PDA

View Full Version : Rorschach test

Harlan Huckleby
02-19-2008, 07:44 AM
http://www.adblogarabia.com/wp-content/ImaPC..ImaMac.jpg

MadtownPacker
02-19-2008, 07:53 AM
The mac asshole. Just like all mac users.

swede
02-19-2008, 07:54 AM
Aren't you supposed to be building birdhouses?

Freak Out
02-19-2008, 07:54 AM
They both should be thrown to the lions but the Mac guy should go first.

SkinBasket
02-19-2008, 08:19 AM
You know if Mac keeps pressing the issue of how effortlessly superior he thinks he is, PC is just gonna shank him and stand over his dying quivering corpse shouting, "How fast is your OS now muthafucka!"

red
02-19-2008, 08:44 AM
mac guy

nothing worse then a total loser nerd trying to act all cool

SkinBasket
02-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Looks like Partial's losing.

MJZiggy
02-19-2008, 09:45 AM
This surprises you?

Harlan Huckleby
02-19-2008, 09:47 AM
the way I see it, Obama's losing. :P

MadtownPacker
02-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Maybe he should stick to what he does best. Playing a fucking geek and banging Drew Barrymore.

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/M/3Y/TO/0c/zM/wY/TZ/tF/kX/nB/na/B5/lM/B5/FM/wk/TO/zE/jN/0M/TM/B5/VM._SY400_SX600_.jpg

http://cm1.dotspotter.com/media/0/50/96/drew-1.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
02-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Partial has banged Drew Barrymore!!?? Awesome.

SkinBasket
02-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Partial has banged Drew Barrymore!!?? Awesome.

He has very hairy palms. And some eye strain.

Partial
02-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Those ads are dumb and the Mac user comes off as pompass. However, I think would could dispute the superiority of Leopard in features, ease of use, and the quality of free ware to that of Windows Vista. It's an infinitely better value.

MadtownPacker
02-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Those ads are dumb and the Mac user comes off as pompass. However, I think would could dispute the superiority of Leopard in features, ease of use, and the quality of free ware to that of Windows Vista. It's an infinitely better value.Typical mac user, coming into our wonderful thread and trying to talk all high and mighty about his stupid fruity computer.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-19-2008, 11:38 AM
My Mac changed my life.

The air smelled better, women found me more virile, my coding was tighter. Life is better with a Mac. :roll:

Partial
02-19-2008, 11:55 AM
My Mac changed my life.

The air smelled better, women found me more virile, my coding was tighter. Life is better with a Mac. :roll:

It would be better with an iPhone versus an HTC Touch, though :lol:

I have found that I like running linux more than anything these days. Everything is free, and you get the added security of not having the same os as everyone else.

Zool
02-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Those ads are dumb and the Mac user comes off as pompass. However, I think would could dispute the superiority of Leopard in features, ease of use, and the quality of free ware to that of Windows Vista. It's an infinitely better value.

That is of course unless you want to play games.

MJZiggy
02-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Awww crap. This IS gonna turn into a technical discussion isn't it?

Partial
02-19-2008, 12:00 PM

Boot-camp baby. Or, you could run the games that Macs run (EA now makes games for Mac), or you could get a console instead of pirating PC games.

This myth is older than dinosaurs and false.

Partial
02-19-2008, 12:01 PM

What the hell did I say?

I think would could??!?

I think few would dispute***

Zool
02-19-2008, 12:02 PM
My Mac changed my life.

I have found that I like running linux more than anything these days. Everything is free, and you get the added security of not having the same os as everyone else.

I dont get to say this often so I'm gonna savor it. God damn you're a nerd.

Zool
02-19-2008, 12:04 PM

Boot-camp baby. Or, you could run the games that Macs run (EA now makes games for Mac), or you could get a console instead of pirating PC games.

So...running Boot camp....what OS would that be? Its not like you're talking with the average dork here. You're Mac loving is now typical of too many people. You're no longer in the silent minority. BTW, in case you forgot, I have a G4.

Partial
02-19-2008, 12:06 PM

So...running Boot camp....what OS would that be? Its not like you're talking with the average dork here. You're Mac loving is now typical of too many people. You're no longer in the silent minority. BTW, in case you forgot, I have a G4.

You would be running them through windows. Can't blame the developers were targeting a longer audience but that is no longer a valid argument against getting or using a Mac.

Sadly, I think the PC game world is going to start a steady decline in the next couple o' years. It's gotta be tough to turn a profit when I read a figure stating 50% of all PC games are pirated. It's sad because there are very few things as enjoyable as some late night pizza, mountain dew and a lan party.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-19-2008, 12:17 PM
My Mac changed my life.

Oh, yeah. That would be great to be on the crappy AT&T network in Phx. That would be like offering salt water to a man in the desert.

Problems with Iphone:

1. The main thing i like to do on a phone is talk. Call quality is iffy, worse than other phones on the AT&T network according to several reviews.

1a. The virtual keyboard is a challenge.
1b. Doesn't support 3g wireless networks, voice dialing (how the fuck did they miss this?), or stereo bluetooth.
1c. Camera doesn't shoot video.

2. Not good with business..try getting NAs to get network/email to work with it..not happening.

3. Security. Iphone hugely vulnerable. Course that isn't unique to them.

4. User friendly. All studies show users prefer a flip phone.

The problem with Apple is that Jobs is selling a hermetically sealed system., the central premise of apple's biz model; if a customer buys one product, she'll buy one, two, three, etc. - at a premium price - rather than dilute the experience with other brands. In an age increasingly defined by interoperability and tech collabro, jobs still refuses to license OS. WOn't allow music or vid downloads from itunes on other devices. Won't permit music from other stores on the ipod. An exclusive with AT&T...bricking third party apps from those who "jailbreaked" it for use on other networks or who downloaded 3rd party apps for features it didn't have.

Today, there are an estimated 250K iphones that haven't been hooked to the AT&T network. That means around 20% want the phone but don't want the closed ecosystem.

Let me end this with a comparison. Jobs is really smart...apple has done well with this model. Einstein is really smart as well.

einstein posited that a closed system would become stagnant after time. Pretty much what happened to Apple in the 80s when it's closed system doomed it to a small market share.

Today the question looms: Has jobs hit upon a formula that insulates apple from stagnation?

Me, i don't think so.

SkinBasket
02-19-2008, 12:28 PM
It's sad because there are very few things as enjoyable as some late night pizza, mountain dew and a lan party.

Now you're just giving dorks a bad name.

Pizza and Mt Dew? What are you 13?

Zool
02-19-2008, 12:31 PM
It's sad because there are very few things as enjoyable as some late night pizza, mountain dew and a lan party.

Now you're just giving dorks a bad name.

Pizza and Mt Dew? What are you 13?

Replace it with RedBull, Jeagermeister and Muchos

Partial
02-19-2008, 12:31 PM
You're comparing a Windows Mobile PDA phone (PDA first, phone second) which is laggy as can be to an iPhone. The iPhone user interface is way easier to use calling features on then an HTC touch. It is also far less laggy and responsive.

The HTC Touch only has a virtual keyboard as well. Same thing.

It doesn't support 3G, but the next gen will. Regardless, Sprint EV-DO typically sees speeds around 1mbps where as iPhone EDGE typically gets 700kbps. Not a huge difference, and once the iPhone gets 3G in the upcoming revision it will be on par.

I don't see why getting an iPhone to work with mail would be any different than a Windows Mobile PDA Phone. If its an issue, forward your email to a 3rd party account and set that up for your phone.

Considering that the iPhone is built on a fully-certified UNIX operating system, and the HTC Touch on a Windows Mobile PDA platform which has many, many viruses and security breaches, I think you should reconsider that statement.

The HTC touch isn't a flip phone either. It is uglier nor as ergonomic as the iPhone.

I see no problems with them bricking iPhones that people hack into to change a few files to make them operate on other network SIM cards. Apple has an exclusive contract with AT&T in America and that is there choice to do that. As much as I'd kill for a Sprint SERO iPhone, I won't criticize their business decision.

Jobs has greatly changed the way Apple has operated to get them out of the 80s and 90s business model that doomed them. If anything, Dell is very similiar to the company Apple was then. They limit their systems because people are willing to pay a premium on the hardware for the OS, and they are one of the 2 or 3 companies that make good profit on each piece of hardware they sell. They keep a limited amount of SKUs (though this is changing recently) to make supply chain management efficient and very cost effective.

Apple is run very, very well. I don't like how they do things but I can't argue with their business model or success with it.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-19-2008, 01:09 PM
You're comparing a Windows Mobile PDA phone (PDA first, phone second) which is laggy as can be to an iPhone. The iPhone user interface is way easier to use calling features on then an HTC touch. It is also far less laggy and responsive.

The HTC Touch only has a virtual keyboard as well. Same thing.

It doesn't support 3G, but the next gen will. Regardless, Sprint EV-DO typically sees speeds around 1mbps where as iPhone EDGE typically gets 700kbps. Not a huge difference, and once the iPhone gets 3G in the upcoming revision it will be on par.

I don't see why getting an iPhone to work with mail would be any different than a Windows Mobile PDA Phone. If its an issue, forward your email to a 3rd party account and set that up for your phone.

Considering that the iPhone is built on a fully-certified UNIX operating system, and the HTC Touch on a Windows Mobile PDA platform which has many, many viruses and security breaches, I think you should reconsider that statement.

The HTC touch isn't a flip phone either. It is uglier nor as ergonomic as the iPhone.

I see no problems with them bricking iPhones that people hack into to change a few files to make them operate on other network SIM cards. Apple has an exclusive contract with AT&T in America and that is there choice to do that. As much as I'd kill for a Sprint SERO iPhone, I won't criticize their business decision.

Jobs has greatly changed the way Apple has operated to get them out of the 80s and 90s business model that doomed them. If anything, Dell is very similiar to the company Apple was then. They limit their systems because people are willing to pay a premium on the hardware for the OS, and they are one of the 2 or 3 companies that make good profit on each piece of hardware they sell. They keep a limited amount of SKUs (though this is changing recently) to make supply chain management efficient and very cost effective.

Apple is run very, very well. I don't like how they do things but I can't argue with their business model or success with it.

I wasn't comparing Iphone to the touch..speaking in generalities. I never argued that i was buying a touch..merely that apple wasn't way ahead on the gui, etc.

1. Mail. Cause admins don't wanna deal with it. And, until someone above them tells them to..they won't..and even then, they still won't. You have alot to learn about the real world.

2. Security. What part of, "not unique to them" don't you understand?

3. Way to not understand the closed system argument. In the long run, it won't work.

Jobs hasn't changed one thing in their biz model. Inventing new products isn't a new biz model. And, they can't sustain a big lead with their products. The mp3 market is going to fall next.

apple is built on a 4 legged stool.

we have already discussed the phone.

2. Ipod touch. It can't/won't remain at the top with the same margins. Iriver, sandisk, ms, toshiba all are getting slicker, targetting the pod at a fraction of the cost. vivendi scuttled long term licensing. Amazon has their itunes antagonist, wal mart has been lowballing their way into the market, and sub services like rhap are spending a ton to win consumers. Even the tree huggers are after the ipod cause of allegedly toxic chemicals.

2a. Why add the touch screen to it w/o a larger hard drive? They need to patch that hole.

3. Mac, the third leg. Improved it with intel and samba protocol. But, it will be a challenge to increase market share to be a mass player cause of pricing.

Worldwide, market share rose only .3% in 07. Continued gains are only in rich countries.

4. AppleTV. Created to stream Itunes content onto HD TVs. Cept there is no HD content. And doesn't play dvds, let alone video games. Nor is it a dvr. You can't connect your ipod to it or connect directly to itunes..which it should do both. And, don't bother using it without itunes. It supports TWO video formats freezing out other formats. File size is limited to 4 gigs. Data transfer is SLOW.

THis product is a flop and requires a major mutation to become the centerpiece of the living room.

Partial
02-19-2008, 01:50 PM
I guess you missed the part where Admins adopter the blackberry. I agree you'll never see the sort of business adoption and syncing capabilties with outlook and lotus notes of the BB, but I have a hunch those who want to use it won't care and will figure out a way to get their appointments and email on their anyway. Once the SDK comes out you can bet your bottom dollar the cult of programmers who want to ditch their Windows Mobile devices will get right to work on making a windows outlook sync utility that also will work with exchange servers.

Apple right now is in transition. I don't like it. I think they were a stronger company to keep growing two years ago. They're expanding too fast now. I think you could do a very strong comparison to Apple and how they have evolved to how iTunes has evolved.

Back 3-4 years ago, iTunes was the undisputed king of music jukeboxes imo. Low memory, fast, best search by far, easy on the eyes, etc. Now, it is a "does everything good at nothing" app. Apple is expanding in WAY too many outlets and not really doing any of them as well as they should be. See the MacBook Air for example. Underwhelming. Look at the Apple TV. Underwhelming.

I do not want them to become a dell where they do everything but don't do anything exceptionally well.

I agree completely on how Apple will have a tough time continuing to make all their money off the iPod and whatnot. Eventually that market will be completely dried up. The computer market never will be though, thats why I feel now that they have some cash reserve they should keep focusing on that.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-19-2008, 02:09 PM
I guess you missed the part where Admins adopter the blackberry. I agree you'll never see the sort of business adoption and syncing capabilties with outlook and lotus notes of the BB, but I have a hunch those who want to use it won't care and will figure out a way to get their appointments and email on their anyway. Once the SDK comes out you can bet your bottom dollar the cult of programmers who want to ditch their Windows Mobile devices will get right to work on making a windows outlook sync utility that also will work with exchange servers.

Apple right now is in transition. I don't like it. I think they were a stronger company to keep growing two years ago. They're expanding too fast now. I think you could do a very strong comparison to Apple and how they have evolved to how iTunes has evolved.

Back 3-4 years ago, iTunes was the undisputed king of music jukeboxes imo. Low memory, fast, best search by far, easy on the eyes, etc. Now, it is a "does everything good at nothing" app. Apple is expanding in WAY too many outlets and not really doing any of them as well as they should be. See the MacBook Air for example. Underwhelming. Look at the Apple TV. Underwhelming.

I do not want them to become a dell where they do everything but don't do anything exceptionally well.

I agree completely on how Apple will have a tough time continuing to make all their money off the iPod and whatnot. Eventually that market will be completely dried up. The computer market never will be though, thats why I feel now that they have some cash reserve they should keep focusing on that.

Blackberry..sure. But, that works well with exchange, etc. And, has been adopted corp wide. Iphone is nowhere near that level. Look, if they sell the 10 mill by 08 that jobs predicted that still leaves them 390 million behind Nokia for example.

I don't doubt you'll find developers..that isn't the issue. Getting corp adoption is the issue.

Apple makes money thru the "halo" effect. The pod is they key to this and helps other products. It isn't just good design. Remember, they lost money in 01 and had smallish profits in 02 and 03.

The bottom line is this. Nokia, samsung, intel, etc all can work together. We are soon going to have tons of phones with gps, video, music, etc. And, all the players cept for Apple have interoperability. Geez, that is the nature of society..look at myspace/facebook. Networking. Yet, apple is out there alone.

The bet is that these large corps can't beat out apple because apple is best at design/marketing/fashion. Unfortunately those things are cyclical at best. Would you bet against Nokia, samsung, intel, motorola, etc? I know i wouldn't.

If jobs doesn't get his head outta his ass he is going to put them right back where they were in the late 80s/90s when WinTel almost destroyed them.

Partial
02-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Apple doesn't have to beat them out to make oodles of money, though. They get 200 from Cingular per contract and iPhone purchase, plus about 150-200 in profit per phone. They'll do just fine if they continue with their niche market. Look at Helio for example. They'll never be king but they make money and do just fine.

As for Corp. adoption, you've got to start somewhere. Blackberry didn't emerge one day and automatically become hugely popular. It took some time to grow support.

Agreed on the Halo effect. Now that they have switched to Intel though, they have seen a huge increase in sales.

IMO, they need to focus on quality hardware and making money there as I don't see the other markets every becoming as big as their computer market. Maybe Cell Phones.

GoPackGo
02-19-2008, 03:15 PM

Sounds like you're into Sausage parties. I can't say I'm suprised.

Partial
02-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Yes..

RashanGary
02-19-2008, 05:55 PM
I had a macbook for a while.

The screen was very good for a laptop screen. The keyboard felt great. I never had any problems. It was easy to use.

There are probably some great windows based laptops out there, but I can't make one complaint about my Mac. Mac users might be annoying, but the Mac is a good product.

Partial
02-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Sony and Lenovo Thinkpads are good. Other than that I have seen very few high build quality products.

RashanGary
02-19-2008, 06:17 PM
When I first got it, I was impressed with how well made everythign was. Just the little things.

Anyone who talks up a Mac isn't talkign it up like it's this new great thing that is completely different from a PC. They're talking it up because they deliver on all of the little things as well as having a very reliable opperating system. In the end, it's just a computer. It's not that big of deal, but if you want a quality one and you want peace of mind knowing buttons aren't going to break off or viruses aren't going to corrupt the piss out of it then a Mac is for you.

twoseven
02-19-2008, 06:27 PM

What the hell did I say?

I think would could??!?

I think few would dispute***
Ok, so now you're the Mac guy with Tourrette's Syndrome .

MadtownPacker
02-19-2008, 07:31 PM

What the hell did I say?

I think would could??!?

I think few would dispute***Look how mac user is replaying to his OWN POST!! Arrogant bastard must feel he is superior. He must "think different"! :lol:

http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/evilapple.jpg