PDA

View Full Version : Intriguing FAs

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Guys that are intriguing to me for what I think Thompson will pay at the position and who likely fit our schemes.

G Jake Scott, Rex Hadnot
LB Demorrio Williams, Landon Johnson
S Gibril Wilson

Maybe a backup RB like Derrick Ward, Jesse Chatman, or Mewelde Moore (although I'm not sure he's a good fit for the zone blocking scheme). TE Ben Troupe might also be somebody to look at. He mostly bombed in Tennesse, but has talent. He could blossom elsewhere--much like Donald Lee did.

ESPN's John Clayton:

The smart teams, as noted, will focus on keeping their own guys. A year ago, the Packers signed only backup cornerback Frank Walker in free agency and won 13 games. The Colts signed three minimum-salary free agents (none made the team) and also won 13 games. The Chargers didn't sign a single free agent and won 11.

GrnBay007
02-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Harv, one of the guys you mentioned made this list:

The following rankings are the best available players at each position, along with a list of "the valued six," players who might be able to be had for better value than the so-called top-tier players.

THE TOP 10 OVERALL

1. CB Asante Samuel, New England

2. LB Lance Briggs, Chicago

3. WR Randy Moss, New England

4. T Flozell Adams, Dallas

5. RB Michael Turner, San Diego

6. WR Bernard Berrian, Chicago

7. G Alan Faneca, Pittsburgh

8. WR D.J. Hackett, Seattle

9. DE Justin Smith, Cincinnati

10. LB Calvin Pace, Arizona

THE VALUED 6— (alphabetical order)

1. G Jacob Bell, Tennessee

2. C Jeff Faine, New Orleans

3. G Rex Hadnot, Miami

4. DE N.D. Kalu, Houston

5. DE Antwan Odom, Tennessee

6. S Madieu Williams, Cincinnati

The rest of the list....
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-02-24-free-agent-rankings_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Bretsky
02-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Guys that are intriguing to me for what I think Thompson will pay at the position and who likely fit our schemes.

G Jake Scott, Rex Hadnot
LB Demorrio Williams, Landon Johnson
S Gibril Wilson

Maybe a backup RB like Derrick Ward, Jesse Chatman, or Mewelde Moore (although I'm not sure he's a good fit for the zone blocking scheme). TE Ben Troupe might also be somebody to look at. He mostly bombed in Tennesse, but has talent. He could blossom elsewhere--much like Donald Lee did.

ESPN's John Clayton:

The smart teams, as noted, will focus on keeping their own guys. A year ago, the Packers signed only backup cornerback Frank Walker in free agency and won 13 games. The Colts signed three minimum-salary free agents (none made the team) and also won 13 games. The Chargers didn't sign a single free agent and won 11.

I like all of those guys as well; I hope TT brings in an OG like Scott but I'd be against it. Ward and Grant would make a real good combo. I've always liked Ben Troupe; my guess is his issue is what is between the ears because he has the ability.

HarveyWallbangers
02-28-2008, 01:39 AM
1. G Jacob Bell, Tennessee
2. C Jeff Faine, New Orleans
3. G Rex Hadnot, Miami
4. DE N.D. Kalu, Houston
5. DE Antwan Odom, Tennessee
6. S Madieu Williams, Cincinnati

I thought about Bell and Williams, but I don't think Bell fits our scheme as well as Hadnot and Scott. Williams might be good value, but I don't think he would give us a clear upgrade at the position. I think Wilson would. I think Odom will get overpaid. I don't think Kalu is a clear upgrade on a healthy Jenkins. Faine is a good OC, but I don't see them moving Wells.

twoseven
02-28-2008, 04:03 AM
Didn't we turn down a chance to send a decent pick in a trade for C Jeff Faine a few years back?

The Leaper
02-28-2008, 08:25 AM
I think Wells is capable enough if he's got capable OGs beside him. Wells is never going to be a Pro Bowl player, but he's smart and works hard. The problem is that he certainly isn't talented enough to hold up the interior on his own when there are critical breakdowns beside him.

HarveyWallbangers
02-28-2008, 09:24 AM
I think Wells is fine. The coaches seem to think he's a good player. I wish I knew if two of our young group of OGs would improve dramatically this year. At this point, I don't think you can bank on it, so I'd like to see a veteran OG brought in.

Guiness
02-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Didn't we turn down a chance to send a decent pick in a trade for C Jeff Faine a few years back?

Yes, Cleveland 'surplused' him after signing LeCharles Bentley a couple of years ago. He was a former first rounder, not a big contract, who went for a fourth rounder, I believe.

Did Bentley recover from his injury?

twoseven
02-28-2008, 04:39 PM

Yes, Cleveland 'surplused' him after signing LeCharles Bentley a couple of years ago. He was a former first rounder, not a big contract, who went for a fourth rounder, I believe.

Did Bentley recover from his injury?
That's right..they traded Faine because they had Bentley in his stead, then Bentley suffers the season ender and Faine is already gone, if remember correctly.

After some checking, Bentley has not played a game since his injury, but he appears to still be under contract with the Browns.

HarveyWallbangers
02-28-2008, 09:33 PM
I don't get too hyped on all of these rumors, but I thought others might be interested.

From FOX Sports:

There could be some players of interest, including Roosevelt Colvin, who recently was cut by New England at a salary-cap savings of $5.8 million. Colvin, 30, played in a 3-4 scheme with the Patriots the past five years but was a strong-side linebacker with Chicago his first four years in the league. He missed the last six games last season because of a foot injury. Colvin's agent, Kennard McGuire, was unavailable for comment on whether the Packers have contacted him about his client, who was free to sign with any team immediately after getting cut Tuesday. -- Green Bay Press-Gazette

HarveyWallbangers
02-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Worst FA report ever. I know I could do a better job.

He has Marquand Manuel listed as the 28th best S, but he doesn't have Gibril Wilson listed (and ahead of guys like Jake Scott). Just too funny.

28. S Marquand Manuel, Panthers: Very smart and a solid starter, although he can be exposed.

In case he missed it, Manuel was cut by Green Bay and then was a backup in Carolina. Plus, he sucks.

HarveyWallbangers
02-29-2008, 12:59 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3269418

Dolphins sign guard Smiley to 5-year, $25M deal

The first deal done in free agency made guard Justin Smiley of the 49ers smile.

Minutes after the opening in free agency, Smiley agreed to a five-year, $25 million deal with the Miami Dolphins. The deal includes $9 million of guaranteed money.

The 49ers let Smiley and tackle Kwame Harris hit the free agent market. Smiley goes to a Dolphins offensive line that is looking for three new starters and Smiley is the first acquisition to try and fill those needs.

$5M/year for an OG that was a disappointment for San Fran.

49ers sign RB Foster to two-year deal

The San Francisco 49ers got off to a good start in free agency by reaching deals with two unrestricted free agents and a running back who was cut by the Panthers.

The 49ers reached agreements Friday morning with Lions quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan and Vikings linebacker Dontarrious Thomas. They also signed former Panthers halfback DeShaun Foster to a two-year deal worth around $1.8 million.

O'Sullivan agreed to a one-year deal at the NFL minimum along with a $40,000 signing bonus. Thomas agreed to a two-year deal. Former Steelers cornerback and kick-returner Allen Rossum passed a physical Thursday and sign a one-year, $870,000 contract.

The 49ers will have Bengals defensive end Justin Smith in for a visit Friday.

Foster isn't a bad pickup for cheap. J.T. latches on with another team. Vikings disappointing LB goes to San Fran. He's a decent backup though, and I think he was a solid special teams player.

Davis signs 4-year, $16M deal

What is expected to be a hot free-agent market continued to sizzle Thursday when Houston Texans wide receiver Andre Davis became the second free-agent receiver to come off the market to re-sign with his team.

Davis agreed to a four-year, $16 million deal that included $8 million in guarantees. On Wednesday, the Tennessee Titans re-signed Justin Gage to a four-year, $14 million deal. They came off the market, but Randy Moss continues his negotiations with the Patriots.

What made the 28-year-old Davis valuable was his deep speed. He caught 33 passes last year for the Texans and had a 17.7 yard per catch average. In 2004 with the Browns, Davis had a 26.0 average and the following season with New England, he had a 21.1 average.

There was some thought Davis could have received a $5 million-a-year deal on the open market. In the end, he decided to stay with the Texans and hope to start on the other side of star receiver Andre Johnson.

Good, economical signing.

Panthers close to trading Jenkins to Jets

Nearly a year after starting the process, the Carolina Panthers are about to unload disgruntled defensive tackle Kris Jenkins. The Panthers and New York Jets have been in heavy trade discussions about the three-time Pro Bowler and a deal could be completed Friday, according to multiple sources. The Panthers tried to trade Jenkins before last year's draft but pulled back when they couldn't get a first-round pick in return.

Jenkins has been alternating good years with bad years recently. When he's healthy and motivated, he's very good. Too often, he hasn't been.

HarveyWallbangers
02-29-2008, 01:04 AM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/02/29/free-agency-has-begun.aspx

Vikings going after Bernard Berrian and Justin Smith (who is also rumored to being courted by San Fran). Smith "and his two sacks from last season" would fit right in with the Vikings.

Cole got the 2nd round tender. Morency the 3rd round tender. Williams shipped to Cleveland. Holliday not tendered.

Also, the consensus seems to be that the FA class is weak, and the draft is strong and deep.

HarveyWallbangers
02-29-2008, 10:17 AM
My expanded FA list. I don't think we'll break the bank, but these are some solid players who also might be good value.

QB Quinn Gray
RB Derrick Ward
WR Bryant Johnson, D.J. Hackett (possibly, might get
more money than I think)
TE Ben Troupe (change of scenery might do him good)
OG Jake Scott, Rex Hadnot
DE N.D. Kalu (weak group actually)
DT Randy Starks
LB Landon Johnson, Demorrio Williams, Victor Hobson,
Brandon Chillar (there are some decent LBs available)
CB I can't find any (this is a horrible group of
corners after Samuel)
S Yeremiah Bell, Eugene Wilson, Chris Crocker

Patler
02-29-2008, 10:35 AM
O'Sullivan will be with his 7th team in his 6th season. He must be the nicest, most supportive guy there is, otherwise I don't understand why teams keep signing him. He doesn't even hold for placekicks, does he? The only game action he has seen was last year, and in two of the four he was in for he didn't even attempt a pass. Even Craig Nall has more game experience than that (but just barely)!

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-29-2008, 10:51 AM
I really hope that we go after Scott because we really need to improve the interior o-line. I would be happy if we signed him to a similar deal that Smiley just signed.

Patler
02-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Rosevelt Colvin is an interesting player to me, depending on how much he thinks he is worth. He was Lance Briggs in Chicago before Lance Briggs. Losing him was considered a blow to the Bears, but then Briggs made people forget.

Colvin is a pretty effective pass rusher. He had 21 sacks in the two seasons before leaving Chicago, and has had seasons of 8.5 and 7.0 with the Patriots when he was healthy. If he could be gotten for a reasonable price he would fill a weakness.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Rosevelt Colvin is an interesting player to me, depending on how much he thinks he is worth. He was Lance Briggs in Chicago before Lance Briggs. Losing him was considered a blow to the Bears, but then Briggs made people forget.

Colvin is a pretty effective pass rusher. He had 21 sacks in the two seasons before leaving Chicago, and has had seasons of 8.5 and 7.0 with the Patriots when he was healthy. If he could be gotten for a reasonable price he would fill a weakness.

Not a bad idea, but with his age and recent injury history I don't know if he would be all that effective. Wouldn't hurt to bring him though.

Patler
02-29-2008, 11:24 AM

Not a bad idea, but with his age and recent injury history I don't know if he would be all that effective. Wouldn't hurt to bring him though.

I don't remember what his injury was this year, but he was available for all games in '04 '05 and '06, although early in '04 he was still slowed by his injury from '03. He's just 30, but seems like he should be older. If he doesn't demand a huge contract, I think he could help.

HarveyWallbangers
02-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Here's a solid deal. Mitchell was good for the Giants last year, and the Bills got him for relatively cheap.

Bills reach deal with LB Mitchell

Linebacker Kawika Mitchell has reached an agreement with the Buffalo Bills on a five-year, $17.5 million contract that includes $5 million worth of guaranteed money.

The five-year veteran started all 16 games for the Giants last season after being the team's only notable free-agent addition a year ago. He finished with 87 tackles, 3½ sacks and one interception in the regular season. He added two sacks in four playoff games, including one in the Giants' Super Bowl win over New England.

Not sure about this one. Porter certainly has talent, but he hasn't played up to it. Jacksonville did need a WR though.

Jaguars sign WR Porter

The Jaguars bolstered their receiving corps on Friday as they signed former Raiders wide receiver Jerry Porter to a six-year, $30 million deal that includes $10 million worth of guaranteed money.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-29-2008, 04:28 PM
They over paid for Porter. Man these type of deal are going to make signing players like Jennings very difficult when his time comes.

Freak Out
02-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Worst FA report ever. I know I could do a better job.

He has Marquand Manuel listed as the 28th best S, but he doesn't have Gibril Wilson listed (and ahead of guys like Jake Scott). Just too funny.

28. S Marquand Manuel, Panthers: Very smart and a solid starter, although he can be exposed.

In case he missed it, Manuel was cut by Green Bay and then was a backup in Carolina. Plus, he sucks.

"Although he can be exposed" ha ha.....

Charles Woodson
02-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Raiders | G. Wilson agrees to deal
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:29:21 -0800

Nancy Gay, of the San Francisco Chronicle, reports the Oakland Raiders have agreed to terms with free-agent SS Gibril Wilson (Giants) on a six-year deal worth $39 million, including a $16 million signing bonus.

Wilson signs with raiders