PDA

View Full Version : Time to re-do Kampy's contract?

twoseven
02-19-2008, 05:07 PM
KC will most likely be working hard to sign Jared Allen to a long term deal at this point, sooner than later I am guessing. Aside from LJ and Gonzalez, there is no player more valuable on their roster.

That being said, is it wise to re-do Aaron Kampman's contract again (like right now) before KC throws some outrageous figure at Allen and drives Kampy's price through the roof, a preemptive strike of sorts? Kampy's only secured for two more seasons and only got paid 4.1 mil last year. I have to believe Allen's agent could and will press for a lot more than that annually. Or does Allen's agent use Kampman's current deal as a measure for what Allen should get?

Taking it a step further, would a re-worked Kampy deal undermine Allen's agent's efforts to reach a deal with KC if Kampy's new numbers were reasonable enough for him but lower than what Allen's guy might want? I know this seems a stretch, but the two players are similar in many ways it seems.

SkinBasket
02-19-2008, 05:43 PM
No.

You know contracts are going to continue to increase every year. That's no reason to keep restructuring the ones you have and 2 years is a long time yet for a DE.

The Leaper
02-20-2008, 09:56 AM
I agree with Skin. They just redid his deal prior to last season. I would expect that the next time they revisit Kamp's deal is after the 2008 season.

Also, doing deals just to hinder contract negotiations for another team seems pretty dumb if you ask me. You are only pissing off the agents (which won't help yourself in future negotiations with agents) and other teams (which won't help yourself in future negotiations with other teams). The point is to keep focus on what YOUR team is doing and whether the contracts you are offering are fair. Forget what another team is trying to do.

MadtownPacker
02-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Hell no you dont give him more money yet. Wait until 2009.