PDA

View Full Version : Colts Clark, Lilja off market.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Colts designate Clark as franchise playerAssociated Press

Updated: February 20, 2008, 9:31 AM EST 1 comment RSS digg blog email print INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The Indianapolis Colts have designated tight end Dallas Clark their franchise player, retaining him through at least the upcoming season.

Clark, the team's first-round pick in the 2003 draft, was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent. Clark caught a career-high 58 passes for 618 yards and 11 touchdowns last season.

The move amounts to a one-year contract worth the average of the league's top five tight ends in 2007: $4.522 million. Clark still is able to sign an offer sheet with another team, but the Colts can match the offer or receive two first-round draft picks as compensation from his new team.

The Colts also announced Wednesday that they have agreed to terms with offensive guard Ryan Lilja. Acquired off waivers from Kansas City in 2004, he has started 43 of 50 games in four seasons. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Teams have until Thursday to place the franchise tag on unrestricted free agents, after which they can negotiate long-term deals until July 15. After that, teams may only negotiate one-year deals with the players.

KYPack
02-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Unless all the cap lists are completely whacky, Indy is now WAY over the cap.

They will have to make cuts and re-configure some deals.

This move should mean that G Jake Scott is gone. they will have to let him walk in UFA. He is an interesting player. He might be a stopgap, but he is a more capable option for us than say, Colledge.

Patler
02-20-2008, 11:11 AM

This move should mean that G Jake Scott is gone. they will have to let him walk in UFA. He is an interesting player. He might be a stopgap, but he is a more capable option for us than say, Colledge.

What have you seen recently for the Colts? I saw one that had them $8.5 million under for 2008. Clark would use up $4.5 million of that. Lilja's might be quite cap friendly the first year, so the are possibly skating close to the edge, but perhaps not yet over.

They will have to do somethings to free up enough for their rookie pool, fill their roster, etc. and I agree signing Scott might be tough for them.

I think all teams should be required to publish their salary cap list so fans like us can keep up with it!!! :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
02-20-2008, 11:32 AM
The Colts also announced Wednesday that they have agreed to terms with offensive guard Ryan Lilja. Acquired off waivers from Kansas City in 2004, he has started 43 of 50 games in four seasons.

Sounds like a Ted Thompson move right there.

The Leaper
02-20-2008, 11:41 AM

I agree. I would make a strong push for Scott.

The Leaper
02-20-2008, 11:43 AM
With another healthy amount spent on offense, it is just a matter of time before the Indy defense goes straight into the crapper.

Patler
02-20-2008, 11:45 AM
With another healthy amount spent on offense, it is just a matter of time before the Indy defense goes straight into the crapper.

You mean right back where it came from a couple years ago? :lol: :lol:

the_idle_threat
02-20-2008, 11:52 AM

Yeah, but they spent a ton of money on Kabeer ... err I mean ... Dwight Freeney! :D

KYPack
02-20-2008, 11:53 AM

What have you seen recently for the Colts? I saw one that had them $8.5 million under for 2008. Clark would use up $4.5 million of that. Lilja's might be quite cap friendly the first year, so the are possibly skating close to the edge, but perhaps not yet over.

They will have to do somethings to free up enough for their rookie pool, fill their roster, etc. and I agree signing Scott might be tough for them.

I think all teams should be required to publish their salary cap list so fans like us can keep up with it!!! :lol:

Well, I got two.

Ask the Commish
Indianapolis Colts $8.49 M
There are currently 48 players under contract.

PFT
Indianapolis Colts
$125,800,000
Proj Cap 116,000,000.

So PFT has 'em over by a good bit, AC has 'em on the edge, like you said.

Either way, they can't keep Scott on their roster.