PDA

View Full Version : What taggin Williams and cutting Franks means..

Pacopete4
02-20-2008, 11:12 PM
I think tagging Williams shows TT's knowledge for depth at the defensive line and shows that he's not sold on Harrell's progression from last season.

I think cutting Bubba shows TT loves what he see's in Lee as the starter both in blocking and receiving. I also think he see's something in Humphrey and Krause to make him think they will be better off with them as either the #2 or #3 guy depending on the draft or free agency

Iron Mike
02-20-2008, 11:15 PM
I think cutting Bubba shows TT loves what he see's in Lee as the starter both in blocking and receiving. I also think he see's something in Humphrey and Krause to make him think they will be better off with them as either the #2 or #3 guy depending on the draft or free agency

Either that or he's planning on picking up Shockey.

Chevelle2
02-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Or Alge.

MadtownPacker
02-20-2008, 11:41 PM
TT is acting like a guy about to put all his chips on the table. Alge would be a great signing for a year.

NewsBruin
02-20-2008, 11:49 PM
What does this year's TE crop look like? Could there be a guy who develops into Better Than Bubba for less per year?

Iron Mike
02-20-2008, 11:53 PM
There's enough free agents to be had:

Free Agent Tight Ends (http://football.about.com/od/nationalfootballleague/a/freeagentTE.htm)

HarveyWallbangers
02-21-2008, 12:36 AM

Free Agent Tight Ends (http://football.about.com/od/nationalfootballleague/a/freeagentTE.htm)

Considering Clark and Smith are gone, it's not a great list. There are a few guys that can replace Bubba though.

1. Dallas Clark (U) Indianapolis
2. L.J. Smith (F) Philadelphia
3. Bo Scaife (R) Tennessee
4. Ben Utecht (R) Indianapolis
5. Eric Johnson (U) New Orleans
6. Jeremy Stevens (U) Tampa Bay
7. Kris Wilson (U) Kansas City
8. Michael Gaines (U) Buffalo
9. Billy Miller (U) New Orleans
10. Marcus Pollard (U) Seattle
11. Bryan Fletcher (R) Indianapolis
12. Ben Troupe, (U) Tennessee
13. Anthony Becht (U) Tampa Bay
14. John Gilmore, (U) Chicago
15. Ben Hartsock (U) Tennessee

Not many burners in the group though, so you're looking at a younger, less expensive version of Bubba if you go the FA route.

HarveyWallbangers
02-21-2008, 01:33 AM
JSO reports that the Packers were $24M under the cap. Releasing Bubba put them at $26.5M. Tagging Williams put them right around $20M. They also said scouts were impressed with Williams.

Only two players that were tagged have been traded--Champ Bailey and John Abraham. Teams are very reluctant to give up both draft pick(s) and big money on a long-term deal.

There was also a note that the draft is deep at TE this year--although there aren't a ton of great all around TEs.

twoseven
02-21-2008, 03:54 AM
This is the first Bubba string I've read, so apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but..is it correct to assume that we needed to cut Bubba now and not later this year to avoid paying him some money?

Kiwon
02-21-2008, 04:02 AM
I'd say that's a safe assumption.

packrulz
02-21-2008, 06:32 AM
What does this year's TE crop look like? Could there be a guy who develops into Better Than Bubba for less per year?

Here's the TE's from scout.com, Fred Davis is the only one projected to go in the first round.

Pos Pos
Rank Rating Name Yr Ht/Wt/40 College Home
TE 1 Fred Davis SR 6-3.5/251/4.75 USC Toledo, OH
TE 2 Martellus Bennett JR 6-6/250/4.75 Texas A&M Houston, TX
TE 3 Dustin Keller SR 6-2/251/4.70 Purdue Lafayette, IN
TE 4 Martin Rucker SR 6-4.5/249/4.71 Missouri St Joseph, MO
TE 5 John Carlson SR 6-5/259/4.70 Notre Dame Litchfield, MN
TE 6 Brad Cottam SR 6-8/275/4.70 Tennessee Cordova, TN
TE 7 Jacob Tamme SR 6-3.5/236/4.92 Kentucky Danville, KY
TE 8 Jermichael Finley SO 6-5/240/- Texas Diboll, TX
TE 9 Craig Stevens SR 6-4/257/4.78 California Rolling Hills, CA
TE 10 Cornelius Ingram JR 6-4/235/4.65 Florida Hawthorne, FL
TE 11 Joe John Finley SR 6-5/260/4.90 Oklahoma Arlington, TX
TE 12 Gary Barnidge SR 6-5.5/234/4.78 Louisville Middleburg, FL
TE 13 Darrell Strong SR 6-4.5/264/4.90 Pittsburgh Plantation, FL
TE 14 Joey Haynos SR 6-7.5/266/4.92 Maryland Washington, DC
TE 15 Kolomona Kapanui SR 6-3/262/4.90 West Texas A&M Honolulu, HI
TE 16 Mike Peterson SR 6-2/248/4.58 Northwest Missouri State
TE 17 Cole Bennett SR 6-4.5/251/4.78 Auburn Dalton, GA
TE 18 Tom Santi SR 6-5/255/4.80 Virginia Nashville, TN
TE 19 Derek Fine SR 6-3/250/4.90 Kansas Sallisaw, OK
TE 20 Wade Betschart SR 6-2/249/4.90 Wyoming

Bretsky
02-21-2008, 07:02 AM
This is the first Bubba string I've read, so apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but..is it correct to assume that we needed to cut Bubba now and not later this year to avoid paying him some money?

No real benefit of cutting Bubba now except it gives him more time to find a new home.

He was due a $500,000 roster bonus and a base salary of $3 million this season, but all of that has been wiped off the books. The Packers will have to absorb $1 million of amortized signing bonus remaining from the 2009 season, leaving them with a net gain of $2.5 million on their salary cap.

RashanGary
02-21-2008, 07:56 AM
I consider saving $500,000 on a player that you already evlauated as replacable is the right thing to do.

The Leaper
02-21-2008, 08:03 AM
I think tagging Williams shows TT's knowledge for depth at the defensive line and shows that he's not sold on Harrell's progression from last season.

I think tagging Williams shows that TT isn't willing to give up a promising young player for nothing. I don't think it says anything about Harrell.

The Leaper
02-21-2008, 08:06 AM
I consider saving $500,000 on a player that you already evlauated as replacable is the right thing to do.

Yeah...but that is a small price to pay when you consider we now have NOTHING behind Lee at TE. Promoting Ryan Krause to 2nd string IMO isn't worth the $500k savings unless you plan on using the money saved on chopping Franks for upgrades elsewhere.

RashanGary
02-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Average players are a dime a dozen. Franks will be replaced. I think the odds are the player will be the same or better, younger and cheaper.

The Leaper
02-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Average players are a dime a dozen. Franks will be replaced. I think the odds are the player will be the same or better, younger and cheaper.

I would agree. I was about 99.9% certain Franks would not be on the final roster in week one next September.

However, cutting him before you have a capable replacement IMO shows that Thompson is committed to firing some bullets in FA this year.

Scott Campbell
02-21-2008, 08:27 AM

I think tagging Williams shows that TT isn't willing to give up a promising young player for nothing. I don't think it says anything about Harrell.

Agreed.

LL2
02-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Only two players that were tagged have been traded--Champ Bailey and John Abraham.

I'd say it's very unlikely CW gets traded. He's not of the caliber of Bailey or Abraham. I wouldn't trade CW. He's worth keeping while Jolly gets healthy and Harrell develops. The Pack need DL depth to make another push towards the SB.

RashanGary
02-21-2008, 10:15 AM
I think tagging Williams and cutting Franks shows that Ted Thompson values Williams and doesn't particularly value Franks.

I think it's evidence that Thompson is open minded to building a team in any number of ways that oppertunity may dictate rather than being pigeon holed into thinking he HAS to have so and so number of TE's or so and so number of DT's. I think moves like this and moves like keeping 6 DT's and only 2 QB's (after final roster cuts last year) show that Ted Thompson is willing to go outside the box a little to have the best players and he counts on his coaching staff to coach to the strengths rather than trying to force talent into a narrow box of what is supposed to be normal.

I've always said Thompson was in one word, "oppertunistic". I think this supports that because he kept a good player below market value and made some cap room by letting an below average player go even though only having one TE is outside the box for this time of year.

HarveyWallbangers
02-21-2008, 10:38 AM
I think tagging Williams and cutting Franks shows that Ted Thompson values Williams and doesn't particularly value Franks.

Pretty much the bottom line. At least, he didn't value Bubba at his price tag. If he were making the vet minimum, he'd probably still be on the team.

Harlan Huckleby
02-21-2008, 10:52 AM

Pretty much the bottom line. At least, he didn't value Bubba at his price tag. If he were making the vet minimum, he'd probably still be on the team.

Captain Obvious outbreak, boys.

b bulldog
02-21-2008, 05:08 PM
It could show that TT truely does like having 99 as a part of a talented D line rotation and he'd hate to lose him without anything in return and it could also show that TT is worried about Jolly's injury and the play of Harrell. TT is the only one that knows.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-21-2008, 05:09 PM
It could show that TT truely does like having 99 as a part of a talented D line rotation and he'd hate to lose him without anything in return and it could also show that TT is worried about Jolly's injury and the play of Harrell. TT is the only one that knows.

That isn't true. Woody and Merlin know. :roll:

HarveyWallbangers
02-21-2008, 05:11 PM

Captain Obvious outbreak, boys.

Not so obvious to some, apparently.

twoseven
02-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Not sure if others have already read about this or not, but on packerchatters they write that Crumpler will meet with prospective suitors at the combine rather than fly all over the country.

http://packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=3989

"Crumpler listed at least seven teams that he might meet with: Green Bay, Buffalo, Detroit, Seattle, Carolina, Tampa Bay and Tennessee."

"I'm not looking for the red carpet treatment," he said. "I'm just looking for a team I can win on. I'm not bitter. It's not like I have to be in the NFC South so I can play the Falcons twice. I'm more concerned about the team that I'm going to play for."

Pacopete4
02-21-2008, 07:12 PM
"Crumpler listed at least seven teams that he might meet with: Green Bay, Buffalo, Detroit, Seattle, Carolina, Tampa Bay and Tennessee."

"I'm not looking for the red carpet treatment," he said. "I'm just looking for a team I can win on. I'm not bitter. It's not like I have to be in the NFC South so I can play the Falcons twice. I'm more concerned about the team that I'm going to play for."

Well out of those teams listed I'd say we have a pretty good shot to be that team he sees he can win with.. specially if Favre would just tell us he's back, call crumps up and tell em he'll be his keith jackson of the 2000's

hoosier
02-21-2008, 07:27 PM

Considering Clark and Smith are gone, it's not a great list. There are a few guys that can replace Bubba though.

1. Dallas Clark (U) Indianapolis
2. L.J. Smith (F) Philadelphia
3. Bo Scaife (R) Tennessee
4. Ben Utecht (R) Indianapolis
5. Eric Johnson (U) New Orleans
6. Jeremy Stevens (U) Tampa Bay
7. Kris Wilson (U) Kansas City
8. Michael Gaines (U) Buffalo
9. Billy Miller (U) New Orleans
10. Marcus Pollard (U) Seattle
11. Bryan Fletcher (R) Indianapolis
12. Ben Troupe, (U) Tennessee
13. Anthony Becht (U) Tampa Bay
14. John Gilmore, (U) Chicago
15. Ben Hartsock (U) Tennessee

Not many burners in the group though, so you're looking at a younger, less expensive version of Bubba if you go the FA route.

Yeah, this list goes "yuck." I can't see that TT would prioritize signing another pass catching TE when he already has a fairly deep and talented stable of WRs. Signing Crumpler would just take snaps away from Jones and Robinson. Maybe pursue someone like Becht or Wilson as a cheaper version of Bubba for short yardage.