PDA

View Full Version : Day 3 Combine Wrap

RashanGary
02-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Testing results piled up late in the afternoon as offensive linemen and tight ends completed their workouts and began heading home from the combine.

The combine scene became more crowded as additional waves of players arrived. Quarterbacks, receivers and running backs began working out with bench-press tests. They also took Wonderlic exams. Defensive linemen and linebackers submitted to drug testing and medical exams after arriving Friday. The final two groups, consisting of defensive backs, arrived for check-in today as the first few groups were finishing up.

The NFL provided the following information on the offensive linemen and tight ends who posted the best results in the 3-cone drill, 60-yard shuttle, vertical jump, broad jump and bench press:

3-cone leaders among offensive linemen

Michael Gibson of Cal (7.21), Steven Justice of Wake Forest (7.4), Jake Long of Michigan (7.44), Donald Thomas of Connecticut (7.45), Cody Wallace of Texas A&M (7.45), Corey Clark of Texas A&M (7.47), Andrew Radovich of USC (7.47), Mike Pollak of Arizona State (7.49), Breno Giacomini of Louisville (7.56), Duane Brown of Virginia Tech (7.58), Mike McGlynn of Pitt (7.58) and Jameson Richard of Buffalo (7.58).

3-cone leaders among tight ends

Derek Fine of Kansas (6.8), Dustin Keller of Purdue (6.88), Gary Barnidge of Louisville (6.92), Joseph Haynos of Maryland (6.92), Jacob Tamme of Kentucky (6.99), Craig Stevens of Cal (7.07), Michael Santi of Virginia (7.08).

60-yard shuttle leaders among tight ends

Gary Barnidge of Louisville (11.29), Jacob Tamme of Kentucky (11.51), John Carlson of Notre Dame (11.59), Derek Fine of Kansas (11.59), Dustin Keller of Purdue (11.74) and Craig Stevens of Cal (11.78).

Vertical-jump leaders among offensive linemen

Cody Wallace of Texas A&M (30 1/2), John Sullivan of Notre Dame (30), Heath Benedict of Newberry (28.5), Chad Rinehart of Northern Iowa (28.5), Duane Brown of Virginia Tech (27 1/2), Jake Long of Michigan (27.5), Michael Gibson of Cal (27), Demetrius Bell of Northwestern State (26 1/2), Jameson Richard of Buffalo (26.5) and Jeremy Zuttah of Rutgers (26.5).

Vertical-jump leaders among tight ends

Dustin Keller of Purdue (38), Michael Santi of Virginia (36), Martellus Bennett of Texas A&M (34), Brad Cottam of Tennessee (33), Gary Barnidge of Louisville (31), John Carlson of Notre Dame (30 1/2), Joseph Haynos of Maryland (30 1/2) and Jacob Tamme of Kentucky (30).

Broad-jump leaders among offensive linemen

Cody Wallace of Texas A&M (9 feet, 5 inches), Tyler Polumbus of Colorado (9-4), Branden Albert of Virginia (9-3), Heath Benedict of Newberry (9-2), Michael Gibson of Cal (9-2), Mike Pollak of Arizona State (9-2), Demetrius Bell of Northwestern State (9-1), Carl Nicks of Nebraska (9-1), Breno Giacomini of Louisville (9-0), John Greco of Toledo (9-0), Chilo Rachal of USC (9-0) and Andrew Radovich of USC (9-0).

Broad-jump leaders among tight ends

Dustin Keller of Purdue (10-11), Joseph Haynos of Maryland (10-3), Michael Santi of Virginia (10-1), Gary Barnidge of Lousville (9-9), Martellus Bennett of Texas A&M (9-9), Kellen Davis of Michigan State (9-9) and Jermichael Finley of Texas-Austin (9-8).

Bench-press leaders among offensive linemen

Jake Long of Michigan (37 reps of 225 pounds), Jeremy Zuttah of Rutgers (35), Kirk Barton of Ohio State (34), Michael Gibson of Cal (31), Carl Nicks of Nebraska (31), Brandon Keith of Northern Iowa (31), John Greco of Toledo (30), Michael McGlynn of Pitt (30), Shawn Murphy of Utah State (29), Chris McDuffie of Clemson (29) and Mike Pollak of Arizona State (29).

Bench-press leaders among tight ends

Craig Stevens of Cal (27), Dustin Keller of Purdue (26), Brad Cottam of Tennessee (24), Frederick Davis of USC (24), Derek Fine of Kansas (24), Kolomona Kapanui of West Texas A&M (23), Gary Barnidge of Louisville (22), Kellen Davis of Michigan State (22) and Adam Bishop of Nevada-Reno (21).

Also Saturday:

The Washington Redskins have less salary-cap flexibility than other teams, but even teams flush with cap room are talking about standing on the sideline during free agency.
Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt isn't a big free-agent spender anyway. But with more than $30 million in cap space, Tennessee has the ability to become a big player in the market. Even so, Reinfeldt indicated there simply aren't marquee players worth a huge investment. He said the Titans will look for role players in free agency as they supplement a roster built through the draft.

Vinny Cerrato, the Redskins' top personnel man under owner Dan Snyder, said his team will also take a low-keyed approach to free agency this offseason.

Boston College tackle Gosder Cherilus protects his quarterback on the field. He also looks out for Matt Ryan during interview situations.
"Matt is a great leader," Cherilus said. "He's one the toughest people I've ever been around, to the point that in '06 he broke his ankle in the first game, and played the whole season. I don't know if you know what it's like to have a quarterback behind you knowing that he's as tough as you. It was great playing with Matt. Great blocking for him."

Michigan State running back Jehuu Caulcrick (video here) was part of a graduating class of 26 at his high school in Clymer, New York. He previously moved to the United States from Liberia. The NFL wasn't on his radar when he was running for his life as a youngster.
"I moved to America when I was 9 years old," he said. "I grew up with a lot of adversity, with my dad being assassinated and having to run from refugee camps to refugee camps for my life. But I was fortunate enough to come to America and start a new life. And now I have a great opportunity ahead of me."

Oregon quarterback Dennis Dixon expects to work out April 3. He's 10 weeks into rehabilitation on the knee injury he suffered during the season. He played with a partially torn ACL until the knee gave out.
"The only people that knew (about the initial injury) was my immediate family, my offensive coordinator, and Mike Belotti, the head coach," Dixon said.

Everyone knows now, and the injury won't help Dixon in the draft. Dixon said he also anticipates some teams asking him about playing a position other than quarterback. He once ran the 40-yard dash in 4.48 seconds.

The combine runs through Tuesday. Blog coverage continues in the morning.

b bulldog
02-23-2008, 07:07 PM
I wish Dixon never would have gotten hurt this year because I think that team may have won it all.