PDA

View Full Version : 49'ers waive Smith

Zool
02-21-2008, 10:42 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/20/SPC7V52TI.DTL

Linebacker Derek Smith, a dependable player on a series of losing teams with the 49ers, was waived Tuesday in a move by the club that was influenced by equal parts high salary and declining play. He had been on the books for a reported $3.45 million for 2008.

Smith came to the 49ers in 2001 as a free agent from the Washington Redskins and recorded 100-plus tackles at inside linebacker for five straight seasons until an eye injury in 2006 reduced his effectiveness. Smith played with essentially one good eye that season but still racked up 93 tackles in 13 games while fighting through double vision.

Smith started 14 games last season and had 98 tackles but his role in San Francisco's defense was diminished with the arrival of top draft pick Patrick Willis, who tackled everything in sight and was named the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year.

"We made the decision because we have quality linebackers who we think are the future of the 49ers," said coach Mike Nolan, referring to Willis and third-year pro Manny Lawson. "Derek was a model professional during his seven seasons with the 49ers and he influenced a lot of the younger players with his work ethic."

Smith was a favorite of Nolan's for his professionalism and the move to cut him was "a difficult part of a great business," the coach said. "Derek has been an important member of the 49ers and you don't make these kind of decisions without battling the emotion that is natural when you are dealing with a player (who) has done so much for your organization."

At 33 and a veteran of 11 seasons, Smith said he wants to continue a career that began in 1997 with the Redskins. Smith has made 1,493 tackles in his career and has 13 1/2 sacks. He was named the 49ers' most valuable player in 2005.

"I enjoyed my time with the 49ers over the last seven years," Smith said in a statement. "It is unfortunate that we did not accomplish what we wanted to during that time. I wish the team the best of luck and I hope they get to where they want to be soon. In the meantime, it's time for me to move on and find another team in the NFL."

Waiving Smith now gives the 49ers salary-cap room to pursue free agents beginning Feb. 29. The 49ers are believed to be interested in linebacker Lance Briggs of the Bears, soon to be an unrestricted free agent.

Willis on the inside and Lawson on the outside will be featured linebackers in the 49ers' 3-4 defense in 2008. Inside linebacker Jeff Ulbrich experienced a career revival late in the season as Nolan played him more from scrimmage than he had earlier in the year. Brandon Moore gives the 49ers the flexibility to line up inside or outside.

Also Tuesday, the 49ers offered a contract tender to their one restricted free agent, tight end Billy Bajema, a 2005 draft pick from Oklahoma State. As a restricted free agent, Bajema will be free to talk to other teams until April 18, when his rights revert to the 49ers. If Bajema, a stout blocker, receives an offer from another club, the 49ers have the right to match the offer and keep him.

GoPackGo
02-21-2008, 10:46 AM
No way!!!!I thought you were gonna say the 49ers waived Alex Smith.