PDA

View Full Version : List of Free Agents?

Charles Woodson
02-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Does anyone know of a list that has the upcoming free agents?

PackerBlues
02-22-2008, 08:16 PM
http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents.php

PackerBlues
02-22-2008, 08:54 PM
I am hoping that Thompson goes the extra mile to fix our O-line. Faneca would be a short term solution for sure, but much better than what the Packers currently have. As one of the guys that have been providing Peyton Manning with such great protection for the last couple of years, Jake Scott might also be worth consideration.

Alan Faneca, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers Age: 31.

Faneca is the safest bet of the this group to be finding a new home. Contract extension talks have gone nowhere and Faneca is a quality guard who has started in five Pro Bowls and been selected as a first team All-Pro five times as well. He also still has some prime seasons of his career remaining. Faneca will receive the most interest at his position, could be the most coveted offensive linemen after the season, and should also be one of the most coveted players available in all of the NFL.

Jake Scott, UFA, Indianapolis Colts Age: 27

Scott is the starting right guard for one of the top offensive line units in the entire NFL, and his ability to help protect Peyton Manning should equate to a nice contract number. Indianapolis has found a way to retain most of their line talent in recent seasons, and it should come as no surprise if Scott is locked into a long-term deal in the near future. But with big dollars being paid out to Ryan Lilja, Scott might not fit into the budget plans.

I would also like to see an upgrade from Poppinga, perhaps one of these guys..........

Lance Briggs, UFA, Chicago Bears
Since 2004, Briggs has been a standout linebacker for the Bears. He’s overshadowed by Brian Urlacher much of the time, but Briggs gets the job done as is evidenced by the fact that he’s totaled more than 100 tackles in each of the past three seasons and that he’s added four sacks and five interceptions over that time. This season, he’s made 95 total tackles, along with two sacks and two forced fumbles. Teams are going to line up to try and entice Briggs to come play for them, and whichever team lands him will be adding one of the top weak-side defenders in the league. The chances of Briggs leaving seem good.

Boss Bailey, UFA, Detroit Lions
Bailey has strong coverage skills and works hard to make plays. He’ physically gifted, but he has battled injury during his young career and hasn’t had a chance to show consistent play. Due to lost games, he’s also been unable to work on developing a knack for tracking down the ball. Bailey needs to be more physical, but also find a way to stay healthy. He was able to stay relatively healthy this season and make 47 total tackles along with 3.5 sacks. Bailey may find it easier to remain in Detroit.

Kawika Mitchell UFA New York Giants
Mitchell tallied seasons of 105 tackles and 104 tackles in Kansas City prior to this season. Mitchell is now playing for a Giants team that has some decent depth at linebacker and has improved their defensive play over the course of the season, so he hasn’t been asked to post similar totals. However, he’s still been able to make 69 total tackles, force a fumble, record 1.5 sacks, and return an interception for a score to help the Giants secure a playoff spot. Mitchell may not be the biggest prize as a free agent, but if he doesn’t stay in New York, he will be a solid addition for any team that needs linebacker help.

Fritz
02-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Hey, Boss Bailey would not be an upgrade over Poppinga. For one, he can't stay on the field. For two, he can be pushed around in the running game.

Sherman taking Barnett over Bailey a few years back was a great move on Shermy's part. For all the picking on Shermy I do, this was a damn good choice.

RashanGary
02-23-2008, 08:15 AM
I accually think our LB situation is pretty good. As far as LB's go, Poppinga rates in the upper percentile for blowing up blocks and holding his ground IMO. As our two down linebacker, that's what he's asked to do.

Hawk and Barnett are our complete guys. YOu don't need three LB's to stay on the field during passing situations. Now, if the draft presents something better, by all means upgrade. It's just not something we should press to do in the expensive confines of UFA.

Charles Woodson
02-23-2008, 10:40 AM
yea but then again i wouldnt be complaining if they signed lance briggs

RashanGary
02-23-2008, 10:41 AM
yea but then again i wouldnt be complaining if they signed lance briggs

Barnett got 6 years, 36.

I'll bet Briggs gets close to (maybe exceeding) 7 years 70.

twoseven
02-23-2008, 11:21 AM
With the list of teams that are 20-30-40 million under the cap being pretty healthy and the list of defensive playmaking FAs down to all but zero, I cannot see any way Briggs walks away with anything but a massive contract from someone who'll have him on the field all the time.

Bretsky
02-23-2008, 11:22 AM
With the list of teams that are 20-30-40 million under the cap being pretty healthy and the list of defensive playmaking FAs down to all but zero, I cannot see any way Briggs walks away with anything but a massive contract from someone who'll have him on the field all the time.

You just described the parallel concept as to why GB needed to keep Corey Williams

twoseven
02-23-2008, 11:39 AM

You just described the parallel concept as to why GB needed to keep Corey Williams
The list of tagged FAs looks like a 2007 Defensive All Pro roster.

PackerBlues
02-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Hey, Boss Bailey would not be an upgrade over Poppinga. For one, he can't stay on the field. For two, he can be pushed around in the running game.

Sherman taking Barnett over Bailey a few years back was a great move on Shermy's part. For all the picking on Shermy I do, this was a damn good choice.

Yeah, I was thinking of Bailey as more of an addition for depth. He is supposed to be good in coverage, unlike Pops and Hodge. That, plus with his injury history, perhaps it would be a good fit for him to come to GB and rotate in and out...........if the price were right.

b bulldog
02-23-2008, 07:16 PM
I'd like to see a LB drafted our signed who will give us some depth at the position. IMO, signing a big named LB would be a bad move cause we need more help in the passrush department and at corner or safety.

woodbuck27
02-24-2008, 01:59 PM
I'd like to see a LB drafted our signed who will give us some depth at the position. IMO, signing a big named LB would be a bad move cause we need more help in the passrush department and at corner or safety.

I agree with you.

Draft and develop a LBer.

I hope that TT goes for the best FA on the market on 'D' though.

Lurker64
02-24-2008, 02:12 PM
I hope that TT goes for the best FA on the market on 'D' though.

Other than Asante Samuel (who's going to get Nate Clements type money) and Gibril Wilson (who's probably going to resign with the team he just won a superbowl with), the cupboard is pretty darn bare in terms of top tier defensive FAs this year. The list of potential defensive FAs that were franchised reads like an allstar team though

Greg White wouldn't be a bad pickup though.