PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated : Aaron Rodgers sharp in minicamps

motife
05-25-2006, 05:22 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/05/25/bc.fbn.packers.readyrod.ap/
Rodgers shines in minicamp
Packers quarterback has chance with Favre absent
Posted: Thursday May 25, 2006 4:47PM; Updated: Thursday May 25, 2006 4:47PM
GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Aaron Rodgers didn't look like a guy preparing for another year of clipboard duty during the Green Bay Packers' most recent minicamp.

Rodgers took the majority of snaps with the first team in Brett Favre's absence, talking about his "sky-high" confidence and an intimate knowledge of the new playbook that allows him to serve as a "coach on the field."

Rodgers probably won't see much of the field again this year after Favre ended months of speculation by pledging to return for at least one more season.

But Favre was excused from last weekend's practices, allowing last year's first-round pick to show off the results of his hard work in the offseason.

Rodgers' practice habits earned praise from new Packers coach Mike McCarthy, who has emphasized offseason workouts and preparation in his first few months on the job.

"Obviously the hours he's logged in to the offseason are tremendous," McCarthy said. "You see a comfortable quarterback. You don't see a guy that's searching, going through his reads. He's putting the ball in the right place and he's throwing the ball in rhythm, too."

Favre's return will continue to be on a part-time basis through the Packers' organized team activity workouts next month, giving Rodgers even more chances to work with the starters and prove he was worth the 24th overall pick in last year's draft.

"I've kind of been 'the guy' all spring, so that's not really a different role," Rodgers said. "(It's) just an opportunity to exert leadership and work on things to get better, start getting those guys to follow my lead."

Favre's indecision on his football future forced Rodgers to prepare as if he was going to be the starting quarterback. So it shouldn't have been surprising to see Rodgers taking command at times during minicamp, telling his receivers where they were supposed to be during the initial installations of McCarthy's new offense.

"I feel like I've got (the plays) down really well," Rodgers said. "I'm a coach on the field like I need to be, like we prepared this offseason to be."

A confidence boost? Not really, he said.

"I don't need a confidence boost," Rodgers said. "I'm sky-high confidence-wise."

Many of Rodgers' teammates call him by a nickname, "A-Rodg" _ a sign he's earned at least some level of acceptance in the locker room.

But Rodgers still hasn't gotten much of a chance to prove himself in games, so he's still something of an unknown to his teammates.

"Personally, I've always had confidence in A-Rodg," said running back Ahman Green. "It's just, I know that without seeing him in live action, you don't know what a guy can really do."

Rodgers' only significant playing time as a rookie came in the second half of the Packers' lopsided loss in Baltimore Dec. 19. He didn't do much to distinguish himself that night -- but neither did most of his teammates.

"You know what his talent level is coming from college, but to see where he fits in in an NFL game is where you exactly see what a true competitiveness, the true athleticism comes out of a guy like A-Rodg," Green said. "And I believe it's there. He has a strong arm. He has the mental capacity to handle our playbook."

The upcoming workouts will give Rodgers a chance to work on timing and chemistry with his receivers.

"The biggest thing with him is, he has to trust us," Donald Driver said. "We trust him, he just has to get the trust with us. Once he gets to knowing where we're going to be at -- just as Brett has the communication with us -- then everything will work."

Rodgers and the offense got off to what McCarthy called a "sloppy" start last weekend but improved quickly. Rodgers said he wants to become more consistent.

"I think you see that with the guys that stick in this league for the longest time are the guys that are consistent day-in, day-out, practice-in, practice-out," Rodgers said. "That just comes with experience and learning the offense and I feel like I'm being more consistent."

McCarthy, who was the Packers' quarterbacks coach in 1999 before offensive coordinator stints in New Orleans and San Francisco, is taking a hands-on approach to coaching quarterbacks.

"I think he understands a little more what we go through day-to-day and our thought process," Rodgers said. "As much as he puts on the quarterback in our offense, we have a lot of interaction one-on-one -- what I'm thinking, what I'm seeing as far as making checks at the line of scrimmage and then pre-snap and post-snap drops and reads."

McCarthy said Favre will attend the Packers' organized team activity workouts "on and off" next month, giving Rodgers and the other quarterbacks -- second-year player Tom Arth and rookie Ingle Martin -- a chance to prove themselves. Green said he expects to see a lot of Rodgers with the first team, even in preseason games.

Rodgers will take all the experience he can get.

"There's a lot of areas I need to work on in order to reach my expectations, which are probably higher than anyone else out there," Rodgers said.

Joemailman
05-25-2006, 06:07 PM
GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Aaron Rodgers didn't look like a guy preparing for another year of clipboard duty during the Green Bay Packers' most recent minicamp.

Rodgers took the majority of snaps with the first team in Brett Favre's absence, talking about his "sky-high" confidence and an intimate knowledge of the new playbook that allows him to serve as a "coach on the field."

I am glad that Rodgers has apparently taken a big step forward. However, I would hope he can get to a point where he doesn't have to talk about his "sky-high" confidence. As a quarterback, that should be a given and should be apparent for all to see without talking about it.

Pack0514
05-25-2006, 07:46 PM
When I see Rodgers take a wicked sack and then get up and talk shit to whom ever sacked is ass and then on the next play throw 30 yard pass down field for a completion.... thats when people will know is not a pussy. He talks the talk.... but can he walk the walk. We will see.

When he does this, thats when I know we got a player.

Murphy37
05-25-2006, 08:13 PM
When I see Rodgers take a wicked sack and then get up and talk shit to whom ever sacked is ass and then on the next play throw 30 yard pass down field for a completion.... thats when people will know is not a pussy. He talks the talk.... but can he walk the walk. We will see.

When he does this, thats when I know we got a player.

I agree brother. I can't rip the article, because Rodgers is doing all the right things so far. SO he is hitting Par for the moment. Good Great Grand Wonderful. I'm happy that he's on track football wise, and not just out chaisin the muff around. His time to prove himself will be in a regular season game, when it's not garbage time. Then we'll get a sliver of what kind of player he can be. I say just a sliver because it takes more than one game, and even one season to show your true colors. Hell maybe he's a great reg. season guy, and chokes in the playoffs. Maybe he sucks in the reg. season and is clutch in the playoffs. Playoffs!......................... Playoffs! Maybe at night he dresses in womens underpants and sings showtunes in front of the mirror.

Mazzin
05-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Don't know if his being that cocky is a good thing or a bad thing...we will see.

Pack0514
05-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Like I said, if he can walk the walk, then lets throw down..... but you have to ask yourself this......

If you were going into battle tommorrow..... would you want him next to you?

Pack0514
05-25-2006, 08:21 PM
........If you answered Yes, then maybe we got somebody.

Murphy37
05-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Like I said, if he can walk the walk, then lets throw down..... but you have to ask yourself this......

No, I'd want the cast of "Predator" if I was going to be going into battle tommorrow. Remember the big crazy bad ass indian? That movie was based on a true story.

Pack0514
05-25-2006, 08:29 PM

No, I'd want the cast of "Predator" if I was going to be going into battle tommorrow. Remember the big crazy bad ass indian? That movie was based on a true story.

Murph - you're fuckin nutz.... no not Salty Nutz himself..... just a crazy mother fucker.

Mazzin
05-25-2006, 08:31 PM
All this language in this thread, and the No Joke, in the romper room. Mad and whoever else runs this, I'm really glad you don't censor us like JSO did.

Murphy37
05-25-2006, 08:32 PM
I"m a man, same as you! And never ask a Navy man how much he's had to drink because it's nobody's god damn business but his own!

Packers4Ever
05-25-2006, 08:34 PM

I am glad that Rodgers has apparently taken a big step forward. However, I would hope he can get to a point where he doesn't have to talk about his "sky-high" confidence. As a quarterback, that should be a given and should be apparent for all to see without talking about it.

I'm with you, route 25, let's see where his intimate knowledge of the

playbook gets him when he's out on that field in a real NFL shoot-em-up

situation. Nothing against A-Rod, I wish him well but some of his

commentary was quite premature, maybe that was to keep his confidence

up. :neutral:

Bossman641
05-25-2006, 08:55 PM

Haha. Predator, wow. That movie is the shit.

BlueBrewer
05-25-2006, 09:18 PM
Double Post

BlueBrewer
05-25-2006, 09:18 PM
I"m a man, same as you! And never ask a Navy man how much he's had to drink because it's nobody's god damn business but his own!

You are a Priest, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Iron Mike
05-25-2006, 09:25 PM
I"m a man, same as you! And never ask a Navy man how much he's had to drink because it's nobody's god damn business but his own!http://www.carlspackler.com/archive/cs_274_sm.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh, ratfarts!!!!!!!!

http://www.carlspackler.com/archive/cs_263.jpg

Murphy37
05-25-2006, 09:25 PM

There is no God!

I think he says "Bishop" not "Priest", but I could be wrong. Nice work though.

BlueBrewer
05-25-2006, 09:36 PM

There is no God!

You are right

I want a milkshake, I want a hamburger, no a cheeseburger, I want pizza..........

Murphy37
05-25-2006, 09:40 PM

There is no God!

You are right

I want a milkshake, I want a hamburger, no a cheeseburger, I want pizza..........

That's it, I'm starting a Caddyshack thread in the RomperRoom.

BlueBrewer
05-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Sorry for hijacking for a while motife

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2006, 10:48 PM
I ain't got time to bleed.

Chubbyhubby
05-25-2006, 11:08 PM
Do you think Favre will sit a game out due to the fact the Packers want to see how Aaron Rodgers performs when he gets the starting nod? While snaping Favre's streak of consectutive starts?

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2006, 11:15 PM
No. If they fall out of the race, he'll still have records to break. You can bet the Packers and the NFL will love that type of publicity--even if the Packers fall out of the race. I really don't think letting him sit one more year will stunt his growth that much.

chain_gang
05-25-2006, 11:20 PM
If the packers fall out of the race, I do not to see rodgers take a snap. If they are doing that poorly what good is it going to do to have a young QB getting beat up, and possibly losing confidence from his teammates and getting down on himself in the process, I don't think that be in his best interest.

Guiness
05-25-2006, 11:24 PM
I"m a man,

I'm a maaaan, yes I aaaam, and I can't help but love you so...

Sorry - just popped into my head when I read that.

Tarlam!
05-26-2006, 03:34 AM
No. If they fall out of the race, he'll still have records to break. You can bet the Packers and the NFL will love that type of publicity--even if the Packers fall out of the race. I really don't think letting him sit one more year will stunt his growth that much.

This is the only downside of Brett coming back on a season by season basis, IMHO. See, I think with another draft class like we just had and some of the younger guys developing, we can make a serious run next season, provided Brett were still our QB.

If Brett were to say, barring injury, this is his second last season, I would say A-Rodg should continue to sit until after our SB victory. But if Brett's plan is to retire after this year, I'd prefer to have A-Rodg taking some quaility snaps THIS SEASON.

I understand the records, but, I also understand there will be a Green Bay Packers team lining up in the Fall after Brett retires. I would like that team to be successful.

MJZiggy
05-26-2006, 07:06 AM

Brett can still keep his starting streak going, they just toss Rodgers in for some second half action. That way, Brett pursues his records, keeps his start streak going and Rodgers gets some game time.

Tarlam!
05-26-2006, 07:18 AM
I think Brett would be seriously pissed if they only let him start to keep a streak going. He's prolly declare an injury or something.

I have no issue with starting Brett, playing him the full game. None. Except, if we are again out of it by game 10, and Brett has decided this is it, but doesn't communicate it to TT.

I know people are concerned about throwing in a rookie QB that might lose his confidence playing behind a shitty O-Line. To those I say, welcome to the NFL, A-Rodg.

BlueBrewer
05-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Brett will start every game this year, barring injury of course. I think M3 will be quicker to pull him in blowout situations that Sherman was, but will still let Brett be the man.

Tarlam!
05-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Brett will start every game this year, barring injury of course. I think M3 will be quicker to pull him in blowout situations that Sherman was, but will still let Brett be the man.

Which is fine by me and makes me eternally grateful. I just want him to by more post-Brett orientated in his communication style to TT and M3. He don't need to tell the press or the fans diddly squat.

It would just be in the best interests of the Packer Concern to know if he intends on playing next season if we look like we will miss the P.O.

Guiness
05-26-2006, 08:31 AM
New QB looks good in shorts. News at 11.