PDA

View Full Version : Troy Williamson traded to Jags

Brando19
02-25-2008, 09:54 PM
From www.profootballtalk.com

Three years ago, a receiver with hands of stone was drafted by a coach with a head of meat.

As it turns out, they'll be reunited soon.

Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the Vikings have reached an agreement in principle to trade receiver Troy Williamson to the Jags for a second-day pick in the draft.

"Second-day" used to mean rounds four through seven. Now, round three is included. Our guess is that the Vikings will get a fifth-round pick that can upgrade to a fourth-round selection.

The deal can't be done until 12:00 a.m. EST on February 29.

Williamson was the seventh overall pick in the 2005 draft, and he was supposed to make folks in Minnesota forget about Randy Moss.

It didn't happen. In 2007, Williamson caught 18 passes. Moss caught 23 touchdown passes.

The Vikings' coach at the time of Williamson's arrival was Mike Tice. After the 2005 season, Tice was fired in Minnesota, and thereafter hired by the Jaguars as an assistant.

In Jacksonville, Williams should feel right at home. None of the team's other receivers can catch, either

Lurker64
02-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Why on earth would they trade for Williamson?

Tyrone Bigguns
02-26-2008, 12:22 AM

Jville receivers are big, but not fast...can't spread the field.

Lurker64
02-26-2008, 12:37 AM

But Willamson can't catch the ball no matter how wide open he is. I don't recall a single receiver playing worse in all of 2007.

Rastak
02-26-2008, 06:25 AM
YEA!

Man was that guy a dissapointment. He's blazing fast and he's really quick too. If he had even a little football skill he'd be good. If he had a moderate amount of football skill he'd be outstanding. He's got neither right now. Almost none comes to mind. Maybe a change of scenery will fix the issue but I highly doubt it.

He even blows as a kick returner. A guy that quick and fast should be great....but he isn't that good. I guess from the Jags perspective a 6th isn;t much but he'll eat up a roster spot while you try and straighten him out.

PackerPro42
02-26-2008, 06:48 AM
They're giving up a sixth rounder to get him. I just saw it on ESPN.

CaliforniaCheez
02-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Trading a # 7 overall pick after 3 years when he should be peaking for a late 6th round pick (around number 201).

Actually, that's a good salvage operation.

Williamson cost some under the cap and did very little.

The draft pick as part of the Moss trade now is a 6th.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-26-2008, 11:41 AM

But Willamson can't catch the ball no matter how wide open he is. I don't recall a single receiver playing worse in all of 2007.

The question was why? Not if it was a good trade. :roll:

mngolf19
02-26-2008, 12:52 PM
YES!!! Thank you.

The Leaper
02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
The Vikings got 25 catches/1 TD a year from Williamson and one lackluster season from Harris for giving up one of the most talented, albeit disfunctional, WRs the NFL has ever seen.

Ouch. Almost makes me forget about Tony Mandarich...but not quite.

Patler
02-26-2008, 01:22 PM
The Vikings got 25 catches/1 TD a year from Williamson and one lackluster season from Harris for giving up one of the most talented, albeit disfunctional, WRs the NFL has ever seen.

Ouch. Almost makes me forget about Tony Mandarich...but not quite.

It also makes the Packers' selection of Robert Ferguson look positively insightful! How did we ever let him get away? :lol:

The Leaper
02-26-2008, 02:55 PM
It also makes the Packers' selection of Robert Ferguson look positively insightful! How did we ever let him get away? :lol:

I'm not sure how we did...but it sure makes sense now why he ended up in Minnesota. Ferguson IS Randy Moss compared to Williamson.

KYPack
02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
When the Vikes made him the 7th pick, I couldn't figure it out. His college stats weren't that great. Everyone raved about his potential, but that high a pick would have to be ready to produce right away.

He wasn't and he hasn't. Who was drafting for the Vikes then, Big meat?

superfan
02-27-2008, 01:17 AM
Who was drafting for the Vikes then, Big meat?

Yeah, I think it was "Tice, Tice baby" and whatever brain trust was around him at the time.

Minneapolis sports radio was talking about the Williamson trade today along with Vilma. I guess the Jets told Vilma's agent he could seek a trade with any other team but the Patriots. The radio guys were talking about how great it was to snub your rival, and were saying that the Vikings should have offered Williamson to anybody but the Packers. And they were serious about it.

C'mon guys, PLEASE give us a chance to trade for Williamson! :roll: :lol:

Guiness
02-27-2008, 05:27 AM
I hear ya SF. He would've been a great fit. 'cept we don't carry 7WRs.

MadtownPacker
02-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Damn, that's one less guy Harris can bully.

Lurker64
02-27-2008, 11:37 AM

Yeah, I think it was "Tice, Tice baby" and whatever brain trust was around him at the time.

The word I heard out of the Purple camp (so I don't know how reliable this is) was that Tice wanted to draft Merriman at this position but his boss (the Used-Car salesman ex-owner) wanted a WR to replace Moss, so pushed hard to the point of demanding that Williamson be taken.

Seeing that, in retrospect, Tice was probably a better coach than Childress I wouldn't be surprised if the above story is true.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-27-2008, 11:55 AM

The word I heard out of the Purple camp (so I don't know how reliable this is) was that Tice wanted to draft Merriman at this position but his boss (the Used-Car salesman ex-owner) wanted a WR to replace Moss, so pushed hard to the point of demanding that Williamson be taken.

Seeing that, in retrospect, Tice was probably a better coach than Childress I wouldn't be surprised if the above story is true.

Tice made his fair share of mistakes, but Red hamstrung him. He underpaid Tice and all his assistants..making it hard to get top people.

Red ran that operation on the cheap and the results came as expected.

Most often, when a team is bad, it starts from the top..and i mean the very top.

Packers were bad...bad upper management.

Bucs were horrible till Culverhouse sold the team.

Bills were horrible till Wilson opened his pocketbook.

Carolina_Packer
02-27-2008, 02:10 PM
They're giving up a sixth rounder to get him. I just saw it on ESPN.

They could live to regret even giving up a 6th. Geez, what were the Vikes thinking when they drafted a receiver that high, especially one who has been as much of a dud? He may have quicks, but to be drafted that high, you have to be the real deal at WR.

KYPack
02-27-2008, 03:38 PM

Yeah, I thought maybe that was the early days of "The Triangle of power" deal.

Red was a fool. A #7 pick is a great resource. No way do you draft a shakey guy like Williamson in that spot. He really had no credentials other than being a burner.

God, the NFL North has some poor front office people. We will stay up as long as Millen, the Vikes, and the Bears crazy guys stay in power.

Patler
02-27-2008, 03:49 PM
God, the NFL North has some poor front office people. We will stay up as long as Millen, the Vikes, and the Bears crazy guys stay in power.

I have been surprised by the number of Bears sportswriters and fans who have proclaimed "relief" that the Bears re-signed Grossman. I read one column that stated it would have been a disaster to let him get away. Re-signing him was a reasonable decision, especially for a one-year deal, but at this point it doesn't seem "franchise significant".