PDA

View Full Version : Who will remain a starter???

packers11
02-23-2008, 01:20 PM
With the off-season going by as slow as ever... I was thinking who on the packers team has the best chance of being replaced during the off-season... Lets look at the three positions in which there could be an upgrade or a draft choice stepping in...

#1 - RG - Colledge/Coston have both shown some ability to play this position but sometimes you just wonder why the hell they are still starting. This is the most LIKELY position that a new player will be brought in to compete with these two...

#2 - nickel CB - Blackmon / Williams have shown what they are capable of doing... Blackmon is always hurt so the fans and coaches haven't been able to see much of him at corner back and Williams was a decent fill in but could easily be replaced in the draft or FA...

#3 - FS - Collins is an average player with great physical abilities... Even though he is dumb as a rock most people hope he can improve and become an impact type of player... A lot of people wanted to see more time out of Aaron Rouse take his spot; and this could be an interesting camp battle.

The chances of a new starter in each position go in the following order (1-3)... People may ask; what about the TE position... Yes I know that Bubba just got cut, but if T.T. goes after anyone (FA/Draft) that player will be behind LEE the whole season unless he has an AMAZING training camp...

Remember... We were a couple plays away from going to the Superbowl... This team does not need a major overhaul (aka 2005), but just a few missing pieces to the puzzle...

twoseven
02-23-2008, 01:27 PM
My guess is we sign Scott to fill the G spot, draft our nickel in the first or second round, and Rouse is just waiting to send Collins to the bench.

RashanGary
02-23-2008, 01:31 PM
I voted FS but it easily could be CB.

For some reason I think our guards are going to remain. If it's not Colledge it will be Coston, but it'll be one of the usual suspects IMO. Maybe someone develops, but I don't see a rookie playing better and I don't see Thompson getting a UFA.

Iron Mike
02-23-2008, 02:36 PM
This team does not need a major overhaul.

Isn't that what Ray Rhodes said in '99?? :roll:

red
02-23-2008, 02:40 PM
G for me. i think blackmon will finally stay healthy and look like the great player he is. and i'd be shocked if we have a new safety to start next year.

the guard spot has room for improvement though

packers11
02-23-2008, 05:07 PM
What ever happened to Moll??? Wasn't he improving in training camp last year??? He dropped off the radar very fast...

KYPack
02-23-2008, 05:15 PM
What ever happened to Moll??? Wasn't he improving in training camp last year??? He dropped off the radar very fast...

His "improvement" was mainly newspaper hype. Moll is a good guy to have around. He's a club fighter he gets right in there and battles, but he's not a starter. Can play RG, RT and probably other jobs in a pinch, but he's not an NFL starter.

RashanGary
02-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Can play RG, RT and probably other jobs in a pinch, but he's not an NFL starter.

What makes you say this, KY?

He came in as a rookie who was severly underdeveloped physically and played about as well as Spitz and Colledge that year.

Last year he had that nagging stinger but he really looked bigger, leaner and stronger before his injury (which was almost immediately in TC).

Still, how can you call him junk just yet. He's a guy that I think can develop. They say he's a real fast learner.

You seem to be an Oline guy though. Maybe he just looked like shit to you.

KYPack
02-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Spitz was the starting RG at the end of the season.

College was a weak starter at LG.

Either on of 'em could be replaced.

I don't think we sign any UFA's after tagging CW.

We could do anything. After next year, you could see anyone of those 3 stooges starting or cut. It's all a fucking puzzle at G.

Harlan Huckleby
02-23-2008, 06:00 PM
the nickle cornerback changes every year.

ND72
02-24-2008, 12:45 PM
#3 - FS - Collins is an average player with great physical abilities... Even though he is dumb as a rock most people hope he can improve and become an impact type of player... A lot of people wanted to see more time out of Aaron Rouse take his spot; and this could be an interesting camp battle.

If we have questions with Collins, we have just as many with Bigby. The only difference is Bigby hits hard, and you see that, but that has a lot to do with where they place him on defense as almost a 4th LB. Bigby is our worse DB in coverage and is a huge liability there. I still think Rouse will take his spot before he takes Collins spot.

Bretsky
02-24-2008, 12:51 PM

If we have questions with Collins, we have just as many with Bigby. The only difference is Bigby hits hard, and you see that, but that has a lot to do with where they place him on defense as almost a 4th LB. Bigby is our worse DB in coverage and is a huge liability there. I still think Rouse will take his spot before he takes Collins spot.

Hey ND,

Get in that Tight End thread and give us your synposis of how good of a pro that ND tight end will be.
\

Cheers,
B

packers11
02-24-2008, 01:42 PM
ND, Bigby has shown major improvement throughout the year; this was his first year as a starter!

Collins has been starting for three years and he still isn't even close to being an impact player...

Rouse caused more turnovers than Collins and he only played for 2 games...

ND72
02-24-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm not arguing with that....But, Bigby allowed the highest completion percentage (92.7% Packer Insider) than any other DB. He also had the most penalties.

packers11
02-24-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm not arguing with that....But, Bigby allowed the highest completion percentage (92.7% Packer Insider) than any other DB. He also had the most penalties.

I know that Bigby was a liability, but you could see major improvement late in the season and into the playoffs... In the Seattle game they tried to test his pass coverage and he batted the ball down multiple times... In the Giants game I cannot think of a time were he was the fault of poor pass coverage...

I'm just saying, that Bigby will remain a starter because it was his first year and he showed a ton of potential while Collins will be going onto his fourth year showing hes average at best...

oregonpackfan
02-24-2008, 02:18 PM
the nickle cornerback changes every year.

I agree. Though Bush is scappy, he allows many big deep passes over the man he covers. May may find someone else in his place this season.

Patler
02-24-2008, 03:00 PM

In fairness to Bigby, if you want to consider his stats, among all Packer DBs, he also had the most interceptions, the most passes defensed, the most forced fumbles and the most tackles.

The Leaper
02-25-2008, 08:11 AM
I would say the best chance is CB...because the potential disaster waiting to happen with the age of our starters and lack of depth has to be Thompson's most immediate concern.

At least at OG, we have young guys in there who at least have a chance to still improve...and who probably won't get any worse in the short term.

At CB, Harris and Woodson have the potential to see their play drop off a cliff at any time...and they aren't going to get any better than they were in 2007. We have no depth whatsoever behind them.

I also feel like no one we draft at OG would have a great chance of being a solid contributor as a starter in 2008. We could easily find a top backup CB even into the 4th and 5th round.

packers11
02-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Leaper, Woodson is only 31 and still playing at a very high level... Woodson was always known for his speed/instincts on the football... I think he will be a starter for the next 3-4 years because even if he losses a little speed he still will be a very solid corner...

Al Harris on the other hand is 33 and was never known for his speed... If he losses anymore speed it could be a very steep decline... I could see another 2 years out of him at a starting level but his age will catch up to him and it will start to show...

Patler
02-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Leaper, Woodson is only 31 and still playing at a very high level... Woodson was always known for his speed/instincts on the football... I think he will be a starter for the next 3-4 years because even if he losses a little speed he still will be a very solid corner...

Al Harris on the other hand is 33 and was never known for his speed... If he losses anymore speed it could be a very steep decline... I could see another 2 years out of him at a starting level but his age will catch up to him and it will start to show...

I think we will be making excuses for Al Harris in 2008, not wanting to admit he has slipped already.

packers11
02-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Patler he still can play cornerback... He locked most people up all season besides T.O. and Plaxico that one time... If his play declines I'm sure the coaching staff will put woodson on the best wr or switch up their game plan...

I would still take Al Harris right now at the #2 spot, then any other cb playing in the league... I'm not saying his play won't decline, but it hasn't dropped off to were he is not even "solid" at his position...

Lurker64
02-25-2008, 11:32 AM
I think part of the problem is that Green Bay is one of the only teams in the league that pretty much leave their corners on an island on the vast majority of plays. Our defense calls for a whole lot from Harris, and if slips just a little bit more it could be disastrous unless we adapt the scheme.

packers11
02-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Very good point Lurker... I was listening to the radio down here in NE and they said that Asante thrives in the Pats D scheme... If he were to go to a place were they play man on coverage / bump and run; he would be a whole different cornerback. They all thought that if he were to go to a place like GB he would never last (hypothetically speaking, GB would never look at him in the first place)...

Its really hard to play the bump-run scheme like the packers do with the rules so out of your favor...

Al Harris and Charles Woodson led the league in the most 5 yard penalties on D... Its not their fault, the rules favor high scoring games... Teams have to adjust on D...

Patler
02-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Patler he still can play cornerback... He locked most people up all season besides T.O. and Plaxico that one time... If his play declines I'm sure the coaching staff will put woodson on the best wr or switch up their game plan...

I would still take Al Harris right now at the #2 spot, then any other cb playing in the league... I'm not saying his play won't decline, but it hasn't dropped off to were he is not even "solid" at his position...

I disagree. I do not think he played as well this year as last, and I am not just referring to a few games.

Patler
02-25-2008, 11:52 AM
I think part of the problem is that Green Bay is one of the only teams in the league that pretty much leave their corners on an island on the vast majority of plays. Our defense calls for a whole lot from Harris, and if slips just a little bit more it could be disastrous unless we adapt the scheme.

The biggest problem is that Harris can only play that type of coverage. He is not successful playing off of receivers, never really has been. He is also not real good in zones. He fits what the packers ask of him. When he no longer does, he will have to be replaced because he will not fair well if asked to do something else.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-25-2008, 12:03 PM

I disagree. I do not think he played as well this year as last, and I am not just referring to a few games.

I agree with Patler. Harris decline a lot last year compared to the year before. I think next year is his last as a starter.