PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys sign Pro Bowl Linebacker

Brando19
02-23-2008, 11:18 AM
The Zach Thomas sweepstakes are over.

The seven-time Pro Bowl linebacker, who was released by the Dolphins last week, has agreed to a deal with the Dallas Cowboys. Thomas flew to Indianapolis on Friday to meet with owner Jerry Jones and president Stephen Jones, who were there for the NFL combine.
The move is somewhat shocking in that, at one point, Thomas had considered canceling his meeting with the Cowboys after meeting earlier this week with the Patriots and Saints.

Thomas remains in Indianapolis with his new employers and could take a physical as early as Saturday.

Thomas' family members are lifelong Cowboys fans, and that may have played a part in the decision.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7831916?MSNHPHMA

twoseven
02-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Bobby Carpenter being absolutely worthless, and a wasted first round pick, probably made this possible.

HarveyWallbangers
02-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Seems strange. Carpenter notwithstanding, Dallas is loaded at LB with Demarcus Ware, Bradie James, Greg Ellis, Akin Ayodele, Kevin Burnett, and Anthony Spencer.

Brando19
02-23-2008, 11:27 AM
A league source tells us that the contract that eventually will be signed by linebacker Zach Thomas with the Cowboys carries a $1 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary in 2008. Thomas also can earn up to $1 million in incentives.

Though it's technically a multi-year deal, the structure will make it essentially a one-year relationship.

Per the source, Thomas was very intrigued by the offers to join the Patriots and the Saints. In the end, though, he decided to return to his home state of Texas. Another factor was his belief that he will be a good fit within the Dallas defense.

Thomas played in only five games last season due to a couple of concussions. It remains to be seen whether these problems will return for him in 2008.
www.profootballtalk.com

Bretsky
02-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Addition of Zach Thomas the two first round draft picks; a good start for Dallas

Brando19
02-23-2008, 11:31 AM
I hate Dallas as much as I hate New England. I hope they blow their first round picks this year and we blow them out at Lambeau.

GBRulz
02-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Addition of Zach Thomas the two first round draft picks; a good start for Dallas

as long as Romo keeps dating Jessica Simpson, we'll have nothing to worry about.

Brando19
02-23-2008, 11:38 AM

as long as Romo keeps dating Jessica Simpson, we'll have nothing to worry about.

Rumor has it they're getting married. YAY!

GBRulz
02-23-2008, 11:43 AM
oh no, that's not good! A hollywood marriage usually means they split up not long after! 8-)

b bulldog
02-23-2008, 12:11 PM
A good team just got better.

Fritz
02-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Yeah, maybe. But that's such a fan-like way to do business, which I guess makes sense because Jerry Jones seems to run his team like a fan. Sign a big name and everybody makes you the favorite to win it all. Woo-hoo!

The only part of this that makes it good for Dallas is that it's a one year deal.

b bulldog
02-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Dallas wants McFadden and maybe some of these LB's will be used in a trade.

b bulldog
02-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Could you imagine McFadden and Barber, if they were to keep Barber, in the same backfield?

Fritz
02-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Does Dallas have a top five pick? That's what I think it'll take to get McFadden. How would they be able to trade up that far if they don't? Trade Demarcus Ware, maybe?

oregonpackfan
02-23-2008, 04:49 PM

Do you think Romo might take up with the lobbyist John McCain allegedly was involved with? :)

KYPack
02-23-2008, 05:22 PM
oh no, that's not good! A hollywood marriage usually means they split up not long after! 8-)

Get wid it, Lady!

If it bothers Romo, it tickles me pink!

packers11
02-23-2008, 05:29 PM
A good team just got better.

You make me laugh... A lot of cowboy fans I know hate that they picked him up because he lacks speed... The cowboys already have a shitload of LB/DE hybrids, this move makes no sense to me... He doesn't have the speed and will be like a Teddy (I can't cover) Bruschi...

All this week when it was rumored that the pats were going to get them, the radio was blowing up how they pats dont need another slow LB but the only thing going for him was that he was smart...

I doubt he even makes the cowboys starting roster spot... He will be a situational player (in my opinion)...

quote from rotoworld.com

"Thomas is not guaranteed to start in front of Bradie James or Akin Ayodele, but he'll be part of a solid interior rotation for the Cowboys deep linebacker group. Coach Wade Phillips indicated he'd use Thomas like Donnie Edwards, meaning if Thomas starts, Ayodele will be sent to the bench. Thomas' tackle numbers will go down, but Dallas probably offered him the best combination of money and possible wins."

gbpackfan
02-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Wow, I am shocked at all the Zach Thomas love. Classic example of a big name free agent whose career is basically over. At this point in his career, all 3 of our starting LBs are better then him. Yeah, ALL 3! He is injury prone and should have hung it up already. Another concussion and it won't be his decision to make.

I do agree with one thing posted in here. Bobby Carpenter has been A HUGE BUST! I'm glad we got the "other" buckeye LB!

Zool
02-23-2008, 05:53 PM
I dont recall him ever playing in a 3-4 in Miami. How could he possibly know if he's a good fit?

b bulldog
02-23-2008, 07:01 PM
I think Thomas at worst will be a solid backup and that makes you better as a team.

KYPack
02-23-2008, 09:41 PM
I dont recall him ever playing in a 3-4 in Miami. How could he possibly know if he's a good fit?

The system Miami played sheltered their LB's. A Young Zach could play a 3-4, but Thomas now? I agree that he's a concussion away from permanent harm.

He had two last season, one from game action and another in a car wreck.

Time to hang 'em up, Zach.

woodbuck27
02-24-2008, 01:16 PM

We're hearing up here they will actually wed.

Then I see here out somewhere with some other homely dude so maybe the Jessica Simpson factor will go away. I too hope they hold onto one another like candy sugar to and apple. :)

The Leaper
02-25-2008, 07:56 AM
I think Thomas at worst will be a solid backup and that makes you better as a team.

I disagree.

As a backup, your worth is usually more dictated by how well you can provide support in other areas...such as special teams. This is especially true for LBs, who have the speed/tackling skill to be very effective on coverage units. Thomas won't even think about going on the field for special teams with his history of head trauma.

Thomas also is a major injury/stamina concern at this point due to age/head knocks. I agree he will be a solid backup LB if they need him...but he has no upside and merely eats up a roster spot for someone else to develop.

Granted, the Cowboys really don't subscribe to the "building from within" strategy...they take numerous risks in free agency, and the only reason they are as good as they are today is due to Parcells. That team will only get worse from here out.

b bulldog
02-25-2008, 08:50 PM
The ST's point is a great point but in a 3/4, he'll be able to play bioth interior positions and be a strong backup if he isn't starting. he also should provide good leadership. I think he had a tendency to wear down and even if he is a starter in Dallas, I don't think he will wear down as he did in Miami cause the Dolphins offense could never stay on the field.

Deputy Nutz
02-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Who says Thomas is even going to make it out of training camp? Concussions are now a very solid reason why players are cutting careers short and retiring. Thomas has been concussed twice last year alone, not to mention all the hits and concussions that went unreported. I think at best he is a back up that offers little in regards to play on the field.