sad sad day.

MTPackerfan
02-28-2008, 11:36 AM
No Way!!! I really didn't expect this :shock:

KYPack
02-28-2008, 11:40 AM
From PFT...

FAVRE DONE?

Okay, we're a little leery right now because we swung and miss on this one back in 2006. But it looks a lot more official this time around.

A page on the Packers official web site announces that quarterback Brett Favre will retire. However, there's no mention of it on the front page of the team's official site.

So either it's accurate or the team has a dummy page ready in the event Favre quits or someone has hacked into the Packers' official site and posted a phony announcement.

Stay tuned.

Is it happening??????

PackerBlues
02-28-2008, 11:41 AM
To all of you assholes that have been bitching for Favre to make an announcement: Happy now?

Tyrone Bigguns
02-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Great News! Now we can go after those free agent QBs!!!! :roll:

The Leaper
02-28-2008, 11:43 AM
I don't see anything anywhere else.

I would venture to guess CNN or ESPN could handle immediate announcements far more easily than Packers.com could.

Collapse
02-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Here is the text from packers.com

"Packers GM Ted Thompson this afternoon held a brief press conference to address questions from the media regarding today's announcement.

Stay tuned to Packers.com for a complete transcript, audio and video of today's press conference."

seems odd. if there was a press conference wouldnt it be all over the news outlets. I am leaning towards pft's take that the page was set up in the event it did occur.

MTPackerfan
02-28-2008, 11:46 AM
I checked ESPN's site and didn't see anything yet

Lurker64
02-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Since there's no link to this story or mention of it on the Packers.com mainpage, I'm growing increasingly skeptical. You'd think they'd allow people to navigate to "Breaking News" from the main page.

It's also a less professional looking webpage (they actually include the link to who built it in the lower corner) and its lack of content is suspicious. You'd think that all the Green Bay news sources would have pages and pages and pages of stories to run in case Favre retires.

PackerBlues
02-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Not seeing anything on any other site.......and not even on packers.com. If this is a joke, it is a good one.......... just not very funny!

KYPack
02-28-2008, 11:51 AM
I think it's a phony.

Anybody that gets any confirm, post it, ya know?

(Like ya wouldn't anyhow!)

MTPackerfan
02-28-2008, 11:53 AM
didn't see anything on JSOnline either.

PackerBlues
02-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Damn it, I wasted a good hour writing a post bashing Thompson (mainly out of boredom :wink: ) that I just deleted because of this "breaking news". If this is fake..........

I hope it is. :(

Tyrone Bigguns
02-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Gotta be fake.

There isn't even a link from the News page.

Lurker64
02-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Anybody want to call the Green Bay Packers to see if this is a hoax? They probably want to know that somebody is pretending to be them if it is.

Rastak
02-28-2008, 11:58 AM
It looks like a framework for a story, as it has a few placeholders. It's either there for release later today or it was setup just in case he did decide to retire.

I'm guessing it's "just in case".

Cheesehead Craig
I cannot even get to it anymore, I think it's been found out

PackerBlues
anybody wanna hunt down whoever started this hoax and beat his ass? :)

You would think that Favre's own website would carry this news......nothing there either.

http://www.officialbrettfavre.com/news/

MTPackerfan
02-28-2008, 12:00 PM

You would think that Favre's own website would carry this news......nothing there either.

Good point

KYPack
02-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Ir's a phony.

Somebody hacked into the Pack site and found that page, then made a link to it.

I just got this when I accessed the link:

Authorization Required
This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS) Server at packers.com Port 80

People undoubtedly called the Packers who blocked access to the page.

Zool
02-28-2008, 12:03 PM
The site is now asking for a pwd.

Lurker64
02-28-2008, 12:03 PM
My guess is they just had the "Favre to retire" page lying around somewhere so they don't have to rebuild it when it actually happens, and somebody just found it. There's probably a "Favre to Return!" page on Packers.com somewhere, but they might be currently restricting access to it.

Rastak
02-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Ir's a phony.

Somebody hacked into the Pack site and found that page, then made a link to it.

I just got this when I accessed the link:

Authorization Required
This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS) Server at packers.com Port 80

People undoubtedly called the Packers who blocked access to the page.

Highly unlikely it was hacked. They'd put it on the front page, wouldn't they? Like I said, it was either staged there or just in case.

KYPack
02-28-2008, 12:05 PM

Welllll,

You could start with "collapse"

Zool
02-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Some web admin is currently getting his ass chewed for dropping that onto the production dir on their apache server.

MadtownPacker
02-28-2008, 12:07 PM
It has to be a just in case page. I get the feeling if he had let TT know this would be out already.

Of course the team alway seem to do big announcements around noon.

Lurker64
02-28-2008, 12:07 PM
After all, if you worked on the Packers webpage staff and were planning on quitting, this would be a good way to leave a little "remember me" present. I have no doubt that professional sporting teams have all sorts of placeholder pages and stories for things that are likely to happen eventually, for e.g. "Favre Retires", "Kyle Orton Wins Pie-Eating Contest", "Matt Milen Fired", etc.

PackerBlues
02-28-2008, 12:09 PM
yeah, it was on the "breaking news" page, which does not even have a link to it from the main site. I am guessing that is where they keep future possibility projects .......... so they are not to far behind the competition when or if, the news breaks.

Lurker64
02-28-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm also guessing that one of the reasons the major media outlets (ESPN, WTMJ, JSO, etc.) weren't running with this story is that their first reaction was to say "Hmm, and call the Packers."

BF4MVP
02-28-2008, 12:14 PM
It's a bunch of crap..I'm pissed though because I let so many people know that he was retiring and now I have to let them all know it was a hoax..

MadtownPacker
Collapse - Did you get to see the page? What did it say?

Collapse
This is all part of TT's diabolical plan to nudge Favre out the door.

KYPack
02-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Whoaa.

That was a rush for a second.

I wouldn't have cared if it was one of the crazy sites, but the Pack site?

That had me goin' for a minute.

When no other site had anything, ya know its a fubar.

BF4MVP
02-28-2008, 12:15 PM
I saw it. It looked like a page from packers.com that said "breaking news: Favre to retire"..

PackerBlues
02-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, sorry for calling you guys who wanted Favre to make an announcement "assholes". :oops: I really just think you guys are just butt holes! :lol:

I gotta go make a snack and think about weather or not I wanna go rewrite my Thompson bashing post. :roll:

If anyone manages to find out who was behind this hoax, let me know, I will go with ya to "chat with him". heh heh :smack: :smack: :smack:

PlantPage55
02-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Here it is:

http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=47327782wj6.jpg

Lurker64
02-28-2008, 12:17 PM
I gotta go make a snack and think about weather or not I wanna go rewrite my Thompson bashing post. :roll:

I think after this traumatic experience it's time for solidarity, not something polarizing like "Let's fight about the GM again".

PackerBlues
02-28-2008, 12:26 PM

I think after this traumatic experience it's time for solidarity, not something polarizing like "Let's fight about the GM again".

Yeah, it was not much of a Thompson bashing post, as much as it was a post about getting ahead of ourselves in our love for Thompson (JH). It was an excellent piece, lol.........shame that I deleted it when I read about Favre's retirement. I am sure that you all would have loved it. :roll:

Just don't have it in me to try to rewrite it though............

Maybe tomorrow. :smk:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/trickyblue/favreretiresbullshit.jpg

Not looking forward to reading the real version of this story. At all !!!

MadtownPacker
02-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Here it is:

http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=47327782wj6.jpgOh shit. That looks, it looks fucking serious.

Merlin
02-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Web pages take minutes to make and even less time to make public. I don't like the looks of it. The only saving grace may be that some one (outside the Packer's organization) placed that page in that directory. It wouldn't be hard to spoof any webpage. If it is a hoax then directory was probably public by mistake and is now, is no longer public.

I seriously doubt they had this "lying around". Unless of course their Web design team needs more then 5 minutes to get a page up. Favre retiring would come from the Packers and released by the Packers giving them ample time to create a page.

If it wasn't an outside job, then I would take it fairly seriously. Of course that is the whole question right now.

PackerBlues
02-28-2008, 12:48 PM
OK, so where did you come up with the original link to the story Collapse?

there was no link to it from the main page......... so where did you get the link?

MadtownPacker
02-28-2008, 12:50 PM

there was no link to it from the main page......... so where did you get the link?If you read on the screenshot it looks like the main URL was getting redirected to this BREAKING NEWS page. So he hit it just by going to Packers.com.

The Leaper
02-28-2008, 12:50 PM
It LOOKS serious...

What told me it wasn't was the blurb on the right side that said this "breaking news" page was REPLACING the regular packers.com home page. I immediately typed in packers.com and the regular home page was still there.

Clearly, this is the framework for the page they are putting together for when Favre eventually does retire. I'm actually quite glad that the page looks as sparse as it does...so the Packer website staff doesn't have any info that he is about to quit either. If Favre did retire, that ugly page would be a slap in the face to Packer fans if that was all packers.com offered on the subject. I'm assuming they have far grander plans for it...but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

The Leaper
02-28-2008, 12:51 PM

there was no link to it from the main page......... so where did you get the link?If you read on the screenshot it looks like the main URL was getting redirected to this BREAKING NEWS page. So he hit it just by going to Packers.com.

No...going to packers.com DID NOT redirect you to this page today, although by the looks of it that is what the Packers were planning to do when Favre does hang them up.

I'm assuming Collapse got the info from PFT.

GrnBay007
02-28-2008, 12:51 PM
What is going on???

This is crazy.

Is there a press conference this afternoon?

FavreChild
02-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Could somebody please put "hoax" in the thread title to prevent people from having a heart attack when they log on???

Lurker64
02-28-2008, 12:54 PM
What is going on???

This is crazy.

Is there a press conference this afternoon?

I believe there is not. I believe this was just the unintended early revealing of the eventual "Favre Retires" page (because we know he's going to retire eventually, it makes sense that there'll be one.) I believe the Packers are currently acting as though this did not ever happen.

Favre, like Schrödinger's Cat, is in a superposition of "Retired" and "Returning". I suggest everyone just go back to their lives, that box will be opened when it's time.

The Leaper
02-28-2008, 12:55 PM
What is going on???

Absolutely nothing. Packers.com apparently was not secure enough with their "developmental" Favre retirement front page...and it was able to be accessed by the public, although only if you knew the specific address to find it by snooping around their active directory.

Someone did find it, PFT sniffed it out, and it went from there.

packinpatland
02-28-2008, 12:56 PM
I've been 'everywhere' looking for even a hint of this story...........there isn't one.
And if there's anything the media likes, it's a story on Favre..........
I think we can safely assume that right now, he's still coming back.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-28-2008, 01:01 PM
It LOOKS serious...

What told me it wasn't was the blurb on the right side that said this "breaking news" page was REPLACING the regular packers.com home page. I immediately typed in packers.com and the regular home page was still there.

Clearly, this is the framework for the page they are putting together for when Favre eventually does retire. I'm actually quite glad that the page looks as sparse as it does...so the Packer website staff doesn't have any info that he is about to quit either. If Favre did retire, that ugly page would be a slap in the face to Packer fans if that was all packers.com offered on the subject. I'm assuming they have far grander plans for it...but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have to disagree. Why would they have a breaking news page and then list stories on the right hand side.

If you were the packers you simply replace the current lead story...about the combine with a pic of Favre and a story.

The format doesn't follow anything resembling the current site. No top menu bar, no ADVERTISING..you think they advertisers wouldn't want to be viewed on that day?, no poll question, etc.

I think the site was simply hacked. Not hard to do.

The Leaper
02-28-2008, 01:05 PM
I have to disagree. Why would they have a breaking news page and then list stories on the right hand side.

I could see a tribute page that has all sorts of links to past Favre stories and stats. I agree it would look a hell of a lot better than this, but I'm suggesting this is merely a rough mock up or developmental page that wasn't designed to be a final product.

I suppose it could be a hack job...but if they were good enough to get most of the joke right, why was the page such a disaster in places? Go to all that work to hack a major sports website...for that?

Rastak
02-28-2008, 01:05 PM
It LOOKS serious...

If you were the packers you simply replace the current lead story...about the combine with a pic of Favre and a story.

The format doesn't follow anything resembling the current site.

I think your explanation is a crock of shit. Why would you hack a site then place your story one level deep? Why would you format your story with placeholders in it?

Why would it not look like the current format if it was going to be real? Because they'd get blasted with hits and most likely would disable all dynamic content off the main page and cache a static page so they didn't get buried.

It's easy to hack eh? How often has packers.com been hacked in the last 5 years, often?

Let's hear the thoeries as to why anyone would do that.

The Leaper
02-28-2008, 01:09 PM
I think your explanation is a crock of shit. Why would you hack a site then place your story one level deep? Why would you format your story with placeholders in it?

I agree with you Rastak.

This isn't a hack...but a screwup by packers.com. Someone created this page, either to be currently in development or as an example of something to be put into development, and then saved it out where the public could access it if they wanted to snoop around the site hard enough.

PackerBlues
02-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Well, what I found a little strange about the whole thing from the start was the fact that we have so many people here at Packerrats with 500, 1,000, 2,000 posts, and the guy that comes here to break this news to us all now has 7 posts with two of them in this thread.

Kinda makes a guy say hmmmmmm???

Tyrone Bigguns
02-28-2008, 01:10 PM

I could see a tribute page that has all sorts of links to past Favre stories and stats. I agree it would look a hell of a lot better than this, but I'm suggesting this is merely a rough mock up or developmental page that wasn't designed to be a final product.

I suppose it could be a hack job...but if they were good enough to get most of the joke right, why was the page such a disaster in places? Go to all that work to hack a major sports website...for that?

I worked in web dev..for a number of years. I think it was a hack.

Why wasn't it done better? Cause it didn't need to be. Look at the results on this forum for the simple page...hearts are stopping, emails sent, etc.

Also, why put much time in when you know it is going to be caught.

Lastly, it would be a ton of work to mirror the total pack site..all the links, all the ads, all the rotating content.

Nope, this was a hack. Something tells me that the best I.T. guys don't work for the packers...and actually for most small companies.

vince
02-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Here's the explanation from the Packers - at the bottom of the blog entry.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/02/28/no-retirement-announcement-coming-cook-says.aspx

The Leaper
02-28-2008, 01:14 PM
It also could have been the work of a disgruntled worker...that might be the most plausible explanation of all. That person would have easy access to the website and could easily stash something where only he knew where to look.

Most hackers attack the MAIN PAGE...they don't create some offshoot where you have to be told the address to find it.

As I pointed out, the main reason I immediately figured it wasn't true was the fact I went to check the packers.com home page, and it was still there.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-28-2008, 01:17 PM
It LOOKS serious...

The format doesn't follow anything resembling the current site.

Why would it not look like the current format if it was going to be real? Because they'd get blasted with hits and most likely would disable all dynamic content off the main page and cache a static page so they didn't get buried.

It's easy to hack eh? How often has packers.com been hacked in the last 5 years, often?

Let's hear the thoeries as to why anyone would do that.

I answered this below.

Why one level deep? Geez, so the spoof goes on longer. You don't think regular fans woulda been calling immediately if the whole front page was replaced? Get a grip.

Placeholders? Because it looks more real. And, it alleviates a hacker who is good at hacking from actually having to write content. When you create placeholders you use Ipso lorem..you don't say content will follow. It is a given that content will follow.

Let me ask you, if this wasn't a hack, and it is a placeholder..why doesn't it follow the normal layout? A placeholder would at least look real..just as easy to disable the links as it is to create a completely unprofessional looking page. And, if your theory is correct..why would they have links?

Easy to hack. Oh, i see...because it hasn't been done means that it isn't easy? Or because YOU AND I aren't aware of it means it hasn't happened. Most hacks are never reported. You think banks, biz, etc. report that...right. The last thing you want is people to know about a hack.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Ok. I'll say i'm wrong.

But, i will also say i'm not sure i believe Blumb.

The Leaper
02-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Let me ask you, if this wasn't a hack, and it is a placeholder..why doesn't it follow the normal layout?

That is why I believe it is a developmental page. The Packers are planning to have a major TRIBUTE front page, not just an update of their current one, when Favre does announce his retirement.

So, it certainly could look different...and nothing like the current layout.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Let me ask you, if this wasn't a hack, and it is a placeholder..why doesn't it follow the normal layout?

That is why I believe it is a developmental page. The Packers are planning to have a major TRIBUTE front page, not just an update of their current one, when Favre does announce his retirement.

So, it certainly could look different...and nothing like the current layout.

I already said i was wrong, though i'm not completely buying Plumb.

Something just isn't right...why TT having a presser in the afternoon, the story links on the side...why from this year/day...and why do they break them into different days..when the news section doesn't do that?

If that is the way they develop...they are, to be kind, way behind.

packinpatland
02-28-2008, 01:53 PM
http://packers.com/breaking_news/

sad sad day.

Can we still tar and feather folks?................and run them out of town?

The Leaper
02-28-2008, 01:58 PM

Which is why you won't hear anything conclusive on this.

The Packers.com staff looks pretty dumb either way. Either they are too dumb to allow someone to plant this fake page, or they are too dumb to handle a development project properly.

packinpatland
02-28-2008, 02:01 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23377281/

Favre to retire? Bogus 'Net posting causes stir
But 'there's nothing to it,' Packers spokesperson says of quarterback

MSNBC News Services
updated 48 minutes ago
An Internet posting on the Green Bay Packers' official Web site caused a big stir in NFL nation on Thursday that reported that quarterback Brett Favre was going to announce his retirement.

The posting read, "Packers quarterback Brett Favre has announced that he will retire." The posting has since disappeared.

"There's nothing to it," Packers Public Relations Director Jeff Blumb told Newsradio 620 WTMJ.

Blumb said that the Web site prepare the story each year, in case the future Hall of Famer does decide to call it quits.

Favre's agent, James Cook, told Packers.com that he hasn't made a decision yet. Cook said the Web posting was a mistake.

New Packers president Mark Murphy believes Favre will return for another run at the Super Bowl.

“My guess is that he’s going to come back,” Murphy said Wednesday at a Milwaukee Press Club luncheon. “The team has gotten better around him and is in a position to really do great things next year.”

A message left with Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, wasn’t immediately returned.

Favre had a renaissance season in 2007, setting numerous league records leading the NFL’s youngest team to an NFC North division title and the NFC championship game at Lambeau Field.

Everything seemed aligned for the Packers and Favre to return to the Super Bowl for the first time since 1998, but Favre threw a costly overtime interception against the Giants. New York won 23-20 and went on to beat New England in the Super Bowl.

Murphy, who played eight years in the NFL with the Redskins from 1977-84, said that Favre continues his annual rite of winter in Wisconsin because it’s hard to prepare for the rigors of another season.

“When we watch the games on Sunday, you see the joy and how much fun he has with the game and obviously he’s still playing at a high level,” Murphy said. “What you don’t see is all the work that he has to do all through the offseason. The training and the grind of it.”

Murphy, the former Northwestern athletic director who formally replaced Bob Harlan as the Packers’ top executive on Jan. 28, said he anticipates a decision in the coming days.

“I think he still enjoys it, particularly the games, and he has a passion for it, but it’s not as easy of a decision as some people might think,” Murphy said.

Most of Murphy’s major franchise decisions were made before he formally took over, with Harlan locking up general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy to five-year deals in the wake of the successful season.

“Bob was really smart, and I supported it, locking both of them up with long-term contracts right as we made the transition,” Murphy said. “I really feel good about the future of the Packers. I think that has really given me the luxury of time. I don’t feel the organization is broken in any way.”

Instead, Murphy said the early part of his tenure as team president will center on league issues, including the collective bargaining agreement and revenue sharing.

“There’s a level, a sense that the agreement is costing the clubs a lot more than they would like, more than the previous agreements have cost them, but I think it’s all part of negotiation,” he said.

Murphy has a unique prospective with any labor disputes on the horizon.

He was the assistant executive director of the NFL Players Association for four years after his playing career ended, including during the 1987 strike.

“If you look back over the history, one of the biggest changes in the relationship between the owners and the Players Association was the ’87 strike,” said Murphy, who credits former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue and union boss Gene Upshaw for mending fences to establish a good working relationship that resonates today.

Of course, big labor issues mean much less than championships in Titletown, the league’s smallest outpost.

And Murphy, a former defensive back, said the Packers have their best shot to win again with Favre, who threw for 4,155 yards last season with 28 touchdowns and 15 interceptions to earn his ninth Pro Bowl nod.

“If Brett Favre comes back, as I said before, I do think it gives us our best chance to win a Super Bowl next year, just with his experience, his knowledge of the game and his leadership ability,” Murphy said. “Nothing that a defense does to him fazes him or surprises him. He really can take advantage of defenses when they leave themselves vulnerable.”

Tyrone Bigguns
02-28-2008, 02:05 PM

The Packers.com staff looks pretty dumb either way. Either they are too dumb to allow someone to plant this fake page, or they are too dumb to handle a development project properly.

True dat.

I've never EVER heard of placing a developmental page on a live server (well, i've seen it done..but, you would really hide it...i remember taking over a job and finding that the previous guy had his fantasy stuff hidden on the server for his buddies..LOL). Geez, i'm sure they got a spare dell lying around that they can call the developmental server.

Something smells.

Merlin
02-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Wow I agree with Ty?

Something doesn't smell right. You don't make that kind of mistake unless you are a whopping moron in IT. Especially over something as big as Favre's retirement.

BallHawk
02-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Man, I had a heart attack when I saw this thread.

Now, assuming that this is nothing more than a goof on the Packers' part, this situation is pretty hilarious.

packinpatland
02-28-2008, 03:19 PM
I've already gotten several phone calls from the lovely Patriot fans that I must live amongst. Generally, the gist is.... the Packers look foolish for allowing such a thing to happen.

Come on Brett........let us have a nice weekend.....announce.

Merlin
02-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Lovely Patriot fans saying this should never have happened? You mean like a coach who thinks it's "okay" to steal signals by video taping them from the sidelines? The least he could do is have a fan do it or the coaching staff in the booth like every other team. How stupid can you get?

Anyway, if it was a mistake that person should leave IT immediately. There are enough morons in the field and it's time to weed them out!

twoseven
02-28-2008, 04:34 PM
I've already gotten several phone calls from the lovely Patriot fans that I must live amongst. Generally, the gist is.... the Packers look foolish for allowing such a thing to happen.

Come on Brett........let us have a nice weekend.....announce.
New England Patriot fans telling GBP fans our team looks foolish..

Pot meet Kettle

Jimx29
02-28-2008, 04:40 PM
I think we, as Packer fans need to start up an online petition asking....errrmmm, DEMAND that Roger Goodell, Bill Belacheat, and Tom Brady to investigate the final 1:40 before that page went live :?

Freak Out
02-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Has Red confirmed anything yet?

MJZiggy
02-28-2008, 08:04 PM

True dat.

I've never EVER heard of placing a developmental page on a live server (well, i've seen it done..but, you would really hide it...i remember taking over a job and finding that the previous guy had his fantasy stuff hidden on the server for his buddies..LOL). Geez, i'm sure they got a spare dell lying around that they can call the developmental server.

Something smells.

Maybe no one in IT would do it, but someone in page design might. How easy would it be to have it on the server and when the story came in, dump it in and turn it on. Maybe they are using software that automatically publishes instead of the user having to turn it on manually? And they did do a page quite similar to this one last year if you recall and occasionally do it when they have a feature they expect to generate a lot of traffic or something they are really looking to publicize--contests and events announcements. I'm willing to believe that the person who does design for them had the page around and moved both pages onto the server to turn on whichever one they needed when an announcement was made because we know one IS coming. Sooner or later.

packinpatland
02-28-2008, 08:39 PM

True dat.

Something smells.

Maybe no one in IT would do it, but someone in page design might. How easy would it be to have it on the server and when the story came in, dump it in and turn it on. Maybe they are using software that automatically publishes instead of the user having to turn it on manually? And they did do a page quite similar to this one last year if you recall and occasionally do it when they have a feature they expect to generate a lot of traffic or something they are really looking to publicize--contests and events announcements. I'm willing to believe that the person who does design for them had the page around and moved both pages onto the server to turn on whichever one they needed when an announcement was made because we know one IS coming. Sooner or later.

MJ, you would know all the technical aspects of this thing, better than most of us........maybe now would be a good time to apply for a job there........there may be a vacancy!

Rastak
02-28-2008, 08:58 PM

True dat.

Something smells.

Perhaps Zig. If they have a content management system it's possible for someone to promote some content onto the live server. I'd say it was a mistake. People are human. Either there is something in the works or they staged a couple of possibilities with just a framework and one got sent to the webserver under the live breaking news link. All these consipiricy theories just crack me up. What a crock of shit.

Now does someone know something and that's why the content was promoted? Again, who knows. Favre said he'd make up his mind soon when the season ended. McCarthy says a couple weeks ago, soon. Well? Make a decision already!

MadtownPacker
02-28-2008, 09:20 PM
All these consipiricy theories just crack me up. What a crock of shit.

Now does someone know something and that's why the content was promoted? Again, who knows. Favre said he'd make up his mind soon when the season ended. McCarthy says a couple weeks ago, soon. Well? Make a decision already!Talkin all that shit and then you stoop to the same level. :lol:

Admit, you got a hard on when you saw this thread and now youre pissed it's not true.

Rastak
02-28-2008, 09:25 PM

Now does someone know something and that's why the content was promoted? Again, who knows. Favre said he'd make up his mind soon when the season ended. McCarthy says a couple weeks ago, soon. Well? Make a decision already!Talkin all that shit and then you stoop to the same level. :lol:

Admit, you got a hard on when you saw this thread and now youre pissed it's not true.

LOL.....Mad, either it got promoted accidently or it prematurely. All this silly assed hacker bullshit is what I'm ridiculing. No I didn't get a hard on but I did sort of smile.

MJZiggy
02-28-2008, 09:35 PM

LOL.....Mad, either it got promoted accidently or it prematurely. All this silly assed hacker bullshit is what I'm ridiculing. No I didn't get a hard on but I did sort of smile.I think what the dude from packers.com said is actually right. They've done stuff like this before and they would have gathered stuff ahead of time and prepared for either scenario. To not do so would be shoddy journalism. When you know the story's coming, you prepare for it and since this story involves a decision, you prepare for whichever way the decision might go. Otherwise you're scrambling for information and your competition just scooped you. Remember the last couple years, Favre did NOT tell packers.com first. He told the guy from his local rag that he'd made a choice first.

MadtownPacker
02-28-2008, 09:42 PM
LOL.....Mad, either it got promoted accidently or it prematurely. All this silly assed hacker bullshit is what I'm ridiculing. No I didn't get a hard on but I did sort of smile.I agree, this was just something on standby so when the call is made.

Yeah, I knew it made you happy. Did fireworks and the horn start going off in the Dome?

Rastak
02-28-2008, 09:44 PM
LOL.....Mad, either it got promoted accidently or it prematurely. All this silly assed hacker bullshit is what I'm ridiculing. No I didn't get a hard on but I did sort of smile.I agree, this was just something on standby so when the call is made.

Yeah, I knew it made you happy. Did fireworks and the horn start going off in the Dome?

No, but maybe soon......eh?

:wink:

packers11
02-28-2008, 09:45 PM
T.T. should be fired... IT IS ALL HIS FAULT!!! HE IS THE ONE WHO PUT THAT THING ON THE WEBSITE TO GIVE EVERYONE A HEART ATTACK!!! FIRE T.T. he is ruining the team and running Favre out of town!!!

Ok... sorry , Ive been missing those type of posts lately :lol:

GrnBay007
02-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Cook told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Favre, in his annual rite of winter, had not made up his mind whether to return for his 18th season. The three-time MVP's decision one way or the other is not expected this week.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7848494/Packers'-site-mistakenly-says-Favre-retires

GBRulz
02-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Axe this damn thread! Or risk being sued for giving someone a heart attack ! :shock:

Tyrone Bigguns
02-28-2008, 10:39 PM

True dat.

Something smells.

Page design? You mean the graphic artist? I've been around enough companies that you never do that. You design on the test server then move it.

And, if the person was designing the page..why does it have specific dates on it? That would indicate that the story was going live.

No way does a company that has a director of IT let this happen the way you suggest. The website falls under PR, but i guarantee that the IT department doesn't let a bunch of PR "losers" fool around on the servers. That is why their is an internet coordinator...some person that has to do the website and work with IT.

This isn't rocket science. There would be no need to push a page on the live server..what?..you save 15 seconds? Makes no sense.

And, if we know it is sooner or later...don't you think this page was in development last year?

The whole thing stinks.

GrnBay007
02-28-2008, 10:43 PM
The whole thing stinks.

.....and someone should be FIRED!! :twisted:

Joemailman
02-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Axe this damn thread! Or risk being sued for giving someone a heart attack ! :shock:

Where you been? We've all been worried the attack may have already happened.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-29-2008, 01:08 AM
The whole thing stinks.

.....and someone should be FIRED!! :twisted:

JS says in Silverstein's article that it was a 3rd party that does the work.

That is even more atrocious. You have a consultant doing the work and you give them access to the server.

GBRulz
02-29-2008, 08:47 AM

Where you been? We've all been worried the attack may have already happened.

In the middle of MN, actually ! For entertainment, I go ice shack hopping.

Joemailman
02-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Shacking Up! I knew it!

Patler
02-29-2008, 09:37 AM

True dat.

Something smells.

Page design? You mean the graphic artist? I've been around enough companies that you never do that. You design on the test server then move it.

And, if the person was designing the page..why does it have specific dates on it? That would indicate that the story was going live.

No way does a company that has a director of IT let this happen the way you suggest. The website falls under PR, but i guarantee that the IT department doesn't let a bunch of PR "losers" fool around on the servers. That is why their is an internet coordinator...some person that has to do the website and work with IT.

This isn't rocket science. There would be no need to push a page on the live server..what?..you save 15 seconds? Makes no sense.

And, if we know it is sooner or later...don't you think this page was in development last year?

The whole thing stinks.

It was just a couple years ago that one of the major news services accidentally released a report that some famous person died (I don't remember who). They said the same thing. The were just updating canned stories they keep to get out quickly if and when it happened. They said they had hundreds of them, and one was revised and accidentally posted to the wrong location.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-29-2008, 10:17 AM

True dat.

Something smells.

The whole thing stinks.

It was just a couple years ago that one of the major news services accidentally released a report that some famous person died (I don't remember who). They said the same thing. The were just updating canned stories they keep to get out quickly if and when it happened. They said they had hundreds of them, and one was revised and accidentally posted to the wrong location.

I have more understanding for a major service. The bigger the org, the more effed up it is.

The packers are a small org. Plus, as the js reported..it was a third party that does the work.

MadtownPacker
02-29-2008, 12:46 PM
I have more understanding for a major service. The bigger the org, the more effed up it is.

The packers are a small org. Plus, as the js reported..it was a third party that does the work.My attorney needs to speak to yours. Looks like Im suing you due to the carpal I have developed from all the DAMN SCROLLING!! Learn to quote lame ass!!

MJZiggy
02-29-2008, 08:30 PM
And, if the person was designing the page..why does it have specific dates

[stuff deleted for brevity]

The whole thing stinks.

It has specific dates because it's coded to the news list on the regular homepage. I may not know how to do it, but it's pretty obvious that's how it was done.

Yes, I do know this page was in development last year because that's what it said in the article. You drop the story in and go. This isn't rocket science and it isn't a conspiracy. There was no hack or everything else would have been screwed up as well--and you can assign an individual or an account limited access to your server that allows them to do certain tasks but not others. Third parties aren't going to hack beyond what they're allowed to do as that will get them fired and kill their corporate reputation.

That's how every shared server works. My site is on a shared server, and there are tons of people posting to sites on it, but that doesn't mean we can access each others' sites.

And can we make that a class action suit, Mad?

Guiness
03-01-2008, 04:17 AM

The whole thing stinks.

Cool! Rile him up and he speaks in complete sentences, with proper gramar!

Something stinks - and it's the TB just fell out of character :lol:

cpk1994
03-01-2008, 08:45 AM

True dat.

Something smells.

The whole thing stinks.

It was just a couple years ago that one of the major news services accidentally released a report that some famous person died (I don't remember who). They said the same thing. The were just updating canned stories they keep to get out quickly if and when it happened. They said they had hundreds of them, and one was revised and accidentally posted to the wrong location.The man in question was Bob Hope. The news org I believe was NBC.

KYPack
03-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Shorten the quotes, then post, mates.

LL2
03-01-2008, 09:58 AM
On Fox Sports they are reporting that Favre will announce his decision next week.....stay tuned.