PDA

View Full Version : New Pats Taping Claims

Kiwon
02-22-2008, 05:53 AM
Anonymous player claims that videotaping began with Belichick's first preseason game as coach in 2000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/22/sports/football/22patriots.html?ex=1204261200&en=7b8ddff987863917&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

(Caveat: It’s a New York Times piece quoting an anonymous source so its probably crap)

vince
02-22-2008, 06:30 AM
It's not hard to understand why the former player would want to maintain anonymity. Pure speculation... it could very well be Drew Bledsoe though. He was benched that season and would have direct knowledge of it. Also, I think it could be more than a coincidence that his picture is prominently positioned at the top of the article. It's hard to understand why they would pick that particular image otherwise...

This article corroborates and is very consistent with other reports. I'd say at this point, it's harder to believe it's crap than it is to believe it's true. I happen to agree with Martz here.

In the hallway at the convention center here, Mike Martz wanted to talk about his new job as San Francisco’s offensive coordinator. Instead, reporters peppered him with questions about the Patriots. Martz was the coach of the Rams when the teams met in the Super Bowl six years ago.

He took exception to the theory that the Patriots could not have gleaned much information from taping the walkthrough. He said indeed they could, but added that was not the point.

“For somebody to say that, it’s kind of disgusting,” Martz said. “The whole point is if they really cheated. To say he took some steroids and it did help or it didn’t help, that’s never the point. The point is, to all these high school coaches and high school kids and college kids, that if they did cheat, that’s the point.”

RashanGary
02-22-2008, 07:52 AM
(Caveat: It’s a New York Times piece quoting an anonymous source so its probably crap)

NY Times is one of the most reputable magizines in our country for reliability. They may have a liberal spin politically, but they're not a bad organization (despite their poor taste and selection in the McCain story).

With the advent of the internet; magazines and TV are losing their luster. Radio is still going strong because they were always attracting people at work or in the car. Not much the internet can do about that. Maybe their sinking sales caused them to reach a bit with the McCain story, but to make a blanket statement that you can't trust the NY Times is rediculous.

RashanGary
02-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Wow, Goodell is a dumb ass. You had that impression, Roger. Don't you think that would have been a good question to ask :roll:

In a news conference last week, Goodell said Belichick’s explanation led to the assumption that he had been videotaping opponents’ signals “as long as he has been head coach.”

Lovie Smith had a nice quote

A similar sentiment was voiced by Chicago Bears Coach Lovie Smith, the Rams’ defensive coordinator that season.

“It’s just hard for me to fathom anyone would do anything like that,” Smith said. “I’m sure, if there’s something to it, No. 1, it will come out later. Time has a way of taking care of all things.”

You can see the NFL is in full cover up mode. They've all been briefed to not say a contraversal word.

RashanGary
02-22-2008, 08:07 AM
I still think it's rediculous that Goodell got about 10% into what happened and jsut stopped, passed out a fine and took away one draft pick. Then for a while, teams were pissed but then all of a sudden everyone jumped on board saying it didn't matter. I remember McCarthy and Favres first reaction was that it would help a lot. Now nobody will say a word.

The Leaper
02-22-2008, 08:08 AM
NY Times is one of the most reputable magizines in our country for reliability.

A. It is not a magazine.

B. Where have you been? The Times has had quite a few controversies in recent years. It remains a very popular newspaper, but I would hardly claim it stands high on the "reliability" list...especially when it leans so heavily toward one side of the political spectrum. That is like saying that Rush Limbaugh, who leans equally heavy the opposite way, is also "reliable".

Reliable to me is keeping both sides on their toes...which is what a news organization SHOULD do.

The Leaper
02-22-2008, 08:10 AM
I still think it's rediculous that Goodell got about 10% into what happened and jsut stopped, passed out a fine and took away one draft pick.

Goodell is the owner's puppet. I'm not sure anyone in the NFL wanted that issue blowing up midseason. That is why Goodell clearly said that he reserved the right to further punish the Patriots if more things came out. I think they knew there was more to this, but felt it was in the best interest of the league to not have it happen in the middle of a season.

RashanGary
02-22-2008, 08:11 AM
I'm an idiot :oops:

Kiwon
02-22-2008, 10:36 AM

No, you're not (but you can't spell ridiculous :) )

The story on Belichick is significant (if true) because it helps to establish that this taping practice has been a part of his strategy from the very beginning. He must really believe that it gives his team an advantage.

[BTW, I used to respect the NYT despite its obvious bias. But after the Jayson Blair scandal, the leaking of the foreign eavesdropping program and categorizing it as "domestic spying," the leaking of foreign-based detention centers, the "General Betray Us" ad discounts, and then to endorse McCain while at the same time preparing to do a hatchet job on him based solely on innuendo makes it impossible to continue to respect it as a credible source.

Editor Bill Keller left his first wife to marry his pregnant mistress and then he tries to soil McCain's character with a front page story because an anonymous source says that he was too close to a female lobbyist?

As Bill Clinton's former lawyer and life-long Democrat Robert Bennett said about the NYT's decision to feature an article with such shoddy journalism, "Just shameless." It's insulting to the public and beneath everyone's dignity.

Sorry for the rant. Peace.]

packinpatland
02-22-2008, 11:30 AM
The New York Times "all the news that fit to print"..................right. :roll:

woodbuck27
02-22-2008, 02:02 PM

No, you're not (but you can't spell ridiculous :) )

The story on Belichick is significant (if true) because it helps to establish that this taping practice has been a part of his strategy from the very beginning. He must really believe that it gives his team an advantage.

Nice post.

Strange too that the NYT's sat on this story (TRUTH or NOT?) for just the wrong for McCain and the Republican's time. Based on that. the NYT's loses credibility in my view.

As a Canadian that watch's it all most days (your news thyat is so uimportant to us) I can assure y'all that Canada has a real focus on the selection of opponents for your next Presidential Election.

Some of us are very aware that the final cadidates must have a sound,new and improved [b]economic policy that has a focus on, the real state, of the domestic and world banks.

Does anyone believe that Citibank was the only one in trouble? The Bank of canada is at this time revealing to us that interest rates (the Prime rate) will drop soon.

A recognition that Free Trade needs to become Fair Trade on a fixed monetary basis not a floating dollar.

A shake of hands and solving of differences between nations such as the US of A and China,Russia and India, and whichever country wants to get on that wagon.

An emphasis on low interest rates for long terms of time (a generation or two) A rebuilding of the country,s infrastructure to serve new cities.

To solve the environmentle issue more Nuclear Fissin Power plants and tghe use of fusionable material to cut way back on the ned of hydrocarbons.

The development of arid land to promote food production and an improved environment as well.

Anything else that is based on REAL TRUTHS and takes the power from the greedy and leaves so little for the lower 80 % percentile.

If not we're all in for a whole pile of pain.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 02:13 PM
NY Times reputable??????????You have got to be kidding :oops: :oops:

cpk1994
02-22-2008, 02:23 PM

NY Times is one of the most reputable magizines in our country for reliability. They may have a liberal spin politically, but they're not a bad organization (despite their poor taste and selection in the McCain story).

With the advent of the internet; magazines and TV are losing their luster. Radio is still going strong because they were always attracting people at work or in the car. Not much the internet can do about that. Maybe their sinking sales caused them to reach a bit with the McCain story, but to make a blanket statement that you can't trust the NY Times is rediculous.
Reputable? What decade are you living in the 60's? Not a bad orginization? This is a paper that ran made up stories, kept Abu Gharib on the front page long after every other news outlet stopped because it was no longer news, and had a major shakeup in personnel becuase od shoddy reporting. Only the far left would say what you just said. This is a copmpletly despicable outfit. You can't trust them at all.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 02:55 PM
John McCain :oops:

RashanGary
02-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I would just like to take this moment to remind everyone about what happens when you take what you heard on the radio, piece together the rest with whatever you think instead of acctually researching and then posting it like you are some sort of knowledgable expert with spelling errors to boot.

I am completely caught with my hand in the dip shit jar.

Now look at this emoticon :idea: . . . . right here <FLASH>

You will forget everything you saw in this thread.

Kiwon
02-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Don't sweat it, JH.

The thread is about the Pats and their cameras.

So is Bill Belichick this great motivational genius who misunderstood the NFL ban on cameras or is he this extreme obsessive personality that will go to any lengths, including cheating, to win?

packinpatland
02-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Don't sweat it, JH.

The thread is about the Pats and their cameras.

So is Bill Belichick this great motivational genius who misunderstood the NFL ban on cameras or is he this extreme obsessive personality that will go to any lengths, including cheating, to win?

I think the latter pretty much sums it up.