PDA

View Full Version : Another university shooting

MJZiggy
02-14-2008, 04:45 PM
My brother works there.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-02-14-shooting_N.htm

BallHawk
02-14-2008, 04:58 PM
This is becoming an all-too common occurrence. Something needs to be done to stop this shit from happening all the goddamn time. Thank God it didn't turn into another Virginia Tech.

LL2
02-14-2008, 05:16 PM
I live about 30 minutes from NIU. It's a good school and terrible crap like this has to happen. It's been on all the Chicago news stations for a while now.

Partial
02-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Scary stuff.

red
02-14-2008, 05:54 PM
I live about 30 minutes from NIU. It's a good school and terrible crap like this has to happen. It's been on all the Chicago news stations for a while now.

i think thats ONE of the problems right there

the media, they jump all over this and turn these idiots into famous people. it almost gives these people some glory

you know?

packinpatland
02-14-2008, 05:57 PM
MJ, your brother OK?

Makes me mad......MSNBC's front page was asking ' are you there......do you have pictures or videos?' Media is getting worse.

red
02-14-2008, 06:02 PM
MJ, your brother OK?

Makes me mad......MSNBC's front page was asking ' are you there......do you have pictures or videos?' Media is getting worse.

they just want their fucking big story. the more dead bodies there is, the more people that will tune in. and the more money they make.

MJZiggy
02-14-2008, 06:07 PM
MJ, your brother OK?

I'm thinking he's probably fine. He works in the media department so he likely wasn't in the lecture hall. But how is a college student supposed to feel safe at all any more? It's insane.

Partial
02-14-2008, 06:11 PM
I have thought about how little protection they have in school buildings. The physics building at UWM is particularly vulnerable as its on the edge of campus and it has huge lecture halls.

Charles Woodson
02-14-2008, 06:34 PM
I have thought about how little protection they have in school buildings. The physics building at UWM is particularly vulnerable as its on the edge of campus and it has huge lecture halls.
well what do you want them to do about it,

Partial
02-14-2008, 06:40 PM
well what do you want them to do about it,

Nothing. It wouldn't be cost effective and it would slow down students.

BallHawk
02-14-2008, 07:09 PM
4 people reported dead, 5 including the gunman.

Tragic. :(

oregonpackfan
02-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Institutions of Higher Learning should be some of the safest places in America.
Tragic. :(

MadtownPacker
02-14-2008, 07:31 PM
"the shooter was "a skinny white guy with a stocking cap on."

Why is it almost always white kids that do this? "Minority" kids will attack a specific target but white kids seem to do this random shooting often.

GrnBay007
02-14-2008, 09:27 PM
How terrible! I can't imagine how scary that would be for HS or college students that have gone through this.

Nice campus....we played our State Volleyball championship tournament there....back in the day.

FavreChild
02-15-2008, 08:58 AM
they just want their fucking big story. the more dead bodies there is, the more people that will tune in. and the more money they make.

I guess there are not enough dead bodies in this shooting. It's barely a story. None of the 24-hour news channels were talking about it last night, except the mistress of exploitation, Nancy Grace. I guess you have to top the number of fatalities at VT; otherwise, it's just "another school shooting."

With that, I have to leave now to go teach class at a large state university.

Joemailman
02-15-2008, 04:46 PM

Why is it almost always white kids that do this? "Minority" kids will attack a specific target but white kids seem to do this random shooting often.

The shooter at Virginia Tech was Asian.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-15-2008, 04:52 PM

And, wasn't it two brothas that shot up D.C.

Scott Campbell
02-15-2008, 06:55 PM

Joemailman
02-15-2008, 08:41 PM
My sister's family lives about a mile from NIU, and their youngest daughter is a student there. She was not on campus at the time of the shooting because of a job interview.

DeKalb, IL is farm country. It is bordered on three sides by corn and soybean fields as far as the eye can see. A lot of people from the Chicago area like going to NIU to get away from the crime and congestion that goes with living in the city. I guess it just goes to show that trouble can happen anywhere.

falco
02-16-2008, 09:11 AM
My sister's family lives about a mile from NIU, and their youngest daughter is a student there. She was not on campus at the time of the shooting because of a job interview.

DeKalb, IL is farm country. It is bordered on three sides by corn and soybean fields as far as the eye can see. A lot of people from the Chicago area like going to NIU to get away from the crime and congestion that goes with living in the city. I guess it just goes to show that trouble can happen anywhere.

amen to that

MadtownPacker
02-17-2008, 11:54 AM

And, wasn't it two brothas that shot up D.C.Wow, 2 times huh? So what about every other time we have heard about this?

MJZiggy
02-17-2008, 12:11 PM
How many have there been? All I can think of besides those already mentioned is Columbine and Crandon.

GrnBay007
02-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Have you heard from your brother?

MJZiggy
02-17-2008, 12:53 PM
No, but I'm taking that as a very good sign. I suppose I should call and make sure everything's ok...

CyclonePackFan
02-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Why the hell does this have to be a racial thing? It doesn't matter if the guy is black, white, Mexican, Asian, or a purple with green polka-dots. Some guy got a gun and for apparently no reason decided the best way to take out his anger/misery was to kill some innocent people who had nothing to do with him.

GrnBay007
02-17-2008, 01:14 PM
No, but I'm taking that as a very good sign. I suppose I should call and make sure everything's ok...

Call him. :D
It will make him feel good you check on him too!

I remember after 9/11 calling all over to check on a couple friends. One lived in London and the other is a pilot. It was a relief to hear they were both fine. The mind races when tragedy like that happens.

GrnBay007
02-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Some guy got a gun and for apparently no reason decided the best way to take out his anger/misery was to kill some innocent people who had nothing to do with him.

It's crazy how the mind works, isn't it? Wonder what "clicks" in them to kill innocent people. I can understand people being so down/angry/confused/miserable to take their own life.....but why others?

MJZiggy
02-17-2008, 02:15 PM

Call him. :D
It will make him feel good you check on him too!

I remember after 9/11 calling all over to check on a couple friends. One lived in London and the other is a pilot. It was a relief to hear they were both fine. The mind races when tragedy like that happens.

He's officially not dead. Didn't even get shot in the leg or anything--was in a building a block away.