PDA

View Full Version : Where we at with the cap?

wist43
02-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Hey everybody... haven't been able to keep up with the team lately and have no idea where we're at with the cap - especially with tagging Williams.

Did any of last years cap go unused, or did TT move some things around similar to the end of the '06 season???

How much cap space do we have for '08???

Can someone catch me up???

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-21-2008, 08:54 AM
HW posted in another thread...............

JSO reports that the Packers were $24M under the cap. Releasing Bubba put them at $26.5M. Tagging Williams put them right around $20M. They also said scouts were impressed with Williams.

Only two players that were tagged have been traded--Champ Bailey and John Abraham. Teams are very reluctant to give up both draft pick(s) and big money on a long-term deal.

There was also a note that the draft is deep at TE this year--although there aren't a ton of great all around TEs.

red
02-21-2008, 01:10 PM
plus we can gain about 6 million by finally cutting kgb

HarveyWallbangers
02-21-2008, 02:09 PM

Finally? Why? Old, slow, good blocking TEs are easy to replace. Pass rushers are not.

Partial
02-21-2008, 02:14 PM

Finally? Why? Old, slow, good blocking TEs are easy to replace. Pass rushers are not.

I suspect they will keep KGB for another year and draft an end on the traditional first day (meaning 3 rounds).

woodbuck27
02-21-2008, 03:09 PM
I hope they somehow use KGB in some form of a . . hahaha I was going to say trade. . . but this is the NFL.

So I'm logging it that we have about 20 $Million of CAP space remaining today with Bubba gone and Cory Williams franchised.

Partial
02-21-2008, 03:29 PM
I hope they somehow use KGB in some form of a . . hahaha I was going to say trade. . . but this is the NFL.

So I'm logging it that we have about 20 $Million of CAP space remaining today with Bubba gone and Cory Williams franchised.

and an army of young, talented players coming up on contract years. The answer fr. TT?

RANDY MOSS

:)

red
02-21-2008, 03:55 PM

i say finally because i've been saying they should cut him for the last 3 years because he was way too expensive for what little he brought to the team

this is his most expensive year cap wise (7.5 ish)

the thing is, he's coming off his best year in awhile

so its cost vs. value

if we need the money, i can see him being cut. if we don't need the money, i can see keeping him

The Leaper
02-21-2008, 04:16 PM
i say finally because i've been saying they should cut him for the last 3 years because he was way too expensive for what little he brought to the team

KGB has 8 or more sacks in 6 of the last 7 seasons. You can probably count the number of DEs in the league who can say that on one hand.

It is one thing to argue that KGB isn't worth the value of his contract currently. It is another to blindly argue that KGB isn't worth anything and should have been discarded 3 years ago. A situational pass rusher certainly has value...and KGB is one of the better ones in the league.

red
02-21-2008, 04:42 PM
in 05 and 06 he had 14 combined sacks

he's a one trick pony, and when that pony only has 6 sacks and is among the highest paid at his position in the nfl, then its time to let him go

like i said, he did play better this year, but he's still a one trick pony

and its not like he was getting the double team this year. he has a stud playing on the other side, that should have made things much easier for him. not to mention he only had to play half the snaps or so

like i said its cost vs. value for the team. is that player worth that money for what he

i can use fun numbers to my bennefit too

if 10 sacks is what an "elite" DE gets a year. then kgb has only been an "elite" player 4 out of his 8 years and hasn't been an "elite" de the last 3 years

yet he's right around the top 10 ("elite") highest paid DE's

HarveyWallbangers
02-21-2008, 05:09 PM
KGB was a bad fit as a full-time DE. He went back to what he's good this year. What he's good at is tough to find in the NFL. Our defense was one of the best third down defenses in the NFL. Our defense also gets sacks without blitzing. He contributed to both those things.

Lose Bubba Franks. No big deal. Guys like him are easy to find.
Lose KGB. Different story. Guys like him aren't easy to find.

Charles Woodson
02-21-2008, 05:33 PM
KGB was a bad fit as a full-time DE. He went back to what he's good this year. What he's good at is tough to find in the NFL. Our defense was one of the best third down defenses in the NFL. Our defense also gets sacks without blitzing. He contributed to both those things.

Lose Bubba Franks. No big deal. Guys like him are easy to find.
Lose KGB. Different story. Guys like him aren't easy to find.

i agree,
Red getting sacks isnt everything... Getting pressure and forcing 4th downs are essential for good defenses.

Bretsky
02-21-2008, 05:46 PM
In today's market KGB is fine; no way would I cut him. Might ask him to restructure, but I still would not cut him.

pbmax
02-21-2008, 08:38 PM
I'll say it. KGB is worth next to nothing as a situational pass rusher.

He disappears against quality Offensive Tackles and can be counted upon to get 2-3 sack games against teams forced to pass with a below average Tackle opposite him. Also usually at home when he gets a head start on the O Line.

The only reason to keep him is if the coaches and GM don't feel there is anything worth giving his playing time to behind him. And that would be a sad state of affairs.

KGB is the designated pass rusher on a 10-6 first round loss playoff team. He doesn't play much on a championship caliber defense.

KGB has 8 or more sacks in 6 of the last 7 seasons. You can probably count the number of DEs in the league who can say that on one hand.

It is one thing to argue that KGB isn't worth the value of his contract currently. It is another to blindly argue that KGB isn't worth anything and should have been discarded 3 years ago. A situational pass rusher certainly has value...and KGB is one of the better ones in the league.

Jimx29
02-21-2008, 10:17 PM
There's a lot of teams with a lot of "projected" cap $$$$ laying around

http://i27.tinypic.com/2cntdw2.png

twoseven
02-22-2008, 04:19 AM

Good lord, who's holding the purse in JAX, a member of the Pohlad family?

Rastak
02-22-2008, 05:51 AM

Good lord, who's holding the purse in JAX, a member of the Pohlad family?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is a lot of cash lying around. Top tier guys are gonna get a load of cash.

The Leaper
02-22-2008, 07:52 AM
I'll say it. KGB is worth next to nothing as a situational pass rusher.

Yeah, I agree that he struggles against top tier OTs...but so do most other DEs, which is why the OTs are top tier.

Tauscher shut down Strahan. Does that mean Strahan sucks and has no value? Of course not.

KGB isn't what he used to be...and he isn't worth the value of his contract. However, that does not mean he isn't a contributor to the team and that he should just be cut. He provides value. The guy came up with several very big plays last season in crucial moments in the 4th quarter.