PDA

View Full Version : FREE AGENT OG's

Bretsky
02-14-2008, 10:35 PM
An interesting read for anybody convinced TT will play in free agency this year. More interesting is six of the top 32 players are at OG. Here is a profile

8. Alan Faneca, G, Pittsburgh Steelers: If he were four years younger, he'd be even higher. He played at a really high level last season after a so-so 2006. But at 31, how much more does he have left?

11. Jacob Bell, G, Tennessee Titans: He has developed into a power player for the Titans. He is part of a good offensive line that doesn't get the attention it deserves. He has 31 starts the past two seasons.

14. Ryan Lilja, G, Indianapolis Colts: He has developed into a good player the past two years and he is a big reason the Colts' running game has improved. The way guards got paid last year, he will get his this time around.

26. Stacy Andrews, T-G, Cincinnati Bengals: He can play both guard and tackle and filled in nicely last year when injuries hit Willie Anderson. Andrews moved to right tackle and played well.

30. Maurice Williams, T-G, Jacksonville Jaguars: He was benched as the team's right tackle this season when the Jags signed Tony Pashos, but Williams played well when he started the final two months at guard. He can play both positions, which will help his value.

32. Jake Scott, G, Indianapolis Colts: He has started 48 games the past three seasons for a good offense. And he's only 26. At 290 pounds, he's not big enough to play in all systems.

Here is the full article

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10636763

RashanGary
02-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Jake Scott looks like a possibility with our zone scheme.

Bretsky
02-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Jake Scott looks like a possibility with our zone scheme.

Young, upcoming, and probably not going to completely break the bank.
He'd fit the profile TT might look at and would be a great fit.

Patler
02-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Scott does kind of jump out at you for GB doesn't he?

I was surprised to see the article has Williams at #4.

HarveyWallbangers
02-14-2008, 10:52 PM

Andrews and Williams, on the other hand, are big OGs that I don't think would fit the system. Both Colts OGs, I believe, could fit in our system.

RashanGary
02-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Scott, in particular, could be a guy that not many teams go after because of his size. He seems like a natural fit for us with a heavy weight not really being a requirement.

Bretsky
02-14-2008, 11:19 PM

I'd put Williams in the top 20 or so, but top 4 ? :?:

Partial
02-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Randy Moss at #3? :lol:

#1 all the way.

HarveyWallbangers
02-15-2008, 12:49 AM
Lilja or Scott is the most intriguing guy for the Packers--although I like Gibril Wilson also. The one sleeper on this list that I like (and hope he doesn't go the Bears or Vikings) is Bryant Johnson.

According to one report I read, Lilja is a good run blocker despite lacking ideal size. Scott is similar and has been steady. Wilson is one of the most underrated players in the league.

RashanGary
02-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Looks like the best UFA class in quite some time.

KYPack
02-15-2008, 07:34 AM
No way Stacy Andrews is the 4th best guard available.

Scott has had way more experience at guard and is a more effective player.

These "lists" are crazy sometimes.

LL2
02-15-2008, 08:11 AM
I think it would be wise for TT to invest into getting a good guard. The Packer guards were up and down last year. If they can solidify that position and develop talent behind Tauscher and CLifton the Pack will be good running the ball next year.

KYPack
02-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Give me Bell or Scott and I'm happy. Bell is a real horse. Scott is more of a "smarts/quick" guy. Bell will not come cheap, but he'd be the man.

red
02-15-2008, 09:39 AM
no way in hell williams is #4

he's nothing special IMO, well not that special

we got a lot of other talent at DT. i say, let him go and get a huge contract somewhere. then take a 3rd round complemental pick for him in 2009

HarveyWallbangers
02-15-2008, 10:23 AM

Actually, I was thinking about how ordinary it looked. It's pretty similar to most years, and there are several guys that will get locked up before FA begins. Ryan Lilja is a decent player, but when he's the second best available OG, then it's not very strong. He's not a Pro Bowl caliber player. There are about 20 good players in that group, and most of those will get overpaid. We keep talking about Lilja and Scott, but somebody will probably pay them $5M/year, and they aren't worth that much.

Zool
02-15-2008, 10:56 AM

Actually, I was thinking about how ordinary it looked. It's pretty similar to most years, and there are several guys that will get locked up before FA begins. Ryan Lilja is a decent player, but when he's the second best available OG, then it's not very strong. He's not a Pro Bowl caliber player. There are about 20 good players in that group, and most of those will get overpaid. We keep talking about Lilja and Scott, but somebody will probably pay them $5M/year, and they aren't worth that much.

Problem is, they are worth that much in today's NFL. They're worth whatever the market dictates. When it comes time for teams to sign their own players, they have to use the FA deals as a barometer. Meaning that if you want to lock up your own guy who's good but not great, you end up having to pay them as much or more.

I kind of like the NBA's idea with a per player cap. I doubt it would ever fly in the NFL. Too many different positions make disparaging salaries.

Tarlam!
02-15-2008, 11:36 AM
I simply don't believe our GM will let himself be screwed in FA. If he makes a mistake, it will be salary cap friendly.

I agree, a vet guard would be nice, thou. I would have liked Wahle back - I just admired the guy.

HarveyWallbangers
02-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Problem is, they are worth that much in today's NFL. They're worth whatever the market dictates. When it comes time for teams to sign their own players, they have to use the FA deals as a barometer. Meaning that if you want to lock up your own guy who's good but not great, you end up having to pay them as much or more.

I understand that the market dictates what a player is worth, but teams often make bad decisions (in all sports). Problem is that teams often have a hard time containing themselves in UFAs. Somebody probably will overspend on a non-Pro Bowl OG for $5M/year. In a couple of years, they'll realize their mistake and cut that guy (Marco Rivera?). In the end, somebody did overspend money on that player. The market dictated that player's worth, but it doesn't mean the player was worth what the market dictated.

Patler
02-15-2008, 12:14 PM
It can be argued that Carolina overpaid Wahle, too.
In salaries and bonuses, they paid him nearly $18 million for three seasons.

RashanGary
02-15-2008, 01:19 PM

I don't know, Harv. Last year there were only three good players that I remember. . .

The CB in SF and two OT's. After that, I remember seeing a bunch of junk.

This year at least there are 10-15 good starters.

RashanGary
02-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Harv, I won't disagree with you on how the open market will drive up their price. Everyone says the market sets itself, so that is what they are worth but if you draft your own and use tags, tenders and the forsight of locking guys up early, you never have to pay the UFA market price. With that in mind, it's not the market price, it's the market price for those who can't draft and if you have to dive in too deep too often in that market, you're screwed anyway.

Bottom line, UFA should be a last resort for a good team.

That said, there are times where a player is underrated (for whatever reason). Pickett was one of those. Woodson was one of those (with the injury concern). They're aren't many, but a GM should always have his eye open for those too.

Fritz
02-15-2008, 04:19 PM
. "Jake Scott, G, Indianapolis Colts: He has started 48 games the past three seasons for a good offense."

I wouldn't touch Jake Scott. He was slow when he played safety for the Dolphins, and I suppose a slow safety is a quick guard, but still, converted safeties don't usually make good offensive guards.

red
02-15-2008, 04:27 PM

I don't know, Harv. Last year there were only three good players that I remember. . .

The CB in SF and two OT's. After that, I remember seeing a bunch of junk.

This year at least there are 10-15 good starters.

well last year at this time there were quite a few big names too, before they were franchised or resigned. guys like samuel, and briggs

this list will windle down to next to nothing too before free agency really starts

vince
02-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Here's a list of OG free agents from The Huddle Report, along with their ranking and expected contract figures. First dollar figure is expected signing bonus. Second dollar figure is expected per year compensation.

Rank....Name....Height....Weight...Age....Team.... Signing Bonus...Per Yr. $
1 Alan Faneca 6-5 307 31 Steelers $12.00M $7.00M
2 Rex Hadnot 6-2 325 26 Dolphins $10.00M $6.50M
3 Jacob Bell 6-4 295 27 Titans $9.50M $6.50M
4 Jason Brown (RFA) 6-3 320 25 Ravens $9.00M $6.50M
5 Jake Scott 6-5 295 27 Colts $9.00M $5.75M
6 Justin Smiley 6-3 311 26 49ers $7.00M $5.00M
7 Ryan Lilja 6-2 290 26 Colts $5.50M $4.00M
8 Damien Woody 6-3 340 30 Lions $5.00M $3.50M
9 Seth McKinney 6-3 315 29 Browns $4.50M $3.25M
10 Cooper Carlisle 6-5 295 31 Raiders $4.25M $3.00M
11 Chris Kemoeatu (RFA) 6-3 344 25 Steelers $4.00M $3.50M
12 Ruben Brown 6-3 304 36 Bears $4.00M $3.00M
13 Jamar Nesbit 6-4 328 31 Saints $4.00M $3.00M
14 Stephen Peterman (RFA) 6-4 323 26 Lions $2.50M $2.75M
15 Milford Brown 6-5 330 28 Rams $2.50M $2.50M

A few others:
P.J. Alexander UFA Atlanta Falcons
Brian Rimpf RFA Baltimore Ravens
Keydrick Vincent UFA Baltimore Ravens
Fred Weary UFA Houston Texans

Freak Out
02-15-2008, 05:48 PM
I remember when a friend (a Lions fan) was talking trash after the Lions signed him. I believe it was after one of the Patriot SB wins. I just reminded him that they had signed a guard....not a QB. :lol:

KYPack
02-15-2008, 09:20 PM
I remember when a friend (a Lions fan) was talking trash after the Lions signed him. I believe it was after one of the Patriot SB wins. I just reminded him that they had signed a guard....not a QB. :lol:

Who, man?

Damien Woody?

Any GM that gives him a $5.00M Bonus and $3.50M per outta be drawn and quartered.

HarveyWallbangers
02-20-2008, 02:09 AM
I think Lilja was resigned by Indy today.