PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on Andrew Brandt

HarveyWallbangers
02-23-2008, 12:00 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=721255

Apparently, Thompson and McCarthy didn't really like working with Andrew Brandt, and Thompson fired him. Apparently, Thompson felt he was arrogant and not a team player. The article states that Thompson has only fired one other employee in the organization (Mike Sherman) and the amount of turnover in the organization is remarkably low. It also states that Thompson, being a former stockbroker, was heavily involved with the cap management. There was also praise of the job Brandt did for the Packers.

Kiwon
02-23-2008, 07:08 AM
Make that, "fired just one employee of substance: coach Mike Sherman."
.................................................. ......................................

It's kind of surprising given Green Bay's tranquil reputation as an organization and Brandt's reputation as highly skilled in his responsibilities. Bob Harlan was a big fan.

However, the bottom line is that TT's the head guy. When he's got a successful team on his hands he can make heads roll. When the team crashes and burns it will be his head that will roll.

He gets to pick the players on his administration team and if someone isn't down with the program then he runs the risk of being forced out. It is a business after all.

Andrew Brandt will have other opportunities to stay in the NFL if he wants it, only not with the best organization there is - the Green Bay Packers.

Fritz
02-23-2008, 07:36 AM
If the new guy is just as smart and talented and is less arrogant, so much the better for Green Bay.

RashanGary
02-23-2008, 07:55 AM
As 1265 Turns continues.

oooh oooh, I'll fill in the blanks. . .

I'd guess Thompson is fairly involved in salary cap management and Brandt was accustomed to doing it his way. Brandt, being a very intelligent fellow, had a little attitude (similar to the way Sherman was before he got fired).

Now Murphy comes in. Murphy is another sharp guy with a high level of education (similar to Brandt). Thompson and Murphy come from football/financial backrounds. They start to talk about philosophy and they find out they have very similar ideas. They start getting the feeling that they have the whole world in their hands. Excitement runs rampad at 1265.

At some point, Thompson lets Murphy know that Brandt isn't fully on board with the whole evil plan. Murphy shrugs with all the confidence that comes with being the most powerfull president in football and says matter of factly, "fuck it, fire him". Thompson, not wanting to shake the boat wonders aloud "wow, that easy, huh"

Next day, Thompson walks into Brandts office, thanks him for service, but lets him know that he's no longer welcome.

The end

:)

And another chapter of As 1265 Turns begins.

Fritz
02-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Could be. Could be.

I kinda like the triumvirate so far. Murphy, Thompson, McCarthy.

GBRulz
02-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Brandt = arrogant. I agree 100%. Ask anyone in this city that knows him and you'll probably get the same response.

Bretsky
02-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Right now TT is in charge of getting this Franchise a Super Bowl; if he had issues with Brandt than Brandt needed to go.

There are a lot of very talented people in this area; I'm sure we found a replacement that will be just as good.

Kiwon
02-23-2008, 09:42 AM
The arrogance angle is funny....

Stanford and Georgetown Law School grad, academically trained and highly experienced in finance, negotiation and contract law versus an ex-football player from Southern Methodist who once worked as a stockbroker.

Sounds like a major league cultural clash to me. Gee, I wonder who respected whom more when they both got involved in the financial nitty-gritty of a player's contract?

Given that "Pittsburgh macho" MM was apparently on TT's side, I bet that they took just a little satisfaction in showing Brandt the door.

Fritz
02-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Wonder what Ted said:

"Get out of here, you snotty Ivy-League gay guy!"

"Just because I went to Southern Methodist don't mean I ain't smart, too!"

"Just because you can negoitate a contract doesn't make you better than me!"

Kiwon
02-23-2008, 06:19 PM
:D :D :D

Stanford and Georgetown aren't the Ivy league, they're more like the money league.

When they disagreed, Brandt was probably more like, "Don't you have some game film to watch or something? You just sign the big bodies. Leave it to me to decide what to pay them."

Tyrone Bigguns
02-23-2008, 06:46 PM

Stanford and Georgetown Law School grad, academically trained and highly experienced in finance, negotiation and contract law versus an ex-football player from Southern Methodist who once worked as a stockbroker.

Sounds like a major league cultural clash to me. Gee, I wonder who respected whom more when they both got involved in the financial nitty-gritty of a player's contract?

Given that "Pittsburgh macho" MM was apparently on TT's side, I bet that they took just a little satisfaction in showing Brandt the door.

Do you just act stupid or is this really you.

TT went to SMU as a football player..which at the time was a good football school. Degree in Business Admin.

Andy Brandt went to Stanford as a TENNIS PLAYER. Degree in American Studies.

Athlete vs. Athlete. Same.

Academics...i think we ALL know which one is more rigorous.

And, attending GT law school after Stanford if we are talking strictly academically is a step down.

Then he was an AGENT. Yep, he was really a genius lawyer. :roll:

After working a few years as an agent, he was a GM in the WLAF.

Back to agenting and teaching law.

At not point has he ever shown any great academic or intellectual resources.

Noodle
02-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Here's a theory -- maybe it was Brandt who pushed the hardass angle with Walker, and maybe it was Brandt who acted the prick toward Moss, flashing all that negativity that Randy talked about in a pre-SB interview.

If that's the case, then all power to TT for deciding that Brandt just was not all that.

You also have to figure that neither TT nor Murph wanted a possibly disgruntled Brandt around after he got rejected for Murph's job as The Man.

Partial
02-25-2008, 12:58 AM

Do you just act stupid or is this really you.

TT went to SMU as a football player..which at the time was a good football school. Degree in Business Admin.

Andy Brandt went to Stanford as a TENNIS PLAYER. Degree in American Studies.

Athlete vs. Athlete. Same.

Academics...i think we ALL know which one is more rigorous.

And, attending GT law school after Stanford if we are talking strictly academically is a step down.

Then he was an AGENT. Yep, he was really a genius lawyer. :roll:

After working a few years as an agent, he was a GM in the WLAF.

Back to agenting and teaching law.

At not point has he ever shown any great academic or intellectual resources.

I bet he has accomplished more than you have. You're essentially bad mouthing a guy who went to Standford, then to Georgetown, who was a vice president for the Packers. I think its ridiculous for one how you can say he hasn't shown any academic or intellectual resources. Clearly, you have some screwed up standards, and unless you're making 400-500k a year in GB, Wisconsin (1mil+ in Phoenix or Scottsdale), I am thinking Brandt is doing quite a bit better than you and therefore you should probably rethink your statement.

I am very curious as to what great academic success you have had that you feel the need to put someone very successful down.

Kiwon
02-25-2008, 02:51 AM
Don't sweat it, Partial.

Just remember that this is coming from someone who doesn't know whether to use the men's room or the women's room.

A man by day and a woman after 10 pm.

This jerk owes you an apology long before he owes me one.

CaliforniaCheez
02-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Some of you miss the political intrigue and soap opera aspects of this situation.

Suppose

Brandt in interviewing for Haelan's job was asked what he would improve?

What if Brandt described some problem areas with the GM position and candidly described ways that he thought it should be modified.

What if somone on the board then asked Thompson about these "problem areas" and tells Thompson what Brandt said in the interview.

Thompson boots Brandt.

KYPack
02-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Some of you miss the political intrigue and soap opera aspects of this situation.

Suppose

Brandt in interviewing for Haelan's job was asked what he would improve?

What if Brandt described some problem areas with the GM position and candidly described ways that he thought it should be modified.

What if somone on the board then asked Thompson about these "problem areas" and tells Thompson what Brandt said in the interview.

Thompson boots Brandt.

Good post CC.

There is a real good chance some of this is in play.

Brandt would make statments like those. He is also a good guy to get out of the organization.