PDA

View Full Version : Pats Colvin; Skins Lloyd + more cut today...

packers11
02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Patriots released LB Rosevelt Colvin.

His $5.5 million base salary combined with a foot injury sealed his fate. We're still surprised because they are very thin and old at the position. Colvin had his moments in New England, but ultimately was a letdown after the big deal he signed in 2003. Colvin becomes one of the best free agent linebackers available. Feb. 26 - 2:39 pm et
Source: Boston Globe

Redskins cut WR Brandon Lloyd.

Lloyd was due a $1.8 million roster bonus in July, and the Redskins got a jump start on relieving themselves of the huge bust. Lloyd could end up in Chicago, where his former college coach, Ron Turner, is now the Bears' offensive coordinator.
Source: Washington Post

Chiefs released WR Eddie Kennison.

The Chiefs have made it painfully clear that they're planning on starting a youth movement, leaving little room for the 35-year-old in Kansas City. Kennison was slowed by injuries this season, and made just 13 catches.

Jets waived G Adrien Clarke.

Clarke filled departed LG Pete Kendall's spot, and was a big reason the entire New York offensive line took huge strides backward. The former seventh-round pick will likely compete for a reserve spot wherever he signs.

Jets released CB Andre Dyson.

After a solid 2006, Dyson lost his starting job to Darrelle Revis in camp, and quickly found himself in Eric Mangini's doghouse. By the end of the season, he wasn't even active on game days.

Jets released WR Justin McCareins.

McCareins was due a $2.5 million roster bonus in March, which wasn't going to happen for a wide receiver coming off a 19-catch season. He was well-thought of before stalling in New York, so he'll likely sign a more reasonable contract and compete for a No. 3 job elsewhere. Tennessee is a possibility.

HarveyWallbangers
02-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Most of these guys were FAs that got decent money, and then did very little for their new teams. At the time they were signed, I'm sure their fans were happy their team signed them. I wonder what the percentage of FAs end up working out well for their new team.
:D

Bretsky
02-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Most of these guys were FAs that got decent money, and then did very little for their new teams. At the time they were signed, I'm sure their fans were happy their team signed them. I wonder what the percentage of FAs end up working out well for their new team.

0 for 1 last year in Green Bay

packers11
02-26-2008, 06:18 PM
B... Frank Walker got decent money??? I don't think much people expected much out of him to begin with...

Bretsky
02-26-2008, 06:20 PM
B... Frank Walker got decent money??? I don't think much people expected much out of him to begin with...

yes, good point. He was a close to minimum guy who helped about that much

KYPack
02-26-2008, 06:39 PM

Yer right.

The "FA model" of building your team is at it's low. SF was thought to have totally turned themselves around. They also got little from their FA crop. We have to give TT a break whether we want to or not.

I've always felt that you can sign some "fringe" FA's and help your team, but maybe the KidsKidsKids theory is the most viable.

Thompson sure thinks so.

The Leaper
02-27-2008, 08:43 AM
I've always felt that you can sign some "fringe" FA's and help your team, but maybe the KidsKidsKids theory is the most viable.

Thompson sure thinks so.

I think it is just a fact that having players who are accustomed to your system is a huge advantage. Sure, a FA might have more talent...but they come in with no knowledge of your system and have an adjustment period.

Someone like Colledge, who hasn't shown much of anything in 2 years, is still more likely to suddenly turn it on in our system next year than a moderately talented free agent. However, the FA...if they are young and a good fit...may be a better long term option. But young FAs that are a good fit are hard to find.

hoosier
02-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Redskins cut WR Brandon Lloyd.

Lloyd was due a $1.8 million roster bonus in July, and the Redskins got a jump start on relieving themselves of the huge bust. Lloyd could end up in Chicago, where his former college coach, Ron Turner, is now the Bears' offensive coordinator.
Source: Washington Post

Watch out for the Bears next year. Now they just need to sign Mark Brunell or someone like that who can get those WRs the ball.

The Leaper
02-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Watch out for the Bears next year. Now they just need to sign Mark Brunell or someone like that who can get those WRs the ball.

I agree the Bears have potential, but until they get a capable QB and some consistent threats on offense I don't think they have a real chance.

Grossman and Ortin will be back in 2008...and I don't see them getting any other QB who will be capable of taking them back to a championship level. Brunell certainly can't...he should have been put out to pasture 4 years ago.

Zool
02-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Everytime a Bears thread comes up, i ask "who's going to run the ball?"

Just cause Mrs Howell III believes in Benson? He also believed in Wrex. See how far that got him? If they draft a RB and get a QB with an arm and a brain, then I'll consider them. Till then Bear down. Repeat we have a bear down.

http://www.bearsmart.com/images/CO'sDeadBear.gif

If someone could please photoshop some green into the shirts and add a couple player numbers plz.

Carolina_Packer
02-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Everytime a Bears thread comes up, i ask "who's going to run the ball?"

Just cause Mrs Howell III believes in Benson? He also believed in Wrex. See how far that got him? If they draft a RB and get a QB with an arm and a brain, then I'll consider them. Till then Bear down. Repeat we have a bear down.

http://www.bearsmart.com/images/CO'sDeadBear.gif

If someone could please photoshop some green into the shirts and add a couple player numbers plz.

It got them two wins over the Pack last year. :(

twoseven
02-27-2008, 02:05 PM
I know they need a QB bad, and the mocks suggest they take one. But with Mendenhall in state probably sitting there, how do the Bears not look at him as the RB they've always wanted since Neal Anderson. Then again, they seem to curse every good back they pick so Mendenhall's probably better off leaving home.

Charles Woodson
02-27-2008, 05:51 PM
On the eve of NFL free agency, which begins Friday, teams are cleaning up their rosters.

The Colts cleared close to $8 million in cap room Wednesday by releasing defensive tackle Anthony "Booger" McFarland and middle linebacker Rob Morris.

Both players, who entered last year's training camp as starters, spent much of the season on injured reserve. Morris participated in only 57 plays on the Colts defense last year. McFarland missed the entire season.

They were released after they both failed physicals.

Morris is a former No. 1 choice of the Colts who was an excellent run-stopper. During the Colts Super Bowl year in 2006, he moved to strong-side linebacker late in the year and helped improve the team's run defense with his tackling ability and toughness.

McFarland came to the Colts in a trade with the Tampa Bay Bucs in 2006 after Corey Simon was hurt. The Colts gave up a 2007 second-round choice to acquire him. He missed last season with a torn patella tendon.
-- John Clayton, ESPN.com

Titans cut Givens
The Titans released wide receiver David Givens Wednesday after two seasons in which he was bothered by injuries.

Givens, 27, signed a five-year, $24 million contract with the Titans after leaving the New England Patriots in free agency. He started 10 games in 2006, catching 59 passes for 738 yards. His season was cut short by a torn ACL, and he wasn't the same in 2007. He caught eight passes in five games.

The Titans saved $1.6 million of cap room by releasing him.

Thomas among Bills cuts
Veteran running back Anthony Thomas was one of three Bills players to have their contracts terminated by the team on Wednesday.

A seven-year NFL veteran and the league's rookie of the year in 2001, Thomas' numbers dwindled this season. Used mostly as a backup behind rookie first-round draft pick Marshawn Lynch, Thomas finished with career-lows in carries (36) and yards rushing (89).

Linebacker Coy Wire and cornerback Jerametrius Butler also had their contracts terminated. The Bills also waived offensive guard Aaron Merz, a 2006 second-round draft pick, who missed the entire season because of a shoulder injury.
-- The Associated Press

Vikings' QB Holcomb out
Quarterback Kelly Holcomb was released Wednesday by the Vikings, clearing room on the roster for another veteran to push starter Tarvaris Jackson.

Holcomb was 0-3 as a starter last season while Jackson was hurt. In his 11th year in the NFL, Holcomb completed only 50.6 percent of his passes (42-for-83) for 515 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

After spot duty for Indianapolis, Cleveland and Buffalo, Holcomb was traded to Philadelphia last March and then dealt to Minnesota during the last week of training camp when the Vikings were concerned about their depth at the position.

Jackson showed clear improvement down the stretch, but his erratic performances were a big reason why Minnesota missed the playoffs at 8-8. Coach Brad Childress has maintained that Jackson is still the starter, but has also left open the possibility of competition for the job.
-- The Associated Press

Browns release Roye
The Browns terminated the contract of defensive lineman Orpheus Roye on Wednesday, cutting loose one of their most productive players ahead of free agency.

A 12-year veteran, Roye battled knee injuries the past two seasons. The 35-year-old was scheduled to make $3 million in 2008.

Roye had a career-high 95 tackles for the Browns in 2005. He made five starts last season, appeared in 13 games and finished with 34 tackles.

Roye was drafted by Pittsburgh in 1996 and spent four seasons with the Steelers before joining the Browns as a free agent.
-- The Associated Press

Bucs going younger
The Buccaneers had a mini youth movement along their offensive line Wednesday by releasing veterans Kevin Carter and Greg Spires.

Carter, 34, came to the Bucs last year from Miami after he was released and signed a four-year, $25 million contract. He started 14 of the 16 games he played and had 43 tackles and three sacks. He has played for the Rams, Titans and Dolphins before joining the Bucs.

Spires, 33, played the past six seasons with the Bucs and was a full time starter until last year when he started eight games. He's a 10-year vet with experience with the Browns and Patriots. The Bucs saved $9.2 million with their releases.

Saints boot Mare
The Saints, who re-signed kicker Martin Grammatica, released kicker Olindo Mare Wednesday after he failed a physical. He came to the Saints in a trade from the Dolphins last year. He is a veteran of 11 NFL seasons.

RashanGary
02-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Wow, that was a crappy list of cuts. Not one player on there I'm even remotely interested in.

Lurker64
02-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Wow, that was a crappy list of cuts. Not one player on there I'm even remotely interested in.

Teams try to avoid cutting good players when they can avoid it. In the last 4-5 years teams have gotten a lot better at avoiding it.

superfan
02-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Teams try to avoid cutting good players when they can avoid it. In the last 4-5 years teams have gotten a lot better at avoiding it.

Teams have gotten better, and annual bumps in the salary cap has also helped teams retain the good players.

Quite a few of these cuts were recent FA busts.