PDA

View Full Version : Favre is pissing me off!

Brando19
02-27-2008, 11:15 AM
COME ON ALREADY! Free Agency starts in just hours. I think it's getting annoying, if not rude, that he doesn't inform the team. I could understand a little better if he was a Guard or a Special Teams player, but my gosh he's the QB!!! He leads our team! The team could sign a player in case Rodgers isn't ready if he retires! I'm a HUGE Favre fan...and this is starting to make me think he's a baby attracted to the attention.

Oh well...talk to me in a day or two and I'll be back on his bandwagon. :)

Lurker64
02-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Who are we going to sign in case Favre comes back that we wouldn't sign if Favre retires, and vice versa?

It seems to me that things are pretty simple. If Favre comes back, we know who the starter is. If Favre doesn't come back, we know who the starter is. Every other position is independent of the Quarterback. If Favre doesn't come back, you draft a QB a little higher and pick up a veteran off the scrap heap. If Favre does come back, you draft a QB a little lower, and you don't pick up a veteran QB.

But the kind of veteran backups you sign aren't the players who go quickly in free agency. You can always get Testaverde off of his couch, or something. In fact, nobody who's likely to go early on in Free Agency would be excited to compete with Craig Nall in order to see who backs up Rodgers.

In terms of the non-QB positions, Thompson should do the exact same thing whether or not Favre comes back. I expect this team to win next year, whether it's Favre or Rodgers starting.

Patler
02-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Who are we going to sign in case Favre comes back that we wouldn't sign if Favre retires, and vice versa?

It seems to me that things are pretty simple. If Favre comes back, we know who the starter is. If Favre doesn't come back, we know who the starter is. Every other position is independent of the Quarterback. If Favre doesn't come back, you draft a QB a little higher and pick up a veteran off the scrap heap. If Favre does come back, you draft a QB a little lower, and you don't pick up a veteran QB.

But the kind of veteran backups you sign aren't the players who go quickly in free agency. You can always get Testaverde off of his couch, or something. In fact, nobody who's likely to go early on in Free Agency would be excited to compete with Craig Nall in order to see who backs up Rodgers.

In terms of the non-QB positions, Thompson should do the exact same thing whether or not Favre comes back. I expect this team to win next year, whether it's Favre or Rodgers starting.

There is the possibility that Favre's indecision will impact the thinking of the free agents themselves. Crumpler, for example, might be more receptively to the Packers if he knows Favre will be back. An older vet wanting a shot at a Super Bowl, who is weighing offers from several teams, might not listen to GB if he thinks Favre will retire, or if he is uncertain about what Favre will do.

In that way, Favre's indecision could hurt.

Tarlam!
02-27-2008, 11:43 AM
I expect this team to win next year, whether it's Favre or Rodgers starting.

I agree with everything you wrote, except what I quoted. If A-Rod starts, I do NOT expect a winning season. I think he's OK at this stage, but I also think he's brittle. This kid is OK, but no Iron Man.

StPaulPackFan
02-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Personally, I'm not concerned when he makes his decision. The only folks that should be concerned are the Brass for the Packers. Everything that is coming out of the Packer's front office indicates that they are not pressing him for an answer.

Personally, I'm excited either way. If he comes back we get to see a Legend sling it for another year. If he doesn't, we get to find out if Rodgers is the real deal.

Patler
02-27-2008, 11:56 AM
I expect this team to win next year, whether it's Favre or Rodgers starting.

I agree with everything you wrote, except what I quoted. If A-Rod starts, I do NOT expect a winning season. I think he's OK at this stage, but I also think he's brittle. This kid is OK, but no Iron Man.

I'm willing to give Rogers a little bit of a break (no pun intended) before calling him brittle. I remember reading an article years and years ago about backup quarterbacks and injuries. Basically the article said a backup quarterback is very likely to suffer strains, pulls and other injuries (probably does not include a broken foot!). The article pointed out that the backup QBs get little work in practice and usually decline in physical readiness as the season progresses, not unlike a player coming off a long injury period of inactivity. They get absolutely no work during the game until suddenly called on to go in. They can loosen up all they want before the game starts, but not playing on special teams or in any other capacity if they come into the game they are completely cold and unprepared physically. Strains pulls and other injuries can result in that game or in the upcoming week. I believe Rodgers' was the very next practice.

MadtownPacker
02-27-2008, 12:01 PM
He will come back. He probably just doesn't want to think about football yet. Shit, I am barely able to post about it myself. I could understand if he wants to avoid it for a while. It is about that time that he says something so I think those who cant wait will get what they want in the next week or so anyways.

But if he did call it quits I would trust ARod to get DD and Jennings the ball. As long as he stays healthy of course.

The Leaper
02-27-2008, 12:26 PM
He will come back. He probably just doesn't want to think about football yet.

He might not want to, but it is his damn career choice. He is getting paid $10M a year to think about it, so claiming he might not want to think about it is a copout.

Try taking two months to make a meaningful decision at your job that your employer is waiting on and see how it works out.

The Packers owe it to Favre to give him a reasonable timeframe to make a decision. Favre owes it to Green Bay to make a decision in a reasonable timeframe. As Patler pointed out, this doesn't influence Thompson's decisions as much as it influences the decisions of free agents who are wondering where to sign.

I think 2 months is a reasonable timeframe...and I think Favre is bordering on becoming a diva again.

Partial
02-27-2008, 12:56 PM
I for one am sick of this annual game. It's ridiculous and obnoxious. Favre just loves the attention.

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2008, 12:57 PM
There is the possibility that Favre's indecision will impact the thinking of the free agents themselves. Crumpler, for example, might be more receptively to the Packers if he knows Favre will be back. An older vet wanting a shot at a Super Bowl, who is weighing offers from several teams, might not listen to GB if he thinks Favre will retire, or if he is uncertain about what Favre will do.

Actually, it could help. I think most assume Favre will be back. Let's say he doesn't come back. Maybe some FAs sign here thinking that Favre will come back.

I think there's a growing belief that Aaron Rodgers might not be bad, so I don't see that FAs will really be that affected. Maybe some of the guys in their 30s looking for short deals, but Thompson doesn't sign those guys anyways.

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm to the point where I haven't given it an ounce of thought. In all likelihood, it has little impact on the team.

Zool
02-27-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm to the point where I haven't given it an ounce of thought. In all likelihood, it has little impact on the team.

Yarp. Other than the posts here I haven't bothered to even think about it. It's on about the same level as the Clemens hearings for me.

Packgator
02-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Favre just loves the attention.

I don't think so. I think he simply doesn't know. If he knew he was coming back he would have said so by now. I think he is right at 50/50. Which makes the decision tough......so you take more time. The longer he takes to decide.....the greater the chance he is done.

twoseven
02-27-2008, 01:51 PM

This would suck and I would be pissed if a FA we wanted turned us down because of #4's undertermined status, be it Algae Crumpler or Scott the G from Indy. I would be selfish for pushing Favre, but pissed nonetheless, especially considering the FAs we might be looking at seem most likely to be in Brett's huddle in September if they're anywhere on our team. We do know that Crumpler was going to talk with us at the combines. Wonder how that conversation might have gone with Favre still up in the air. AC did say he wants to go to a place and win.

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2008, 01:59 PM
AC will likely go to the place that gives him the biggest contract.

PackerBlues
02-27-2008, 02:22 PM
A couple of weeks ago while flipping through the channels on tv, I came across the NFL network re-showing the Packers vs. Giants game. Since I caught it at the start of the game, I decided to watch it............... until the first time I saw Harris get burned, and I actually found myself yelling "WTF HARRIS!!!!!!". :oops: lol, yelling at a rerun. At that point, I started flipping through the channels again, cause I just couldnt take it.

Can anyone really blame Favre for wanting to take his time to make this decision? I can only imagine how hard it must be for him to put last year behind him, and I think the guy deserves time to just relax for a while without worrying about football.

As far as Free Agents not wanting to come to GB if Favre is not here, I just do not buy into the idea. I have not seen Thompson sign a big name player in free agency yet, and that was with Favre still on the roster.

Listing in order of what a Free agent thinks when considering coming to GB:

#1 How much money will I make?

#2 Is this a team that can make the playoffs?

#3 Isn't it supposed to be cold in GB?

#4 Will I "fit in" in GB?

#5 Can I get an electric uniform?.....cause I heard it was cold in GB.

#1,051 I wonder if Brett Favre is gonna play this year.

Patler
02-27-2008, 02:31 PM

Do you really think that free agent players do not consider your reason #1,051 impacts your reason #2? I would be willing to bet that in most player's minds the two are directly related.

The Leaper
02-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Do you really think that free agent players do not consider your reason #1,051 impacts your reason #2? I would be willing to bet that in most player's minds the two are directly related.

I completely agree.

If a player is wondering whether or not Green Bay is a legitimate title/playoff contender, then Favre's return certainly would weigh heavily into their decision.

This team isn't going to do shit if we have to rely on Aaron Rodgers behind that mediocre interior OL. Rodgers might be a decent QB, but only a highly experienced QB can make things happen behind the OL we currently have. Experience is something Rodgers does not have.

So, in some respect, Favre's return DOES impact Thompson...you have to think he might value bringing in a veteran interior OL player more if he knew Favre was not returning.

PackerBlues
02-27-2008, 03:30 PM

I am sure that you are right, but I am also sure that no free agent is going to make a decision based solely on Favre being in GB or not. It is Thompson's job to bring talent to GB. If he cannot convince a free agent that Rogers can lead this team, or that the team can win without Favre, then I would argue that Thompson is not doing his job, long before I started crying about Favre needing to make a decision right away, or before the start of Free Agency.

Patler
02-27-2008, 03:37 PM
I am sure that you are right, but I am also sure that no free agent is going to make a decision based solely on Favre being in GB or not. It is Thompson's job to bring talent to GB. If he cannot convince a free agent that Rogers can lead this team, or that the team can win without Favre, then I would argue that Thompson is not doing his job, long before I started crying about Favre needing to make a decision right away, or before the start of Free Agency.

I doubt that a player looking for a shot at the Super Bowl is that analytically. It is simple in their miinds, "Do you have a proven QB to lead the team? No? I'll see you next time my contract expires!" :D

Brando19
02-27-2008, 03:43 PM

You're not making any sense. Favre being in Green Bay is HUGE in signing certain free agents...especially one's like Feneca who's older and wanting to win. Let's look at the NBA. Does anyone...ANYONE want to be traded to the Knicks? Absolutely not! What if the Knicks had a Kobe or a Shaq? Do you think that would sway their decision? Yes. The same goes for Green Bay this year. Favre needs to make up his mind. I agree he deserves time to decide. But why the hell does he tease with "I'd like to continue playing," about a month ago...then they lose the NFC Championship...then he says his decision will be quicker than last year...but it hasn't been. AHHH! It's just a little annoying as a fan.

twoseven
02-27-2008, 04:10 PM
It is Thompson's job to bring talent to GB. If he cannot convince a free agent that Rogers can lead this team, or that the team can win without Favre, then I would argue that Thompson is not doing his job, long before I started crying about Favre needing to make a decision right away, or before the start of Free Agency.
How is TT supposed to convince a prospective free agent pickup that AR is good enough (to pick up right where Brett left off) when AR has been holding a clipboard for three years? If TT can swing that he is truly magical.

PackerBlues
02-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Well then I suppose everyone here must believe that GOD told Reggie White to come to GB, because Favre was a nobody at that time. :roll:

How about when Moss signed with the Raiders in 2005? It must have been because he knew that Kerry Collins could lead the team to the Super Bowl. :roll:

A free agent can be motivated by a lot of different things, and personally, I think it is kind of silly for anyone to say that GB's ability to attract free agents hinges on Favres return/decision. It is Thompson's job to find out what it will take to bring a guy to a GB team that may or may not have Favre on the roster. If you do not see the free agent that you like sign with GB, blame Thompson, he gets paid to bring in the talent. Favre is just the QB. (Hopefully :) )

oregonpackfan
02-27-2008, 04:14 PM
I truly appreciate all Favre has accomplished in leading the Packers. In addition, he has my respect as a player and a person.

That said, I never considered Favre a thoughtful, insightful, person the past few years when it comes to making a decision. He does not seem to be the type of person to reflectively weigh the pros and cons about retiring.

He seems much more evasive as well as impulsive in making the retirement decision. It appears he just procrastinates about the decision. In time, he will consider such factors as his wife's influence, the Packers' Super Bowl chances, etc. than suddenly make a decision.

My viewpoint is not intended as derogatory towards Favre. It just is my perspective on how he comes to make his decision.

twoseven
02-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Well then I suppose everyone here must believe that GOD told Reggie White to come to GB, because Favre was a nobody at that time. :roll:
Favre IS one of the reasons Reggie came to GB. Reggie came right out and said the toughness Brett exhibited against his Eagles, playing hurt after Reggie smoked him and leadng GB to a win (I think), was one of the things that showed him Brett was capable of leading a winning team, the kind of QB that could lead a team to a championship. I'm confused by the rolling eyes.

PackerBlues
02-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Wasn't it around this time last year that people in these very same forums were bitching because Favre made it known that he wanted Randy Moss to play in GB.

I seem to remember people saying that Favre should keep his mouth shut, because he is just a player, and that he had no right to talk to the media about who he wanted Thompson to sign. That it was Thompson's job to worry about free agents, and not Favre's.

Well, Favre is under contract to play as the QB for the Packers.......... and he is keeping his mouth shut. What does it take to make a fan happy? :huh:

twoseven
02-27-2008, 04:23 PM
A free agent can be motivated by a lot of different things, and personally, I think it is kind of silly for anyone to say that GB's ability to attract free agents hinges on Favres return/decision.
Patler didn't say it was all about Favre, he said it was about coming to a team that was 13-3 and one away from the SB. It's not about Brett, it's about Brett as QB makes GB one of the best teams in the league, AR does not. FAs wanting primarily to go to one of the best teams in the league are out there, and they know (or at least can guess) the difference between the Favre Packers and the Rodgers Packers.

Patler
02-27-2008, 04:23 PM

How about when Moss signed with the Raiders in 2005? It must have been because he knew that Kerry Collins could lead the team to the Super Bowl. :roll:

A free agent can be motivated by a lot of different things, and personally, I think it is kind of silly for anyone to say that GB's ability to attract free agents hinges on Favres return/decision. It is Thompson's job to find out what it will take to bring a guy to a GB team that may or may not have Favre on the roster. If you do not see the free agent that you like sign with GB, blame Thompson, he gets paid to bring in the talent. Favre is just the QB. (Hopefully :) )

OK, now you have me confused. I'm not sure when you are being sarcastic in the above.

Reggie White specifically said one of the reasons he came to GB was BECAUSE of Favre. He said he hit him with everything he had, and Favre just shook it off (later to find out he had a partial separation of a shoulder). White said that and the way Favre played convinced him the Packers were headed in the right direction.

Who said their ability to attract FAs "hinges on Favres return/decision"? It may not affect some at all. But for some, like a vet looking for a Super Bowl, or a receiver comparing opportunities with teams with proven QBs or possibly the unproven Rodgers, I think it is unreasonable to assume it will have no effect.

I don't remember, how much control did Moss have in going to Oakland? Wasn't it a straight trade without a renegotiated contract? He may not have had much influence on it at all. His departure from Oakland was much different, because any trade hinged on a new contract with Moss. He had much more control.

RashanGary
02-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Eh, who cares about Favre. Stay or go, I could care less. He's short term anyway.

I think he's holding off because he wants McCarthy to tell him he can stay home for OTA's and minicamps. Instead, MM told him to take his time and to make sure he's completely committed. I'd consider completely committed to mean committed to coming to all of the practices in their completeness just like the rest of the team :)

Good. If you don't like it, hang up the cleats. The NFL will march right on with him or without you.

PackerBlues
02-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Sorry Patler, not trying to be sarcastic. Not really anyway. :) The fact that the title of the main post was "Favre is pissing me off!" kind of offends me, because as you all know, I do like to defend Favre.

I get so sick of hearing about the retirement talk, especially when it is not Favre who is bringing it up. So let me just make this one last statement on the subject before I go to find another post to throw my opinions around in.............

If you put yourself in Brett's shoes, if you take the time to try to understand things from his point of view, then you would not be pushing for him to make his decision so soon. I would think that a major part of Brett's decision to come back would have to depend on what Thompson does with his draft picks, and on what moves (if any) Thompson makes in Free Agency. While some of you contend that if Brett would just make his decision known before Free Agency begins, it would make Thompsons job in signing free agents easier. Then you should understand that its a two way street, and I am sure that if Thompson would commit to signing better talent (O-line, hint hint), it would make Brett's decision to return for another season easier.

Patler
02-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Well, Favre is under contract to play as the QB for the Packers.......... and he is keeping his mouth shut. What does it take to make a fan happy? :huh:

Actually, if he HAD kept his mouth shut the last few years it wouldn't be a problem. But annually he proclaims that he just doesn't know if he will play or not. If he had kept his mouth shut, the assumption is that a player will play until he declares his retirement. Instead, Favre continually announces his maybe, perhaps, intention to possibly play, or not; he just isn't sure yet! :lol:

Patler
02-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Sorry Patler, not trying to be sarcastic. Not really anyway. :) The fact that the title of the main post was "Favre is pissing me off!" kind of offends me, because as you all know, I do like to defend Favre.

I get so sick of hearing about the retirement talk, especially when it is not Favre who is bringing it up. So let me just make this one last statement on the subject before I go to find another post to throw my opinions around in.............

If you put yourself in Brett's shoes, if you take the time to try to understand things from his point of view, then you would not be pushing for him to make his decision so soon. I would think that a major part of Brett's decision to come back would have to depend on what Thompson does with his draft picks, and on what moves (if any) Thompson makes in Free Agency. While some of you contend that if Brett would just make his decision known before Free Agency begins, it would make Thompsons job in signing free agents easier. Well, its a two way street, and I am sure that if Thompson would commit to signing better talent (O-line, hint hint), it would make Brett's decision to return for another season easier.

TT built the roster to a team that went 13-3 and got to the NFC Championship game. What more does he have to show Favre? Favre should just trust him a little bit.

Favre's lack of decision making doesn't really bother me. I just think it is kind of pathetic that a person in his position has played it out the way he has for so many years now. "Defecate or get off the receptacle already!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

PackerBlues
02-27-2008, 05:01 PM
TT built the roster to a team that went 13-3 and got to the NFC Championship game. What more does he have to show Favre? Favre should just trust him a little bit.

Favre's lack of decision making doesn't really bother me. I just think it is kind of pathetic that a person in his position has played it out the way he has for so many years now. "Defecate or get off the receptacle already!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess that is the point though. Thompson built a Championship team. That is what should attract Free Agents, and I think it is the Free Agents that need to trust Thompson, because that is who they will be negotiating with, not Favre.

If Favre were to say tomorrow that he is going to return for at least one more season, how would that effect a free agent in any way? Would that free agent only be willing to sign for one year then? Would he demand that there be a clause in his contract that he should be allowed to seek a trade upon Favre's retirement? Does all of this seem a little far-fetched and silly? :eyes:

So then what if Favre were to announce tomorrow that he was not going to return for another season, and that he is in fact retiring? :cry: :cry: :cry:
yeah, I would probably cry a little, but I am sure that I would get over it, and so would everyone else.......... including the free agents. :wink:

Patler
02-27-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't think any free agent that isn't out just for the money would think it doesn't matter to him whether Favre plays or not. The same can be said for Manning, Brady and some others. The QB is just too key to team performance.

I actually agree with you to some extent about Favre's age and even eventual retirement. I even argued (on another day, in another thread:lol: ) that Favre no longer attracts free agents because they never know if he will play the following year or not. However, for a free agent that wants one last good opportunity to get to the Super Bowl, the Packers with Favre for even for one year present an opportunity that some other teams may not, or that the Packers may not without Favre.

PackerBlues
02-27-2008, 05:24 PM
heh heh, yeah, but what are the chances that Thompson would even consider signing a free agent that is looking for "one last chance" at a super bowl? Most anyone that Thompson may be interested in signing as a free agent will more than likely be around the age of 27 I would think, and both parties (the Packers and the Free Agent) would be looking for a long term deal of at least four years or more. I do not think that anyone really expects Favre to stick around that long, so what does that say about the situation? :smk:

Brando19
02-27-2008, 06:10 PM

If you put yourself in Brett's shoes, if you take the time to try to understand things from his point of view, then you would not be pushing for him to make his decision so soon. I would think that a major part of Brett's decision to come back would have to depend on what Thompson does with his draft picks, and on what moves (if any) Thompson makes in Free Agency. While some of you contend that if Brett would just make his decision known before Free Agency begins, it would make Thompsons job in signing free agents easier. Then you should understand that its a two way street, and I am sure that if Thompson would commit to signing better talent (O-line, hint hint), it would make Brett's decision to return for another season easier.

You're offended by the title? Haha...get over it. So let's put on Brett's shoes for a minute. I'm rich...I'm very very rich. I have 3 MVP's, I have all the records the NFL has to offer (my favorite is the streak record), I have only 1 Super Bowl, but I've been twice. Do I want to go out 3 points away from the Super Bowl? Do I want to go out with a terrible interception? Do I want to take a chance on leaving a team that's so close to the Super Bowl? I don't think so. I'm going to announce my decision for the team's and the fan's sake, I'm going to suck it up and attend the offseason programs, and I'm going to lead my team one last time to try and win the Super Bowl.

Now that I played your game, you said you're sick of the retirement talk when Favre doesn't even bring it up. Hmmmm....I believe he's brought it up enough already, even in the last month.

PackerBlues
02-27-2008, 06:18 PM

You're offended by the title? Haha...get over it. So let's put on Brett's shoes for a minute. I'm rich...I'm very very rich. I have 3 MVP's, I have all the records the NFL has to offer (my favorite is the streak record), I have only 1 Super Bowl, but I've been twice. Do I want to go out 3 points away from the Super Bowl? Do I want to go out with a terrible interception? Do I want to take a chance on leaving a team that's so close to the Super Bowl? I don't think so. I'm going to announce my decision for the team's and the fan's sake, I'm going to suck it up and attend the offseason programs, and I'm going to lead my team one last time to try and win the Super Bowl.

Now that I played your game, you said you're sick of the retirement talk when Favre doesn't even bring it up. Hmmmm....I believe he's brought it up enough already, even in the last month.

:drma: :drma: :drma: and????

Brando19
02-27-2008, 06:26 PM

:drma: :drma: :drma: and????

Are you a TO fan or something? WTF?!

PackerBlues
02-28-2008, 02:22 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/trickyblue/favreretiresbullshit.jpg

And somehow I suppose all of this shit today was all Brett's fault too?

:taunt: