PDA

View Full Version : Will Thompson handle the offseason differently this year?

PackerBlues
02-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Last off-season, I was one of the biggest complainers when it comes to how Thompson was doing his job. I wanted to see Moss in Green and Gold (for Favre's sake, if for no other reason), and I wanted to see a veteran RB and perhaps TE signed, and also a veteran guard. None of that happened though, and the Packers still managed to go 13-3. Do I feel like a dumbass for all of my complaining? In all honesty, yes, a little. :oops: But, Moss did end up setting an NFL record for TD's in a season, the Packers had no run game until Grant showed up around week six, Bubba was not much of a factor at all, and M3 played "musical guards" (rotating) all season long.

It does not look like the Packers will lose any of their more talented players in the off-season. I could see KGB getting cut because of his high salary, and Williams may hit the road if Thompson does not put a tender on him or hit him with the franchise tag (not likely), but otherwise this team already looks to be in great shape going into next season.

So, my question is, will Thompson approach the off-season differently this year? Will having the 30'th pick overall, with no real pressing needs at any one position cause him to change the way he does things in comparison to previous off-seasons?

On Offense:

QB.......... Rogers should have enough knowledge of the system by now to take over for Favre if needed. So, IMO, QB is not a problem position.

WR..........Short of signing Moss or Chad Johnson, I don't know if you really could do much to improve this position.

RB..........Grant is our guy, and Wynn showed just enough to hold onto. We have depth at the position, and an upgrade from what we have now would be a suprise.

FB..........IMO, the only way this position gets upgraded would be through free agency. Sure we could draft a FB if he is the "best player available", but not very likely. I think it's more likely that the Packers will go with what they have at FB.

TE..........Short of trading for Jeremy Shockey, I don't know that this position is in need of an upgrade. Thompson was comfortable going into last season with what we had, but perhaps he may want to rethink Bubba's importance to the team, he showed flashes of his old self......inbetween injuries anyway.

OT..........Clifton and Tauscher are both still playing great, but they are both getting up there in years. Not a position to worry about just yet....

OG..........I think Favre made these guys look better than they were, simply by getting rid of the ball quickly, and avoiding the sack. Personally, IMO, these guys played like shit! It was bad enough to watch the pocket collapse as easily as it did, but these guys should have been embarrassed by their performance week to week. This is a position that I would love to see upgraded via Free Agency, short of that, would another rookie have as much value as opposed to just being patient with what we have?

Defense:

DE..........Kampman is playing the position as good as anyone in the game. I just do not think that KGB is worth what he is getting paid, as a situational player (pass rusher). Considering KGB's salary, I would not be suprised to see him cut (unless he restructures his contract). Is there a better Free Agent DE out there though?

DT..........Picket is the man, and Williams is probably as good as gone. I think Jenkins has great potential, and who really knows about Harrell yet. All I know, is that our D-line did not come close to putting pressure on the opposing QB in the games that we needed to see it. If this positon can be improved through Free Agency, I really hope that Thompson opens up his wallet and spends if he has to.

CB..........Woodson and Harris are both getting a little long in the tooth. Harris looked like complete shit against Burress in the playoffs. I do not think this position needs immediate upgrading, but it sure as hell would not hurt to look to the future via the draft if the right guy is available.

LB..........Barnett and Hawk are great. IMO, Poppinga is a meathead. The packers could use an upgrade at the position, preferably someone who can play in pass coverage. Again though as with many other positions on the team, it is not very pressing to replace Poppinga, it would be nice to though.

S..........Nick Collins and Atari Bigby look to be doing ok. I do not see this as a position that needs improving all that badly.

The Packers have a few players who will eventually have to be replaced due to their age......these same guys also happen to still be playing at a pro-bowl level, so there should not be any big rush to replace them. The young guys for the most part are playing great football. So, it seems like no one single position is in need of an upgrade any more so than any other position. So, if you buy into that, and taking into consideration the Packers position in the draft at #30............do you think that Thompson will do things differently this offseason? :?:

MadtownPacker
02-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Good stuff man.

I think TT is gonna drop some major bankroll on a a few select player. G, DL, CB and LB is what I think he will be actively pursuing. With the #30 pick he will feel like he is playing with house money and make some risky moves.

He better.

LL2
02-15-2008, 02:45 PM
I think TT is gonna drop some major bankroll on a a few select player. G, DL, CB and LB is what I think he will be actively pursuing.

I hope your right. TT can't be a cheap ass every year. After getting so close to the SB he better try to bring in some key players.

HarveyWallbangers
02-15-2008, 03:01 PM
RB..........Grant is our guy, and Wynn showed just enough to hold onto. We have depth at the position, and an upgrade from what we have now would be a suprise.

Wynn showed that the character issues that dogged him in college might still be a problem in the pros. I think it's more likely that they keep Jackson over Wynn and bring in another RB.

TE..........Short of trading for Jeremy Shockey, I don't know that this position is in need of an upgrade. Thompson was comfortable going into last season with what we had, but perhaps he may want to rethink Bubba's importance to the team, he showed flashes of his old self......inbetween injuries anyway.

I'm thinking Bubba is gone. He's basically a blocking TE at this point. Those guys are pretty easy to acquire, and at a far smaller salary. This position needs an influx of talent.

DE..........Kampman is playing the position as good as anyone in the game. I just do not think that KGB is worth what he is getting paid, as a situational player (pass rusher). Considering KGB's salary, I would not be suprised to see him cut (unless he restructures his contract). Is there a better Free Agent DE out there though?

If you are for keeping Franks, then I don't understand this. KGB and Bubba are getting paid relatively similarly, and as a backup player, KGB's pass rush abilities are much more important and much harder to find than Bubba's blocking abilities

Mostly agree with your other takes.

twoseven
02-15-2008, 03:03 PM
IMO, Poppinga is a meathead.
Now that's funny. You don't usually see the word meathead included in player critiques. :)

Am I crazy, or does cutting Franks and signing Crumpler sound not so bad?

MJZiggy
02-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Depends. How's Crumpler's blocking?

Patler
02-15-2008, 03:15 PM

Repeat after me; "Tory Humphrey, Tory Humphrey, Tory Humphrey". :lol:

The Packer website even has a feature article about him!
Seriously, I think he might be a decent second tight end who will be a better receiver than Franks and a better blocker than Lee.

GoPackGo
02-15-2008, 03:18 PM

I think he might be a decent second tight end who will be a better receiver than Franks and a better blocker than Lee.

Wouldn't that make him our #1 tight end? :D
Theres no way TT goes after him

Patler
02-15-2008, 03:28 PM

I think he might be a decent second tight end who will be a better receiver than Franks and a better blocker than Lee.

Wouldn't that make him our #1 tight end? :D
Theres no way TT goes after him

You edited too much of my quote. I was referring to Tory Humphrey as a better receiver than Franks and maybe a better blocker than Lee.

MJZiggy
02-15-2008, 03:36 PM
I think I'm gonna sit back and figure that TT took all kinds of criticism last year and most of the decisions he made were spot on. I'm thinking he might pick up a guard to replace Colledge (let that poor boy be a tackle) and maybe a CB, but I think he'll stay true to form and only pick up maybe 1 or 2 free agents, but not until B's ears are about to blow steam out of them from the pent up frustration....(which will probably be at least 20 minutes into the signing period.)

GoPackGo
02-15-2008, 03:42 PM
You edited too much of my quote. I was referring to Tory Humphrey as a better receiver than Franks and maybe a better blocker than Lee.

I see

RashanGary
02-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Will Thompson handle the offseason differently this year?

Probably not. The results might be different because there is a better crop of UFA's and many might be willing to come to GB to be on a competitor this season as opposed to avoiding us like the plague last year.

I think Ted Thompson will always do what he thinks is right. He'll avoid the big mistakes but be aggressive with the big opertunities.

I'm excited that he'll do the same, but I'm also excited that the results may be different.

TheRaven
02-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Good post.

I disagree that Harris looked like absolute sh*t against Plax. Burress made some great plays that Harris had at least decent coverage on. Could he have played better? Probably. But it wasn't just a total breakdown by him. Give Burress some credit.

I also disagree that DT needs to be addressed through FA. I think we will be fine here.

Fritz
02-15-2008, 04:15 PM
It's the offseason, Raven. Don't be such a spoilsport.

Dammit TT didn't sign Wahle! The Packers are screwed at guard!

TT should be fired if he doesn't sign Crumpler, Zach Thomas and ______ (insert aging but well-known free agent name here).

Oh my God, the rest of the NFC North has had a kick-ass, aggressive offseason, and they've all caught up to the Packers!

Corey Williams better get re-signed or the Packers will go 3-13 this year!

Come on, Raven. Get into the spirit. You can do it.

HarveyWallbangers
02-15-2008, 04:26 PM

Seriously, I think he might be a decent second tight end who will be a better receiver than Franks and a better blocker than Lee.

Dude is like 6'2". I wouldn't cut on Tory Humphrey. I had read similar reports early in the offseason that the coaches liked him, but that faded a bit as the summer went on. I think he's one of those 3rd TE types.

Deputy Nutz
02-15-2008, 04:51 PM
I just don't see Thompson breaking the bank on any one free agent this spring. I can see him paying a healthy contract to an offensive guard that is worthy. I can see him picking up some veterans to compete for roster spots, but not starting positions. Crumpler forget about it. Franks can still play football, just not at 6 million bucks. I still wouldn't cut him unless you have an equal or better option at tight end, and the Packers won't have that unless they hit one in the draft.

The Packers biggest need is depth and starting caliber play in the interior of the line. Tony Moll is the Packers number one reserve along with Junius Coston. That is a really shitty sentence.

Moving on. KGB gets double digit sacks, any other team will pay him 7 million to do that in 2008. If the Packers had an equal or better replacement then I say let him go, but Micheal Montgomery is surely not the pass rusher that Kabeer is.

Poppinga isn't great, hell he might not be average, but again how much do you spend to replace him? I still think saving on a guy like Poppinga and investing the money on a better pass rush is a bigger issue. Maybe spend it on a better defensive system, I don't know...

Plodding along, the Packers secondary could use some adjustments, at safety, the Packers have Bigby, Collins, and Rouse. You would think out of those three the Packers could come up with two servicable safeties. Another draft pick might not help at safety, maybe a couple of journeymen safeties will help secure the two spots.

Cornerback is interesting because you have talented but very raw, and inexperience back up, and you have two really old, experienced starters that are a year away from collecting social security.

RashanGary
02-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Franks at 6 mil is just not working out. If you really have a hole burning in your pocket because we have cap room, then go spend 6 mil per year on a really good guard or someone who acctually makes a postive difference in games at any position.

This whole "ah well, he's better than an NFLE scrub, might as well pay him 6 mil per year" thing just gets out of hand.

My attitude is why not spend it on a good player. Further more, if it takes a year to find that player, I don't care because having Franks or not having Franks doesn't make one iota of difference on the outcome of next season.

Shit, if you really have to have it spent right now then go extend Jennings or Grant or something just to say it's being used so you don't have a little panic attack about not having every penny spent during these couple years after the thin Sherman drafts.

PackerBlues
02-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Good stuff man.

I think TT is gonna drop some major bankroll on a a few select player. G, DL, CB and LB is what I think he will be actively pursuing. With the #30 pick he will feel like he is playing with house money and make some risky moves.

He better.

Thanks Mad, the thing is, the Packers don't seem to be in bad enough shape in any given position that Thompson should feel that he would have to make any risky moves. LOL, besides, what would be risky to Thomposn? Signing a guy over the age of 30? Making a trade involving giving away a draft pick? Trading up? :roll:

Wynn showed that the character issues that dogged him in college might still be a problem in the pros. I think it's more likely that they keep Jackson over Wynn and bring in another RB.

Could you fill me in on the character issue stuff? I usually keep up on this stuff pretty good, but I did go a couple of months without internet last year(pure hell) , so I must have missed something.

I'm thinking Bubba is gone. He's basically a blocking TE at this point. Those guys are pretty easy to acquire, and at a far smaller salary. This position needs an influx of talent.

I agree Harv, but does the TE position need the influx any more or less than any other position?

If you are for keeping Franks, then I don't understand this. KGB and Bubba are getting paid relatively similarly, and as a backup player, KGB's pass rush abilities are much more important and much harder to find than Bubba's blocking abilities.
Mostly agree with your other takes.

Sorry Harv, sometimes its hard for a person to convey what they mean with the written word, without laying on the sarcasm extremely thick. (been tryin to avoid doing that) When I said that Thompson may want to rethink Bubba's importance to the team, I meant that maybe Thompson should start looking for a new TE, because Bubba may not be worth keeping. Same goes for KGB in my opinion, although, you are right about KGB, unless a noticeably better player were to become available, and considering the leap in cap space........maybe we would be better off keeping KGB. I dunno. :huh:

Now that's funny. You don't usually see the word meathead included in player critiques. :)

:lol: I actually like Pops, but I think the Packers could improve by replacing him. As for Franks for Crumpler, sounds good to me, I think that Lee is the man right now, and that Thompson may want to wait and see how Humphrey looks coming back from his injury. As much as I have always liked Bubba, I think his time in GB is about done.

Probably not. The results might be different because there is a better crop of UFA's and many might be willing to come to GB to be on a competitor this season as opposed to avoiding us like the plague last year.

I think Ted Thompson will always do what he thinks is right. He'll avoid the big mistakes but be aggressive with the big opertunities.

I'm excited that he'll do the same, but I'm also excited that the results may be different.

I think your right JH, in a way, I would expect Thompson to simply continue to draft the "best player available", especially considering that in all honesty, the team is pretty good at almost every position at this point in time. As for Thompson's use of Free Agency this off season........I think that by now, I trust in what Thompson is doing, I may not always agree, but after last season, I will give him the benefit of the doubt every time.

PackerBlues
02-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Nutz, I agreed with everything that you said......but I loved this part:

The Packers biggest need is depth and starting caliber play in the interior of the line. Tony Moll is the Packers number one reserve along with Junius Coston. That is a really shitty sentence.

Good stuff. :)

RashanGary
02-15-2008, 05:36 PM
I think your right JH, in a way, I would expect Thompson to simply continue to draft the "best player available", especially considering that in all honesty, the team is pretty good at almost every position at this point in time. As for Thompson's use of Free Agency this off season........I think that by now, I trust in what Thompson is doing, I may not always agree, but after last season, I will give him the benefit of the doubt every time.

Sometimes you go about your buisness as usual and results end up a certain way. Then the next year, you do the same thing and you end up with Woodson. Then the next year, you do things similar and you end up with nobody but a year later you do the same thing and you end up with 4 UFA's.

Each off season is different. I do think there is going to be a tendancy not to have many high priced UFA's, but I also think over the course of Thompsons tenure that you'll see some really effective ones too (Woodson, PIckett and more to come).

Bottom line, I think he'll balance things the way he knows how and the results will depend on the oppertunity at positions of need, not on forcing something. Listening ot Thompson, I think he has a way of approaching the markets that is designed to take advantage of oppertunity without making mistakes by forcing.

Bretsky
02-15-2008, 06:41 PM

Who was that Atlas Herron guy you kept hyping ? :lol:

I see you've found a new victim :wink:

Scott Campbell
02-15-2008, 06:47 PM

How did you get that read? He was hurt all year.

Is that you Ted? :lol:

Patler
02-16-2008, 02:06 PM

You aren't going to let me forget that one, are you?? :oops: :oops:

Herrion was just a guess based on some things I saw in the way he was handled.

What I find intriguing about Humphrey is that both MM and TT, even a coupe weeks into the season, brought him up as a disappointing loss to IR, and he was gone right after training camp started. He was mentioned several times, and TT again mentioned him at the end of the year. They seem to have some expectations for him.

I'll probably be wrong again, and he will be relaesed before camp even starts! :lol: :lol:

Patler
02-16-2008, 02:13 PM

How did you get that read? He was hurt all year.

Is that you Ted? :lol:

Ya, but he was around in 2006 for half the season. He was fast enough to play on kick coverage teams for the Packers that year, and was the one they prepared to be the second fullback when Henderson got hurt and was out.

Fritz
02-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Patler, just say "Odell Thurman" to Bretsky (or me), and he (and I) will turn red-faced and stop teasing.

Patler
02-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Patler, just say "Odell Thurman" to Bretsky (or me), and he (and I) will turn red-faced and stop teasing.

Ya Bretsky!!!!! What about Odell Thurman!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Thanks, Fritz! I had almost forgotten about that!)

run pMc
02-19-2008, 11:20 AM
high-priced free agents expect to start. If you sign Crumpler, do you start him over Lee? Do you make them "suffer the indignity" (sracasm) of having a camp battle?

Franks is a decent player, but overpaid. KGB would be harder to replace.

I think GB needs most immediate help at OL, but TT might be looking to draft for the future.
Consider this team 2 years from today: Driver will start to show his age. Harris will probably be a nickel CB and Woodson a S. Both OT will be worn down. KGB will probably be gone. How much gas will Kampman have left in the tank? The ageless Favre will probably be gone. Assuming he's not locked up, Grant will be an UFA. Not sure, but I think Jennings will be a FA as well.

I think TT will handle offseason differently, if only because he's managed to build some depth and improve special teams. I think we'll know pretty fast whether he goes all-in for a push to the Super Bowl next year or builds with the post-Favre era in mind.

The Leaper
02-19-2008, 11:26 AM
I think TT will handle offseason differently, if only because he's managed to build some depth and improve special teams. I think we'll know pretty fast whether he goes all-in for a push to the Super Bowl next year or builds with the post-Favre era in mind.

I don't expect to see Thompson move "all-in"...but you can certainly make at least one signficant FA move, and OG seems a likely choice. It is one of the deeper positions in free agency this year.

Believing you can reach the Super Bowl at any point in the near future without massively upgrading the interior OL is crazy talk. As we've seen from Colledge, Spitz and the rest, relying on college talent to come in and immediately shore up the OL is iffy at best.

Use the draft to continue fleshing out depth at LB, CB, RB, TE, OT and DE.

I'd use FA to shore up that interior OL for the near future. You've already got Colledge and Spitz. They are still young and have room to develop in the next 2-3 years. What good is another green rookie going to do there? Bringing in a veteran lets this team actually have a chance at a title next year.

Merlin
02-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Good stuff man.

He better.

You have been watching 3T all these years right? Has he ever shown he would do anything remotely close to this? I see him trading down because the draft is horrible this year and no one left @ #30 will be worth first round money. Look for him to trade out of the first round and pick up 27 other guys, half of whom make the roster as we continue our push to be the youngest team in the NFL every year.

Seriously though I wouldn't at all be surprised if he traded out of the first for a pile of picks and then kept the cream of the crop. If it ain't broke don't fix it (at least from his perspective) or as he would say "We like who we have here" and "We hope to be successful".

MJZiggy
02-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Good stuff man.

He better.

You have been watching 3T all these years right? Has he ever shown he would do anything remotely close to this? I see him trading down because the draft is horrible this year and no one left @ #30 will be worth first round money. Look for him to trade out of the first round and pick up 27 other guys, half of whom make the roster as we continue our push to be the youngest team in the NFL every year.

Seriously though I wouldn't at all be surprised if he traded out of the first for a pile of picks and then kept the cream of the crop. If it ain't broke don't fix it (at least from his perspective) or as he would say "We like who we have here" and "We hope to be successful".

He's said those things in the past, and in the past he's also brought in Pickett and Woodson. He has the cap space to do whatever he wants this year and he has been quoted (referring to stockpiling draft picks) that he doesn't have to do that this year. I see no reason for him to trade out of that pick if there's someone there that he likes. He hasn't traded his first rounder since he got here and I see no compelling reason he'd do so this time.

PackerBlues
02-19-2008, 01:59 PM
I will not even pretend to understand the different tenders that a team can place on a Free Agent (restricted or otherwise), but if Thompson could pick up a Free Agent from another team by spending a draft pick, I could actually see him doing so this year. I do not for one second think that he would give up two 1'st round picks on any player, but I could see him spending a single first round pick or less for a player that he might think would be a good fit for the team.

Other than what I see as a desperate need to fix the O-line, it seems to me that Thompson is in a unique position this off season in the fact that he does not have any real pressing needs at any one position. From that standpoint, he could use his draft picks in any number of ways........trade up, trade down, use them to pick up another teams player with a tender that he feels willing to take, or trade the draft picks straight up to another team for players that the other team would be willing to trade.

I really do not see any reason why Thompson would feel that he would have to use his draft picks this year to take the "best player available", yet at the same time, he could do just that to simply provide further depth for the team.

Personally, I would first of all hope that he would find a way to improve the O-line, IMO a veteran free agent would be the best option for that........ but who knows. After that, be it through a coaching change or adding a dominant pass rusher or whatever.......... the Defense needs to be able to pressure opposing QB's a hell of a lot better than it did last season.

Now for my attempt at winning the "Understatement of the Year" award: I think it's going to be a very interesting off-season. :)

woodbuck27
02-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Very good thread. :)

PACKERS FOREVER!

Green Bud Packer
02-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Will Thompson handle the offseason differently this year?

Probably not.

All off-seasons are handled differently.It depends on so many varibles as to how you can play it that no two can be alike.

Teds first year he let go big money guys to rescue the cap.
His next year he fired some dead weight.
His third year he added the guys to get to the N.F.C. title game.
Who knows what this year will bring but it'll be different.

Bretsky
02-19-2008, 08:51 PM

You aren't going to let me forget that one, are you?? :oops: :oops:

Herrion was just a guess based on some things I saw in the way he was handled.

What I find intriguing about Humphrey is that both MM and TT, even a coupe weeks into the season, brought him up as a disappointing loss to IR, and he was gone right after training camp started. He was mentioned several times, and TT again mentioned him at the end of the year. They seem to have some expectations for him.

I'll probably be wrong again, and he will be relaesed before camp even starts! :lol: :lol:

Sorry, my memory (my wife would say my good memory only applies to sports) is just too good with past transgressions; of course I have many many of them myself as well :lol:

KYPack
02-19-2008, 09:42 PM

Fritz, B, you may be vindicated yet.

Odell Thurman will be back in Stripes this season.

Everyone makes out like he was Vick or something, but he got hosed!

Goodell gave him a 2 yr hit for missing a wiz quiz and a DUI. That shit is bad & all but Pat Kearney got off the hook clean for a DUI.

OT is one of the most instinctive and active young LB's I've seen come in the NFL. I think he'll play up a storm this year.

ND72
02-19-2008, 09:49 PM

Wynn won't even be on the roster next year, write it down.

PackerBlues
02-21-2008, 12:53 PM

Sorry, I forgot to write it down........and I am guessing Thompson did too, cause he cut Bubba and Wynn is still on the team. I am guessing that would be because Wynn showed potential, while Bubba has been a "no-show" for the most part, ever since signing his last contract.

I am not suprised that Bubba got cut. I am suprised that we have 10 different posts about it though. I guess everyone is hurting for Packer news to discuss.

I did not bother to count the number of threads on Williams. I am a little disapointed that Thompson put the franchise on him, because that tells me that Thompson was happy with the D-line he had last year, and that he will not be looking to improve it. Still a little early to say for sure though.

I am still hoping to see an improvement to the O-line at least. I have a feeling that I am going to have to wait impatiently to see it though.

The Leaper
02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
I am a little disapointed that Thompson put the franchise on him, because that tells me that Thompson was happy with the D-line he had last year, and that he will not be looking to improve it.

How does retaining a guy who was a relatively key contributor the last few seasons suggest that Thompson is not looking to improve the DL?

If Thompson had not retained Williams, our DL today would be weaker...and Thompson would have further to go to improve it.

woodbuck27
02-21-2008, 03:06 PM
I believe the move with Cory Williams was prudent.

I believe that TT is on a learning curve and he will show us more confidence in his position.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-21-2008, 03:51 PM

I believe that TT is on a learning curve and he will show us more confidence in his position.

And, slowly the ice begins to crack.

TT ain't on a learning curve..he already had plenty of experience. YOU are on the learning curve.

PackerBlues
02-21-2008, 04:35 PM
How does retaining a guy who was a relatively key contributor the last few seasons suggest that Thompson is not looking to improve the DL?

relatively key contributor??? What does that mean exactly? Putting the franchise tag on Williams simply suggests to me that Thompson thought that the personnel that he had at the DT position last season are as good as or better than what he could put together via free agency and/or the draft. Does that sound like an improvement? If you are not concerned about the front fours inability to pressure opposing QBs, or to collapse a pocket last season...........maybe so.

If Thompson had not retained Williams, our DL today would be weaker...and Thompson would have further to go to improve it. Sorry, I do not buy into that. With Picket, Jenkins and Harrell alone, the Packers seem to be plenty strong in the DT position.

I could care less, one way or the other about Williams. At least the team will be set at the DT position now and can concentrate on fixing the O-line.

Lurker64
02-21-2008, 08:48 PM
I think to a large extent, this is going to come down to which NFL players will be available in free agency. Last year's free agent class was historically weak, and much weaker than the previous year's class. Not coincidentally, Thompson was much more active in FA the previous year than he was last year.

Does anybody have the final FA list for 2008? We're done tagging, so we should have a good idea by now

ND72
02-21-2008, 09:47 PM

Sorry, I forgot to write it down........and I am guessing Thompson did too, cause he cut Bubba and Wynn is still on the team. I am guessing that would be because Wynn showed potential, while Bubba has been a "no-show" for the most part, ever since signing his last contract.

I am not suprised that Bubba got cut. I am suprised that we have 10 different posts about it though. I guess everyone is hurting for Packer news to discuss.

I did not bother to count the number of threads on Williams. I am a little disapointed that Thompson put the franchise on him, because that tells me that Thompson was happy with the D-line he had last year, and that he will not be looking to improve it. Still a little early to say for sure though.

I am still hoping to see an improvement to the O-line at least. I have a feeling that I am going to have to wait impatiently to see it though.

Thought I'd bring this up, Wynn tries to play RB, and Bubba plays TE, 2 different positions, so comparing them is meaningless. What you saw from Wynn was what you will get. Yes he had some long runs, but there will be little if any growth. It was reported that Wynn's injury wasn't even a bad injury, but he was still placed on IR, which most reports said it was because he wasn't making enough progress, and didn't understand any of the zones schemes. Of his 50 carries, 3 of them were zone plays...AKA, scheme plays. 42 carries were draw plays....

If you aren't understanding the point, sorry, but that's point blank truth. Wynn won't be on the team next year...Samkon Gado Part 2. Good story, but that's it.

The Leaper
02-22-2008, 07:46 AM
relatively key contributor??? What does that mean exactly?

It means exactly what I said. The guy would've been the top DT on the free agent market by the accounts of most observers and scouts. Williams has posted 7 sacks in each of the last 2 seasons...which is pretty impressive for a DT.

If you don't feel Williams was a contributor, that's fine. However, the overwhelming consensus would be directly opposed to that reasoning. Saying he isn't worth $6M a year is one thing...claiming he isn't a contributor is another.

Does that sound like an improvement? If you are not concerned about the front fours inability to pressure opposing QBs, or to collapse a pocket last season...........maybe so.

So what is your option for improving the DT position? Who is available that is clearly BETTER than Williams? Who can we draft at pick #30 that will make an immediate impact? How is subtracting Williams, who had 7 sacks the last two years, a way to improve this?

Sorry, I do not buy into that. With Picket, Jenkins and Harrell alone, the Packers seem to be plenty strong in the DT position.

Plenty strong? You just got done telling us how you loathe our inability to collapse the pocket consistently. Then you turn around and claim we would be "plenty strong" without Williams, who was the one guy who seems capable of collapsing the pocket from the DT position.

Well? Which is it?

cheesner
02-22-2008, 10:04 AM

relatively key contributor??? What does that mean exactly? Putting the franchise tag on Williams simply suggests to me that Thompson thought that the personnel that he had at the DT position last season are as good as or better than what he could put together via free agency and/or the draft. Does that sound like an improvement? If you are not concerned about the front fours inability to pressure opposing QBs, or to collapse a pocket last season...........maybe so.

If Thompson had not retained Williams, our DL today would be weaker...and Thompson would have further to go to improve it. Sorry, I do not buy into that. With Picket, Jenkins and Harrell alone, the Packers seem to be plenty strong in the DT position.

I could care less, one way or the other about Williams. At least the team will be set at the DT position now and can concentrate on fixing the O-line.
You read far too much into that. Franchising Williams does not mean he will be inactive in other areas like the draft or FAs, It could merely mean he would like to get a 4th round pick in a trade rather than just losing him.

The other way the Packers WILL get better is through internal improvement. Every DT except Pickett, is on the upswing of their careers. They are only getting better at this point.

woodbuck27
02-22-2008, 01:24 PM

And, slowly the ice begins to crack.

TT ain't on a learning curve..he already had plenty of experience. YOU are on the learning curve.

Hey cracker. :D

woodbuck27
02-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Good stuff man.

He better.

Isn't that 'the TRUTH'.

Some of us ( yet a few ) see it straight up. I'm sure also, that will change if TT does as well (I mean changes or grows). Certainly even now Ted is 'the Golden Boy' on this forum. GOD help anyone that even remotely challenges that. :D

Bottom line it's this:

PACKERS FOREVER!

Scott Campbell
02-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Some of us ( yet a few ) see it straight up.

Geez - more of that false pride from Woodrow. He thinks his view is the only view.

:bs:

SkinBasket
02-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Certainly even now Ted is 'the Golden Boy' on this forum. GOD help anyone that even remotely challenges that. :D

Bottom line it's this:

WOODY'S CONFUSION FOREVER!

Assembling a team that loses the NFC Championship is an abject failure. We should definitely fire Ted and immediately trade all of our draft picks for Jerry Reese. It's the only solution.

PackerBlues
02-22-2008, 05:35 PM
If you don't feel Williams was a contributor, that's fine. However, the overwhelming consensus would be directly opposed to that reasoning. Saying he isn't worth $6M a year is one thing...claiming he isn't a contributor is another.

Never said either. Williams was one guy in a rotation of many. Do not try to make him out to be more than what he was, just because a bunch of "talking heads" claimed that he would have been the best DT in Free Agency.

So what is your option for improving the DT position? Who is available that is clearly BETTER than Williams? Who can we draft at pick #30 that will make an immediate impact? How is subtracting Williams, who had 7 sacks the last two years, a way to improve this?

Drama Queen. :roll: My opinion from the start, has been that the D-line was not able to pressure opposing QB's worth a fuck. It has also been my opinion that Williams, having been a part of that same D-line, was not anything special, as you are trying to make him out to be.

Plenty strong? You just got done telling us how you loathe our inability to collapse the pocket consistently. Then you turn around and claim we would be "plenty strong" without Williams, who was the one guy who seems capable of collapsing the pocket from the DT position.

Well? Which is it?

Plenty Strong........Picket is a starter at DT. Jenkins has shown enough to be a starter at DT or De. Harrell was a fucking first round draft pick and should by now be able to start at DT. Then there was also Jolly and Muir. How many damned starters do you think a team needs at that position?

While I am content with whatever decisions Thompson makes, I am still entitled to my opinions. I don't think that Williams was worth the franchise tag. My thinking is that even with Williams last season, our D-line never looked like anything special. So, IMO, why waste that kind of money on Williams? There are a number of other ways to improve the team, or at the very least to add depth. I do not feel the need to question who out there would have been a better option in comparison to Williams. I question why there was any assumption that the team even needed him. He is not exactly an upgrade, and losing him did not seem like that big of a deal.........so did the Packers just Franchise Williams just for added depth? That $6 Million could have been used in a lot of other ways.

Why does this sound like the same damned argument that we all had in regards to weather or not Harrell was worthy of being a 1'st round draft pick?

GrnBay007
02-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Alan Faneca to Packers?

Next up is the start of free agency on Friday. It will be interesting to see what kind of dollars Lance Briggs, Alan Faneca and Asante Samuel command. Randy Moss is expected to stay with New England. There aren't a lot of quality free agents on the board and there are teams with a ton of salary cap space to burn. The result will be some astounding deals. I'll predict Samuel to the New York Jets, Briggs to the San Francisco 49ers (even though SF didn't get a big return on its heavy spending last year) and Faneca to the Green Bay Packers (one last enticement for Brett Favre to return) -- Washington Times

--Ryan O'Halloran

http://video1.washingtontimes.com/redskins/2008/02/combine_day_34_wrap_ryan_ohall.html

b bulldog
02-25-2008, 09:02 PM
The jets suppossedly are willing to pay big bucks for Faneca

Bretsky
02-25-2008, 09:05 PM
:laugh: Alan Faneca to Packers?

It'd take serious $$ and some solid competition to land this guy IMO

The Shadow
02-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Some of us ( yet a few ) see it straight up.

Geez - more of that false pride from Woodrow. He thinks his view is the only view.

:bs:
.................................................. ..................................
I'd bet that whatever he is currently looking at is NOT 'straight up!'

b bulldog
02-25-2008, 09:18 PM
I agree B, never going to happen. I guess the Saints are real interested in Samuel. I think the Saints could be a team to be reckoned with if they make a few moves and they can stay healthy. McCallister will be the key for them next year as he always is.

PackerBlues
01-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Last off-season, I was one of the biggest complainers when it comes to how Thompson was doing his job. I wanted to see Moss in Green and Gold (for Favre's sake, if for no other reason), and I wanted to see a veteran RB and perhaps TE signed, and also a veteran guard. None of that happened though, and the Packers still managed to go 13-3. Do I feel like a dumbass for all of my complaining? In all honesty, yes, a little. :oops: But, Moss did end up setting an NFL record for TD's in a season, the Packers had no run game until Grant showed up around week six, Bubba was not much of a factor at all, and M3 played "musical guards" (rotating) all season long.

It does not look like the Packers will lose any of their more talented players in the off-season. I could see KGB getting cut because of his high salary, and Williams may hit the road if Thompson does not put a tender on him or hit him with the franchise tag (not likely), but otherwise this team already looks to be in great shape going into next season.

So, my question is, will Thompson approach the off-season differently this year? Will having the 30'th pick overall, with no real pressing needs at any one position cause him to change the way he does things in comparison to previous off-seasons?

On Offense:

QB.......... Rogers should have enough knowledge of the system by now to take over for Favre if needed. So, IMO, QB is not a problem position.

WR..........Short of signing Moss or Chad Johnson, I don't know if you really could do much to improve this position.

FB..........IMO, the only way this position gets upgraded would be through free agency. Sure we could draft a FB if he is the "best player available", but not very likely. I think it's more likely that the Packers will go with what they have at FB.

OT..........Clifton and Tauscher are both still playing great, but they are both getting up there in years. Not a position to worry about just yet....

OG..........I think Favre made these guys look better than they were, simply by getting rid of the ball quickly, and avoiding the sack. Personally, IMO, these guys played like shit! It was bad enough to watch the pocket collapse as easily as it did, but these guys should have been embarrassed by their performance week to week. This is a position that I would love to see upgraded via Free Agency, short of that, would another rookie have as much value as opposed to just being patient with what we have?

Defense:

DT..........Picket is the man, and Williams is probably as good as gone. I think Jenkins has great potential, and who really knows about Harrell yet. All I know, is that our D-line did not come close to putting pressure on the opposing QB in the games that we needed to see it. If this positon can be improved through Free Agency, I really hope that Thompson opens up his wallet and spends if he has to.

CB..........Woodson and Harris are both getting a little long in the tooth. Harris looked like complete shit against Burress in the playoffs. I do not think this position needs immediate upgrading, but it sure as hell would not hurt to look to the future via the draft if the right guy is available.

LB..........Barnett and Hawk are great. IMO, Poppinga is a meathead. The packers could use an upgrade at the position, preferably someone who can play in pass coverage. Again though as with many other positions on the team, it is not very pressing to replace Poppinga, it would be nice to though.

S..........Nick Collins and Atari Bigby look to be doing ok. I do not see this as a position that needs improving all that badly.

The Packers have a few players who will eventually have to be replaced due to their age......these same guys also happen to still be playing at a pro-bowl level, so there should not be any big rush to replace them. The young guys for the most part are playing great football. So, it seems like no one single position is in need of an upgrade any more so than any other position. So, if you buy into that, and taking into consideration the Packers position in the draft at #30............do you think that Thompson will do things differently this offseason? :?:

Things have not changed much over a years time. :roll:

Anyone know what the cap space is this year? Not that it should matter, but the last I heard, Thompson has the Packers approx. 35 million under the cap.

Gunakor
01-03-2009, 11:39 AM

On Offense:

Defense:

Things have not changed much over a years time. :roll:

Anyone know what the cap space is this year? Not that it should matter, but the last I heard, Thompson has the Packers approx. 35 million under the cap.

Things are a little different. OT has become a position which IMO needs an immediate upgrade now. And at OG, Josh Sitton has appeared to perhaps be worth the pick. Daryn Colledge has become borderline starting caliber, which implies that he's continuing to improve. I think he'll be solid soon enough.

I think our LB's are fine with Chillar, Barnett and Hawk in a 4-3 (should we be running a 4-3 in 2009). I like Bishop and Poppinga as primary backups to those starters. I don't think any changes are needed there at all, to be honest. At safety, I'd like to see them ditch Peprah and sign/draft another hard hitting SS in case Bigby doesn't return to 2007 form. I don't want to see Woodson back there if he's healthy enough to play press coverage on the corner ever again, and Rouse has had health issues.

Other than that, he's picking at #9 this year not #30, which by itself tells me that Thompson is going to do things differently this go around. Any GM worth his salary knows that when you go from #30 to #9 on the draft board in one year's time something has to be done differently. DL and OT seem to be the most glaring holes right now, and I'm certain he'll get something done to address that.