PDA

View Full Version : -EVEN MORE- NFL News

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-22-2008, 01:23 PM
www.rotoworld.com/nfl

Panthers released RB DeShaun Foster.

The Panthers shopped Foster in recent weeks, but his $4.75 million salary made a trade impossible. The team still likes him, but he never developed into an every-down back. Foster personifies league average with a 3.9 career YPC. He'll catch on as a backup, and we wouldn't rule out a return to the Carolina. The Panthers will add backfield talent, but DeAngelo Williams has a good shot to be their primary back this year.

The Jets have given ILB Jonathan Vilma permission to shop himself for a potential trade.

Vilma is coming off knee surgery, but was a Pro Bowl alternate his second season, and just doesn't fit well into Eric Mangini's 3-4 defense. He'll seek a long-term deal with a team that would then have to work out a trade with the Jets. Reuniting with former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson in Jacksonville is a possibility. There has also been talk in St. Louis of the Rams sending the No. 2 overall pick to the Jets for the No. 6 pick and Vilma, though that seems unlikely.

The Bucs and Broncos are in trade discussions involving Javon Walker, according to the St. Petersburg Times.

The sides have done business in the past, but it'd be a surprise if a deal actually happens. Walker is almost certain to be cut before his $5.4 million option bonus comes due March 4. If healthy, he'd be an excellent fit in Jon Gruden's West Coast attack, but his balky knee makes Walker a huge risk.

The Giants are reportedly prepared to send the No. 31 overall pick in the draft to the Falcons in exchange for CB DeAngelo Hall.

The Giants were reportedly hoping to woo Nnamdi Asomugha or Marcus Trufant, but both were franchised. GM Jerry Reese views Asante Samuel as a product of the Patriots' system. The rebuilding Falcons could probably ask the Giants to add a later-round pick to the deal and get it. Despite the Super Bowl win, Reese smartly recognizes the Giants' CB situation as a need area.

Seahawks re-signed RT Sean Locklear to a five-year, $32 million contract. The deal includes $12 million in guarantees.

Locklear, 27 in May, didn't have his best season in 2007, but didn't miss a start and Seattle is right to lock him up now. He would've commanded guarantees in the $15 million range had he hit the market. The Seahawks still have to find an eventual successor for 34-year-old LT Walter Jones.

Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole reports the NFL is investigating the 49ers for tampering with free agent to be Lance Briggs.

The Bears filed the charge against San Francisco. Chicago claims that the 49ers engaged in contract discussions with Briggs during last season after a trade fell through at the October deadline. If the Niners are found guilty, they could face a fine and/or lose a draft choice. Tampering quietly goes on every year, but new commish Roger Goodell could begin the crackdown now.

LL2
02-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Has anyone seen one of those articles where it list the FA's and the teams that are most interested and likely to sign that particular FA? I've been looking around but have not seen anything.

woodbuck27
02-22-2008, 02:11 PM
WOW!

Interesting news. Especially the bit on J. Vilma. He was huge stock for the Jets two seasons ago.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Doesn't fit in a 3/4 scheme. I love Vilma, I'd trade any of our LB's straight up for him.

HarveyWallbangers
02-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Doesn't fit in a 3/4 scheme. I love Vilma, I'd trade any of our LB's straight up for him.

Shocking.

woodbuck27
02-22-2008, 02:24 PM

I havn't checked on his health of late but J. Vilma was a killer, an outstanding linebacker. He certainly replaces Poppinga in my view.

That would excite me.

GoPackGo
02-22-2008, 02:27 PM

I havn't checked on his health of late but J. Vilma was a killer, an outstanding linebacker. He certainly replaces Poppinga in my view.

That would excite me.

I don't think Vilma and Poppinga play the same position>?
I thought Vilma was a MLB

The Leaper
02-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Barnett and Hawk are both far more productive than Vilma...and Vilma couldn't possibly fill Poppinga's role as a run enforcer. Vilma has mostly disappeared the last two years...accounting for ZERO sacks and THREE turnovers (2 INTS, 1 FF) in that time.

It figures that Bulldog would love him...guys who load up on cheap tackles 5 yards downfield to pad their stats are right in his wheelhouse.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Vilma may be better than 56, nobody is better than Hawk, sorry.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Leaper, where are you from :oops:

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Who else do I like that loads up on tackles 5 yards downfield?

Lurker64
02-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Who else do I like that loads up on tackles 5 yards downfield?

Ernie Sims and DeMeco Ryans?

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 02:59 PM
2 years in a 4/3 scheme=281 tackles
2 years in a 3/4 scheme=151 tackles

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Just waiting for that, funny thing is both of those players got votes to be allpro :oops: Didn't see the great one get a single vote.
Ryans started for the AFC in the probowl also.
Cromartie and mario also got votes for the allpro team, I think all of these players were from the same draft where many said Hawk is the best Dplayer in the draft :oops: :oops:

This isn't even fun anymore cause your CLEARLY WRONG!!!!

The Leaper
02-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Leaper, where are you from

For the 100th time...

I'm a Wisconsin transplant in Columbus. I could give a rat's ass about Ohio State.

The Leaper
02-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Just waiting for that, funny thing is both of those players got votes to be allpro :oops:

So what's your point? That Pro Bowl voting is the end-all of determining who is good?

The Pro Bowl is a hideous joke in terms of recognizing who really are the best players in the NFL. The fact that Charles Woodson was not at the Pro Bowl is proof enough that you need to dump your corny "he got Pro Bowl votes" schtick.

Zool
02-22-2008, 03:16 PM
The fact that Charles Woodson was not at the Pro Bowl is proof enough that you need to dump your corny "he got Pro Bowl votes" schtick.

You would think so, but stats to support arguments are easy to come by for every side.

Lurker64
02-22-2008, 03:19 PM
The Pro Bowl is a hideous joke in terms of recognizing who really are the best players in the NFL.

100% agreed. Players get into the probowl based on a combination of reputation, media hype, and statistics. "Actual on the field performance" is nowhere to be found in most pro-bowl voters evaluations. Realistically, the only people who watch every team close enough to have a good shot at honestly ranking who the best players are at each position are NFL scouts. The players and the coaches are too busy to watch all 31 other teams closely, and the fans don't watch all 32 teams extremely closely.

If there was a pro-bowl where the only elligible voters were NFL scouts and GMs, I would watch it though.

ND72
02-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Just waiting for that, funny thing is both of those players got votes to be allpro :oops: Didn't see the great one get a single vote.
Ryans started for the AFC in the probowl also.
Cromartie and mario also got votes for the allpro team, I think all of these players were from the same draft where many said Hawk is the best Dplayer in the draft :oops: :oops:

This isn't even fun anymore cause your CLEARLY WRONG!!!!

Wanna know what I care about? We were in the NFC Championship, how did the Lions, Jets, Texans do? You can argue all day about this, but if AJ Hawk or Barnett were on any of those losing teams, they'd both be putting up big time numbers, cause they all have HORRIBLE DEFENSES.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Allpro is very different than probowl. I said allpro, not probowl!

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Actually one could also say that if they wee on a bad team, they would be game planned for much more than what they are now and could possibly make less but in hawk's case that might be hard to do. :lol:

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 04:21 PM
The media people who follow football do the allpro voting, fans vote for the players who go to hawaii, not the allpro team. Ryans started in the probowl but also recieved allpro votes.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Mario Williams, 8 votes
Ernie Sims, 1 vote
DeMaco Ryans, 19 votes
Antonio Cromartie, 20 votes

All of these players were drafted in the same class as Hawk.

HarveyWallbangers
02-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Without question, I'd take Hawk over Sims. Hard to compare Ryans and Hawk. Hawk plays WLB on a team that doesn't blitz much. You aren't going to get stats and glory covering TEs all days. Stats show Hawk is damn good at what they ask him to do. Much to your apparent dismay, Hawk is pretty damn good.

At least, Thompson didn't blow a pick on somebody as crappy as Vince Young. I guess I was spot on about Young. I think it was you who accused me of being racist because I had doubts about Young's shotput like throwing motion. Guess you were wrong there also.

Charles Woodson
02-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Ernie Sims, 1 vote

[http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3155/erine1gqio7.th.jpg (http://img337.imageshack.us/my.php?image=erine1gqio7.jpg)

Tyrone Bigguns
02-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Ernie Sims, 1 vote

[http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3155/erine1gqio7.th.jpg (http://img337.imageshack.us/my.php?image=erine1gqio7.jpg)

Dang...he almost looks as good as me!!!

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Young will be fine imo, he had one good year and one bad year but the jury is still out on him. he played very poorly this past season but I think he'll be better but I definitely could be wrong. Without question, I already knew what you'd do so I guess I'd post some stuff about the players that Hawk was drafted with. I guess without question, Hawk was the one that didn't get a vote.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Tyrone, you must really look good :lol:

Charles Woodson
02-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Mario Williams, 8 votes
Ernie Sims, 1 vote
DeMaco Ryans, 19 votes
Antonio Cromartie, 20 votes

All of these players were drafted in the same class as Hawk.

Williams didn't do anything last year

Imo hawk had a better year than sims.

Im not buying a whole lot into ryans, because most mlb have alot of tackles.

Cromartie was a huge risk that the chargers are reaping the benefits.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 05:55 PM
mario didn't do anything last season?
Sims had a better year than Hawk.
Ryans was the Drookie of the year and is thought of as one of the best MLB's in the game already.
Cromartie is a stud at corner and his play on the field clearly shows that.
Hawk is solid and excels in space but lacks near the line of scrimmage.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 05:56 PM
14 sacks, 43 tackles and 2 forced fumbles is not doing anything?

HarveyWallbangers
02-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Young will be fine imo, he had one good year and one bad year but the jury is still out on him. he played very poorly this past season but I think he'll be better but I definitely could be wrong. Without question, I already knew what you'd do so I guess I'd post some stuff about the players that Hawk was drafted with. I guess without question, Hawk was the one that didn't get a vote.

Somebody posts something about Vilma, and you rip Hawk. It gets rather pathetic. Hawk and Favre. I'd point out that Hawk was a Pro Bowl alternate and Vilma was not (so he must be better), but those things are pretty meaningless. The All-Pro vote has more weight than the Pro Bowl, but it's still a bunch of guys voting that haven't seen every guy they are voting on in every game. Generally, the people that know the most about a team are its fans. The people that actually watch every play of every game. Packer fans (those who are fans of Michigan) generally think highly of Hawk. I'll take their opinions over some biased Wolverine fan with regards to A.J. Hawk or Tom Brady vs. Brett Favre.

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=10189&highlight=hawk+poll

Tyrone Bigguns
02-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Tyrone, you must really look good :lol:

I do...but, your not my type. If i'm going to play for the other side..i go with champions. THE Ohio State..not also rans like UM.

Charles Woodson
02-22-2008, 06:03 PM
mario didn't do anything last season?
Sims had a better year than Hawk.
Ryans was the Drookie of the year and is thought of as one of the best MLB's in the game already.
Cromartie is a stud at corner and his play on the field clearly shows that.
Hawk is solid and excels in space but lacks near the line of scrimmage.

Williams only had 5 sacks last year, while still playing every game, i will admit he played tremendously well last year.

sorry i didnt clarify, last year i believe hawk did better than sims, hawk didnt progress as well as i hoped this year.

Ryan looking back, ryan did have a very good year last year. although just curious what makes him better than barnett seeming as how barnett had better stats in almost all categories?

i never said cromartie wasnt, i was saying that at the time he was drafted he had a big red flag because of injuries, being an fsu fan i thought he should have come back, but he made the right choice and so did the chargers.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 06:04 PM
I'll take the opinion of a writer like McGinn over yours any day buddy and I'll also take the opinion of many coaches and excoaches over yours any day.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Charles, Mario Williams had 14 sacks :oops:

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 06:08 PM
I think Hawk is maybe the fourth best LB in his draft class and if you want to pull this UM, O St crap go right ahead because almost all of the time I like the Bucks coming out of college much more than the Wolverines. I do think that Crable and Harris for that point will both be better than Hawk will ever be.

Charles Woodson
02-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Charles, Mario Williams had 14 sacks :oops:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=9587

its really cool when you read my whole post... damn buddy

just in case your not sure how to interpret stats, go to the link look under
2006 and follow it to sacks,

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Harv, packers fans aren't biased??? You prove that theory wrong yourself.

HarveyWallbangers
Without question, I already knew what you'd do

Good for you. Same to you. Did somebody take the caps lock off your keyboard? I don't say anything about Tom Brady--unless you are on your rip Favre mode. I couldn't care less about Vince Young (I'm not ready to write him off). I've given Mario credit for turning things around, and I'd take him over anyone in that draft. I've probably made two posts about Spygate. I don't think I even ripped your favorite college team when they lost to Appalachian State. You, on the other hand, rip Hawk every chance you get. It does seem pretty damn pathetic.

Why don't you give us a list all of the LBs that you think are better than Hawk. Actually, why don't you list the handful of LBs that you think are worse than Hawk.

Lurker64
I really think it's impossible to judge the relative quality of players who play in different defenses. Hawk plays in a defense where he's asked to funnel things to the MLB and cover the TE, and he does both well. But playing in such a defense is not going to allow him to make a lot of plays or really be a high impact player on most downs.

I really think you're comparing apples to oranges here bulldog. The Bates defense doesn't really ask much of Hawk or allow him to do much, so you don't see that much of him. He's quiet, but productive in what he's asked to do.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Charles, read your post, you said he had 5 sacks last year. he actually had 5 sacks two years ago.

HarveyWallbangers
02-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Harv, packers fans aren't biased??? You prove that theory wrong yourself.

I'd think you'd be the one that proves the theory, but I don't think most are like you.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 06:12 PM
You make me laugh! Your so full of bias when it comes to certain players, my head spins.

HarveyWallbangers
02-22-2008, 06:13 PM
I really think it's impossible to judge the relative quality of players who play in different defenses. Hawk plays in a defense where he's asked to funnel things to the MLB and cover the TE, and he does both well. But playing in such a defense is not going to allow him to make a lot of plays or really be a high impact player on most downs.

I really think you're comparing apples to oranges here bulldog. The Bates defense doesn't really ask much of Hawk or allow him to do much, so you don't see that much of him. He's quiet, but productive in what he's asked to do.

Bingo. Which is why bulldog feels the need to bring him up any time a LB or 2006 draft pick is mentioned?

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 06:13 PM
One more thing, I'll take the opinion of guys like Jimmy Johnson, John Madden, Marv levy ect over yours, sorry about that.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 06:14 PM
"he is the most NFL ready player on D in this draft", "he will be a perennial probowler"

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 06:16 PM
I saw him get his ass totally run over in the Giants game on that screen pass, he was in position to make a play to stop the Giants and he just got blown out of there. He is very good in coverage, I will say that.

HarveyWallbangers
02-22-2008, 06:18 PM
ESPN's Scouts Inc. on the 3 players. Why don't you admit they are close, and to say those two are better than Hawk is just an opinion. It's not universally held, so quit trying to claim that all the experts agree with you. This was done after their rookie years, so clearly these scouts don't agree that Sims and Ryans were better than Hawk in 2006. They had Hawk and Ryans rated equally, and Sims one point below them.

A.J. Hawk

Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 75

Comment: Hawk, the fifth overall pick in the 2006 draft, rewarded the Packers for their faith in him with an outstanding rookie season. He brings excellent football instincts and a nasty disposition to the field, flying around with great intensity. He has excellent recognition skills and does a great job of identifying, reading, diagnosing and reacting and then taking good angles to the football. He brings an explosive snap of the hips to make powerful tackles inside, and has the body control and quick burst to close and then break down and make plays in space. Hawk is an old-school linebacker who can take on isolation plays inside and also excels as a weakside playmaker with his sideline-to-sideline range. He shows impressive body control with both lateral explosiveness and the agility to change direction in space. As a blitzer, Hawk has a knack for finding his way to the football. He is solid in coverage with good range in zone and the ability and ball skills to matches up fairly well with most running backs and tight ends in man coverage. He must continue to improve in coverage, but overall Hawk is an outstanding linebacker with the ability and desire to develop into an elite NFL player.

Ernie Sims

Grade: 74

Comment: Sims has excellent speed, athleticism and toughness. He brings an uncanny maturity and tenacity to the field for such a young player. He plays with a high motor and a nasty attitude. He is instinctive and reads his keys quickly. He reacts with outstanding change-of-direction skills and an explosive closing burst. He breaks down fluidly, snaps his hips and delivers a powerful hit while wrapping up a ball carrier. He often jars the ball loose with his tackles. He is relentless in pursuit and is a true sideline-to-sideline playmaker. He is almost as impressive in pass coverage as he is against the run. He has the speed and agility to turn and run with backs and tight ends in man-to-man coverage or smoothly drop into zone coverage.

DeMeco Ryans

Grade: 75

Comment: Ryans was a rookie drafted in the second round, by Houston, out of Alabama in the 2006 draft. He became an instant starter and a stalwart in the middle of Houstons defense. He has adequate size for the middle LB position and plays the game faster than he measures. He has shown the ability to get to the outside with running backs and prevent them from turning the corner. He can step up into the hole and stymie the blocker and still slip the block to make the play in the hole. He is very quick to read blocking schemes and does a great job of taking angles to get to the ball. He makes quick decisions and shows no hesitation in his play. In pass coverage he gets good depth and gets a good jump on the ball. He has shown the ability to mirror running backs as well as TEs in their routes. On the rare occasion that he blitzes he shows ability to get skinny to get through the holes and pressure the QB. Ideally youd like a little bigger body to play the middle but he does play big enough and his instincts and quick decision making ability make up for his lack of size.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 06:27 PM
My point on an opinion being more universal is in regards to Brady/Favre not the LBs. I can agree that the LB's are close but my opinion when drafted was that we could have traded down and picked up another LB cause I felt Hawk was no better than the top three or four in the draft and my assumption was dead on. I was way off though when I stated that Bobby C would be better than Hawk. I think i WILL ALSO BE SHOWN CORRECTLY WHEN i STATED THAT Mario will be a very good, game changing DE and will be the best D player in that draft.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Harv, when was that report on the LB's written? Please post the date.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Ryans and Sims both as soph's had better years than their first year. Hawk did not .

Lurker64
02-22-2008, 06:31 PM
If I might ask a very important question:

WHY IS A THREAD ABOUT NFL NEWS DEVOLVING INTO A DEBATE ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT HAWK IS A DISAPPOINTMENT OR AN ALL STAR OR A PURPLE HIPPOPOTAMUS, CAN'T WE HAVE THAT DISCUSSION IN A DIFFERENT THREAD?

packers11
02-22-2008, 06:34 PM
If I might ask a very important question:

WHY IS A THREAD ABOUT NFL NEWS DEVOLVING INTO A DEBATE ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT HAWK IS A DISAPPOINTMENT OR AN ALL STAR OR A PURPLE HIPPOPOTAMUS, CAN'T WE HAVE THAT DISCUSSION IN A DIFFERENT THREAD?

Thank you... was just going to say the same thing... Bulldog take your hawk bashing into another thread... I wanted to read about NFL NEWS, not Bulldog's biased LB rants...

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Good point but I would like to see if that write up was after their rookie year or their soph years

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 06:35 PM
harv, please post the date

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 06:44 PM
I can't find this on Scouts Inc but I did find an article written in december stating that Sims is one of the top 5 rising stars in football.

Charles Woodson
02-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Charles, read your post, you said he had 5 sacks last year. he actually had 5 sacks two years ago.

apparently our consideration of last year is different, i know what i said its about you misinterpretation.

Charles Woodson
02-22-2008, 10:03 PM
I think i WILL ALSO BE SHOWN CORRECTLY WHEN i STATED THAT Mario will be a very good, game changing DE and will be the best D player in that draft.

alright do you want all of us to give you a pat on the back BECAUSE SOME how YOu predicted the number ONE pick was going to TURN OUT GOOD?

That has nothing to do with this because there was no way we could have gotten williams.

Charles Woodson
02-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Ryans and Sims both as soph's had better years than their first year. Hawk did not .

what are you basing this off?

HarveyWallbangers
02-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Harv, when was that report on the LB's written? Please post the date.

I stated in my post that these are from the 2007 offseason. They don't update the scouting reports until the middle of the offseason, so you won't find any new ones for awhile. These reports are still pertinent because you were saying the same things last offseason (that Ryans and Sims were better than Hawk).

You can go to any player on ESPN (NFL > Team > Roster > then the player) and hit the "Scouting" link on that player. You only see this if you have ESPN Insider though.

HarveyWallbangers
02-22-2008, 10:12 PM

what are you basing this off?

Haven't you heard. Sims got 1 All-Pro vote. He must be better. I'd like Bulldog to find out who the 1 vote was from. It was probably some writer for the Detroit Free Press.

Bretsky
02-22-2008, 10:22 PM
IMO Hawk is a better football players than Sims; then again I thought this thread was about current football news and the thread has been jacked into the same ole same ole :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
02-22-2008, 11:33 PM
I think i WILL ALSO BE SHOWN CORRECTLY WHEN i STATED THAT Mario will be a very good, game changing DE and will be the best D player in that draft.

alright do you want all of us to give you a pat on the back BECAUSE SOME how YOu predicted the number ONE pick was going to TURN OUT GOOD?

That has nothing to do with this because there was no way we could have gotten williams.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Hello captain obvious.

If bulldog wants to impress me, call out the #1 as a bust and be proven right.

HarveyWallbangers
02-22-2008, 11:42 PM
BTW, I think Sims is good. Maybe even comparable to Hawk. Different LBs though. Until Sims can play 5 years in the NFL, I'm always going to worry about those concussion issues. He hasn't had any yet in the NFL, but he's probably do. He's small and explosive, and that takes a toll on a little guy when he's not afraid to put his hat on somebody. Injuries can happen to anyone, but Hawk seems like the type of guy that we don't have to be that concerned about in that regard.

Lurker64
02-23-2008, 01:28 AM
IMO Hawk is a better football players than Sims; then again I thought this thread was about current football news and the thread has been jacked into the same ole same ole :lol:

Maybe we can start a Hawk vs. Sims thread and talk about current NFL news in it.

Fritz
02-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Funny how these threads mutate.

Current NFL news: GM's all around the league are getting wood over college boys' 40 times and benchpressing abilities. Some fast dude who can lift a lot of weight will invariably get drafted way too high, and some defensive tackle who is fat and lazy and skips the combine will also get drafted way too high just because, well, he's a defensive tackle and he's big.

b bulldog
02-23-2008, 12:17 PM
2007 offseason, that was what I thought. Guess it is a tad old.

GrnBay007
02-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Chargers sign LB Smith days after being cut by 49ers

Feb. 24, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

SAN DIEGO -- Derek Smith, released Tuesday by the San Francisco 49ers, agreed to a two-year deal with the San Diego Chargers on Sunday.

Smith, whose role with the 49ers was assumed last season by rookie Patrick Willis, will bolster San Diego's inside linebackers group.

He spent seven seasons with the 49ers, and was their leading tackler from 2001-05. He's spent the last three years playing in a 3-4 defense, which is what the Chargers play.

Smith was drafted by the Washington Redskins in 1997 and played four seasons under Norv Turner, who is entering his second season as San Diego's head coach.

Neither general manager A.J. Smith nor Turner returned phone calls seeking comment.

Terms of the deal weren't available.

Smith, an 11-year pro who signed a three-year contract extension before the 2006 season, was due to make $3.28 million in base salary next season.

Willis, the NFL's defensive rookie of the year, took over Smith's role as the 49ers' defensive leader and top tackler.

Smith has long been one of the NFL's top unsung defensive players, annually racking up gaudy tackling statistics with little fanfare. He made at least 123 tackles in each of his first nine NFL seasons.

He was voted the 49ers' co-MVP in 2005, but missed two games in 2006 because of a strained eye muscle that limited his peripheral vision, eventually requiring surgery. He started 14 games and made 98 tackles last season, but his playing time decreased significantly in the final months of San Francisco's fifth straight losing campaign.
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-25-2008, 11:59 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com

The Panthers are reportedly close to signing free agent Muhsin Muhammad.

Profootballtalk.com reports the deal would pay Moose $1.5 million annually, a fair number and not far off what he would've made in Chicago. We suspect the contract is for three years. Muhammad wouldn't be guaranteed a starting spot in Carolina, but would push Dwayne Jarrett and likely play in three-receiver sets with Steve Smith possibly moving to the slot on those downs.

An NFC source told Bengals.com that the 49ers are interested in free agent to be Justin Smith and "were working on the deal last night."

With all their interest in Smith and Lance Briggs, the Niners seem to be considering a move back to the 4-3. If San Francisco was talking with Smith, it's another tampering violation. They are already being investigated about tampering with Briggs, although nothing may come of it.

Free agent Asante Samuel is rumored to be in search of a ten-year, $100 million contract, including $30 million up front.

Apparently he doesn't just want more than Nate Clements (seven years, $64 million), he wants much more. The way Samuel and his agent are speaking, it sounds like he doesn't have a preference of where to sign. Some GMs are pegging him as a system DB, but Samuel will likely go to the highest bidder.

Jeremy Shockey (broken fibula) has shed his walking boot and been cleared for the Giants' offseason program.

The offseason program starts on March 31. Shockey remains highly unlikely to be traded. He is a far superior all-around player to Kevin Boss.

Arkansas RB Darren McFadden ran an official 4.33 forty at the NFL Combine Sunday.

Hello. McFadden was considering not running in the weeks leading up to the Combine, but it's good he did. For perspective, Adrian Peterson ran 4.40 and 4.37 times last year. At 4.35, California WR DeSean Jackson officially posted the fastest time among wideouts. East Carolina scatback/returner Chris Johnson (4.24) had the fastest official time among running backs.

NflDraftScout.com's Howard Balzer reports there are "serious concerns" over the long-term effects of a stress fracture Glenn Dorsey suffered in 2006.

The stress fracture was in his right tibia. After taking a physical Saturday, Dorsey was sent to the hospital for additional tests. Dorsey is not working out at the Combine due to a death in the family, but the tibia issue is reportedly now a "red flag" for some NFL teams.

woodbuck27
02-25-2008, 03:09 PM

That would excite me.

I don't think Vilma and Poppinga play the same position>?
I thought Vilma was a MLB

The times I've watched him I seemed to re-call him lining up on the weakside. Attacking the QB's left side.

In any case he certainly impressed me up to two years ago. He was a force.

Green Bud Packer
02-25-2008, 03:30 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com

Arkansas RB Darren McFadden ran an official 4.33 forty at the NFL Combine Sunday.

Hello. McFadden was considering not running in the weeks leading up to the Combine, but it's good he did. For perspective, Adrian Peterson ran 4.40 and 4.37 times last year. At 4.35, California WR DeSean Jackson officially posted the fastest time among wideouts. East Carolina scatback/returner Chris Johnson (4.24) had the fastest official time among running backs.

This has got to be the fastest class of backs ever.

RashanGary
02-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Asante Sameul wants 100 million dollars!!

This is acctually great. These guys get gobbled up on the UFA market and ruin the teams they go to, making our chances of winning that much better.

b bulldog
02-25-2008, 07:28 PM
I bet he goes to the Jets

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-29-2008, 07:59 PM
The Bengals will host free agent FS Marlon McCree for a visit.

Carolina and Miami also have set up meetings with the soon to be 31-year-old. McCree has some game left, but the Bolts cut him due to a high salary.

Seahawks released OL Tom Ashworth.

A perfect example of why you don't sign former Patriots. Ashworth never came close to locking down a starting role in Seattle after signing a lucrative five-year contract in 2006. He was another system player in New England.

The Lions' trade of DT Shaun Rogers to the Bengals has been called off.

The deal was considered consummated, even being confirmed by Bengals.com and the Lions organization. However, the Lions are reportedly now trying to deal Rogers to another team. It's uncertain what stopped the deal - possibly health or off-field issues. The Broncos and Bills could be interested.

The Saints will bring in free agent DE Travis LaBoy for a visit Saturday.

LaBoy was in Cleveland Friday, presumably being looked at as a 3-4 outside linebacker and bookend for Kamerion Wimbley. He'd play down in the Nola.

The Saints hosted free agent CB Aaron Glenn and DE Bobby McCray Friday.

If Glenn can't find a taker, he figures to retire. McCray is young but coming off an unproductive season and would likely be a boom or bust signing.

Free agent DE Justin Smith is believed to have left the San Francisco area without a contract.

He's heading to Minneapolis. Smith is thought to be in search of a deal averaging $8 million annually with $18 million worth of guaranteed money.

The Bucs have scheduled a visit for free agent TE Ben Troupe.

Troupe caught 55 passes in 2005, but has regressed as a pro ever since. It could be a motivational issue. He definitely doesn't lack the talent.

Broncos released WR Javon Walker, according to ESPN's Michael Smith.

He's a big name, but Walker's contract and knee injury made it an easy choice by Denver. That no one chose to give up a late-round pick for Walker is telling. It's rumored that he could need microfracture surgery in the future, although he will have plenty of suitors lined up with MRI machines. Dallas, Washington, Philadelphia, and Tampa Bay have been rumored to be interested.

49ers agreed to terms with WR Isaac Bruce on a two-year contract, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

He's a No. 1 receiver again. Bruce, 35, isn't the wideout he once was, but he can still run routes with the best of them. He's averaged 65 catches and 915 yards with Scott Linehan the last two seasons. Now back under Mike Martz's watch, it wouldn't be a surprise if he maintained his numbers on an inferior offense. He's looking like a fantasy WR3/4 fantasy again.

Raiders signed S Gibril Wilson, formerly of the Giants, to a six-year, $39 million contract. The deal includes $16 million guaranteed.

The Raiders consider their safeties interchangeable, but we suspect they'll use Wilson more in the box and let Michael Huff patrol the deep middle, assuming Huff isn't traded. Wilson picked off a career-high four passes last year. He's now overpaid, but is a better tackler than Stuart Schweigert. Schweigert will likely battle Hiram Eugene to be Oakland's third safety. Feb. 29 - 6:58 pm et

Alan Faneca's agent denies that his client as signed with the Jets.

"False report. It's a false report," agent Rick Smith said. ESPN's website reported earlier the two sides agreed to a four-year, $32 million contract. His agent told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette a decision will come Friday night. It could still be with the Jets, but the Rams and 49ers are in the mix. Feb. 29 - 6:40 pm et

Dolphins signed QB Josh McCown to a two-year, $6.25 million contract.

We'll pencil him in as the favorite to start, although McCown will have to hold off John Beck and most likely a draft pick. McCown, 28, has always had the physical traits (arm, athleticism, size), but never completed more than 60.4% of his passes or had a 7.0+ YPA in a season. We know he's not supposed to be a long-term answer, but McCown isn't even a good stopgap. Feb. 29 - 5:07 pm et

Eagles signed Asante Samuel to a six-year contract. ESPN's John Clayton says it's for $54 million, with $6 million in incentives.

The key is the first three years and Samuel probably will make roughly $10 million per-year over that time. We think Samuel is only a borderline Pro Bowler, but his gambling nature matches up well with Jim Johnson's pressure defense. This could put Lito Sheppard on the open market.

Free agent Bernard Berrian is reportedly en route to Oakland.

The Vikings couldn't get him signed immediately, not that they're entirely out of the running. Berrian is the deep threat big-armed JaMarcus Russell needs and Al Davis has tons of cap room, even after the Tommy Kelly signing. Feb. 29 - 4:36 pm et

The Seahawks are close to signing free agent TE Alge Crumpler, according to the Atlanta-Journal Constitution.

He'd reunite with likely 2009 Seahawks head coach Jim Mora. The Titans seemingly weren't impressed with Crumpler after his Thursday visit. There's still reason to believe he can put up borderline TE1 stats for Mike Holmgren. Feb. 29 - 3:24 pm et

Dolphins signed WR Ernest Wilford, formerly of the Jaguars, to a four-year, $13 million contract. The deal includes a $6 million signing bonus.

He immediately becomes the favorite to start opposite Ted Ginn. Wilford, 29, caught 46 passes for 518 yards (11.5 YPC) and three TDs as a rotational wideout in Jacksonville last year. He's going to an offense in transition and is unlikely to be a huge fantasy factor. However, Wilford is a tough blocker and possession threat with red-zone ability. He'll help the 'Fins move the chains. Feb. 29 - 3:15 pm et

Partial
02-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Ben Troupe Ben Troupe Ben Troupe!

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-01-2008, 10:29 AM
The Rochester Democrat & Chronicle confirms that the "wheels are turning" on a trade that would send DT Marcus Stroud to the Bills.

Stroud, who's been permitted to seek a trade, visited Buffalo Friday. The Bills have been searching for a nose tackle for years, but Stroud carries big injury risk. He shouldn't cost them what the Browns paid for Shaun Rogers.

The Jets have inquired about free agent OL Shane Olivea.

The team has its new left guard (when Alan Faneca officially signs on the dotted line), and could use an upgrade at right tackle. Olivea is a NY native.

The Ravens extended restricted free agent LS Matt Katula a low tender.

It's for $927,000. The Ravens did not tender FB Justin Green, which isn't a surprise. Le'Ron McClain will be Baltimore's starting fullback this season.

Mike Flynn, recently cut by the Ravens, thinks Jonathan Ogden will retire.

Ogden and Flynn were close. "I know last year when they released Edwin (Mulitalo) it was tough on me, and I know Jonathan felt that way about Edwin, too," Flynn said. "For Jonathan with a new coaching staff and a new system... Sometimes, that’s when the gas tank goes on ‘E.’ He’s going to be the best tackle to ever play the game. What else is there for him to accomplish?"

The Dolphins and Bengals are interested in free agent OLB Darryl Blackstock.

Both are moving to base 3-4 alignments in 2008. Blackstock was a highly touted pass rusher coming out of UVA, but hasn't done much of it in the pros.

The agent for Alan Faneca says Larry Fitzgerald's drawn-out contract talks with the Cardinals cost the team a shot at his client.

"They would 100 percent be in this thing if Larry had redone his deal," said the agent. "Larry is going to cost them Alan Faneca. It’s a fact." This isn't going to make Fitz popular in Arizona. The Cards have already offered to make him the richest receiver in the NFL.

Free agent TE Ben Hartsock will visit with the Falcons today.

With Alge Crumpler gone, Atlanta has a gaping hole at tight end. Still, don't expect Hartsock to be much of a fantasy factor even if the Falcons scoop him up.

49ers signed DE Justin Smith to a six-year, $45 million contract. The deal includes $20 million in guarantees.

He never made it to Minneapolis. Smith, the No. 4 pick in 2001, will be used often with his hand up in San Francisco's 3-4, allowing Tully Banta-Cain to be a nickel rusher. He'll also see a good amount of action at end in the Niners' 4-3 fronts. Smith hasn't played linebacker as a pro, but has the motor and athleticism to be effective there. He's a good player who is getting paid to be great.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Eagles are shopping Lito Sheppard.

Sheppard, 26, has made more Pro Bowls than his usurper, Asante Samuel. The Patriots ironically were earlier rumored to be interested. There are rumors in Arizona and Philly of a possible Lito-for-Larry Fitzgerald swap.

Browns acquired DT Shaun Rogers from the Lions in exchange for CB Leigh Bodden and a 2008 third-round draft choice.

The Browns have now given up their top three draft picks, but have added about 700 pounds to their defensive line. Rogers will have ups and downs, but adds talent and beef to their defense. Their line can be solid. The Lions should be happy the NFL canceled their deal with the Bengals. Bodden immediately becomes their top corner, not that it would've taken much.

The Broncos are expected to meet with free agent LB Boss Bailey next week.

Champ is likely pulling for his younger brother to join him in Denver. Boss can play all three linebacker positions. He should be relatively cheap.

Rams signed PK Josh Brown to a five-year, $14.2 million contract. The deal included a $4 million signing bonus, according to NFL Net's Adam Schefter.

The deal one-ups Adam Vinatieri's five-year, $12 million contract and makes Brown the NFL's highest paid kicker. The cap-strapped Rams have been quiet so far in free agency, but this is a great pickup. They take a clutch weapon from an intradivision rival and put him in a dome. Brown should be a top fantasy kicker in 2008.

The Giants have been in contact with free agent S Eugene Wilson.

Wilson hasn't been courted for a visit by any teams, but he's also thought to be on the Dolphins' radar. Wilson is a true cover safety, which the Giants could've used even before they lost Gibril Wilson to Oakland on Friday.

With Alan Faneca likely headed to the Jets, the Rams have turned their efforts toward free agent G Jacob Bell.

They're currently trying to set up a visit. Faneca will announce where he's signing by Saturday at 6PM ET. Bell is undersized, but only 26 and was valued by the Titans. They tried to re-sign him before he hit the market.

The Falcons extended a second-round tender to restricted free agent P Michael Koenen.

Just tying up some loose ends. Koenen is no longer considered a viable placekicking option, but has a huge leg for punting. He was undrafted, so he likely would've been long gone without a high tender.

The Falcons extended restricted free agent SLB Mike Boley a first-round tender. FB Corey McIntyre and DE Chauncey Davis got low tenders.

Davis, a run-stopping reserve, was originally a fourth-round pick and should be safe. The Falcons will try to sign Boley long term by the summer.

The Browns will meet with free agent LB Nick Greisen on Saturday.

As mentioned previously, they're also talking to free agent Clark Haggans. Greisen would be a special teamer/reserve ILB in Cleveland's scheme.

The Bucs have shown interest in free agent OT Kwame Harris.

The Bucs have shown interest in almost everyone. They'd only offer Harris a "swing tackle" job. He'd compete to start in Oakland, where he was Friday.

Fritz
03-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks for getting the thread back on track.

By the way, I heard from a friend that an analysis of cap space shows the Packers to have more than about 25 teams. The team in the worst straits appears to be the Detroit Lions.

MJZiggy
03-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Is that why they seem to be offloading their entire defensive line?

Tyrone Bigguns
03-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Tyrone called the Bruce signing.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-01-2008, 01:38 PM
A third of the league is interested in WR Javon Walker.

At least 10 teams, including all four NFC East clubs, have been in contact with Walker. The 49ers, Bills, Bucs, Panthers, Raiders, and Vikings are also interested, but no visits have been scheduled yet.

Cowboys WR Terry Glenn has opted against having microfracture surgery on his knee.

He's going to need the surgery in the near future, but doctors have told him he can continue to play without it. Glenn's days as a fantasy factor are likely over, especially if the Cowboys land Javon Walker.

Add the Cardinals to the teams interested in DE Antwan Odom.

Odom is scheduled to visit Arizona on Tuesday after visiting with Cincinnati this weekend. Odom may well be the best defensive end on the market now that Justin Smith has signed with San Francisco.

Jaguars signed CB Drayton Florence. He will receive $12 million in guarantees.

He's only a league-average cornerback, but he was the most experienced starter on the market. Jacksonville did well signing Brian Williams to a similar deal, and now has one of the deepest backfields in the NFL. Florence will probably be a nickel back.

Donte Stallworth is expected to visit the Raiders.

He visited Cleveland Friday. Stallworth would help both times as a rotation receiver who could stretch the field.

b bulldog
03-01-2008, 02:04 PM
I thought Stallworth would end up in Minnesota

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-01-2008, 04:10 PM
FoxSports.com reports that the Bills acquired former Jaguars DT Marcus Stroud for third- and fifth-round picks.

Buffalo's run defense just got more stout. Stroud, 30, hasn't been the same since undergoing ankle surgery in 2006, but he's a premier tackle when healthy. That isn't often. Profootballtalk reports that Stroud will receiver more upfront money on his current deal, but won't get a significant raise from the Bills.

Calvin Pace will visit the Jets Saturday.

Sports Illustrated incorrectly reported Friday that Pace was signing with Miami. He is going to make a lot of money for some 3-4 team.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-01-2008, 04:44 PM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Browns have reached agreement with Donte' Stallworth.

Terms aren't known, but it's a great fit for both sides. Cleveland gets depth and speed at wideout, while Stallworth fits best supporting player. He'll make the Browns tough to defend lining up with Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, and Joe Jurevicius. His fantasy numbers should uptick because he'll see the field more than in New England, but don't expect his first 1,000-yard season. 850 is a better target.

The Vikings signed Bernard Berrian to an undisclosed six-year contract.

Berrian could be overmatched if expected to be a true "number one" receiver, but he adds production and talent to a woeful passing game. Tarvaris Jackson now has two burners in Berrian and Sidney Rice, with Bobby Wade still likely to be active underneath. Expect Berrian's numbers to take a slight hit in Minnesota, where Jackson is still a major question mark.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that the Jets have reached agreement with Alan Faneca on a four-year contract.

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2008, 05:06 PM
I like Sidney Rice as a prospect, but I'd hardly call him a burner. In fact, I think his speed is part of the reason he dropped to the second round.

b bulldog
03-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Not a burner but he seems to have that knack of being able to get open.

Charles Woodson
03-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Jets | Faneca signs five-year deal
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 14:43:11 -0800

Alex Marvez, of FOXSports.com, reports the New York Jets have agreed to terms with free-agent OG Alan Faneca (Steelers) on a five-year contract worth $40 million with $21 million guaranteed. It is the largest free-agent contract ever signed by an offensive lineman.

Charles Woodson
03-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Dolphins | Team close to signing Pace
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:41:01 -0800

Bob McManaman, of the Arizona Republic, reports the Miami Dolphins are close to signing free-agent LB Calvin Pace (Cardinals).

Texans | Reeves agrees to five-year deal
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:31:06 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans have agreed to terms on a five-year, $20 million contract with free-agent CB Jacques Reeves (Cowboys).

Rastak
03-01-2008, 07:15 PM
I like Sidney Rice as a prospect, but I'd hardly call him a burner. In fact, I think his speed is part of the reason he dropped to the second round.

Yup....he's got decent speed and great hands. He isn't a burner.

RashanGary
03-01-2008, 08:16 PM
John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans have agreed to terms on a five-year, $20 million contract with free-agent CB Jacques Reeves (Cowboys).

Wasn't this the really, really shitty guy who couldn't cover worth a lick that the Cowboys were constantly trying to cover up for. Now he gets 4 mil per year. OK, I'm pretty sure you can find a 400,000 per year scrap heap guy like Tramon Williams who can do the same thing, maybe even do it better. Maybe I'm thinking of a different guy, but I'm pretty sure Reeves was a big problem in Dallas.

Charles Woodson
03-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Falcons | Dunn will likely be released
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 12:52:31 -0800

John Murphy, of Yahoo Sports, reports Atlanta Falcons RB Warrick Dunn will likely be released Monday, March 3, in order to help clear space under the team's salary cap.

Falcons | Turner agrees to six-year contract
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 12:51:57 -0800

John Murphy, of Yahoo Sports, reports free-agent RB Michael Turner (Chargers) has agreed to a six-year contract with the Atlanta Falcons. The deal includes $15 million of guaranteed money and is expected to be worth over $34 million in total.

Broncos | Contract update: Colbert
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 12:31:12 -0800

The Denver Post reports Denver Broncos WR Keary Colbert signed a three-year deal worth $7.2 million with $2.5 million to sign.

Saints | Gay reportedly agrees to four-year contract
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 12:16:05 -0800

ESPN.com reports free-agent CB Randall Gay (Patriots) has reportedly agreed to a four-year contract worth up to $17.8 million with the New Orleans Saints, according to NFL.com and the New Orleans Times-Picayune. The Times-Picayune reports the deal is worth about $6.7 million in salary and bonuses over the first two years, with a chance to go up to $9 million based on playing time.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Not a bad deal for the NO Saints and Randall Gay

Charles Woodson
03-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Not a bad deal for the NO Saints and Randall Gay

yea that was the one guy that i wanted.... :(

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 03:26 PM
FLOWERY BRANCH, GA –- The Atlanta Falcons agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent running back Michael Turner on Sunday.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the two sides agreed on a six-year contract worth $34.5 million, including $15 million in guaranteed money.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Javon Walker-WR-Broncos Mar. 2 - 4:42 pm et

The Washington Post disputes an ESPN.com report that the Redskins are seriously interested in free agent Javon Walker.

Michael Smith's item said that the Redskins have been in contact with Walker. The report also said that Walker is intrigued by the idea of playing in San Francisco under coordinator Mike Martz or for the Bucs' Jon Gruden.
Source: Washington Post

Lito Sheppard-DB-Eagles Mar. 2 - 4:35 pm et

The Eagles have reportedly contacted the Redskins about Lito Sheppard "several times" in the past few weeks.

Maybe the Birds didn't permit Sheppard to seek a trade, but that doesn't mean they're not shopping him. Philadelphia is said to have little reservation about trading Sheppard inside the division. It's believed that Shawn Springs might have been part of a potential deal. No trade is imminent.

Source: Washington Post

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Tony Richardson-RB-Vikings

The Jets have contacted free agent FB Tony Richardson.

Richardson was an All Pro in 2007, but Minnesota didn't retain him because of his age (36) and likely price tag. The Jets have unsuccessfully been searching for a lead blocker since the Eric Mangini took over in 2006.
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Lurker64
03-02-2008, 05:06 PM
I saw this one on Rotoworld:

The Titans have shown no interest in free agent D.J. Hackett.

Lack of interest is news? Shouldn't the headlines be filled with stuff like "Arizona Cardinals have shown no interest in trading for Brett Favre" if lack of interest is news?

BallHawk
03-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Per PFT.....

ALGE IS A TITAN

On Friday, there were reports that free-agent tight end Alge Crumpler was poised to sign with the Seahawks.

It didn't happen.

Instead, Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Crumpler has joined the Titans, a team flush with cap space and in desperate need of a boost to the passing game.

Crumpler became a Pro Bowler in Atlanta while playing with a run-oriented quarterback who often found Crumpler open while scrambling out of the pocket.

So, basically, Crumpler could be a Pro Bowler again in Tennessee.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Oh well; he might have been worth a flyer

BallHawk
03-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Per ESPN......Warrick Dunn released.

ATLANTA -- Running back Warrick Dunn was released by the Atlanta Falcons on Monday, one day after the club signed free agent Michael Turner.

Dunn, who ran for 720 yards and four touchdowns this past season, spent six years with the Falcons. The 11-year NFL veteran became expendable after the signing of Turner, who was the backup to San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson.

Dunn became the 22nd NFL player to top 10,000 career rushing yards. In his career he has amassed 10,179 yards on 2,484 carries -- a 4.1 yard-per-carry average. He also has 463 receptions for 4,009 yards.

On Sunday, the Falcons signed Turner to a six-year deal. The contract is worth $34.5 million with approximately $15 million guaranteed, sources told ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

"Warrick has performed at an extremely high level for a very long time," new Falcons coach Mike Smith said. "Making moves like this one is never easy. It's tough. But we have to do what we feel is in the best long term interest of the Falcons. Everyone here in our organization wishes Warrick success in all of his future endeavors."

MadtownPacker
03-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Dunn would be good for a short contract. Knows the ZBS and can actually catch the damn ball.

]{ilr]3
03-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Dunn would be good for a short contract. Knows the ZBS and can actually catch the damn ball.

I agree, Dunn is a plug-in RB in our system and others could benifit from being around him not only on the field but off.

I like the idea.

pittstang5
03-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Dunn...no brainer for me. He shouldn't command a lot of money and he'd be a better option than Vernon "I like to dance around for no gain" Morency. Couldn't hurt bringing him in for a look to compete.

Depends on whether he'd want to play behind Grant.

HarveyWallbangers
03-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I'd rather supplement Grant and Jackson with a draft pick at RB.

packers11
03-03-2008, 12:24 PM
I'd rather supplement Grant and Jackson with a draft pick at RB.

Agree... Jackson showed potential...

Wynn , Morency, or a late draft pick will fight it out for the 3rd spot...

]{ilr]3
03-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Nothing wrong with having a Stable to choose from. Like what was mentioned above, I think Dunn can be had for reasonable money.

SkinBasket
03-03-2008, 12:54 PM
I also like the idea of Dunn coming to share his wisdom. No need to try to develop 3 RBs at the same time when only one of them is going to see the majority of the snaps anyway.

Freak Out
03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Dunn if healthy is a damn good RB. To bad he wasn't released before last season.

Fritz
03-03-2008, 01:51 PM
For God's sake, people, we have DeShawn Wynn.

What happened to the DeShawn Wynn fan club?

Everyone's a wynner!

He's going to bust out next season. Look out, Ryan Grant!

Warrick Dunn is an aging piece of flotsam.

Zool
03-03-2008, 02:24 PM
We still have Cement Shoes Herron dont we? He can show Grant and Jackson how to slow down and catch a swing pass for 2 yards.

SkinBasket
03-03-2008, 04:08 PM
We still have Cement Shoes Herron dont we? He can show Grant and Jackson how to slow down and catch a swing pass for -2 yards.

Note the correction.

packers11
03-03-2008, 04:53 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Bucs acquired QB Brian Griese from the Bears in exchange for an undisclosed second-day draft pick.

If the Bears get more than a seventh-rounder, we'll fall over. Griese, 33 this month, couldn't beat out Kyle Orton or Rex Grossman last year, turning the ball over 13 times in seven appearances. He knows the Bucs' offense, but will be battling with Luke McCown, Bruce Gradkowski, and possibly Chris Simms just to make the team. Jeff Garcia is locked in as the starter. Mar. 3 - 3:00 pm et

Source: St. Petersburg Times

Tyrone Bigguns
03-03-2008, 05:57 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Bucs acquired QB Brian Griese from the Bears in exchange for an undisclosed second-day draft pick.

If the Bears get more than a seventh-rounder, we'll fall over. Griese, 33 this month, couldn't beat out Kyle Orton or Rex Grossman last year, turning the ball over 13 times in seven appearances. He knows the Bucs' offense, but will be battling with Luke McCown, Bruce Gradkowski, and possibly Chris Simms just to make the team. Jeff Garcia is locked in as the starter. Mar. 3 - 3:00 pm et

Source: St. Petersburg Times

Greise was in TB before. Its like opening the fridge, tasting the milk, finding it is sour, putting it back in..then a couple of hours, opening the fridge, tasting the milk..and saying..MY GOD, THE MILK IS STILL SOUR!!

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Bengals agreed to terms with DE Antwan Odom on a five-year, $29.5 million contract. The deal includes $11.5 million guaranteed.

The Bengals' recent moves (also trying to deal for Dewayne Robertson) indicate they're not sold on using a 3-4 in 2008. Odom, 26, had a career best eight sacks while playing in a rotation with Travis LaBoy in 2007. He had 21 total tackles. The Bengals will likely put him at right end, a position he's struggled at, and ask him to play every down. We'd avoid him in IDP leagues.

The Rams have reportedly agreed to terms on a six-year contract with free agent LG Jason Bell.

Post-Dispatch writer Bernie Miklasz doesn't have numbers yet, but he's likely getting about $4 million a year. Bell, 26, is only 6'4/295, but is considered sound technically and was part of a good Titans line. Of course, he was flanked by two excellent players, C Kevin Mawae and LT Michael Roos.

Cardinals agreed to terms with OLB/DE Travis LaBoy on a five-year, $22 million contract, according to NFL Network.

He's going to play with his hand up in Arizona. LaBoy dealt with various injuries as a Titan, but he brought pressure on the rare times when healthy. He had six sacks and forced four fumbles in 2007. LaBoy will compete with Bertrand Berry to be the Cards' starting right outside linebacker in training camp.

GrnBay007
03-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Big Ben Hits Jackpot

PITTSBURGH (March 3) - Talk about a comeback. Ben Roethlisberger signed an eight-year extension Monday with the Pittsburgh Steelers that is worth $102 million and makes him one of the league's top-paid players. "He's a Steeler and he'll always be a Steeler," team chairman Dan Rooney said.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Free agent LB Brandon Chillar has a Tuesday visit scheduled in Green Bay.

He arrived in Arizona last night to meet with the Cardinals, who'd use him inside in their 3-4. He'd compete to start on the strong side for the Pack.

The Packers and Jaguars have reportedly shown interest in free agent LB Brendon Ayanbadejo.

Neither has set up a meeting with him or has an open spot at linebacker.

The Steelers are hosting free agent DB Eugene Wilson for a visit on Tuesday, but are not expected to sign him.

The Steelers are tight up against the cap after extending their QB. "We'll see what happens," coach Mike Tomlin said. "Don't hold your breath, though."

Teams have reportedly shied away from free agent DT Rod Coleman due to concerns about his health.

He's probably failing physicals. Coleman has had quadriceps, triceps, and knee surgery within the last year. He met with the Bucs and Panthers in February, but neither offered him a deal and he's drawn no interest since.

The Bears received a sixth-round draft pick in 2009 in exchange for Brian Griese.

We'd have to think it's conditional based on starts Griese might make this year, but that's not confirmed. One report out of Chicago said that the Bucs were competing with Houston to land Griese. They probably would have then traded Sage Rosenfels.

The Eagles "remain locked in trade talks" involving CB Lito Sheppard, according to the Philadelphia Daily News.

The Birds have reportedly fielded several offers already, involving both draft picks and players. A league source told the Daily News to "forget the idea" of the Cardinals giving up Larry Fitzgerald in a Sheppard trade.