PDA

View Full Version : Trade Up For Stewart

Partial
02-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Johnny Stewart is a hoss. I would love to trade up for the kid.

Deputy Nutz
02-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Another one of Partial's trade stratedgies.

How far up are you will to go? What would you be willing to give up? How long do you wait for him to drop?

Hell I think the Packers should trade up for Howie Long's kid.

SkinBasket
02-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Let's trade up for both. Maybe we can get McFadden while we're at it too.

LL2
02-26-2008, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't be opposed if TT made a move to get Stewart. He would be a big RB that would compliment Grant. Imagine having those two in the backfield.

twoseven
02-26-2008, 01:01 PM
It's not inconceivable that with McFadden, Mendenhall, and Stewart on the board that one of the three will not fall within striking distance of #30 (within 5-10 picks?), considering which teams need what and where they lay in wait. Mendenhall or Stewart could be big time power runners at the next level, offer a team like GB a great chance to build a sustained power running game they seem to be lacking. Both bring an element of size and power that Grant does not have, while they do have his speed.

The Leaper
02-26-2008, 01:08 PM
I've maintained all along that I would not be surprised to see TT move up in this draft. If a player of a high talent level (top 15 on TT's board) at a position of need drops down into the 20s, Thompson certainly would try to make a move IMO.

Trading up when you are in the teens is difficult due to the value of those top 10 picks. Trading up from #30 to somewhere five to ten spots higher is far less costly, which makes TT happy.

LL2
02-26-2008, 01:36 PM
If TT can trade CW to move up 5-10 spots a get Stewart I'll be a happy camper. Then build OL depth in the second rd, and get a corner to develop behind Woodson and Harris in the third.

Partial
02-26-2008, 02:07 PM

How far up are you will to go? What would you be willing to give up? How long do you wait for him to drop?

I am willing to give up a third and Corey Williams (or a pick that results from Corey Williams) and our first.

I think Stewart is the best back in the draft. He looks strikingly similiar to Ahman Green to me, and I came away extremely impressed in the few Ducks games I watched this year.

KYPack
02-26-2008, 02:50 PM

I am willing to give up a third and Corey Williams (or a pick that results from Corey Williams) and our first.

I think Stewart is the best back in the draft. He looks strikingly similiar to Ahman Green to me, and I came away extremely impressed in the few Ducks games I watched this year.

Partial,

NO.

You don't trade a first, a 3rd, AND an established NFL DT just to move up a few spots to draft an untested rookie back. That's a dumb trade and you would be the Cardinals, or the Raiders or some other lame team if you made such a foolish deal

The Leaper
02-26-2008, 03:09 PM
You don't trade a first, a 3rd, AND an established NFL DT just to move up a few spots to draft an untested rookie back.

I agree that you don't even consider this if high on cocaine...however, that is probably about what you would have to give up if you wanted to do it.

If you go by the draft value chart:

Our third round pick is worth 124 points.
Corey Williams is probably worth about 300 points.
Our first is worth 620 points.

Total package value: 1,044 points.

That would move us up to around pick #15 in a "fair" deal based on the value chart.

KYPack
02-26-2008, 03:16 PM
You don't trade a first, a 3rd, AND an established NFL DT just to move up a few spots to draft an untested rookie back.

I agree that you don't even consider this if high on cocaine...however, that is probably about what you would have to give up if you wanted to do it.

If you go by the draft value chart:

Our third round pick is worth 124 points.
Corey Williams is probably worth about 300 points.
Our first is worth 620 points.

Total package value: 1,044 points.

That would move us up to around pick #15 in a "fair" deal based on the value chart.

Agree with your first point. This would be a "Dan Devine/Dan Snyder" trade.

My other thing is the chart. That thing is pretty old now. Do you think it's still valid or being used? I don't really know, but I wonder.

Partial
02-26-2008, 04:04 PM
If you think the kid is going to be a 6-8 time all-pro like I do, its worth it. He is really, really good.

The Leaper
02-26-2008, 04:14 PM
My other thing is the chart. That thing is pretty old now. Do you think it's still valid or being used? I don't really know, but I wonder.

I think each draft is unique...some drafts you may value the top 10 picks higher due to more premium talent, others you may value 2nd or 3rd round talent higher. As such, I would have to imagine that all NFL teams now develop their own chart specific to each draft. At least that is how I would approach it as a GM.

That said, the difference probably won't be that great between a team developed chart and one you find on the internet. Most trades of picks actually turn out to be relatively close to the values listed on charts that sports outlets will refer to after the draft...the difference comes in how each team views the deal in their own specific situation.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Tyrone wants TT to make a splash.

Give up all our picks for Mcfadden. Ditka redux.

Partial
02-26-2008, 05:10 PM

Nah, Stewart is just as good and will cost a lot less. But I agree. We're close and need to make a splash.

RashanGary
02-26-2008, 05:24 PM
I think Mendenhall is the best runner in this draft. He's quick, explosive, fast powerfull all at the same time. He's the cross between McFadden and Stuart.

He's damn near as fast and quick as McFadden and he's damn near as big as Stuart. I like Mendenhall better than Adrian Peterson or McFadden.

Bretsky
02-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Last year Partial drooled over Adrian Peterson
Last year Partial appeared to be right

I'd have no problems seeing Stewart fall into the 20's and let TT make history with his first trade up in the draft as well.

Tarlam!
02-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Peterson is a stud. Please be careful with comparisons...

MJZiggy
02-26-2008, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't mind that either. I don't even follow college ball and I know who the kid is. It's going to be an interesting draft, folks.

twoseven
02-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Kid Stewart's a beast in the weightroom, ripped mutha, way too much man for the women on this site, but not too much man for Partial. He and Mendenhall really are almost like carbon copies of one another. IMO, Stewart's done it a little longer against better defenses overall (pac 10 vs big flopping ten, especially those UM sissies). But I'd take either one. No more problems on stinkin' 3rd/4th and 1 with those kind of backs taking the ball. Even Colledge and Spitz' blocking would get a pass with their burst at the line.

b bulldog
02-26-2008, 07:18 PM
I think a McFadden comparison to AP isn't that crazy. AP has a bit more power and Mc has more speed

Partial
02-26-2008, 08:34 PM
I think Mendenhall is the best runner in this draft. He's quick, explosive, fast powerfull all at the same time. He's the cross between McFadden and Stuart.

He's damn near as fast and quick as McFadden and he's damn near as big as Stuart. I like Mendenhall better than Adrian Peterson or McFadden.

No way is he in Peterson's league. Not even close.

oregonpackfan
02-26-2008, 08:54 PM
It's not inconceivable that with McFadden, Mendenhall, and Stewart on the board that one of the three will not fall within striking distance of #30 (within 5-10 picks?), considering which teams need what and where they lay in wait. Mendenhall or Stewart could be big time power runners at the next level, offer a team like GB a great chance to build a sustained power running game they seem to be lacking. Both bring an element of size and power that Grant does not have, while they do have his speed.

I think it is an accurate assessment that indeed one of those 3 RB's could be available for #30 choice.

Yes, as a Ducks fan I am biased towards Stewart because the guy has a rare blend of speed and power. I have watched him play the past two years and the guy is a legitimate #1 rounder.

I am also very impressed with McFadden and would actually rank him higher than Stewart in terms of speed and elusiveness.

Mendenhall is still a mystery to me as I only saw him play one game. I just don't have enough experience seeing him play to compare him to McFadden or Stewart.

RashanGary
02-26-2008, 09:28 PM

OK, because you said so :)

Mendenhall is a beast. I believe he's the best RB prospect in the last two years and this is from a guy who had Peterson as the #1 player in last years draft (before the season proved me right).

Partial
02-26-2008, 09:47 PM
OK Collins. Mendenhall is good but he isn't THAT good. You and Mike Mayock must be watching the same film.

RashanGary
02-26-2008, 09:55 PM
OK Collins. Mendenhall is good but he isn't THAT good. You and Mike Mayock must be watching the same film.

He's got a great blend of size, quickness, explosiveness and speed. I can see guys like Peterson and McFadden having durablity issues. Mendenhall is just packed tighter than the rest of them.

Stuart is big and I think he'll be good but he's like Mendenhall without being quite as sudden.

You don't hear a scout anywhere saying a word about Mendenhall. Know why? They want him to drop. Harry Sydney thinks he's the best in the draft too.

b bulldog
02-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Nick, how many Illini games have you seen? mendenhall is good and Sydney likes him but Sydney also stated to day that B Jack isn't very good and may really struggle to make the team next season. McFadden is #1, mendenhall and Stewart are 2a and 2b.

the_idle_threat
02-27-2008, 12:53 AM

But don't make McFadden wear a bride's dress for a magazine cover shoot. I suspect the fallout from that affair is what sent ol' Ricky over the edge to Crazytown ...

Dikka prolly tore him up pretty bad that night. :shock:

RashanGary
02-27-2008, 07:02 AM
I like shorter NFL backs. I think they tend to be packed tighter, avoid big hits, dish out bigger hits, move quicker and have better balance.

Tall backs look great in shorts and many of them play pretty damn well. I like backs between 5'9 and 6'0

Bossman641
02-27-2008, 11:36 AM

Mendenhall is a beast. I believe he's the best RB prospect in the last two years and this is from a guy who had Peterson as the #1 player in last years draft (before the season proved me right).

Whoa there JH.

Mendenhall is a beast, I've seen him play plenty of times but he is no Peterson. He doesn't have nearly the burst that Peterson does and is not quite as shifty in the open field.

He does hit the holes very hard and always falls forward.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-27-2008, 11:56 AM

We went thru this before and you were proven wrong.

His stats are better than peterson.

Do we have to do this again?

Zool
02-27-2008, 12:19 PM
AP dominated as a true freshman.

Mendenhall couldn't beat out Pierre Thomas Jr. for 2 seasons.

Peterson couldn't stay healthy, and thats the biggest knock. If AP stays healthy, he'll end up with a better pro career IMO.

Partial
02-27-2008, 12:54 PM

We went thru this before and you were proven wrong.

His stats are better than peterson.

Do we have to do this again?

I don't believe that for a second and don't remember that. Also, the quality of the defenses faced is different. Peterson is a super stud. Mendenhall looks like a solid prospect.

Partial
09-16-2009, 11:55 PM

Peterson is way faster than McFadden and Mendenhall. He may not have amazing timed speed (I think he ran a 4.3x at the combine), but he is fastest and strongest player in pads.

That said, I still wish we had this guy. He's going to be excellent. Carolina will be a better team once they stop throwing the ball and just run with their two solid backs.

mission
09-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Why would you even bump this thread?

Your big victory Mendenhalll/AP toldyaso is hardly impressive... plus, isn't JS injured right now ??

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Why would you even bump this thread?

Your big victory Mendenhalll/AP toldyaso is hardly impressive... plus, isn't JS injured right now ??

And wasn't that the knock on him coming out of college?

Scott Campbell
09-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Looks like I was right that Chris Johnson would be the best of this bunch. I also nailed Steve Slaton as a sleeper.

Partial
09-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Looks like I was right that Chris Johnson would be the best of this bunch. I also nailed Steve Slaton as a sleeper.

Yeah, dude is lightning fast and outrageously good. He'll be a top 3-4 runner very soon. He was the fastest guy on the field against the Pack.

Fritz
09-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Have Stewart and Mendenhall done anything yet?

mission
09-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Obviously not or Partial wouldn't be talking about Slaton now... this one definitely backfired. LOL

Partial
09-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Have Stewart and Mendenhall done anything yet?

Stewart looked like a future all-pro as part of the two headed monster in Carolina last year. Too bad Delhomme self-destructed :(

mission
09-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Did Stewart get hit by the self destruction shrapnel?

Scott Campbell
09-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Yeah, dude is lightning fast and outrageously good. He'll be a top 3-4 runner very soon. He was the fastest guy on the field against the Pack.

Agreed, but I was kidding about calling those 2.