PDA

View Full Version : Packers show interest in Jermismatch Finley

RashanGary
02-22-2008, 06:49 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=720853

Jermichael Finley
TE | (6'5", 238, 4.65) | TEXAS

I'm reading up on him. I've never seen him play, but bouncing around forums and draft sites, this kid gets a lot of love for being a real playmaker.

He needs to keep his mouth shut about the Packers sniffing around. TT is getting a bit of a reputation as a good scout, I don't want these players letting other GM's know what we're thinking.

RashanGary
02-22-2008, 06:58 PM
BUBBA'S REPLACEMENT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s34hdT7DFwg

RashanGary
02-22-2008, 07:06 PM
The only advice I have for Jermismatch Finley is to maybe ease off on trying to run through NFL LB's and Safeties. I respect his toughness, but nobody does that in the NFL.

This kid is smooth for being 6'5". Very impressive.

RashanGary
02-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi everybody, it's a busy day and we have more picks to come, but I'd like to introduce you to the newest Packer, Jermismatch Finley. This kid is going to tear up cover 2 like a dog rapist on a three year old rotwieler.

Enjoy the draft everyone, we take pride in being the best in the NFL at what we do. And Woodbuck, if you're out there, this ones for you ;)

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/e_mailbob/Thompson.jpg

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper410/stills/so5223sj.jpg

CaliforniaCheez
02-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Ted may suprise you.

Recently, many players were chosen without any overt "interest" by the Packers such as Hawk and Jennings.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 07:23 PM
He stated today that the Packers are really in too him and have been with him almost all day long.

Lurker64
02-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Anybody that we're publicly interested in, we're not going to draft. The guys who we're actually interested in, we won't interview, talk to, talk about, or visit their pro-day except under cover of darkness and with an unknown scout under an assumed identity who claims to be working for some other team.

RashanGary
02-22-2008, 07:28 PM
That's very true. They've never taken a guy that they slobbered over and every guy they've ever taken they never said a word to.

Maybe they're doing reverse psychology. They're acting interested knowing teams think they're uninterested but really they are interested or something like that.

All I know is he looks like a player and for teh first time, my draft blood pressure is rising.

SkinBasket
02-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Or they're waiting for him to slip to the second round because he's an asshole.

Lurker64
02-22-2008, 07:31 PM
I really think Ted should spend most of his time talking up the players who are almost certainly going to go in the top 15. That will get the most heat off of him, I figure. It's safe for Ted to say "That Jake Long, he's a hell of a player... if he's there, we'll take him" or "You can never have enough big men in the middle, we really see a lot in both Ellis and Dorsey."

It will deflect attention away from the scouts in their ninja disguises and the spy satellites.

The Shadow
02-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Anybody that we're publicly interested in, we're not going to draft. The guys who we're actually interested in, we won't interview, talk to, talk about, or visit their pro-day except under cover of darkness and with an unknown scout under an assumed identity who claims to be working for some other team.

I agree.

MadtownPacker
02-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Like most mentioned, no way TT shows his cards to everyone on the flop. This guy aint getting picked.

RashanGary
02-22-2008, 08:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqSV1wnN5oQ

I've posted this before, but this kid is impressive.

b bulldog
02-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Nick, I share your passion and love of the draft and the prospects we can drool over, but the 60-120 second highlight clips could make anyone look out of this world, maybe even me. I think we need to have a Longhorn fan give us some opinions on this guy before we say he will give us a TE that will hurt the Tampa Two.

Joemailman
02-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Sporting News projects him to go at the end of the 3rd round. Good receiver, poor blocker at this point. Kind of light at 236, but at 6-5, might have the frame to put on weight.

Fritz
02-23-2008, 08:03 AM
I heard Jermismeyer was a bullfrog.

twoseven
02-23-2008, 11:14 AM
'"Green Bay, they've been on me," said Jermichael Finley, a junior from the University of Texas. "They've been on me real hard. I think I'd fit in real nice there. That's who's showing me the most love. They need a tight end, so that's why I'm, like, interested in them."'

Ever hear of Donald Lee, Jerms? So, if we didn't need a TE, would he still be, like, interested in us?

Fritz
02-23-2008, 12:32 PM
'"Green Bay, they've been on me," said Jermichael Finley, a junior from the University of Texas. "They've been on me real hard. I think I'd fit in real nice there. That's who's showing me the most love. They need a tight end, so that's why I'm, like, interested in them."'
Ever hear of Donald Lee, Jerms? So, if we didn't need a TE, would he still be, like, interested in us?

Uh, what exactly was Ted doing with this guy, anyway?

twoseven
02-23-2008, 12:38 PM

Uh, what exactly was Ted doing with this guy, anyway?
:alc:

:hug:

:bs:

Fritz
02-23-2008, 12:39 PM
...Sounds like ol' Jerismeiyer or Jerisviscous or whatever his name is must know Ted's measurable's now, too...

RashanGary
02-23-2008, 01:35 PM
...Sounds like ol' Jerismeiyer or Jerisviscous or whatever his name is must know Ted's measurable's now, too...

His name is Jermichael. I called him Jermismatch because of how fast and explosive he is :)

Lurker64
02-23-2008, 02:04 PM
The raiders expressed interest in Mr. Finley today, I expect they'll get him. They pick well before us in the 2nd and 3rd, and Al Davis's crew are sometimes up front with who they like.

red
02-23-2008, 02:31 PM
if they were showing interest in this guy, theres no way they draft him now that he opened his mouth.

rbaloha1
02-23-2008, 03:31 PM
This dude is a stud!

Catches the ball with his hands. Great YAC. Reads blocks well. Goes up for the ball likes James Jones. Fits the packers mo for receivers.

On another board someone posted he ran a 4.82 forty at the combine. Immaterial. Dude plays fast.

Hope he is available in the first round. Maybe a trade down in the second round.

Wow, the return of Chewy&Jackson!

BallHawk
02-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Sounds like a less talented Vernon Davis, both on and off the field.

I'm cool with Lee and some other guy.

RashanGary
02-23-2008, 04:55 PM
This dude is a stud!

Catches the ball with his hands. Great YAC. Reads blocks well. Goes up for the ball likes James Jones. Fits the packers mo for receivers.

On another board someone posted he ran a 4.82 forty at the combine. Immaterial. Dude plays fast.

Hope he is available in the first round. Maybe a trade down in the second round.

Sounds like you've seen this kid play. I've seen the highlight reel and I'm hoping he falls with a slower 40 time. He's smooth and from what I see he adjusts great to the football.

RashanGary
02-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Dustin Keller, TE Purdue,

2nd among TE's in strength (26 reps)
highest verticle leap (38"),
just ran a 4.54 and 4.53 40.

68 catches for 881 yards, 7 TD as a senior, 142 for 1882 yds career

VERY productive player. Very athletic player.

I've never seen him play either. Anyone got the low down?

RashanGary
02-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Maybe TT has the smoke screen up with Jermichael and really wants Keller.

RashanGary
02-23-2008, 05:15 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=28fZ0_-q1bA

Bretsky
02-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Love this guy and it would be a great move to pick him up. I hope I didn't just give the guy a curse by blessing him as our pick

Soft Hands
Speed
Nose for 1st down marker in several of those plays

Bretsky
02-23-2008, 05:24 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=28fZ0_-q1bA

I like his fire

Joemailman
02-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Sporting News WarRoom says Keller has good speed, is a downfield threat, does not have great hands and is not a good blocker. They rate him a 3-4 round prospect, with the potential to move up. He is a little short for a TE at just over 6-2. He definitely has a burst though.

RashanGary
02-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Not to get caught up in measurables, but he might be 6'2" but I havn't seen a definitive height.

That's a position where you like them a little taller.

b bulldog
02-23-2008, 07:10 PM
I like the potential from a guy I've seen play quite a bit, the TE from Mich St, Kellen Davis.

RashanGary
02-23-2008, 10:08 PM
I like the potential from a guy I've seen play quite a bit, the TE from Mich St, Kellen Davis.

They say it's a good draft for TE's. Maybe the NFL gets a nice infusion of TE talent this year.

Joemailman
02-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Sounds like Keller had a good day.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080223/PKR01/80223069/1989

Lurker64
02-23-2008, 10:42 PM
They say it's a good draft for TE's. Maybe the NFL gets a nice infusion of TE talent this year.

It's a weirdly shaped draft overall. Great draft for OTs, CBs, TEs, and RBs. Very topheavy at DT, and quite weak at OG, C, and S. No elite QBs or WRs either, everybody in either of those positions has some major questions about their NFL potential.

At least, am I the only person getting this impression?

HarveyWallbangers
02-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Finley ran a 4.83 at the combine today--according to JSO.

b bulldog
02-24-2008, 07:14 AM
JSO has all the times for the TE's on their site

KYPack
02-24-2008, 10:02 AM
This dude is a stud!

Sounds like you've seen this kid play. I've seen the highlight reel and I'm hoping he falls with a slower 40 time. He's smooth and from what I see he adjusts great to the football.

I agree. The 40 is the most overrrated statistic going. How often does a TE run 40 yards? 2 or 3 times a year? I love it when guys that are good prospects run slow 40's. You can then steal 'em with a low pick.

Terrell Davis ran a 4.65 40 and fell to the 6th round. 2 Superbowls later, he's lookin' pretty good.

That said, that Carlson from ND ran a 4.9+ 40. That's a worse time than Bubba had.

He'll be real "stealable".

b bulldog
02-24-2008, 10:31 AM
That is why the combine is a joke

ND72
02-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I like J. Finley from Texas a lot. He's a bit of a project in my mind, but I think he could be somethign special.

I do like Carlson from Notre Dame. He's a big, athletic guy. He blocks well, he catches well, he runs well. He reminds me A LOT of a Mark Chmura type guy. He's played in a west coast style offense, and in that scheme they use the TE as a way to stretch out the field and let the WR's cut under and make those solid comeback/out patterns that McCarthy likes.

Between the 2 I would probably prefer Carlson mostly because I know him better than Finley.

Patler
02-24-2008, 02:22 PM
I like J. Finley from Texas a lot. He's a bit of a project in my mind, but I think he could be somethign special.

I do like Carlson from Notre Dame. He's a big, athletic guy. He blocks well, he catches well, he runs well. He reminds me A LOT of a Mark Chmura type guy. He's played in a west coast style offense, and in that scheme they use the TE as a way to stretch out the field and let the WR's cut under and make those solid comeback/out patterns that McCarthy likes.

Between the 2 I would probably prefer Carlson mostly because I know him better than Finley.

Carlson catches the ball like a basketball player, with his hands away from his body. Probably because he was a big time basketball player in high school and was on the Notre Dame varsity basketball team as a Freshman (didn't play but a few minutes). However, because of his basketball background he has very good feet and balance. Catching is very natural and easy for him, using just his hands. He catches on the run very well, and catches throws that are not on target. I have seen most of his games the last two seasons, but I don't pay attention to how well a TE blocks other than on an occasional play. However, my general impression is that he played quite physical, when needed.

I think he would be a nice fit for the Packers, but not in the first round. I doubt he will be that much of an impact player. Just a good steady one. I suspect there will be a more "impactful" (ie higher ranked) player available in the first round.

RashanGary
02-24-2008, 02:31 PM
I like that Finley ran a poor 40. I'm always hoping a taltned player runs slower than expected so they drop.

Finley does look like a bit of a project, but he has a suddeness to his game that stands out. He did get run down from behind in his highlight vid when he was running long distances but I don't know that you need a TE who is going to turn a 10 YD catch into a 90 YD TD. I don't know how many of those there are in the NFL.

Anyway, what I liked about Finley was his short area explosion. He seemed to really accelerate in and out of cuts. For a guy that size, I think that skill makes him very hard to cover. James JOnes is liek that too. He's not a burner in a straight line, but he's big and he accelerates really hard out of cuts. That's the explosion that seems to make separation. I also think it's rare that real tall guys have that short area burst. It's a combination that I think would be make a real mismatch in the NFL.

ND72
02-24-2008, 06:04 PM

Carlson catches the ball like a basketball player, with his hands away from his body. Probably because he was a big time basketball player in high school and was on the Notre Dame varsity basketball team as a Freshman (didn't play but a few minutes). However, because of his basketball background he has very good feet and balance. Catching is very natural and easy for him, using just his hands. He catches on the run very well, and catches throws that are not on target. I have seen most of his games the last two seasons, but I don't pay attention to how well a TE blocks other than on an occasional play. However, my general impression is that he played quite physical, when needed.

I think he would be a nice fit for the Packers, but not in the first round. I doubt he will be that much of an impact player. Just a good steady one. I suspect there will be a more "impactful" (ie higher ranked) player available in the first round.

Oh, I agree there. Carlson would be a nice 2nd round pick, but I don't know if he'll still be there when we pick in the 2nd round.

Patler
02-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Oh, I agree there. Carlson would be a nice 2nd round pick, but I don't know if he'll still be there when we pick in the 2nd round.

I think he (or another one of the TEs everyone says are so closely matched) might be available for the Packers in the second round. I think they can wait until then, and probably get a Carlson-like TE, if not Carlson himself.

Only 60 players will be off the board when GB picks in the second. If there really are 4 or 5 roughly equivalent TEs in this draft, I suspect one will be available. How many GMs would pass up the 3rd or 4th best player at any position for the 5th best TE? Probably not a lot of them.

b bulldog
02-24-2008, 07:45 PM
TT may :lol:

ND72
02-24-2008, 09:03 PM

I think he (or another one of the TEs everyone says are so closely matched) might be available for the Packers in the second round. I think they can wait until then, and probably get a Carlson-like TE, if not Carlson himself.

Only 60 players will be off the board when GB picks in the second. If there really are 4 or 5 roughly equivalent TEs in this draft, I suspect one will be available. How many GMs would pass up the 3rd or 4th best player at any position for the 5th best TE? Probably not a lot of them.

It is a good point, but I think the past few years you've seen teams stretching at some positions and TE has seemed to be an area teams are stretching on a bit. I donno, I think we can get a quality TE in round 2 if we want...but who knows where TT is at. He might actually think Donald Lee & Tory Humphrey are our answers. I'm not pretending to understand anything Thompson does in the draft, and it seems we do better that way :lol: :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
02-24-2008, 10:43 PM
I like that Finley ran a poor 40.

So, he isn't a good blocker, he's undersized, and he's slow?

Joemailman
02-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Different draft sites seem to be all over the map on Carlson. I've seen him rated anywhere from 1st to 13th among TE's. Some think he's an excellent all-around TE, while others think he lacks the playmaking ability to be anything more than serviceable. I do think the Packers can get a very good TE on the 2nd, or even the 3rd round.

Iron Mike
04-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Bumpty-bump bump. :P

rbaloha1
04-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Forget the 40 time. This dude is explosive with great YAC.

What was Keith Jackson's 40 time? Irrelevant. Maybe not fast initially off the line of scrimmage.

The next Keith Jackson.

TT is compiling an amazing group of playmakers for the next 3-5 years. Just amazing.

KYPack
04-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Nice bump, IM.

Good call, Justin. You are covered for some of your goofier other stuff.

I wudda taken wither of those boys in the 3rd.

Liked Carlson, Finley might be the bigger star.

mission
04-27-2008, 04:29 PM
im calling it right now so i can bump this later...

finley is the steal of OUR draft... guy is gonna be a beast. i like his cockiness... we NEED to have some of those guys on our team. it's fuckin football and if you dont understand that, you just never played ball before.

i was so excited to see this... red zone wet dream... he sits in zones amazingly

Packnut
04-27-2008, 05:19 PM
im calling it right now so i can bump this later...

finley is the steal of OUR draft... guy is gonna be a beast. i like his cockiness... we NEED to have some of those guys on our team. it's fuckin football and if you dont understand that, you just never played ball before.

i was so excited to see this... red zone wet dream... he sits in zones amazingly

I agree. He is the steal of the draft. Some here have no clue just how much potential this guy has. Had he stayed he's easily a top 10 pick and first TE taken in next years draft.

He can stretch the field and is a great end zone target. Still very young and will be able to add muscle. I'm really looking forward to our 2 TE set. Lee and Mr Finley can do some serious damage............

Iron Mike
04-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Here's Jermismatch pissing off the Oklahoma crowd:

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/48/482716.jpg

Noodle
04-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Forget the 40 time. This dude is explosive with great YAC.

What was Keith Jackson's 40 time? Irrelevant. Maybe not fast initially off the line of scrimmage.

The next Keith Jackson.

TT is compiling an amazing group of playmakers for the next 3-5 years. Just amazing.

Keith Jackson ran a 4.67 40. He had great speed, especially considering that was in 1988, and was just a superior athlete coming out of college, plus a nasty blocker. I know, I was a Husker fan, and that fricker just killed us.

This kid doesn't strike me as being in Keith's league. He doesn't make guys miss, and I didn't see him doing that cool, it-too-eight-guys-to-bring-him-down thing that great TEs can do in college.

I do like the way Finley catches the ball, and I think he'll be more than servicable.

But he ain't no Keith Jackson.

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 08:49 PM
I agree on Keith Jackson. Packer fans remember him at the end of his career when he was past his prime. Jackson was a stud in his prime, and would've put up monster numbers in today's NFL.

I like Finley. He is something of a risk, because he really wasn't that productive in college. However, the guy's size and acceleration will make him tough to cover...as JH pointed out. He can't block worth a lick, but he could become an elite receiver if he pans out.

Good call JH.

KYPack
04-27-2008, 09:00 PM
I agree on Keith Jackson. Packer fans remember him at the end of his career when he was past his prime. Jackson was a stud in his prime, and would've put up monster numbers in today's NFL.

I like Finley. He is something of a risk, because he really wasn't that productive in college. However, the guy's size and acceleration will make him tough to cover...as JH pointed out. He can't block worth a lick, but he could become an elite receiver if he pans out.

Good call JH.

Agreed Leap.

This kid isn't in KJ's league, but who is?

He is the perfect toy for MM and Philbin. These kids are coming into a candy store for recievers. We may well have an offense next to none
in '08.

If both these kids at TE and WR get in the flow, it'll be a DC's nightmare.

I understand the kid can't block, but all they really want from the pass set TE's is the routes. The 3 downs, block for the run and do the routes kind of TE is a thing of the past. Everybody wants Dallas Clark guys.

Finley is that kind of player.

b bulldog
04-27-2008, 09:08 PM
PFT.com actually got one right

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Good call JH!

b bulldog
04-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Not a big surprise, the guy noted after his workouts that the Packers were following him around all day and he even thought he would be a Packer.

Tarlam!
04-28-2008, 10:08 AM
This guy aint getting picked.

Hahahaahahah. You fuck - he got picked. There were like 1000 guys we didn't pick, where your quote would have held. We only picked 9 guys. The one guy outta 1000 is the 1/9 you say we don't pick.

Fuck I love being your mate! You fuck!!

Zool
04-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Are you trying to sweet talk Mad for the Poster game? You 2 sharing a room?

Tarlam!
04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Are you trying to sweet talk Mad for the Poster game? You 2 sharing a room?

No, but we share a love for beautiful WI born women, especially if they are up to punching us in the face.

Tarlam!
04-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Edit

Fritz
04-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Good call JH!

This part? "like a dog rapist on a three year old rotwieler."

JH how long did it take you to come up with that? I laughed and laughed when I re-read that, but where'd you come up with "dog rapist"? And if someone were a dog rapist, would that person really have an easy time with a three year old rotweiler?

Wouldn't you be more likely to rape, like, Paris Hilton's dog? Or a friendly, slobbering labrador retriever?

Noodle
04-29-2008, 02:26 PM
So Fritzy, I take it that you've been sizing up various members of the canine community for bumpin' uglies potential?

b bulldog
04-29-2008, 08:54 PM
heard on the radio today an interview with a coach from Austin and he remarked that he really needs to grow up and start wearing protection. He already has 2 kids from two different women and when asked why he doesn't use a condem, he said they don't make them big enough :oops: The guy also sted that he has gobs of athletic ability and he could be a Gates type player or a guy who constantly gets in trouble and is out of the league in a few years.

MadtownPacker
04-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Good call JH!

JH how long did it take you to come up with that? I laughed and laughed when I re-read that, but where'd you come up with "dog rapist"? And if someone were a dog rapist, would that person really have an easy time with a three year old rotweiler?

Wouldn't you be more likely to rape, like, Paris Hilton's dog? Or a friendly, slobbering labrador retriever?This is not from JH's imagination. Do a search on this in the Romper Room. It actually happened.

Fritz
04-30-2008, 06:07 AM
Good call JH!

Wouldn't you be more likely to rape, like, Paris Hilton's dog? Or a friendly, slobbering labrador retriever?This is not from JH's imagination. Do a search on this in the Romper Room. It actually happened.

Dang. And I thought JH just had an active imagination.

RashanGary
04-30-2008, 06:43 AM
Sorry to disappoint. If I was that imaginative, I'd probably be in prison :)