PDA

View Full Version : Reggie McKenzie

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2006, 11:53 AM
For some reason the following comments bothered me. I know it's not a big deal, but he still works for the Packers, and they drafted A.J. Hawk high. He could have said that Mario ranked high on the Packers draft board or something like that. I don't know, it just bugged me.

he said that if Williams would have dropped to the Packers’ No. 5 draft slot, he would “still be dancing in the streets of Green Bay.”

McKenzie says he’s the man for Texans’ GM job
By KRISTIE RIEKEN

HOUSTON — Reggie McKenzie didn’t just sit in an office all day during his interview with the Houston Texans for their general manager job on Wednesday.

The Green Bay Packers director of pro personnel wanted to get a look at the team he’d be leading if chosen for the job that Charley Casserly recently resigned from. So he spent part of his visit watching Houston’s more than two-hour practice on Wednesday morning.

“I love watching the guys work, that’s how you get a feel for your team,” he said. “It was important for me to be out there, see how the coaches coach, see how the players work.”

And although he thought highly of the franchise before his visit, he came away even more impressed with the Texans. He spoke glowingly of owner Bob McNair, coach Gary Kubiak, the facilities and even the city of Houston.

Though the 43-year-old has had various offers to leave Green Bay in the past, Wednesday’s interview was his first for a general manager position. But after working with the Packers since 1994, he believes he’s ready for the next step.

“Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢m the man for the job,” he said. “I can lead this team. I can work with all the powers that be and try to put a championship team together. And if the route we want to go is to win, I’m their guy.”

The Packers went to the Super Bowl twice during McKenzie’s tenure and won it in 1997. He stressed his experience in helping to build Super Bowl-caliber teams in Green Bay and said he thinks Houston is on the cusp of a turnaround.

“I look at it as a team that’s moving up,” he said.

McKenzie is the second candidate Houston has interviewed for the job after talking with Denver assistant general manager Rick Smith last Friday.

Both Smith and McKenzie have ties to current members of Houston’s staff. Smith worked with Kubiak in Denver while McKenzie spent time with Texans assistant head coach Mike Sherman.

“I don’t know what he has told the people here, but I think my track record speaks for itself and Coach Sherman was part of that track record,” McKenzie said. “We worked together prior to this, and we had a good working relationship.”

As a former NFL linebacker, McKenzie was very impressed with Houston’s decision to put a premium on defense by drafting defensive end Mario Williams with the first pick in the draft.

His motto in picking players is to always choose the one that’s “bigger, faster and stronger” and he said that if Williams would have dropped to the Packers’ No. 5 draft slot, he would “still be dancing in the streets of Green Bay.”

“Marioâà ¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s the one guy we think that could turn the defense around,” McKenzie said. “Heââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s a young guy with a lot to learn. But those are the type of players you’re willing to learn with.”

Casserly announced his resignation May 10, but won’t officially be gone until June 1. Texans officials hope to name his successor before the end of minicamp, which is June 14.

Deputy Nutz
05-25-2006, 12:14 PM
McKenzie already sounds like he has gotten the job. He also has done a nice job at the sucking pole while he was in Houston with his little statement about Mario Williams. Besides his track record under Sherman kinda blew dog vomit, but thats just my opinion.

No Mo Moss
05-25-2006, 02:21 PM
I think he's been very good for Green Bay in his 12 years here. I understand the criticism of him during the Sherman era, but its hard to believe Reggie was the guy behind the curtain urging Sherman to trade up for a punter in the 3rd round.

GBRulz
05-25-2006, 02:25 PM
If he isn't chosen for the job, he'll be served a silver plate of crow by the GB press asking about that particular comment, that's for sure.

Deputy Nutz
05-25-2006, 02:54 PM
I think he's been very good for Green Bay in his 12 years here. I understand the criticism of him during the Sherman era, but its hard to believe Reggie was the guy behind the curtain urging Sherman to trade up for a punter in the 3rd round.

If he claims no responsiblity for the picks in free agency or in the draft, then why would he want to go work for the same franchise that has hired Mike Sherman? Why is mike throwing his hat in the ring for McKenzie? If McKenzie was the voice of reason that was ignored in Green Bay during Mike Sherman's tenure as GM why does he want to go to an organization that values Sherman's opinions?

jack's smirking revenge
05-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Where's wist43 when we need a comment about a shakeup in our personnel department?

:D

tyler

packrulz
05-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Obviously he really, really wants the job but to say "my track record speaks for itself" puzzles me.
I don’t know what he has told the people here, but I think my track record speaks for itself and Coach Sherman was part of that track record,” McKenzie said. “We worked together prior to this, and we had a good working relationship.”
They drafted Walker, but the other guys haven't done much, and they pissed away a lot of draft picks moving up to get them.

Tarlam!
05-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Gawd, he really leaned out the window with his statements, didn't he? I can see him saying that stuff AFTER he gets the nod, but until then, he's still a Packer Backer!

You can say that shit in the interview. You HAVE to say that shit in an interview. BUT GAWD!!!!

If he isn't offered the job, he has some mountains to climb!

Rastak
05-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Obviously he really, really wants the job but to say "my track record speaks for itself" puzzles me.
I don’t know what he has told the people here, but I think my track record speaks for itself and Coach Sherman was part of that track record,” McKenzie said. “We worked together prior to this, and we had a good working relationship.”
They drafted Walker, but the other guys haven't done much, and they pissed away a lot of draft picks moving up to get them.

But isn't he the pro personnel director? His focus would be free agency then and not the draft.

packrulz
05-25-2006, 03:22 PM
I think you're right but I thought he helped with the draft and as GM in Houston he would be drafting. In FA he got maybe Grady Jackson but also Joe Johnson. Cletius Hunt also got signed to a fat contract and was a flop and as pro personnel director I would think he had final say in that. I really don't know what all his duties were but I wish I knew what his track record is that he's so proud about.

Mazzin
05-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Quick ? is wist on board, on this forum? I hope so always liked that guys posts.....

Man I KEEP finding myself in the Romper Room, it's addicting, almost as addicting as NOS. Sorry for saying I thought it was a bad idea to sort through the off topics before....I simply thought that they would just cycle them to the back, and i would have to flip through 1000 pages to get to it. :D

packrulz
05-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Welcome mazzin, wist comes around sometimes when he has something to bitch about. :lol:

Mazzin
05-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks Rulz, everyone on this board is so friendly compared to say....JSO i mean damn this is the best board ever, AND there is CONSTANT convos starting.

pbmax
05-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Reggie works the pro side of the personnel aisle, so while he can point to Gado and one of the young guards, etc., he has less of a role in Walker/Hawk and a theoretical choosing Mario over Hawk. While I am sure he did his share of scouting and review of draft picks, it wasn't his baliwick. Think Free Agents and waiver claims.

And as for holding a guy to account for statements made while applying for a job, while he may look silly afterwards, I find it hard to hold a grudge when the guy is just trying to improve his position.

Kiwon
05-25-2006, 07:31 PM
And as for holding a guy to account for statements made while applying for a job, while he may look silly afterwards, I find it hard to hold a grudge when the guy is just trying to improve his position.

Agreed, PBMAX. I am familiar with his story from his high school days and it is gratifying to watch his development. His playing career was cut short by injury but he has continued in the sport and acheived a lot. To even be considered for a GM job at his age is very significant.

b bulldog
05-25-2006, 08:06 PM
All that post here know that I have much love for Mario but this comment is plain stupid.

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2006, 08:27 PM
I don't dislike Reggie, and I think he's done a good job. I just didn't like the comment. If he doesn't get the job, he'll be back with the Packers--and that's not the type of comment you want coming from your personnel people.

Rastak
05-25-2006, 09:01 PM
I don't dislike Reggie, and I think he's done a good job. I just didn't like the comment. If he doesn't get the job, he'll be back with the Packers--and that's not the type of comment you want coming from your personnel people.

Well, unless I missed something he didn't really rag on Hawk. Not sure what the damage is....

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Well, unless I missed something he didn't really rag on Hawk. Not sure what the damage is....

It's not that big, but what if Studwell came out and said "man, if Hawk fell to us, we would have been jumping in the streets." I can even see admitting one guy was higher on your board, but it's somewhat disrespectful to the guy you did draft. You just don't see it that much.

retailguy
05-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks Rulz, everyone on this board is so friendly compared to say....JSO i mean damn this is the best board ever, AND there is CONSTANT convos starting.

HEY, SHUT UP you little twit..... :lol:

Just kidding. glad you are here.... :wink:

Just had to remind everyone what JSO was really like. Maybe now I'll post someones personal information..... Just kidding.

Rastak
05-26-2006, 06:26 AM

It's not that big, but what if Studwell came out and said "man, if Hawk fell to us, we would have been jumping in the streets." I can even see admitting one guy was higher on your board, but it's somewhat disrespectful to the guy you did draft. You just don't see it that much.

You favorite website seems to agree with you........from profootballtalk:

McKENZIE DISSES A. J.?

Earlier on Thursday, we noted that Packers director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie might have shot himself in the foot by shooting off his mouth regarding his desire to become the next G.M. of the Texans.

An additional quote that a reader e-mailed to us on Thursday evening suggests that, if McKenzie ends up staying in Green Bay, he might have set himself up for an awkward moment or two with first-round selection A. J. Hawk, the large-skulled linebacker taken with the fifth overall pick in the draft.

Said McKenzie regarding the Texans' No. 1 overall pick in the draft, defensive end Mario Williams: "If he would've landed at the No. 5 pick, I'd still be dancing in the streets of Green Bay. He's the one guy that we think that could turn a defense around."

Implicit in this remark is the suggestion that McKenzie thinks that Hawk, well, isn't a guy who could turn a defense around.

Of course, not every team agreed with McKenzie's assessment. In the days preceding the draft, the Saints decided to select Hawk at No. 2, if the Texans had opted for Reggie Bush at No. 1. This would have prompted Williams to fall to No. 4.

So it looks to us that McKenzie is swinging for the fences in the efforts to get a promotion -- even if it means burning a bridge or two in his current place of employment.

Fritz
05-26-2006, 07:06 AM
What I'm mostly curious about at this point is the dynamic of the front office. Somewhere recently (Was it SI?) somebody did an article on the dramas of various front offices, and when it came to the Packers TT got high marks for not carrying a huge ego and being able to work with people, but there was also mention that there were some huge egos competing beneath him, which caused the front office to sometimes stumble a bit. I wonder who those egos are, what their problems with each other are, and how it could be resolved. Therefore I wonder if Reggie Mckenzie getting this job would be good or bad for the Packers.

Besides, truth be told, I'd rather have Williams than Hawk, anyway. The dude's (Mckenzie) trying to get a job - and he's REALLY trying. If he doesn't get it, he'll say all the right things and in three weeks we'll be on to something or someone new.

MJZiggy
05-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Three weeks? You think it will take that long...well...I suppose it is a slow offseason.