PDA

View Full Version : Larry Fitzgerald contract mess

KYPack
02-15-2008, 09:54 AM
As Packer fans, we've all seen what happens when the cap gets out of whack. A major cap snafu is going on in Arizona right now. Larry Fitzgerald has quietly become the highest paid player in the NFL (or one of 'em, anyway) It remains to be seen whether the Cardinals will try to trade Fitzgerald. Due to escalators in his contract, he's scheduled to earn salaries of $14.59 million in 2008 and $17.355 million in 2009. That's nearly $32 million over two years, and then he'll hit the open market at only 26 years of age.

The Cardinals could, if they so choose, pay him the money for the next two seasons. But it would then cost more than $20 million to retain his rights via the franchise tag for the 2010 season.

There's no good way out of this for the Cardinals. Even if they want to extend his deal, the price to do so would have to be enormous. He's already in position to earn $30 million between now and September 2009, at which time his full salary for that season would become guaranteed. Thus, anything less than $30 million in guaranteed money as part of a new long-term contract makes no sense.

That same line of thinking applies to any other team, however. If he's traded, he still has a contract that pays him huge money over the next two years. What team would want to give up draft picks for the privilege of having their nuts promptly dropped into a vise?

So it could be that Fitzgerald finishes out the deal, pockets the $30 million, and then lets the market dictate his worth for 2010 and beyond.

It's unbelievable that this contract would pay that kind of money and potentially lose the guy after two years.

Patler
02-15-2008, 10:33 AM
There's no good way out of this for the Cardinals. Even if they want to extend his deal, the price to do so would have to be enormous. He's already in position to earn $30 million between now and September 2009, at which time his full salary for that season would become guaranteed. Thus, anything less than $30 million in guaranteed money as part of a new long-term contract makes no sense.

If they can't pay the bill, they seem to have only two options, renegotiate or release him. I can't imagine any other team wanting to trade for that contract, unless it is as part of a renegotiation/extension.

If he is released, it is unlikely a new contract with another team would include $30 million guaranteed over the next two seasons. That being the case, it would make some sense for him to renegotiate with the Cardinals for less in guaranteed money over the next two years, if he wants to stay there.

Eugene Parker is his agent.

Lurker64
02-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Aren't contracts frequently structured where the last year or two pay an enormous amount of money, with the expectation that the player will be extended before those years if he outperforms his contract or cut if he doesn't?

I imagine in Arizona they're looking at a five year extension or something at this point.

KYPack
02-15-2008, 01:24 PM
There was something else at play with this contract. You often see people post that a player should be signed with "an incentive laden contract". Well, Fitzgerald signed one of those babies. And he hit all the incentives. So now they've got a monster contract that they are painted into a corner on.

They can do some maneuvering, but they've got a huge cap hit coming. Unless they can get some team to take him in a trade, but no one will take on that load, no matter how they re-swizzle the contract.

That's the downside of "an incentive laden contract".

Somebody might have a great season with one.

twoseven
02-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Where did they set the bar for him that he made so much off of incentives? Great stats, but not impossible numbers.

YEAR......REC.....YDS......AVG.....LNG.....TD..... .FUM.....LST
2007........100....1409.....14.1......48......10.. ......3.........3
Career.....330....4544.....13.8......57......34... .....4.........3

Patler
02-15-2008, 02:54 PM
There was something else at play with this contract. You often see people post that a player should be signed with "an incentive laden contract". Well, Fitzgerald signed one of those babies. And he hit all the incentives. So now they've got a monster contract that they are painted into a corner on.

They can do some maneuvering, but they've got a huge cap hit coming. Unless they can get some team to take him in a trade, but no one will take on that load, no matter how they re-swizzle the contract.

That's the downside of "an incentive laden contract".

Somebody might have a great season with one.

I would really like to see the details of his contract. He seemed to have double-edged incentives, that not only paid out immediately when he achieved the performance levels, but also increased his future salaries. As best I can determine, he has already been paid about $21 million over 4 years, and he has the ungodly years 5 and 6 yet to go. So far, as you said, he has hit every incentive and if he hits the remaining his contract value was $60 million.

It makes you wonder what the incentives were. In the 4 years he has been in the league he has 330 receptions, 4,544 yards and 34 TDs. During that same time period, Donald Driver has 344 receptions, 4772 yards and 24 TDs. I'm not trying to say one is as good as or better than the other, but incentives are generally cold numerical targets, and it looks like Driver would have hit most of Fitzgerald's targets, too. My point is that Fitzgeralds targets weren't superman targets, they were readily attainable to reward him with $10 million/year on a 6 year contract.

KYPack
02-15-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't know for sure, but on the radio they said it was 100 grabs and the Pro Bowl appearance that did the most damage.

KYPack
02-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Where did they set the bar for him that he made so much off of incentives? Great stats, but not impossible numbers.

YEAR......REC.....YDS......AVG.....LNG.....TD..... .FUM.....LST
2007........100....1409.....14.1......48......10.. ......3.........3
Career.....330....4544.....13.8......57......34... .....4.........3

Maybe it was the 3 lost fumbles?

twoseven
02-15-2008, 03:13 PM
I don't know for sure, but on the radio they said it was 100 grabs and the Pro Bowl appearance that did the most damage.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The guy was the third overall pick in 04', what the hell did they expect he'd do? Who's judging talent and forecasting potential over in AZ, Jethro Clampett?

Fritz
02-15-2008, 04:22 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The guy was the third overall pick in 04', what the hell did they expect he'd do? Who's judging talent and forecasting potential over in AZ, Jethro Clampett?

No. Ellie Mae.

Fritz
02-15-2008, 04:25 PM
As Packer fans, we've all seen what happens when the cap gets out of whack. A major cap snafu is going on in Arizona right now. Larry Fitzgerald has quietly become the highest paid player in the NFL (or one of 'em, anyway) It remains to be seen whether the Cardinals will try to trade Fitzgerald. Due to escalators in his contract, he's scheduled to earn salaries of $14.59 million in 2008 and $17.355 million in 2009. That's nearly $32 million over two years, and then he'll hit the open market at only 26 years of age.

The Cardinals could, if they so choose, pay him the money for the next two seasons. But it would then cost more than $20 million to retain his rights via the franchise tag for the 2010 season.

That same line of thinking applies to any other team, however. If he's traded, he still has a contract that pays him huge money over the next two years. What team would want to give up draft picks for the privilege of having their nuts promptly dropped into a vise?

So it could be that Fitzgerald finishes out the deal, pockets the $30 million, and then lets the market dictate his worth for 2010 and beyond.

It's unbelievable that this contract would pay that kind of money and potentially lose the guy after two years.

Hmm, let's see. There's the Raiders. And if Mike Holmgren has enough heft up in Seattle, he might give it a shot. What does he care if Seattle's sal cap is a living disaster after next year? Oh, and you can never count out Matt Millen. He seems about due for some free agent stupidity particularly if it's involving a wide receiver.

In short, any team that is slightly desperate and has short-sighted ownership and/or management.

cpk1994
02-16-2008, 08:19 AM

Hmm, let's see. There's the Raiders. And if Mike Holmgren has enough heft up in Seattle, he might give it a shot. What does he care if Seattle's sal cap is a living disaster after next year? Oh, and you can never count out Matt Millen. He seems about due for some free agent stupidity particularly if it's involving a wide receiver.

In short, any team that is slightly desperate and has short-sighted ownership and/or management.I disagree on Holmgren. Even if he had enough heft, I don't think it is wise to base a decision on a coach who is leaving. Matt Millen could be a possibility, but with them having Calvin Johnson, Millen would achieve new levels of stupidity, not to mention slapping Johnson in the face, by aquiring Fitzgerald.

DannoMac21
02-16-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm a HUGE Fitzgerald fan, as shown by my signature, but that contract is ridiculous. Just when you think the Cardinals are doing things right, they show you otherwise. I would love for the Pack to get this guy somehow though.

pbmax
02-16-2008, 06:28 PM
From the Arizona Republic, Kent Somers, November 20th 2007
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/KentSomers/11069

Keeping Pace?

Meanwhile, the Cardinals and Pace's agent, Pat Dye Jr., remain curious about Pace's value. He's a hybrid outside linebacker and defensive end who has played well in 10 starts this year. Still, it's only 10 starts, and ascertaining Pace's exact value is a challenge.

Is he a pass-rushing defensive end? A strong side outside linebacker? It might take a few more weeks for the two sides to sort that out and pay him accordingly.

Even if those two deals are reached by the end of the year, Graves has more work ahead.

There is a good chance receiver Larry Fitzgerald will meet incentives clauses that will boost his 2008 salary in excess of $14 million. That's an untenable number for the Cardinals to fit under the cap, so they would like to extend Fitzgerald's current deal, which is set to expire in 2009.

Fitzgerald's base salary for 2008 is $1.089 million. But that will increase by $8.5 million because of bonuses: a $3.5 million incentive based on playing time and performance and a $5 million boost for making the Pro Bowl in 2005.

By meeting those goals, Fitzgerald could qualify for an additional $5 million bump. To earn that he needs either to be ranked in the top five in receptions over two consecutive seasons (2004 through '07) or be selected to the original ballot for the Pro Bowl this year.

The receptions clause will be hard to meet, because Fitzgerald missed three games in 2006 and finished with 69 catches. But barring injury, Fitzgerald could well make the Pro Bowl this year. He leads the NFC in receptions and is second in yardage.

If he earns that bonus, Fitzgerald's salary will increase to about $14.6 million.

Fitzgerald's agent, Eugene Parker, did not return phone calls, and Graves said addressing Fitzgerald's contract will be a priority.

"Obviously, he's under contract for two more years, but it will be our focus to try and get his number down to a more manageable number," Graves said.

CaliforniaCheez
02-16-2008, 11:10 PM
I think we will find ourselves missing Andrew Brandt.

Patler
02-17-2008, 04:55 AM

I don't think it will be a problem. The guy they hired seems to be highly thought of, too, and is coming from a program with a lot more cap space for 2008 than the Packers have.

I don't mean to discredit what Brandt has done. The way Favre's contract was handled, his success in getting rookies signed and in camp should not be downplayed. However, I think he can be replaced by another skillful negotiator.

Ask yourself this. Would you have been this concerned with losing Brandt three years ago when the Packers were hamstrung in trying to retain Wahle and Rivera? When they were well over the salary cap at this time of year, and were less than a million under the cap even after releasing Wahle and some others?

I think cap health has as much, if not more to do with the actions of the GM than it does with the contract negotiator. With as many young players as the Packers have, and their avoidance of big dollar free agents their salary cap should be in good shape.. Young players are cheap. When the Packers GM kept an old, old roster they had salary cap problems just like a lot of other teams.

Scott Campbell
02-17-2008, 07:53 AM

I don't think it will be a problem. The guy they hired seems to be highly thought of, too, and is coming from a program with a lot more cap space for 2008 than the Packers have.

I don't mean to discredit what Brandt has done. The way Favre's contract was handled, his success in getting rookies signed and in camp should not be downplayed. However, I think he can be replaced by another skillful negotiator.

Ask yourself this. Would you have been this concerned with losing Brandt three years ago when the Packers were hamstrung in trying to retain Wahle and Rivera? When they were well over the salary cap at this time of year, and were less than a million under the cap even after releasing Wahle and some others?

I think cap health has as much, if not more to do with the actions of the GM than it does with the contract negotiator. With as many young players as the Packers have, and their avoidance of big dollar free agents their salary cap should be in good shape.. Young players are cheap. When the Packers GM kept an old, old roster they had salary cap problems just like a lot of other teams.

Agreed. The cap guy lays out the options, but Ted still chooses. Doesn't the cap guy typically report the GM?

The Leaper
02-18-2008, 07:50 AM
I think cap health has as much, if not more to do with the actions of the GM than it does with the contract negotiator.

I agree. If you make too many Jamal Reynolds mistakes, it doesn't matter who the hell your financial guy is...the numbers won't add up.