PDA

View Full Version : Ahman Green - 3rd down back?

Harlan Huckleby
05-24-2006, 04:20 PM
I think Green could help the team coming off the bench. He seemed to loose a little acceleration last year before the injury, but he's still fast. He always was a decent pass receiver and heady player.

I hope and expect Gado will beat-out Green for the starting job. I think it would be to everyone's advantage that Green not take the pounding that has worn him down in past years. I like the idea of bringing Green in as a fresh weapon on third down.

Joemailman
05-24-2006, 04:40 PM
I agree that Green has the skills to be an outstanding third down back. However, I still think there's a chance that he will recover at least some of his lost speed. I'm not sure that Green was ever 100% in 2005 after hurting the knee in 2004. By the time training camp rolls around, he will have had 10 months to rehabilitate the knee. That may be just what he needed to get his career back on track.

Harlan Huckleby
05-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Green is not supposed to be ready to participate in contact until late in training camp.

Another question, if not Green, who do they have to function as a third down back?

Noodle
05-24-2006, 04:58 PM
I think the third-down back is an excellent idea if it turns out from camp that he can't handle 15-18 carries per game.

Green is superb at squeezing out that extra yard, and I seem to remember some stat from his salad days indicating that he very rarely got stuffed for no gain. He also does a good job picking up blitzes, and he is killer at the screen.

I always kind of hated to see him go out on third down, as he presents a legit running and pass-catching threat and would therefore keep the D a little more honest.

Again, my main hope is that he's back to being an every-down back, with occasional relief from Gado. But this is a next best option, and it's a very good one.

Bossman641
05-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Another question, if not Green, who do they have to function as a third down back?

Honestly I don't think anyone. Green is the only player who seems to fit that role. Gado made a few nice catches last year but his hands still aren't reliable enough. Not sure how adapt he is at picking up blitzers either. Davenport doesn't have the receiving ability or quickness to be a 3rd down back.

I hope Green comes back all the way, but at the least I hope he can be a good 3rd down back.

MadtownPacker
05-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Bring back the well executed screen, Ahman still has alot left!

Besides he is in a divorce year! (2003 was the last one)

But I dont think he is going to be the #1 anymore. Samkon better figure out the scheme cuz he is gonna be the guy to start the season.

Row 67
05-24-2006, 07:49 PM
I think TT and M3 are real happy with who they have and how they are progressing. Otherwise, I think you'd have seen them address the RB position in the draft a bit more aggressively. After all, LW was available with our second pick and we passed.

OS PA
05-24-2006, 07:59 PM
If Green returns to even partial 2003 form he should start for us. Although I don't believe he will ever put up those same numbers I think he is still capable of 30-35 carrys a game and a 1000 yard rushing season. Gado on the other hand if we could develop his hands out of the backfield could be a premier 3rd down back, he is a hard nosed runner and fights for the extra yard. Also we're counting out Davenport, he is a hell of a back if he could come in 100%. Because of his injuries and Ahman Greens stellar performances from 2002 to 2004 Davenport hasn't gotten the ability to be a starter, we're lucky that we have been able to keep him for cheap cheap cheap.

chain_gang
05-24-2006, 11:59 PM
I could see green being a great third down back much like Levens was towards the end here in Green Bay. Using him on the screen would be great, sending him out of the backfield on a fly or getting mismatches against a LB would be down right great. He has the vision, the speed, and the experience to really excel in that situation. I think however, he'll be the number one back in camp, and this zone blocking should favor him for the type of runner he is, tough inside, a great cutter, and zam he's taking it to the house. I think he'll have a great year considering the injury he had, I expect nothing less than 1200 yards from him. I think he has the motivation to do it, but does he have the health?

Partial
05-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Am I crazy to think this might be the poopers year? If not, we may be SOL :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
05-25-2006, 12:17 AM
I think however, he'll be the number one back in camp

Green is not even scheduled for contact until the end of training camp.

Forget Green as a starter, ain't gonna happen.

Bretsky
05-25-2006, 12:19 AM
Am I crazy to think this might be the poopers year? If not, we may be SOL :lol:

Yes you are crazy; Da Crapper just can't hold up.

I think Ahman will be fine as a starter. Honestly Green isn't a natural pass route runner and I'm not convinced he'd be that good of a 3rd round back anyways. He needs to run and pound away to be effective. And I still think Gado will struggle in this system like he did in college and last year when he had to make quick hole selections.

Ahman Green in our best bet.

Sure would have been nice to see those Dam Lions pass on Calhoun in round 3, althought TT commented he'd have taken Spitz over Calhoun anyways.

Bretsky
05-25-2006, 12:20 AM
I think however, he'll be the number one back in camp

Green is not even scheduled for contact until the end of training camp.

Forget Green as a starter, ain't gonna happen.

If he heals Green doesn't need that much time to heal. But I thought he was scheduled to bang by training camp. Where did you see the end of it ?

Harlan Huckleby
05-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Green discussed his recovery schedule on news last night.

Gado got much better at reading holes with experience last year. I don't believe anybody can put limits on him in 2006, you just have to wait and see.

Gado was more productive than Green in 2005. Gado is unlikely to be as good as Ahman in his prime, but Green seems to have fallen off.

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2006, 11:41 AM
My opinion is that if Green is 100%, he'll be the starter. If not, Gado will be. Da Poop will be a change of pace back no matter whot he starter is.

ND72
05-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Green will be the starter. Najeh will get his chances, mostly cause he can play FB as well, and he can catch out of the backfield, and play special teams. If we sign any other RB's before came, I'm going to say it, Gado won't be on the team next fall.

Murphy37
05-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Green will be the starter. Najeh will get his chances, mostly cause he can play FB as well, and he can catch out of the backfield, and play special teams. If we sign any other RB's before came, I'm going to say it, Gado won't be on the team next fall.

Cover yourself, you just kicked about a dozen Gado fans in the nuts. I'm pullin for the guy to be a major contributer. It's just too good of a story. He has shown some signs, but your right, it's possible he was just a bright spot on a miserable year. I hope your wrong.

ND72
05-25-2006, 09:39 PM
I keep doing this to myself...I don't mean to come off as a hater. If he comes through, thank GADO he does. I really want him to, and I will pull for him. But I just don't see it.

Murphy37
05-25-2006, 09:55 PM
I keep doing this to myself...I don't mean to come off as a hater. If he comes through, thank GADO he does. I really want him to, and I will pull for him. But I just don't see it.

I didn't take it as "you are a hater". It's your opinion. I just meant that he has such a big fan following, that I thought you'd get ripped for your prediction. Perhaps nobody saw it and your in the clear. :lol:

chain_gang
05-25-2006, 10:04 PM
I just can't see Gado as the starter. I feel teams last year couldn't really stop him because they had no clue who the hell he was, and no game film on him. This year will be a little different. Although that might not matter because if he doesn't fix the fumbling problem he had, he'll be gone pretty quick. I hope all of these backs work out great, but I still think Green is going to have a huge chip on his shoulder, and turn that into a great season, so he can have that final big payday in his career.

Tarlam!
05-26-2006, 02:40 AM
Sure would have been nice to see those Dam Lions pass on Calhoun in round 3, althought TT commented he'd have taken Spitz over Calhoun anyways.

That's a politically correct statement, B. He also said he hates the fact that we face Calhoun twice a year.

I truly believe TT takes Calhoun if the pussies had passed on him.

The Leaper
05-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Green would be a tremendous 3rd down back...although I'm not sure he is ready to become that at this point in his career.

I'm still putting my money on the Pooper to lead this team in rushing in 2006...although it likely will be a very cooperative effort.