PDA

View Full Version : Roman, not if but when?

Cobra Kai
05-24-2006, 02:04 PM
I know this is rehashing an old issue (forgive me, I'm not new at this, just a reclusive lurker on forums) but its looking more and more like Roman is as good as gone.

Below is a excerpt from a Yahoo article...

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
May 23, 2006

OTHER MEETINGS NEWS

Per a league source, here is preliminary list of players expected to be put on the trade block or released in the coming days: Washington Redskins wideout David Patten, Cleveland Browns running back Lee Suggs, Arizona Cardinals running back Marcel Shipp, Oakland Raiders defensive end Bobby Hamilton, Green Bay Packers safety Mark Roman, New Orleans linebacker Courtney Watson and Miami linebacker Eddie Moore

beakerman
05-24-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't think he will be released at all in the coming days, Manual is coming off a severe Injury and isn't 100%, roman is there only real veteran safety, and is not making a large amount of money, and there wouldn't much a savings anyway, might as well take him to camp and see if he gets better. He did have a career year last year, still was just average but you never know......

Green Bud Packer
05-24-2006, 02:13 PM
i hope the pack doesn't just cut him.he's got to be worthy of something.

Pack0514
05-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I think we hold on to him through at least the beginning of camp. By like week 3 or 4 of the preseason, if we dont have any major injuries, I see TT moving him to some team that needs safety help. Im sure we could get something for him..... even if it is only a 7th rounder.

Patler
05-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Lots of factors in the Roman situation:

1. Attitude. Will he accept a backup role, or be a detriment to the team?
2. Injuries. How is Manuel recuperating?
3. Performance. Can Underwood, Culver, Bigby, Boger or Thornburg be a credible 3rd safety?
4. Others. Might a CB be moved to safety?

Roman might not be exactly what you want for your starting safety, but someone needs to show they are a decent backup before Roman will be let go, unless his attitude really is bad. Underwood was unimpressive last year. Thornburg is a special teams guy who happens to play safety. The others are really untested.

Harlan Huckleby
05-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Why don't the coaches tell him that he will be given a fair shot at competing for the starting job? Perhaps they have, I don't know. Maybe Roman feels the Packers made too large of an investment in Manuel not to start him. Damn.

Noodle
05-24-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm with Blue Dog. I thought one of the main things TT was trying to create was a sense of competition for positions -- guys pushing themselves against quality competition in camp.

I don't know what Roman was told, but I sure hope it was that he had as good a shot as anybody to be the starter. And I hope the staff meant it.

MadtownPacker
05-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Whats up Cobra!

Yeah I dont think Roman is going anywheres and he shouldnt. He is more then adequate as a back up and feeling the heat of competition could push himself to valid starter level.

Tarlam!
05-25-2006, 03:37 AM
Welcome to the Forum, Cobra!

I am intrigued by Thhornburg. He came in late last year and was kamikazi on ST. No regard for his body at all. He and Poppy on ST were always first to the ball carrier and laid the meat.

I hope he is not over looked...

Cobra Kai
05-25-2006, 07:27 AM
I suppose I should chime in on my own thread...

Let me preface what I'm about to say by stating that I like what TT has done so far and think for the most part is making the right choices for GB.

However with that said I believe that one thing TT can't stand is dissension among the ranks and anyone that publically shows signs of being a malcontent in any way is writing his ticket out of town. Walker did it, Grady did it, and now Roman has done it. TT's flaw is once a person publically bucks his system that person is marked. I believe that Roman is a marked man and TT thinks he is expendable. He will probably look to get value for him and exhaust trade options but he won't hesitate to drop the axe. I highly doubt (baring injury of course) Mark Roman is a Packer at the start of the season. Its only a matter of when. June 1? During training camp? Final cutdowns?

Harlan Huckleby
05-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Cliff Chrystl made interesting point: Roman beat-out Manuel for starting job in Cincinnatti.

Roman & Manuel are of very similar pedigree. Nobody should assume one guy is better than the other. We need a fair competition.