PDA

View Full Version : Clemens, Farve, and a Sacrilegious Question

Kiwon
02-17-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm still hoping that Roger Clemens has answered honestly about whether he used steroids or not. I know that most people don't believe his denials.

But, he's a hero of mine so I'm holding out hope that he's being honest and can disprove the accusations.

Brett Farve also is a hero to millions, including me. I know it's a sacrilegious question to any diehard cheesehead but I have to ask it anyway:

In any interview, television or print, has Brett Farve ever been asked directly whether he has used steroids or other performance enhancing drugs during his professional career?

Please don't speculate. If you know for sure that he has been asked this question and answered it please give the details of when and where the interview appeared.

packinpatland
02-17-2008, 09:42 AM
In the case of Favre.....why would the questsion ever even come up?

Kiwon
02-17-2008, 09:50 AM
It's a question that will be asked if it hasn't been asked already. This will be especially true if Clemens turns out to be lying. Longevity and setting all-time records in today's climate makes people suspicious.

Besides, people are thinking about it.

In addition, there is a minority that enjoys seeing someone else's hero taken down.

Check out the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/nfl_experts/post/About-half-of-you-really-really-really-don-t-l;_ylt=AiAxKmrNCXvnpNGml5hmnH5DubYF?urn=nfl%2C6685 0

MJZiggy
02-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Favre's been through rehab and if that was in any way NFL affiliated, they'd have had their eye on him after that. The NFL also seems more stringent in testing than they've been in baseball. At least that's the impression I have.

red
02-17-2008, 10:31 AM
i think the nfl's drung testing is a lot more strict then MLB's

i think

so lets hope not. but the thought has also popped up in my mind

KYPack
02-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Yeah, BF's basically been busted for real dope, not just performance stuff. He's reached such a mythic height as a modern icon, I don't think he would be attacked if he said, "Yeah, I had to keep playin" or something like that.

Part of Clemens problem is that he is such an arrogant POS.

All that said, I don't think Brett did use performance enhancing drugs. When he's done with the season, it's fishing and hunting and at the gym 2-3 times a week.

Patler
02-17-2008, 10:49 AM
I think the NFL testing program would have caught him. After all, I believe his vicodin problem put him "in the program" at the first step; which would have required more tests from him than anyone who had not tested positive previously.

MLB essentially had no testing program until recently.

twoseven
02-17-2008, 12:15 PM
The NFL steroid fallout happened in the mid-eighties when all of the abuse that was going on for the last 25 years came out. Guys like Alzado and Matusak led he way. There seemed to be a health risk that drove the NFL cleanup, unlike MLB which seems more about records and stats and dollars. MLB is 20 years behind them, but it will end the same..CLEANER and CONTROLLED. A purge happened in the NFL and it is very necessarily happening in baseball right now.

Many do not like Congress stepping in with MLB. I can accept that, but it took Congress' threats of legislation to bust a tough MLB players union into cooperating with a limp dick of a commisioner Selig who were doing NOTHING to fix the problems at hand. It worked, and MLB is on its way to getting cleaned up.

MadtownPacker
02-17-2008, 12:31 PM
You can tell Favre aint on juice just by looking at his face. bonds and clemens all have Roid forehead. Im sure there are several other physical signs steroids bring

RashanGary
02-17-2008, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if he took HGH. It's untestable and unless you get cancer, it's not very harmfull.

More than likely I think he's clean though. There have never been signs that his body has gotten better with age.

MJZiggy
02-17-2008, 12:34 PM
There are. Something shrinks... :oops:

Can I lead the team to inspect for it? :P

twoseven
02-17-2008, 12:39 PM
There are. Something shrinks... :oops:

Can I lead the team to inspect for it? :P
Yes, your balls shrink but the increased supply in blood flow to parts of your body enhances the other part.

MJZiggy
02-17-2008, 12:40 PM
And remind me of the problem I'd have with that again?

twoseven
02-17-2008, 01:02 PM
I know you're kidding, but since you asked..
The guy will be saving all of his energy for a different kind of pumping workout, he would be too busy living in the gym and worrying about his sleep and nutrition to waste time being inspected. Not to mention the male PMS he has every day of the month from his overblown testosterone levels that could make a woman's look like a nice walk in the park. You'll do better performing your checks on the steroid free body, it's much safer for you physically and the guy won't be opting to stare at himself rather than into your eyes when it's over..then again I just eluded to what might be considered a romp in the sack with an unsatiable modern day barbarian that will show himself to the door immediately after.. yee hah.

GrnBay007
02-17-2008, 01:31 PM
The guy will be saving all of his energy for a different kind of pumping workout, he would be too busy living in the gym and worrying about his sleep and nutrition to waste time being inspected. Not to mention the male PMS he has every day of the month from his overblown testosterone levels that could make a woman's look like a nice walk in the park. You'll do better performing your checks on the steroid free body, it's much safer for you physically and the guy won't be opting to stare at himself rather than into your eyes when it's over..then again I just eluded to what might be considered a romp in the sack with an unsatiable modern day barbarian that will show himself to the door immediately after.. yee hah.

So you are saying less is better? :P

oregonpackfan
02-17-2008, 01:39 PM
I would be terribly surprised and deeply disappointed if we were to learn that Favre was taking steroids and/or HGH.

Though all professional athletes should not be above suspicion, I think steroid abuse by Favre would be highly unlikely.

MJZiggy
02-17-2008, 02:28 PM

I was kidding. Worked in a gym in college and we had a couple users there. Not the kind of guys I really wanna be hangin' with.

twoseven
02-17-2008, 05:59 PM

So you are saying less is better? :P
That's NOT what I said. (27 puffs out his chest)

Looks like Zig already knows what I am talking about. Interacting with dudes that are on the juice can bring on a whole other definition of abusive realtionship, literally. Bad news. :(

You just stick to that Michael Schofield, he'll never break your heart..or your arm. :wink:

Kiwon
02-17-2008, 06:24 PM
In any interview, television or print, has Brett Favre ever been asked directly whether he has used steroids or other performance enhancing drugs during his professional career?

Please don't speculate. If you know for sure that he has been asked this question and answered it please give the details of when and where the interview appeared.

YHELLO! The drug-testing discussion thus far is interesting but I asked about a press interview.

My question is whether Farve has been asked directly about steroids, HGH, etc. and is on record with an answer.

You guys have a PhD in Packerology. If he has, I bet you can remember it.

Brett Farve is about the most unassuming "hero" there is, but wait and see if this topic won't come up somewhere. We all might be defending him. I think he's clean too, but I'd like to know if he has directly answered the question before.

Guiness
02-17-2008, 06:25 PM

lol Zig - that's about as forward as ya can be, eh? Well, they could be sterile, but maybe that's a good thing too? Unless yer looking ta rope em into a Travis Henry type of deal :P

ya, twoseven's got a lot of it right. Never heard it refered to as male PMS, but I've seen some guys with nasty temperment that I'd attribute to roids. And ya, they were moody, is it actually due to fluctuation (fake) hormone levels?

Worst thing I saw though was a couple of guys who got 'bitch tits'.

twoseven
02-17-2008, 06:28 PM

lol Zig - that's about as forward as ya can be, eh? Well, they could be sterile, but maybe that's a good thing too? Unless yer looking ta rope em into a Travis Henry type of deal :P

ya, twoseven's got a lot of it right. Never heard it refered to as male PMS, but I've seen some guys with nasty temperment that I'd attribute to roids. And ya, they were moody, is it actually due to fluctuation (fake) hormone levels?

Gynomastia

That's what you get for fooling around with hormone levels. Boost the Testosterone, the Estrogen can rise to balance things out and bam, Steve's got himself a nice pair of boobies with plump aereola, just in time for the fashion shows. :D

GrnBay007
02-17-2008, 06:30 PM
You just stick to that Michael Schofield, he'll never break your heart..or your arm. :wink:

:P

Life is rough these days. I'm having a very difficult time choosing between Michael and Sucre.

Cheesehead Craig
02-18-2008, 09:06 AM
In any interview, television or print, has Brett Favre ever been asked directly whether he has used steroids or other performance enhancing drugs during his professional career?

YHELLO! The drug-testing discussion thus far is interesting but I asked about a press interview.

My question is whether Favre has been asked directly about steroids, HGH, etc. and is on record with an answer.

Brett Favre is about the most unassuming "hero" there is, but wait and see if this topic won't come up somewhere. We all might be defending him. I think he's clean too, but I'd like to know if he has directly answered the question before.
First off, the article you linked to does not state any of those players have been accused of being on 'roids or HGH. It's simply a poll of which media darling the masses would like to see fall to this type of claim.

Secondly, why would he be asked? What proof is there? There would be no basis for this question and it would get a reporter in hot water without any type of evidence suggesting it.

packinpatland
02-18-2008, 10:52 AM
With Brady coming in at almost 50% doesn't mean he's taken steroids, just means he's at the top of his game and there's a really lot of folks out there that would rather he wasn't.

Kinda of a stupid poll actually.

cpk1994
02-18-2008, 11:21 AM
The NFL steroid fallout happened in the mid-eighties when all of the abuse that was going on for the last 25 years came out. Guys like Alzado and Matusak led he way. There seemed to be a health risk that drove the NFL cleanup, unlike MLB which seems more about records and stats and dollars. MLB is 20 years behind them, but it will end the same..CLEANER and CONTROLLED. A purge happened in the NFL and it is very necessarily happening in baseball right now.

Many do not like Congress stepping in with MLB. I can accept that, but it took Congress' threats of legislation to bust a tough MLB players union into cooperating with a limp dick of a commisioner Selig who were doing NOTHING to fix the problems at hand. It worked, and MLB is on its way to getting cleaned up.NOt to jack the thread, but if you are going to blame Selig for the steroid mess, than equal blame better be given to Donald Fehr and the players union. Selig is pretty much powerless becuase anything he could have done, Fehr would have swooped in and stopped it.

twoseven
02-18-2008, 02:34 PM

Many do not like Congress stepping in with MLB. I can accept that, but it took Congress' threats of legislation to bust a tough MLB players union into cooperating with a limp dick of a commisioner Selig who were doing NOTHING to fix the problems at hand. It worked, and MLB is on its way to getting cleaned up.NOt to jack the thread, but if you are going to blame Selig for the steroid mess, than equal blame better be given to Donald Fehr and the players union. Selig is pretty much powerless becuase anything he could have done, Fehr would have swooped in and stopped it.
I did.

Kiwon
02-19-2008, 03:08 AM

My question is whether Favre has been asked directly about steroids, HGH, etc. and is on record with an answer.

Brett Favre is about the most unassuming "hero" there is, but wait and see if this topic won't come up somewhere. We all might be defending him. I think he's clean too, but I'd like to know if he has directly answered the question before.
First off, the article you linked to does not state any of those players have been accused of being on 'roids or HGH. It's simply a poll of which media darling the masses would like to see fall to this type of claim.

Secondly, why would he be asked? What proof is there? There would be no basis for this question and it would get a reporter in hot water without any type of evidence suggesting it.

One, since no one answered the question I would have to assume that Farve has not been asked and answered the question about steroids, etc. in relation to his professional career before.

Second, it's the steroids, HGH, blood-doping era in Sports. Cheating is an issue that is front and center.

Athletes like Farve that perform at a high level at an advanced age will be under suspicion by his critics, with or without justification. The question will be asked sometime, just wait. Maybe not by a Green Bay-based reporter, but by someone in the broader sports media.

And I don't think the reporter that asks him that question would be in any hot water at all (outside of Green Bay). Again, given today's climate, many cynics in sports journalism will see it as a legitimate question for an older, iconic, high-profile player still playing near the top of his game. This is especially true if a former sure-fire Baseball Hall of Famer like Clemens turns out to be a liar and cheat.

Granted, it's a distasteful question for Packer fans, but I bet it's a question that Brett will be asked and answer within the next 12 months.

twoseven
02-19-2008, 03:30 AM
We'll see if some of these questions get asked..

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3252386

'Hank Steinbrenner says football has bigger steroid problem than baseball

TAMPA, Fla. -- Hank Steinbrenner insists baseball is being picked on for its trouble with performance-enhancing drugs, and claims the problem is bigger in football.

"I don't like baseball being singled out," the New York Yankees senior vice president said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Monday night.

"Everybody that knows sports knows football is tailor-made for performance-enhancing drugs. I don't know how they managed to skate by. It irritates me. Don't tell me it's not more prevalent. The number in football is at least twice as many. Look at the speed and size of those players."

Answered NFL spokesman Greg Aiello: "We've had year-round random testing with immediate suspensions since 1990 and we conduct approximately 12,000 steroids tests a year."

Steinbrenner's comments came after Andy Pettitte met with reporters for the first time since the Yankees pitcher was named in the Mitchell report. Two days after the report was released in December, Pettitte confirmed he used human growth hormone in 2002; two weeks ago, he told congressional investigators he also used HGH for one day in 2004.

"A lot of baseball people thought that baseball would be the last sport that it would be a problem in and probably just ignored it too long," Steinbrenner said. "But the fact is it's been in football a long time and it's been in basketball, I'm sure. Why baseball is being singled out, I don't know. I don't know. I know all the excuses -- `Well, it's America's game and it's the statistics.'

"That's not an excuse. If a sport is riddled with it, it's riddled with it. Why aren't they looking at the NFL?" he said.

Steinbrenner said baseball will "clean up the game."

"We're going to do it," he said.'

twoseven
02-19-2008, 03:33 AM
Steinbrenner's idiotic comments are a testament to the bubble that some of MLB has been living in for the last three decades.

Patler
02-19-2008, 04:18 AM
Baseball is being singled out because it has staunchly refused any meaningful drug testing program until recently. The NFL has been testing for a long, long time. The NFL was the leader in developing a drug testing program and was ahead of not only all pro sports but also most international sports authorities testing.

Iron Mike
02-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Gynomastia

That's what you get for fooling around with hormone levels. Boost the Testosterone, the Estrogen can rise to balance things out and bam, Steve's got himself a nice pair of boobies with plump aereola, just in time for the fashion shows. :D

It's actually gynecomastia.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/Gynecomastia_001.jpg/800px-Gynecomastia_001.jpg

It's actually more common to see supernumerary nipples:

http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/E/embarrassing_illnesses/images/programme_four/nipple4.jpg

Cheesehead Craig
02-19-2008, 08:43 AM

One, since no one answered the question I would have to assume that Favre has not been asked and answered the question about steroids, etc. in relation to his professional career before.

Second, it's the steroids, HGH, blood-doping era in Sports. Cheating is an issue that is front and center.

Athletes like Favre that perform at a high level at an advanced age will be under suspicion by his critics, with or without justification. The question will be asked sometime, just wait. Maybe not by a Green Bay-based reporter, but by someone in the broader sports media.

And I don't think the reporter that asks him that question would be in any hot water at all (outside of Green Bay). Again, given today's climate, many cynics in sports journalism will see it as a legitimate question for an older, iconic, high-profile player still playing near the top of his game. This is especially true if a former sure-fire Baseball Hall of Famer like Clemens turns out to be a liar and cheat.

Granted, it's a distasteful question for Packer fans, but I bet it's a question that Brett will be asked and answer within the next 12 months.
Or they will use their brains and realize he got more talent around him than he's had in the last 3-4 years.

Dear heavens Chicken Little, give it a rest.

Patler
02-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Any improvement by Favre in 2007 compared to previous years was based on decision making and game plans, not physical performance. He hasn't had a physical reawakening as so many baseball players seemed to have in their mid-30s recently.

cpk1994
02-19-2008, 10:37 AM

I did.Opps, I missed that line. I will make an appointment with the optometrist immediately. :)

cpk1994
02-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Steinbrenner's idiotic comments are a testament to the bubble that some of MLB has been living in for the last three decades.It also proves the old saying, "the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree".

Merlin
02-19-2008, 12:59 PM
When it comes to steriod usage I normally look to what a player looked like earlier in their career vs. now. Barry Bonds was a stick and now he is huge (for example). Favre hasn't changed all that much in physical appearance. Clemens has some but not a lot. Whether or not he takes them, hell whether or not Clemens took them, should be analyzed by the length of use. It appears that Clemens isn't on steroids all day every day and that it did not impact his career. Unlike Steriod Bonds, Mark McGuire, etc where it was obvious something was in the water with those guys.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-19-2008, 01:12 PM
When it comes to steriod usage I normally look to what a player looked like earlier in their career vs. now. Barry Bonds was a stick and now he is huge (for example). Favre hasn't changed all that much in physical appearance. Clemens has some but not a lot. Whether or not he takes them, hell whether or not Clemens took them, should be analyzed by the length of use. It appears that Clemens isn't on steroids all day every day and that it did not impact his career. Unlike Steriod Bonds, Mark McGuire, etc where it was obvious something was in the water with those guys.

You are so wrong it hurts. Go look at his career before he left boston.

twoseven
02-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Gynomastia

It's actually gynecomastia.

Most I know drop the C when speaking it. I don't pronounce the 'C' because it makes it sound even more feminine, very appropriate I think.

twoseven
02-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Baseball is being singled out because it has staunchly refused any meaningful drug testing program until recently. The NFL has been testing for a long, long time. The NFL was the leader in developing a drug testing program and was ahead of not only all pro sports but also most international sports authorities testing.
Not to mention that McGwire, Sosa, Palmiero, Bonds, and Clemens would all be making their way into the HOF already or very soon, before all of the fallout. That and the records that have fallen to Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa and the numerous Cy Youngs Clemens has secured in the last decade.

MLB prides itself on statistics, records, and purity. How can any fan of the game NOT think this would be a major deal that wouldn't procede quietly once these big names got called out? If it weren't for these HOF caliber players and this kind of timing it wouldn't be nearly as vocalized as it has been. If any NFL players that were about to enter the HOF were nipped for roids shortly beforehand I wonder if they would have made it in.

Steinbrenner is a putz.

NewsBruin
02-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Favre doesn't have the bloated, sudden Cro-Magnan appearance other famous HGH/roid users have.

(Don't worry, Junior Seau and Teddy Bruschi, I'm not talking about you. :roll:)

And, as it's been said before, along with no increased head, nose, hand, and foot size, Brett doesn't have the spike in athletic performance that Bonds and Clemens had. Nor does he have the listed physical ailments (like knee and back tendinitis or torn muscles) that the more famous playesr have had. And frankly, he's withdrawn and not prone to violence or hyperaggression like the other guys.

But I'm not buying that the NFL is clean. Sauerbrun and three other Panthers were caught using steroids, and the charges did not come from NFL testing. Roids get masked. Insulin/HGH combination is currently not tested for. I'd guess that at least half the league smokes marijuana and cleanses.

I wouldn't be surprised if any modern athlete (other than Greg Maddux) got caught using something. If we played the hypothetical game, though, I couldnt see Favre using something heavily or for anything other than rehabilitation.

With his rage, chronic tendinitis, and Nebraska pedigree, I always looked squintily at Ahman Green. And that Travis Jervey fella...well, something wasn't right with him, either.