PDA

View Full Version : Packers Draft

vince
02-26-2008, 08:19 AM
I've never taken the time to do do a mock draft before, but I thought I'd give it a shot - just for the Packers.

I'm quite certain none of the players I've speculated on will actually be drafted by Thompson, as he will undoubtedly do what noone else could have predicted. If CW gets traded for a 2nd or a 3rd and 4th, everything obvsiously changes. I also thought about needs more than TT will, but it was a good exercise to learn more about various prospects and to think about what TT might be looking at.

Round 1
A big CB that can bump and run
Reggie Smith/Aquib Talib/Antoine Cason

Reggie Smith 6-1, 198 Oklahoma
Draft Scout Snapshot: 2007: Ranked fourth on the team with 78 tackles (57 solos), adding an 8-yard sack and seven stops for losses of 26 yards…Returned a fumble recovery 61 yards for a touchdown and gained 48 yards on three interception returns while also deflecting eleven passes…The opposition completed just 21-of-60 passes targeted into his area (35.0%) for 231 yards (11.0 yards per completion/3.85 yards per pass attempt), as he allowed no touchdowns and held his main pass coverage assignment to no catches in the North Texas and Miami contests…Also excelled on special teams, as he gained 203 yards on 30 punt returns (6.8 avg), adding 73 yards on three kickoff returns (24.3 avg). 14 GP; 13 GS; PR 37-287-7.8-1 KR 12-271-22.6-0; 41 TT, 4 TFL, 3 INT, 8 PBU; All-Big 12 first team in '06. 12 GP; 10 GS; KR: 18-377-20.9-0; 47 TT, 2 TFL, 2 INT, 3 PBU; Freshman All-American in '05.

PRO POTENTIAL: CB The first-team All-Big 12 selection tallied 78 tackles (57 solo), seven tackles for loss and three interceptions in 2007, his first full season at corner after playing most of 2005 and 2006 at strong safety. He runs a 4.47 40-yard dash and boasts a 36.5-inch vertical.

Aquib Talib 6-2, 202 Kansas
DraftScout Snapshot: Started all year at left cornerback and also held the distinction of starting on both offense and defense in the same game vs. Kansas State…Ranked sixth on the squad with 66 tackles (42 solos), including 3.5 stops for losses of 8 yards…Deflected thirteen passes and had five interceptions, as he set a school season-record with 195 yards in returns and tied another mark with two pass thefts for touchdowns…On offense, he caught eight of thirteen passes thrown to him, good for 182 yards (22.8 avg) and four touchdowns…Also rushed once for a 6-yard loss…Returned two punts for 21 yards (10.5 avg)…Had 92 passes targeted into his area, with 47 being caught by the opposition for 459 yards (9.77-yard average per completion/4.99 yards per pass attempt) and a touchdown…Made 61 of his plays vs. the pass and 23 others vs. the run…Rerouted the opposing receivers on 27 plays, as he made six goal-line tackles…Credited with 252 third-down stops and two more on fourth-down activity. 10 GP; 10 GS; 42 TT, 2 TFL, 6 INT, 22 PBU, 1 QBH; Suspended 2 games for violating team rules. Played in and started 10 games, second-team All-America, All-Big 12 First Team in '06. 11 GP; 9 GS; 54 TT, 4 TFL, 2 INT, 8 PBU, 2 FF; An All-Big 12 honorable-mention in '05. Redshirt in '04.

PRO POTENTIAL: CB Although he left Kansas with a year of eligibility remaining, Talib's lockdown skills could make him a first-round pick. He tallied 66 tackles (42 solo), returned an interception 60 yards for a touchdown in the Orange Bowl, his 13th career pick. What teams have you talked to? "I talked to the Patriots. It was just a good conversation. I felt it went pretty good. We talked about football, my history, family background, a lot of stuff." How would you fit in with the Patriots? "I feel I'd be a pretty good fit wherever I get picked." What do you bring to a team? "My ball skills … when the ball is in the air, I find a way to get it. I can play man coverage, I'm a pretty good tackler." How do you stack up with the other corners here? "I thought I was going to be one of the bigger corners, but it's a pretty big group." Any corner you try to emulate? "I'm a big Deion Sanders fan. I always want to be the shutdown corner, the Prime Time of my team. I come up and tackle." On his ability to make interceptions (he had 13 in three years at Kansas): "They want interceptions at corner. If you have good hands, it shows you can make plays on defense. It matters a great deal." - NFL Combine Transcript

Antoine Cason 6-0 190 Arizona
Draft Scout Snapshot: 2007: Started all twelve games at weak-side cornerback, ranking third on the team with a career-high 71 tackles (56 solos), including a 6-yard sack and four stops for losses of 12 yards…Caused two fumbles and deflected a team-high fourteen passes…Tied Nate Ness for the team lead and both ranked second in the league with five interceptions…Gained 164 yards with two interceptions on those five pass thefts…Made 56 of his stops vs. the pass, coming up with 26 third-down hits, including six in run support…Also made one fourth-down stop and tackled the opponent four times for no gain…Made seven of his tackles inside the red zone…Of the 73 passes targeted to his area, the opposition caught 23 for 258 yards (11.2 avg), two touchdowns and twelve first downs (held the opposition to 3.53 yards per pass attempt)…Allowed seven more first downs on 29 running plays he participated in. 12 GP; 12 GS; 62 TT, 2 TFL, 3 INT, 7 PBU, 1 FF; Playboy 2007 All-America… Candidate for Lott Trophy and Thorpe Award… First-team All-Pacific-10 Conference honors in 2006. 11 GP; 11 GS; 50 TT, 2.5 TFL, 3 INT, 5 PBU in '05. 11 GP; 11 GS; 70 TT, 5.5 TFL, 4 INT, 6 PBU, 3 FF; Started 11 games as a true freshman in 2004, earning All-Pac-10 honorable mention.

Arizona cornerback Antoine Cason is a classic example of a very good football player whose lack of topflight measurables could lead to a surprising drop on draft day. A four year conference honoree -- including First Team Pac-10 accolades the past two years -- Cason reads the action well and is a physical, reliable cornerback. If Cason confirms only marginal straight-line speed with forty times in the 4.5s or slower, however, this career standout could still be waiting to hear his name called after the first round ends.

No Wildcat has more to gain — or to lose — than Cason. Scouts Inc. lists Cason as the top defensive back in the draft. A good performance at the combine could convince others — and earn him millions. But Cason isn't viewed as a sure thing. Some scouts question his speed in the 40-yard dash, the combine's ultimate test of speed and quickness. Scouts have tagged Cason with a 40 time of 4.55 seconds, although it's hard to figure out where the number came from. Cason has never performed for scouts; he was supposed to run the 40 at last spring's pro scouting day in Tucson, but missed so he could take part in a UA track meet. It's a fact his agent, Ron Slavin of BTI Sports Advisors, has addressed over and over. "People aren't putting 2 and 2 together on this. He didn't run, but he didn't run because he was on the track team," Slavin said. "I don't know why they can't figure it out." By then, Cason had already announced plans to return for his senior season. He was in the middle of spring drills — and track season — when the scouts came calling. "I knew I didn't need to work out for NFL scouts until the next year," he said. "But I'll be fine in the 40. It's very important to people. The 40 this coming week is going to be important, and I'm ready for it."

Round 2
Trade Down – swap for a 3rd plus a 4

Round 3
An athletic Guard that also has the size to hold up against big maulers inside.
Heath Benedict G/T 6-5 321 Newberry (via trade)
Draft Scout Snapshot: 2007: The team totaled 1,744 yards on 310 carries (5.6 avg), but on 132 running plays over Benedict's territory, the Indians amassed 1,142 yards, an average of 8.65 yards per attempt…Collected 86 knockdowns/key blocks with eighteen touchdown-resulting blocks, as both figures are the most to date by any other offensive lineman in college football… Also came up with sixteen down field blocks, grading 92.71% for blocking consistency… Graded at least 90% in five of the seven games he played in (Chowan, Bowie State, North Greenville, West Georgia and Mars Hill)…Was penalized once for holding (vs. Carson-Newman), the first time he was flagged in nineteen contests. AP Little All-American, 1st team All-So Atl at RT in '06. Played in eight of nine games, starting six, named to the 2005 All-South Atlantic Conference first team, participated in 555 plays, grading out at 82% in '05. Started every game at right tackle in '04, graded out at 86.5%. Redshirted at the University of Tennessee in 2002.

While at Newberry, Benedict addressed his academics. He has twice taken the NFL’s Wonderlic test, scoring 31 and 28, which, historically, is good enough to place him among the best at the combine. He has approached this week’s opportunity in the same manner he tackled classes and defensive ends at Newberry. He worked out with a trainer in Los Angeles and participated in every activity at the Senior Bowl in addition to Monday’s interview training. “A lot of people had questions about me going into the Senior Bowl because I’m coming from Newberry,” he said. “This will be my opportunity to prove myself.” Benedict said he has received a lot of praise for his technique, and he credits Newberry assistant Kevin Turco for his improvement during his final two seasons. “The thing that we’re really excited about is there were a lot of people who said because he was a D-II player he would not have had the teaching and coaching he needed to get to the next level,” Willis said. “Well, at the Senior Bowl, he really at times was dominant. It’s a really gratifying, validating experience for our staff. - Patrick Obley, The State

2nd Pick Round 3
A ZBS running back with size and burst
Matt Forte RB 6-1 221 Tulane
Draft Scout Snapshot: 9 GP; 9 GS; Rush: 163-859-5.3-8; Rec: 28-360-12.9-2; 3rd team All-Conf USA in '06. 11 GP; 6 GS; Rush: 169-655-3.9-4; Rec: 23-163-7.1-1 in '05. 11 GP; 3 GS; Rush: 140-624-4.5-4; Rec: 20-180-9-2; Conference USA All-Freshman Team in '04.

All-Star Game Risers Team: RB Matt Forte (Tulane): As if his 2,127 yards last season weren't enough, Forte continued his climb up draft boards with a solid week of practices at the Senior Bowl and an MVP performance in the game. His size (6'1", 221), strong inside running, and quick feet are reminiscent of Jamal Lewis and Jerome Bettis. He's not a liability in the passing game, however, as he caught over 100 balls during his career at Tulane and displayed those hands in Mobile.

PRO POTENTIAL: RB Matt Forte benefited from the coaching change in 2007. Running backs in spread offenses don't often translate into productive pros so the move from the spread to the West Coast offense did Forte a big favor. Not only did he emerge as the nation's leading rusher but he showed what he could do in a more traditional pro-style offense, often against eight- and nine-man fronts. He started the season as a likely third- or fourth-round pick but his stock his on the rise. He continued to help himself in the Senior Bowl with his ability to work his way through a crowd and showed a decent burst after contact. Forte got a chance to show off his receiving skills and made a positive impression in that area as well.

Round 4
Pass Catching TE
Brad Cottam TE 6-8 271 Tennessee (via trade)
Draft Scout Snapshot: 13 GP; 5 GS; Rec: 14-182-13-0 in '06. Played in every game (11) for second straight year, had one special-teams tackle in '05. 13 GP; 0 GS; Rec: 2-34-17-0 in '04. Redshirted in '03.

Former Tennessee Vol tight end Brad Cottam had a respectable showing during the first day of the NFL Combine on Saturday in Indianapolis. Cottam, whose career at UT was plagued by injuries, was among the top performers among tight ends in three testing categories. He finished fifth in the 40-yard dash in 4.63 seconds, third in the bench press by lifting 225 pounds 24 times and fourth in the vertical leap at 33 inches.

One of the fastest rising tight ends in the draft continues to be Tennessee's Brad Cottam. Cottam, who measured in at 6-7 1/2, 270 pounds, also showed an impressive combination of speed and strength. Cottam was timed by scouts in the 4.6s and finished among the position's leaders with 24 repetitions of 225 pounds despite fighting physics with his long arms. Cottam was plagued by injuries throughout his career and missed nearly all of last season due to a broken wrist. Cottam's rare size/speed combination, along with resurgence during the Outback Bowl led to a Senior Bowl invitation, where he was among the better tight ends. Saturday in Indy, he also proved amongst the most athletic.

PRO POTENTIAL: TE Brad Cottam - With his size (6-8, 265 pounds), soft hands and surprising speed, Cottam could be a find for a team which needs a tight end on the draft's second day. Cottam, who played just five games after breaking his wrist in preseason, caught a touchdown pass in the Senior Bowl.

2nd Pick Round 4
4-3 DE that can rush the passer and stop the run
Kendall Langford/Jason Jones DE

Kendall Langford 6-6 275 Hampton
Draft Scout Snapshot: 2007: Langford started all eleven games at right defensive end, leading the team with 72 tackles (32 solos) and twelve quarterback pressures… Ranked second on the squad with six sacks for minus 57 yards and 13.5 stops for losses totaling 81 yards…Caused two fumbles and deflected a pass…Blocked a kick and also recovered a blocked field goal…Made 70 of his stops vs. the run, as the opposition gained just 6 yards on those plays (0.09 avg)…Registered sixteen third-down stops and had five other hits on fourth-down activity…Allowed just one first down vs. rushing plays for the season, coming on a 10-yard run in the Morgan State clash…Collected fifteen of his tackles inside the red zone, including eleven on goal-line plays…Stopped opposing ball carriers at the line of scrimmage for no gain twelve times. 12 GP; 12 GS; 55 TT, 15.5 TFL, 8 SK, 1 PBU, 2 QBH, 1 FF, 1 BLK; 1st team All-MEAC in '06.
12 GP; 12 GS; 65 TT, 15.5 TFL, 4.5 SK, 2 PBU, 1 FF, 2 BLK in '05. 12 GP; 3 GS; 44 TT, 11.5 TFL, 6 SK, 1 QBH in '04.

All-Star Game Risers Team: DE Kendall Langford (Hampton): Played well enough at the East-West to garner a replacement gig in Mobile. Each day in Houston and Mobile, Langford seemed to improve his ability to effectively bull rush using leverage and hand placement. He also flashed an outside pass rush using the length of his 6'6" frame. The former tackle for the Pirates could be a top 100 pick at defensive end in April.

Senior Bowl Practice Risers: Langford really legitimized himself as a late third or early fourth round selection at end with his improving technique rushing the passer and stopping the run. This is partially a two-week award, as he continued his play from last week's Houston's East-West Shrine Game.

Senior Bowl Wednesday South Team Practice: Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton: Another impressive day for Langford, displaying bull rush and outside speed against OT Oniel Cousins in drills. He also stood up Cousins in 7-on-7's, stuffing Tashard Choice so he had nowhere to run. Put up a fight, literally, against fellow small-schooler Heath Benedict as they shoved each other after jockeying for leverage.

Jason Jones 6-5 272 Eastern Michigan
Draft Scout Snapshot: 11 GP; 11 GS; 57 TT, 18.5 TFL, 4 SK, 2 QBH, 2 FF; 2nd team All-MAC in '06. 11 GP; 11 GS; 47 TT, 12 TFL, 6.5 SK, 6 QBH, 1 SFTY in '05. 11 GP; 3 GS; Rec: 4-12-3-0 in '04.

Senior Bowl Wednesday North Team Practice: Jason Jones, DE, Easetern Michigan: Continued his improvement from the East-West game, taking Ohio State OT Kirk Barton to task multiple times in 1-on-1 drills and 11-on-11 scrimmages. Used outside-in moves and bull rushes to get to the QB, and also got off Barton's block to attack ball carriers running his way.

Senior Bowl Wednesday North Team Practice: Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan: Will be showing up in OT Kirk Barton's nightmares tonight. Jones used his length to get around the former Buckeye, bull-rushed Barton into the quarterback, ripped him upstairs to slide by him, and even got off his run blocks to grab the running back on the way by. Just like in Houston for East-West, Jones has gotten better every practice out at end.

Compensatory Pick (for Ahman Green loss)
Will Franklin WR 6-1 205 Missouri
Draft Scout Snapshot: 11 GP; 11 GS; Rec: 48-829-17.3-6; HM All-Big 12 in '06. 12 GP; 11 GS; Rec: 40-413-10.3-2 in '05. 11 GP; 0 GS; Rec: 6-174-29-1 in '04.

East-West Shrine Monday Practice: Had the drops in pitch-and-catch drills early on today, but came on with some nice catches later. Showed great YAC potential on one play, catching a ball on a stop pattern and seemingly taking off to the inside in a millisecond. The corner tried to touch up his leftover smoke, but to no avail.

Round 5
Kevin O’Connell QB 6-6 228 San Diego State
6 GP; 4 GS; Rush: 47-155-3.3-2; Pass: 101-59-58.4-635-3-5; Missed six games due to injury in '06. 12 GP; 12 GS; Rush: 140-402-2.9-5; Pass: 375-233-62.1-2663-19-12; Played and started all 12 contests …
Ended the year ranked 47th nationally in passing efficiency (132.10) and 29th in total offense (255.4/g) in '05. 9 GP; 5 GS; Rush: 73-347-4.8-1; Pass: 236-115-48.7-1328-9-9; Started the final five games of the season in '04. Redshirted in '03.

“People know I'm athletic and can run,” O'Connell said. “But the NFL is more about what you do in the pocket.” O'Connell said he could have run a faster 40 but had focused more of his training on the throwing session. It paid off. One coach estimated that 16 of O'Connell's 22 throws were good. “He did enough for teams to be more interested in him,” the coach said. “He did very well for himself.”

Aztecs head coach Chuck Long knows what kind of asset intelligence will be for his former passer. "Because of the way he is and his personality, he will interview well," Long, a first-round pick of the Detroit Lions in 1986, said recently. "A huge part for a quarterback at the combine is how they interview.

If you sit down with Kevin, you're going to be very impressed. He's really improved his leadership and work ethic, and that will all come out." Said O'Connell: "All I can do is be myself. ... I'm not one of those guys who's going to be a problem. I'm going to come in, do my job and expect to get better every day -- how to learn from the veterans and recognize my role, possibly, as a developmental quarterback." It sure sounds like O'Connell has done his homework for the combine.

PRO POTENTIAL: QB Kevin O'Connell has the size (6-foot-6, 235 pounds) and the running ability to be a threat at the next level. Because of SDSU's relative lack of success, O'Connell is going to have to make great showings in front of scouts. He is an accurate passer with a strong arm who can buy time and should get a long look in a camp next summer. O'Connell played in both the East-West Shrine Game and the Hula Bowl, throwing for 147 yards in the latter.

Round 7
Curtis Gatewood/David Vobora SLB

Curtis Gatewood 6-2 242 Vanderbilt
Draft Scout Snapshot: 12 GP; 12 GS; 49 TT, 8 TFL, 7 SK, 1 INT, 2 PBU, 3 QBH, 3 FF; Became one of Commodores' top performers in first full year at defensive end… Co-recipient of team's postseason Most Valuable Defensive Lineman Award with DT Theo Horrocks in '06. 11 GP; 0 GS; 22 TT, 2.5 TFL, 2 QBH in '05. 11 GP; 0 GS; 9 TT; Played in all 11 games as reserve outside linebacker and special teams in '04. Redshirted in '03.

PRO POTENTIAL: Curtis Gatewood could be a good find in the draft's second day or as an undrafted free agent. A good pass rusher who was also solid against the run, Gatewood was one of the SEC's better ends the last two years. He projects as a linebacker in the NFL.

PLAYERS TO WATCH: Curtis Gatewood - The team's sack leader last year with seven, Gatewood didn't have one against Richmond, even though the Spiders attempted 30 passes. Gatewood will be vital this week if Vanderbilt is to make Alabama QB John Parker Wilson more uncomfortable in the pocket. A quick sack or hurry could lead to a big game for Gatewood.

David Vobora 6-1 220 Idaho
Draft Scout Snapshot: 12 GP; 12 GS; 134 TT, 16.5 TFL, 2 SK, 1 INT, 4 PBU, 2 QBH, 2 FF; Earned first-team all-Western Athletic Conference recognition after leading the league in total tackles (seventh nationally) and solo tackles (fourth nationally), and ranking second in tackles for loss (22nd nationally) in '06. 11 GP; 6 GS; 42 TT, 5 TFL, 3 FF in '05. 12 GP; 3 GS; 17 TT in '04.

PRO POTENTIAL: David Vobora - The 6-foot-1, 240-pounder led the WAC in tackles last season, averaging 12.3 per game. Vobora played in the East-West Shrine Game.

PRO PROSPECTS: David Vobora has a nose for the football, good instincts and speed. He's been watched by scouts of all 32 NFL teams. He has a shot to be a late-round draft pick. If he isn't drafted, he's a cinch to land a free-agent deal that could give him a shot at the NFL.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way this played out, I didn't get the strong pass rushing DE or the big, athletic SLB that can cover and stuff the run... Perhaps that's where a draft-day CW trade might come into play...

I think the RB, TE, and QB would be great selections... and the WR from Missouri, while not a need, also would fit the WCO to a T.

Overall, it looks to me that, while the draft lacks big-time star power at the top, it is very deep in talent. That sets up well for us.

Ballboy
02-26-2008, 11:35 AM
I would like the Packers to pick this QB in the later in the draft:

Joe Flacco QB 6'6 230 Delaware

I watched him in the skill competition on ESPN, got a cannon arm and fits it in tight areas. Originally went to Pitt(I think) before transfer to Delaware.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-26-2008, 11:40 AM
I sure hope TT doesn't draft like you. :oops:

vince
02-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Ty, go get yourself a rock and come back. You're obviously jonesin'. :wink:

vince
02-26-2008, 12:04 PM
I would like the Packers to pick this QB in the later in the draft:

Joe Flacco QB 6'6 230 Delaware

I watched him in the skill competition on ESPN, got a cannon arm and fits it in tight areas. Originally went to Pitt(I think) before transfer to Delaware.
Agreed. He definitely has a rocket for an arm. He won't last past the second round though I don't think.

Fritz
02-26-2008, 12:33 PM
I would rather them draft that David Vibrator guy than that Joey Flaccid guy.

CaliforniaCheez
02-26-2008, 04:11 PM

Ted has a lot more information.

Oscar
02-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Interesting take on the draft, Vince. :tup: Thanks for the read..

Tyrone Bigguns
02-26-2008, 04:45 PM

Info or not, i don't wanna see any WRs or running backs unless it is a first rounder. Let's see what bjack and grant can do.

Freak Out
02-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Those are some good/very good players. I want a big QB like that drafted.

Charles Woodson
02-26-2008, 05:38 PM

Info or not, i don't wanna see any WRs or running backs unless it is a first rounder. Let's see what bjack and grant can do.

If you want to see what our rbs can do then why would you draft one in the first?

Overall i think its a decent draft

The only thing TT has to do to make me happy is draft a Corner. I dont care what anybody else says but we can not be any type of contenders with no nickel back.

idpackerfan
02-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Hey I'm new to the forums, but I've been reading them for a while. I go to school at U of I and have watched Vobora play for 3 years now. I think that he's a major sleeper in the draft, mainly because he played for a team as shitty as Idaho, so noone knows who he is. He's an animal and in games against big teams (for us anyway) like Boise St. and USC, he stepped up. I think he would be a steal for the pack in the 7th, he's really instinctive and aggressive, but he just needs to bulk up a bit.

red
02-29-2008, 05:41 PM
i want cromartie if he's there in the first and we take a cb

guys a stud

CaliforniaCheez
02-29-2008, 06:09 PM

Ted Thompson drafts like no one else. You may be scratching your head a bit on draft day but in August you say "Ah ha! Now I understand."

Some clues are he does not trade down in the first round or with first pick.

Picks close together in the 2nd or third round have a good chance of one of them being traded down.

Ted tends to like well rounded combine numbers/performers. A guy who is 5th-7th in each event is more likely to be drafted than a player who is 1st-4th in some areas and 10-13th in others.

Ted drafted CB's Hawkins and Blackmon in midrounds. Thompson may be due to draft one higher.

Other than that good luck guessing.

RashanGary
02-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Hey I'm new to the forums, but I've been reading them for a while. I go to school at U of I and have watched Vobora play for 3 years now. I think that he's a major sleeper in the draft, mainly because he played for a team as shitty as Idaho, so noone knows who he is. He's an animal and in games against big teams (for us anyway) like Boise St. and USC, he stepped up. I think he would be a steal for the pack in the 7th, he's really instinctive and aggressive, but he just needs to bulk up a bit.

Welcome. Thanks for the info. Anyone else in the state of Iowa we should look out for?

MJZiggy
03-01-2008, 07:16 AM

Welcome to the forum, idpackerfan.

JH, pay attention. He's from IDAHO, hence the username IDpackerfan.