PDA

View Full Version : Favre's decision...

packers11
02-25-2008, 11:53 AM
If FA starts on the 28th... I'm sure the packers want to know if he is coming back before FA starts... He said that he will make his decision quicker this year, but the only time he has taken longer to decide then right now is back when the 05 season ended which took him at the day 4/26/06 to decide... Last year took him at the day 2/3/07 to decide...

Its 2/25/08 right now... Shouldn't we be expecting the decision this week???

Just wondering when you all think hes going to decide... FA is right around the corner, and I'm sure if a FA (offensive player) is interested in GB, they are definitely going to want to know if they are going to play with Brett or not...

(THIS IS NOT meant for a A.J. Hawk bashing thread or Favre bashing thread *cough* bulldog)...

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-25-2008, 12:01 PM
The longer he takes, the more probable it is he comes back IMO.

Tarlam!
02-25-2008, 01:22 PM
I think I'm with P11 on this; I want Brett to inform TT ASAP about his plans. Whether or not they are made public is another matter. But, I think BF has been in this situation so many times, enough times, to make a call to help the ball club. Just my opinion...

woodbuck27
02-25-2008, 02:56 PM
We'll hear it (whatever that is?) when he's ready.

Joemailman
02-25-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't think it's a big deal. Packersnews posted this last week:

The Packers say they don't need to give Favre a deadline to make his decision because he's sensitive to the team's need to have a timely decision, with free agency beginning next Friday. McCarthy has talked to Favre every week since the season ended, and the coach said Friday the two had "a very good conversation last week" and "hopefully, we're close" to getting Favre's decision. He plans to speak with Favre again this weekend.

"(Favre) was more concerned about a deadline, because he felt like he was holding the organization up," McCarthy said at the NFL scouting combine. "My whole thing with Brett is, make a decision you can commit 100 percent to. That's what you have to do. To him, the season's still fresh. He's worn out from the season. He's talked about it. He'll do the right thing."

Lurker64
02-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Really, whether or not Favre comes back only has bearing on when we take a QB in the draft and whether or not we pick up a veteran QB in free agency. We're probably going to draft a QB at some point anyway and not having Favre back will mean we might take someone in the 3rd or 4th round instead of the 5th or 6th, and we probably won't pick up a veteran QB in FA with Favre, but would without him.

Other than that, we behave exactly the same at all other positions.

Bretsky
02-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Everybody predicted Green Bay to beat the Giants
Patler predicted the NY Giants to beat Green Bay

Everybody predicted Brett Favre would return
Patler predicted Brett Favre would retire

The PatlerVoodoo is forcing this to take longer than it should

If he retires we know who to go after with all the blame :lol:

Charles Woodson
02-25-2008, 06:33 PM

:smack: patler :smack: patler :smack:

The Shadow
02-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Whatever.
Retire, come back - just skip the soap opera.

packinpatland
02-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Whatever.

Haven't watched a soap since my college days...........from what I remember, this is 'no soap'.

All media induced.

Freak Out
02-25-2008, 07:12 PM
What are the current odds? I bet he hangs em up.

Patler
02-25-2008, 07:45 PM

:smack: patler :smack: patler :smack:

I guess I better go into hiding! :D

Joemailman
02-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Whatever.

What soap opera? There has been nearly a news blackout on this.

MJZiggy
02-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Whatever.

What soap opera? There has been a virtual news blackout on this.

That's what I was thinking. They sang their soapy tune so much the last couple years that no one seems to care this year.

Patler
02-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Whatever.

What soap opera? There has been a virtual news blackout on this.

That's what I was thinking. They sang their soapy tune so much the last couple years that no one seems to care this year.

Fans seemed to tire of it last year, even though it was relatively brief.
This year I think even the sports reporters have tired of it.

Not to make a big deal of it, but it really is perplexing to me that year after year, for so many years, he seems to struggle with this. I can't think of any other pro athlete who played this "Maybe I will, maybe I won't" scenario year after year, for so many years, and for so long each year. Strahan did last year, but he is the only one I can think of, and I think there were some contract issues that promulgated it.

MJZiggy
02-25-2008, 08:34 PM
I just hope they bother to report it when a decision does come. Maybe he decided last week and the media just didn't notice.. :lol:

Pacopete4
02-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Bruschi is doing it right now.. but yes, I don't know if a player has 3 years straight. I really think it comes down to his age and how many games straight he has. I think hes tired, but still knows he has stuff in the tank.. question is, how much?

b bulldog
02-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Imo, the question is,does he have enough in his tank to bust his butt again this offseason to try to offset his age?
I think he does and I think he will be back.

Joemailman
02-25-2008, 08:53 PM
A lot of it has to do with his stature. Vinny Testaverde faces possible retirement every offseason too, but nobody gives a damn whether he comes back or not.

The Shadow
02-25-2008, 09:08 PM
I don't think he would ever just retire without the farewell tour thingee.
No question he plays this year.

Bretsky
02-25-2008, 09:10 PM
the drama is media and fan created. Not much else to discuss in offseason so everybody jumps on this wagon

b bulldog
02-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Agree but I do think Brett likes the attention also.

Pacopete4
02-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Bulldog its weird though, cuz does he really? I mean the guy doesn't do many commercials, he's not on any sort of shows other than interviews after the games, and he fly's back to Mississippi right after the last game where no one sees him til the following season unless its a charity golf tournament.

thats why I cant see him doing this for the attention, I think the media draws attention to it because his name is Brett Favre and that reason only

GBRulz
02-25-2008, 10:41 PM

Well, if his Farewell Tour is anything like Cher's, I'll be happy !! It means he'll play at least two more years :)

GrnBay007
02-26-2008, 12:31 AM
Bulldog its weird though, cuz does he really? I mean the guy doesn't do many commercials, he's not on any sort of shows other than interviews after the games, and he fly's back to Mississippi right after the last game where no one sees him til the following season unless its a charity golf tournament.

thats why I cant see him doing this for the attention, I think the media draws attention to it because his name is Brett Favre and that reason only

Agree.

I've often thought when he does go off into retirement we fans will be disappointed that there is not a big farewell tour-type thing. I just can't see him getting into that....more than anything because this retirement thing has been such a struggle for him, obviously.

For everyone that says he makes a big drama out of it every year, think about it....really. Retirement is a huge step for anyone. Of course he doesn't have to worry about his survival financially like we do, but like all of us he will question if he has accomplished everything in his career that he has wanted to. That is a huge question for anyone. It's easy for us to sit back and say, you are a HOF'er....let it go. Or it's easy for us to say, you still have it, don't leave the game yet. That internal struggle for such a competitive player like Favre has to be unreal. As much as I want to hear his answer (coming back for one more :P ), I also respect that this is an enormous decision for a guy like him...................................so I keep waiting .....and praying. :D

GBRulz
02-26-2008, 07:00 AM
right on, 007!!

:tup:

KYPack
02-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Anyone who's been in the media spotlight hates some of it. Brett's no different. He does this to get back at 'em. Make 'em wait until he's ready to announce.

Brett's entitled to do just that. It's no more of a pain to meke the media wait, so he does it. I imagine he intimates his thoughts to the Packer brass and they play along. He will play at least one more, maybe two uears.

Tony Oday
02-26-2008, 08:13 AM
I think he should come back...then say this is the last year Super Bowl or bust!

Partial
02-26-2008, 08:16 AM
This is getting really old annually.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-26-2008, 11:43 AM
I tire less of Brett's decision process than these interminable threads.

Drama queens.

Bretsky
03-04-2008, 05:26 PM

I don't think he took much of a farwell tour; sure wish he would have though

GrnBay007
03-04-2008, 05:30 PM

I don't think he took much of a farwell tour; sure wish he would have though

Me too! :cry:

packinpatland
03-04-2008, 05:36 PM
You nailed it B..............somehow there's this need for that 'farewell'.

GrnBay007
03-04-2008, 05:40 PM
You nailed it B..............somehow there's this need for that 'farewell'.

It's called closure for Packer fans around the world. I think people will feel really jipped in not getting to prepare and say goodbye in their own way.

BallHawk
03-04-2008, 06:30 PM
I wish he would of gone on a farewell tour. It would of given people a last time to see him and for others a first time to see him.