PDA

View Full Version : Put on your hard hat Partial - Apple stock falling

Tyrone Bigguns
02-25-2008, 04:16 PM
http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2008/02/25/apple-two-months-to-a-52-week-low.aspx?PageIndex=3

From barrons:
Sacconaghi says that weekly run-rate sales in the December quarter were about 180,000 units, or less than 10 million on an annualized basis in the busiest quarter of the year for consumer electronics sales. That leads him to conclude that the goal of selling 10 million units in 2008 is optimistic, “particularly if Apple insists on carrier revenue-sharing, without significant price cuts or new model introductions.” He says European sales of the iPhone have been “particularly disappointing,” falling short of carriers’ initial expectations. Sacconaghi is projecting 1.45 million units in the March quarter, 6.9 million for the September 2008 fiscal year and 7.9 million for calendar 2008.

Partial
02-25-2008, 07:07 PM
What stocks in general haven't done bad the past couple of months?

I don't see this as much of anything. Apple is as strong as ever right now.

Freak Out
02-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Buy Visa.

Freak Out
02-25-2008, 07:40 PM
http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/02/25/apple-hordes-18-billion-like-depression-era-grandmother

digitaldean
02-25-2008, 07:56 PM
The iPhone has changed the way cell phones are made. Case in point are all the "me-too" iPhone knockoffs. I thought their projection for iPhone sales, however, was overly rosy. Until they get it off that dog ass slow Edge network from AT&T, they will see sales not be as robust as predicted.

As for Apple's market share in the computer market, I think it will continue to expand. There is a large amount of disgruntlement about Vista being nothing but a money grab. (case in point being Dell still allowing users to still buy PCs with XP on them).

That being said, Microsoft is dropping XP support. But there are few things really new about Vista that warrants upgrading all your apps and hardware.

Will it ever become as big as the Windows market, probably not. But the steady increase and the continued missteps by Microsoft will move more people to the Mac.

Open source platforms (i.e. Linux) will increase significantly as well.

In short, the news of Apple's demise is greatly exaggerated.

Charles Woodson
02-25-2008, 09:56 PM

actually there are quite a few stocks that have done well despite the past few months...

Bank of America has done pretty well.

And i also have some other small name stocks, that have done me well, Citi trends, riverbed tech. A few of the credit card companys have been doing decent.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-25-2008, 10:50 PM
The iPhone has changed the way cell phones are made. Case in point are all the "me-too" iPhone knockoffs. I thought their projection for iPhone sales, however, was overly rosy. Until they get it off that dog ass slow Edge network from AT&T, they will see sales not be as robust as predicted.

As for Apple's market share in the computer market, I think it will continue to expand. There is a large amount of disgruntlement about Vista being nothing but a money grab. (case in point being Dell still allowing users to still buy PCs with XP on them).

That being said, Microsoft is dropping XP support. But there are few things really new about Vista that warrants upgrading all your apps and hardware.

Will it ever become as big as the Windows market, probably not. But the steady increase and the continued missteps by Microsoft will move more people to the Mac.

Open source platforms (i.e. Linux) will increase significantly as well.

In short, the news of Apple's demise is greatly exaggerated.

Changed the way phone calls are made? How so?

Knockoffs? LOL U.S. cell phones including apple are always behind foreign phones. There isn't one thing unique to the apple phone..is it better at doing what was already there? Mabye..but, it didn't invent anything.

And, it won't lead the next charge as well. Haptic baby.

The iphone wasn't just a phone, it was part of Job's master plan to control your living room. Too bad that won't happen as appletv is a "hobby" now.

Computer market. Unfortunately no. They aren't doing well were it really counts...overseas and underveloped nations.

Apple are fad/cool items. That is a limited market. Most people view a computer as simple consumer appliance..they want to surf and email. They aren't going to pay for a mac just as they aren't paying for alienware.

Partial
02-26-2008, 06:40 AM

actually there are quite a few stocks that have done well despite the past few months...

Bank of America has done pretty well.

And i also have some other small name stocks, that have done me well, Citi trends, riverbed tech. A few of the credit card companys have been doing decent.

Sure, a few individual stocks have done well. Take a look at the dow though. Yikes.

Partial
02-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Google profits are down 12% from the 4th quarter. OMG, the world is ending!!!!!!11one!!!!!!!!!

Zool
02-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Google profits are down 12% from the 4th quarter. OMG, the world is ending!!!!!!11one!!!!!!!!!

Mac nerds are so damned defensive. Its odd that you have loyalty to a corporation. They couldn't give 2 shits about you man.

Partial
02-26-2008, 02:27 PM
I have no loyalty to anyone. I don't even own a mac!

I am merely saying that the economy is crap. Google is even down. I don't know for sure but I imagine it has been a long time since that happened.

Zool
02-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Its your image in the mirror.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-26-2008, 03:04 PM

Profits are one thing..falling from around 200 to closing in on 100 is another.

Partial
02-26-2008, 03:40 PM

Apple is making oodles, and oodles of money. Perhaps it is because they just put away another 3 bill into their csah reserves.

Apple has almost 19 billion US dollars stashed away. That is in cold hard cash. I am not the least bit concerned about them nor should anyone be at this point. There Mac sales growth has been at an extremely rapid pace, and they will get the word of mouth of the pleasant experiences from this gen of Mac users telling their friends for their next computer purchase.

If I had some spare money right now, I would throw it in Apple as its a good time to buy.

Freak Out
02-26-2008, 05:17 PM
I don't think the time to buy is just yet. The bottom is going to fall out soon and retail sales are going to nosedive.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-26-2008, 06:22 PM

Apple is making oodles, and oodles of money. Perhaps it is because they just put away another 3 bill into their csah reserves.

Apple has almost 19 billion US dollars stashed away. That is in cold hard cash. I am not the least bit concerned about them nor should anyone be at this point. There Mac sales growth has been at an extremely rapid pace, and they will get the word of mouth of the pleasant experiences from this gen of Mac users telling their friends for their next computer purchase.

If I had some spare money right now, I would throw it in Apple as its a good time to buy.

You should do that..and then throw a tenspot in the crapper.

Profits and stock prices are two different things.

Partial
02-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Agreed, but there stock has performed very well in their climb back to respectability and has proven to be a decent investment the past couple of years despite the lack of dividends.

Scott Campbell
02-26-2008, 10:08 PM

In the long term, stock prices tend to follow earnings.

Partial
01-26-2009, 10:56 AM
http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2008/02/25/apple-two-months-to-a-52-week-low.aspx?PageIndex=3

From barrons:
Sacconaghi says that weekly run-rate sales in the December quarter were about 180,000 units, or less than 10 million on an annualized basis in the busiest quarter of the year for consumer electronics sales. That leads him to conclude that the goal of selling 10 million units in 2008 is optimistic, “particularly if Apple insists on carrier revenue-sharing, without significant price cuts or new model introductions.” He says European sales of the iPhone have been “particularly disappointing,” falling short of carriers’ initial expectations. Sacconaghi is projecting 1.45 million units in the March quarter, 6.9 million for the September 2008 fiscal year and 7.9 million for calendar 2008.

Well, turns out your analysts were wrong by more than 50%. Apple sold 17.4 million handsets by January 1st, 2008.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/01/22/technology/20090122_JOBS.html

See the timeline entry.

And the iPhone has completely changed the way cellphones are designed. See the blatant rip-off Blackberry Storm and Palm Pre. Except Blackberry didn't put the time in to redesign the OS from the ground up, so quite frankly the Storm is a significant step back, especially without Multi-touch.

Palm and BB errored in the past that a touchscreen phone should have the same UI conventions of a non-touchscreen phone. Palm has learned form their mistake and will likely survive (barely) based on how bad ass (not to mention iPhone esque) the Pre looks.

For what its worth, Apple does very well in the education market in America. I don't think they really care much about the developing nation markets because they're basically printing money these days, their computers are overpriced luxury items like ThinkPads or business class Dell notebooks. Those developing countries are going to go cheap and go with a shitty Inspiron Dell.

Partial
01-26-2009, 10:59 AM
This thread delivers. Ty is one of the funniest, most often wrong characters on these boards. :lol:

Chucks post is just funny in retrospect. Can't give the little man too much sheeze though.

mraynrand
01-26-2009, 11:06 AM

In the long term, stock prices tend to follow earnings.

SC SPEAKS!

Harlan Huckleby
01-26-2009, 11:48 AM
ya, and it took a story about the stock market to lure him out of his hiding place. Like setting out a hot dog to attract a fat guy. SC worships the almighty dollar.

retailguy
01-26-2009, 02:46 PM
you two need to learn how to read dates.... :idea:

mraynrand
01-26-2009, 02:48 PM
you two need to learn how to read dates.... :idea:

I see. WTF is partial doing dragging a thread like this out of the dark ages?

P.S. Is Jobs still alive?

SkinBasket
01-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Its your image in the mirror.

http://agodamongmen.com/agodamongmendotcom_icon19.gif

Charles Woodson
01-26-2009, 05:32 PM
This thread delivers. Ty is one of the funniest, most often wrong characters on these boards. :lol:

Chucks post is just funny in retrospect. Can't give the little man too much sheeze though.

haha ill admit i know nothing about stocks tho, i do the virtual stock exchange to have fun lol