PDA

View Full Version : DRAFT: Deep at Corner, Shallow at Safety

RashanGary
02-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Todd McShay
ESPN Insider

Similar to a year ago, the 2008 crop of cornerbacks is deep and talented, but void of a blue-chipper who without a doubt belongs in the top 10. The only difference is that this year's top prospects hail from schools like Troy, South Florida and Tennessee State, not Pittsburgh, Michigan and Texas.

There could be as many as 10 cornerbacks -- Mike Jenkins, Leodis McKelvin, Aqib Talib, Brandon Flowers, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Reggie Smith, Tracy Porter, Patrick Lee, Antoine Cason and Chevis Jackson -- who come off the board between the middle of the first round and the end of the second round.

Jenkins, McKelvin and Talib are competing for the honor of being the first corner selected. Jenkins has the best combination of size and speed, McKelvin is the most sudden athlete, and Talib is the biggest and most versatile of the three. All three have experience in the return game and McKelvin has the greatest upside in that department, but Talib is the only one with significant experience on both sides of the ball, having caught eight passes at wide receiver in 2007.

Flowers lacks elite size and speed, but he is the most polished cover corner in the class right now, which is why it won't shock me if he sneaks into the bottom of Round 1. Porter also possesses first-round cover skills, but his finesse approach is a turnoff to many NFL scouts. Conversely, Lee has the size, speed and toughness teams look for in a future starter, but he is still a bit raw due to inexperience.

Rodgers-Cromartie and Smith have versatility due to their experience at both cornerback and safety in college. Cason and Jackson also are bigger corners but are not blessed with the same man-to-man cover skills as Rodgers-Cromartie and Smith, which is why Cason and Jackson will be best suited to play in a Cover 2-heavy scheme in the NFL.

The depth of this class is certain to spill over to the second day. Charles Godfrey, Justin King and Orlando Scandrick all need polishing, but could be worth the risk thanks to outstanding size-speed combinations. Jack Williams, Trae Williams, Terrence Wheatley and Justin Tryon are all undersized but show the quickness and speed to contribute as sub-package corners in the slot. On the flip side, Terrell Thomas, Dejuan Tribble and Dwight Lowery lack ideal turn-and-run skills, but are instinctive enough to see the field if protected in zone-heavy schemes at the next level.

Finally, Zack Bowman and Jack Ikegwuonu were at one time considered upper-echelon talents, but knee injuries have set both prospects back considerably. Bowman was not the same when he finally got back on the field as a senior while Ikegwuonu sustained a serious injury during workouts in January and will miss at least the entire 2008 season. Both players will look to reward the teams that take a chance on them in the later rounds.

Unfortunately, for the many teams in need of safety help, this year's draft supply will not meet the demand. The past three drafts have seen an average of 5.3 safeties selected in the first two rounds, but this year's crop will provide two at the most.

Kenny Phillips and DeJuan Morgan both could have benefited from another year in school, but you can hardly blame them for bolting early to exploit the situation. Phillips is the more naturally gifted of the two, but he's coming off a disappointing junior season in which he made several mental mistakes. Morgan has less range in coverage, but he's a bigger hitter with better leadership skills and special teams production, and in all reality neither is an elite prospect.

There's a drop-off in talent after Phillips and Morgan, but some good values will be there on Day 2. Thomas DeCoud, Marcus Griffin, Tyrell Johnson, DJ Wolfe, Simeon Castille, Jonathan Hefney, DJ Parker and Quintin Demps make up a group of smaller free safety types with some versatility in coverage but limitations in run support.

There is also a handful of Day 2 strong safety types who lack ideal range in coverage but are capable of covering kicks and contributing in certain jumbo packages. They include Tom Zbikowski, Jamie Silva, Craig Steltz, Jamar Adams and Joshua Barrett.

Top 30 Senior Defensive Back Prospects in 2008 NFL Draft
Player School Position Height Weight Speed
1. Mike Jenkins South Florida CB 6-0 200 4.49
2. Leodis McKelvin Troy CB 5-10 5/8 190 4.44
3. Aqib Talib Kansas CB 6-1 1/2 201 4.50
4. Brandon Flowers Virginia Tech CB 5-10 1/8 192 4.45
5. Kenny Phillips Miami S 6-1 3/4 302 4.45
6. Dominique Rogers-Cromartie Tennessee State CB 6-1 3/8 183 4.44
7. Reggie Smith Oklahoma CB 6-1 1/4 196 4.45
8. Tracy Porter Indiana CB 5-10 5/8 184 4.40
9. Patrick Lee Auburn CB 5-11 7/8 194 4.43
10. Dejuan Morgan N.C. State S 6-1 1/4 203 4.51
11. Antoine Cason Arizona CB 6-0 190 4.55
12. Chevis Jackson LSU CB 5-11 1/2 188 4.55
13. Charles Godfrey Iowa CB 5-11 3/4 207 5.30
14. Thomas DeCoud California S 6-1 1/2 196 4.56
15. Justin King Penn State CB 6-1 1/8 190 4.40
16. Jack Williams Kent State CB 5-8 5/8 181 4.29
17. Marcus Griffin Texas S 5-10 1/8 198 4.60
18. Terrell Thomas USC CB 6-0 3/8 197 4.47
19. Tyrell Johnson Arkansas State S 5-11 1/2 200 4.56
20. Trae Williams South Florida CB 5-9 1/4 193 4.45
21. D.J. Wolfe Oklahoma S 5-10 3/4 200 4.46
22. Tom Zbikowski Notre Dame S 5-11 1/8 209 4.55
23. Simeon Castille Alabama S 5-11 7/8 190 4.61
24. Tyvon Branch Connecticut CB 5-11 1/4 197 4.47
25. Jamie Silva Boston College S 5-11 205 4.60
26. Craig Steltz LSU S 6-1 210 4.61
27. DeJuan Tribble Boston College CB 5-8 1/2 190 4.50
28. Jonathan Hefney Tennessee S 5-8 1/4 192 4.45
29. Terrence Wheatley Colorado CB 5-9 3/8 187 4.41
30. Jamar Adams Michigan S 6-2 1/4 209 4.50

falco
02-21-2008, 05:39 PM
McKelvin will be a franchise CB... gotta do what it takes to get him.

RashanGary
02-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Terrell Thomas
CB | (6'1", 200, 4.47) | USC

Scouts Grade: 64

Flags: (D: DURABILITY)

Strengths: Is tall, well-built with very good top-end speed. Can be very effective in man and zone coverage. At his bet when playing press-man. Is physical and aggressive, using long arms and strong upper body to take receivers out of their routes at the line. He is instinctive in coverage and knows when to turn and look for the ball. Displays good ball skills and is a natural playmaker. In zone, he does a good job of keeping everything in front of him and reading the QB's eyes. Gives a good effort and is very productive in run support. Fills hard, takes solid angles and is a reliable open-field tackler. Versatility gives him extra value; has experience playing safety and covering kicks. Great intangibles. Coaches and teammates speak very highly of his leadership skills and work ethic.

Weaknesses: Multiple injuries (dislocated right shoulder in 2003 and left shoulder in spring of 2007, as well as torn ligaments in right knee in 2005) generate considerable long-term durability worries. He's instinctive but he also tends to freelance at times and can get in trouble by being out of position. He's quick and fast for his size but he does lack elite fluidity in his hips and will have some trouble keeping with smaller, quicker WR's on double moves in the NFL.

Overall: Thomas arrived at USC in 2003 as a safety but was redshirted after suffering a shoulder injury during fall practice which required surgery. During his first three seasons (2004-'06) he played in 26 contests posting 64 total tackles, three tackles for loss, four interceptions, and 15 pass breakups. In 2005, Thomas sustained a season-ending knee injury in the second game which required surgery. Additionally, he had another shoulder surgery before spring practice in 2007. Thomas is the complete package physically. He is a big, fast shutdown cover corner at his best when working on an island one-on-one. Thomas has some extra value because of his experience at safety and covering kicks. However, his laundry list of injuries will undoubtedly cause him to slip in next year's draft. Thomas must prove capable of staying healthy for a second-consecutive season as a senior in 2007 in order to maximize his draft stock.

RashanGary
02-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Terrell Thomas looks like a guy who could be flying under the radar because of injury. He's big, has good ball skills (Thompson says ball skills are the first thing he looks for in a CB) plays his best in man coverge and is a high character guy who loves football. . .

He seems like a Ted Thompson pick, he fits our scheme and there is a good chance he slides.

You read his scouting report and he sounds like one of the first or second rounders (except for the injury thing). His knee has to check out of course, but this guy seems to be dropping fast (that's code for TT's likely to draft him) :) :)

RashanGary
02-21-2008, 10:02 PM
It looks like he had a healthy 2007 with 4 INT's as well.

packrulz
02-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Terrell Thomas looks like a guy who could be flying under the radar because of injury. He's big, has good ball skills (Thompson says ball skills are the first thing he looks for in a CB) plays his best in man coverge and is a high character guy who loves football. . .

He seems like a Ted Thompson pick, he fits our scheme and there is a good chance he slides.

You read his scouting report and he sounds like one of the first or second rounders (except for the injury thing). His knee has to check out of course, but this guy seems to be dropping fast (that's code for TT's likely to draft him) :) :)

Thanks for the info. Maybe TT could draft Thomas in the 2nd round? I wonder if TE John Carlson, Notre Dame will still be there when TT picks, and will he consider him BPA, I doubt it, and you need to draft CB's every year anyway. Ikegwuonu might be a steal on the 2nd day.

RashanGary
02-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Thomas looks like he could be a 3rd 4th or 5th rounder. Scouts inc has him 18th on their list.

The Leaper
02-22-2008, 07:55 AM
I wouldn't mind drafting 2 CBs in this years draft...the depth at that position is very good this year. I haven't seen enough from the guys behind Woodson and Harris at this point to have confidence. I think some healthy competition behind our starters would be a good thing.

vince
02-22-2008, 08:44 AM
I wouldn't mind drafting 2 CBs in this years draft...the depth at that position is very good this year. I haven't seen enough from the guys behind Woodson and Harris at this point to have confidence. I think some healthy competition behind our starters would be a good thing.
Wholeheartedly agree. I think Blackmon would be rated somewhere near the top of the CB's this year in terms of size, speed and ability, if he were coming out this year, but his health is obviously a question mark. Williams doesn't have enough strength to be an every-down bump and run CB. He will be a solid nickel back though, IMO to run with inside flankers and motion receivers. Bush just hasn't demonstrated enough consistency and has at times been abused.

That leaves ample opportunity for both future starting CB positions to be won by people not currently on the roster.

run pMc
02-22-2008, 09:56 AM
I'd rather see TT draft 2 CB's than a CB and S. I think with Rouse, Collins, Bigby, Culver, Peprah, and anyone else TT brings in, there's decent competition for 2 spots. I could also see Woodson slide over to play S eventually, although I'm not sure if his body would hold up.

I'm having trouble seeing a starter from Bush, Williams and Blackmon (Walker is a FA and won't be back)...maybe they need more "development". I think Bush getting burned as much as he was will make or break him.

RashanGary
02-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Going into the season, I thought Bush had a chance to step up. Blackmon has never been healthy enough to show anything so who that's a complete crap shoot.

At the end of the season, I thought Tramon Williams held up best in coverage. He regularly broke up passes and didn't seem to get beat any more than Harris or Woodson.

I think we'll end up keeping two of our current young three (Blackmon, Williams, Bush). I'd guess Blackmon and Williams are the two.

After that, I think we'll have one or two more developmental guys. Hopefully it's a higher draft pick, but if not, later picks and scrap heap guys pan out all of the time, so it would be a good think to continue to keep the rotating door turning and trying out as many as we can until something sticks.

Harris/Blackmon/Developmental
Woodson/Williams/Developmental

Without Harris and Woodson we are in trouble right now. For our sake, something has to materialize sooner than later.

woodbuck27
02-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Good stuff JH. Lots of work fr. you Packer fan :D

Fritz
02-23-2008, 07:41 AM

Dude, if you know who he is, he's not flying under any radar.

Bretsky
02-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Great stuff JH; Thanks for posting this info.