PDA

View Full Version : GB - Houston Trade?

Fred's Slacks
02-23-2008, 07:56 AM
I was just watching the combine coverage on NFLN and they were showing the draft order and they had us at pick 18 and pick 30. Did I miss a trade or something? Houston was the team that had the 18th pick. Did Sherman convince them to give the 18th pick for CW?

They aren't saying anything about it and I can't find anywhere on line saying anything about it. I am guessing it was a mistake but wanted to see if anyone here has heard anything.

Fritz
02-23-2008, 07:59 AM
It's pretty early to be swapping picks, since teams generally haven't yet focused on their absolute top guys. I'd guess it's a mistake. Now, if Shermy were still with Houston, I might be thinking there'd be some leeway for that idea. But then again, wouldn't Shermy be more likely to convince his GM to move up and give up some picks so he could draft a sluggish defensive tackle or (you have to say it, you have to) a punter?

Fred's Slacks
02-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Oops. I forgot Sherman is at A&M. :oops:

Chubbyhubby
02-23-2008, 10:23 AM
I was just watching the combine coverage on NFLN and they were showing the draft order and they had us at pick 18 and pick 30. Did I miss a trade or something? Houston was the team that had the 18th pick. Did Sherman convince them to give the 18th pick for CW?

They aren't saying anything about it and I can't find anywhere on line saying anything about it. I am guessing it was a mistake but wanted to see if anyone here has heard anything.

I saw the same thing. I came online to see if anyone else had any info. If it stands we have alot of leverage. TT is changing his tune. They must be looking for a big name in this draft. I will look into it.

RashanGary
02-23-2008, 10:25 AM
WOO HOO!!

The Draft is heating up!!

Charles Woodson
02-23-2008, 10:54 AM

damn i thought you meant woodson at first, almost gave me a heart attack

Bretsky
02-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Just a mistake by the NFL channel

pittstang5
02-23-2008, 10:56 AM
I saw this last night too. It's gotta be a mistake.

Calm down people, we don't have two picks in the first.

Fritz
02-23-2008, 12:16 PM
It's a mistake. Teams don't usually swap this stuff til very near the draft when they know their board.

I do wonder though how people here would feel it TT traded the number 30 plus his second found to move up ten spots or something.

I'd get a bit nervous, I think.

twoseven
02-23-2008, 12:28 PM
It's a mistake. Teams don't usually swap this stuff til very near the draft when they know their board.

I do wonder though how people here would feel it TT traded the number 30 plus his second found to move up ten spots or something.

I'd get a bit nervous, I think.
I don't know, if there were an impact player (like RBs Stewart or Mendenhall, DE Gholston, LB Rivers) sitting there I wouldn't mind it. Though I think our 1 and 2 just to move up ten spots seems a ridiculous trade. Our 1st and a third or fourth seems more realistic. We don't have a bunch of holes to fill, somebody from this year's or recent year's drafts are going to be cut to make room, no need to horde picks, I'd rather see a trade up than down. But that's just me.

Fritz
02-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Yeah, but twoseven, if you look at those trade value charts that teams use as a bible, it'd take GB's second to move up ten spots. You aren't going move up ten spots in exchange for your first and third - that's an end-of-the-round third, man.

Maybe if Felix Jones is sitting there I'd go, but then again I don't think he quite fits this zone thing anyway. So I don't know. I've concluded I have a very shallow knowledge of the draft and I'm better off just applauding when TT drafts some guy from Arkansas Tech in the second round.

twoseven
02-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah, but twoseven, if you look at those trade value charts that teams use as a bible, it'd take GB's second to move up ten spots. You aren't going move up ten spots in exchange for your first and third - that's an end-of-the-round third, man.

Maybe if Felix Jones is sitting there I'd go, but then again I don't think he quite fits this zone thing anyway. So I don't know. I've concluded I have a very shallow knowledge of the draft and I'm better off just applauding when TT drafts some guy from Arkansas Tech in the second round.
Look at your own avatar, man. It's f-ing TT, he don't need no stinkin' charts, just his jedi mind tricks that he can use on the Texans to get their 18 and make them feel like they got a good deal.

twoseven
02-23-2008, 12:42 PM

BTW, I think Flix Jones is there at #30, no trade necessary.

Fritz
02-23-2008, 12:45 PM
You're right about TT. He might be able to fleece the Texans, though I'd feel more comfortable about that happening if Shermy was still there in Houston.

As for Jones, this is where it gets sticky. He doesn't seem to fit that zone thing, the one cut and go. Yet I look at that dude's numbers - he averaged I think over eight yards per carry - and I drool to think of him running in a GB uni. But maybe he would suck in this scheme. I don't know. But I'd have a hard time passing if he was still there at the thirty spot. I don't think he will be, though.

twoseven
02-23-2008, 12:56 PM
You're right about TT. He might be able to fleece the Texans, though I'd feel more comfortable about that happening if Shermy was still there in Houston.

As for Jones, this is where it gets sticky. He doesn't seem to fit that zone thing, the one cut and go. Yet I look at that dude's numbers - he averaged I think over eight yards per carry - and I drool to think of him running in a GB uni. But maybe he would suck in this scheme. I don't know. But I'd have a hard time passing if he was still there at the thirty spot. I don't think he will be, though.
MacFadden, Stewart, Mendenhall, then Jones. That's a lot of RBs to clear in the first round considering who actually needs an RB in the first round more than they need other spots filled. Reminds me of Maroney dropping down to the Pats at 21 and Addai to the Colts at 30 in 2006. Personally I think we can do better impact-wise than Jones at #30, I see Jones as a second round pick for someone.

PackerBlues
02-23-2008, 01:03 PM
When I first read this post, my first thought was that it sounds to good to be true. My second thought was what position are the Packers so set at, that they would be able to give up a player that would be worth a first round pick?

All along, I have been kind of hoping that the reason for the franchise tag on Williams was simply so that Thompson could get a draft pick out of him, but then again, aren't there other lesser tenders that Thompson could have placed on Williams to simply get a draft pick for him?

Again, it is kind of nice to see Thompson keeping Williams around, for depth if for no other reason, but I still do not see him as being all that important to the team.

red
02-23-2008, 02:37 PM
yup, i wouldn't understand why we would trade up. we really have no glaring needs with anyone in the draft that sticks out right now that would warrant a trade up.

plus, why would we make the trade now, before the combine? no one has a clue where the players will fall into place right now. it has to be a mistake

KYPack
02-23-2008, 04:02 PM
When I first read this post, my first thought was that it sounds to good to be true. My second thought was what position are the Packers so set at, that they would be able to give up a player that would be worth a first round pick?

All along, I have been kind of hoping that the reason for the franchise tag on Williams was simply so that Thompson could get a draft pick out of him, but then again, aren't there other lesser tenders that Thompson could have placed on Williams to simply get a draft pick for him?

Again, it is kind of nice to see Thompson keeping Williams around, for depth if for no other reason, but I still do not see him as being all that important to the team.

No Blue. The tender offers that get you higher picks are for RFA's.

UFA it's the non-exclusive Franchise tag. That gets you 2 first rounders if somebody signs your guy. I don't believe that's ever happned, (nor will it IMHO). The Exclusive Franchise tag means nobody can negotiate with your guy. Only Oakland used that one this year.

PackerBlues
02-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks for explaining that KY. :)

So after putting the franchise tag on Williams, the Pack can still trade him for less than 'two first round pics', can't they? I would be fine with keeping Williams, but I still kind of wonder if Thompson might try to trade Williams off for another player or for draft picks......... :?: :?: :?:

KYPack
02-23-2008, 04:37 PM

So after putting the franchise tag on Williams, the Pack can still trade him for less than 'two first round pics', can't they? I would be fine with keeping Williams, but I still kind of wonder if Thompson might try to trade Williams off for another player or for draft picks......... :?: :?: :?:

They could trade Williams for a 7th round pick if they want to.

The 1st rounders are the compensation that would go to the Pack if another team signs Corey. What you trade a player for is the teams business.

twoseven
02-23-2008, 04:40 PM

I thought they could trade him for anything they wanted now. He's on a one year contract for 6.25mil. The risk I would imagine is he becomes a one year rental for the team you trade him to, unless they can offer him a longterm deal he would agree to. So, how much do you want to trade for a guy you may not be able to sign?

Personally, I wouldn't mind TT throwing some trade offers at the KC Chiefs for Jared Allen, see what they would want for him. He sounds like he'll be the most difficult of all the tagged guys for his team to re-sign. He demanded a trade last year, did not want to return, so his F-tag definitely riled him up I would imagine. The Chiefs GM is known for being a ball buster when it comes to contract negotiations. Don't suppose they would want KGB -or- Jenkins and/or a pick or two??

PackerBlues
02-23-2008, 04:57 PM
interesting thoughts twoseven. I could see KGB going in a trade and perhaps Thompson would even part with a draft pick for a trade like that.

Bretsky
02-23-2008, 05:04 PM
interesting thoughts twoseven. I could see KGB going in a trade and perhaps Thompson would even part with a draft pick for a trade like that.

Can't see KBG being involved in a deal
I don't think many teams will want the end of that contract.

twoseven
02-23-2008, 05:05 PM
I think most would think trading KGB, his pass rush only abilities, and his hefty salary is impossible, and it probably is considering he'll be a FA soon anyway. But the Chiefs are now throwing in 9+ million for a guy in Allen that may leave them with nothing next year, unless they tag him again and again. That's why I mentioned a freshly signed and very affordable Jenkins and a pick(s). This is all fantasyland, though, I doubt trading for a tagged Allen is on anyone's mind other than my own.

twoseven
02-23-2008, 05:09 PM
I think your odds are better trding way up for an impact DE if you want a Kampy on both sides anyway, rather than trading a handful of things THEN a huge contract for a guy that has had problems with the bottle. Like I said, fantasyland.