PDA

View Full Version : Pro Football Weekly 2006 Preview

GBRulz
05-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Was reading Favre's official site and thought this post was interesting. One of their posters was basically bitching about the 7 bucks he wasted on this magazine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Purchasing the Pro Football Weekly's 2006 Preview Magazine...

Usually I'm excited about the insight magazines have to offer before the season starts but this one really blows.

These experts know nothing. Like I haven't watched the Packers play religiously last season through the thick and thin...anyway, the magazine rates players at each position on a scale of 5.

4-5 means Blue chip, excellent Pro Bowl player
3-4 means Red chip, solid starter with at least one weakness
2-3 means basically a barely adequete starter.

Here's some of their analysis on our guys

QB Brett Favre: Ranked #4 out of all QBs, 3.95/5, basically says that he is declining over the last 20 or so games but still has the tools and is one of the best to ever play the game. I can live with that

RB Ahman Green: Ranked #8 of all RBs, 3.85/5. They say he's lost a step but is still a big play threat basically, which is fine with me, especially after that severe injury.

TE Bubba Franks: Ranked #9 out of all TEs, 3.25/5. They say he's a good blocker and a reliable but unspectacular pass catcher, which are both true. They've got Jason Witten and Chris Cooley rated above him, which is some --- because Bubba's been to 3 Pro Bowls and hes a great red zone threat while the other two are some no-namers, but also Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez and Alge Crumpler are rated higher than Bubba, which I wont argue with.

WR Donald Driver: ranked #27th out of ALL WRs...given a 2.6/5. They didn't even consider him good enough to give him an analysis. I guess 3 1000 yard seasons in the last 4 years and 2 consecutive 1200+ yd seasons don't mean a thing. I guess the fact that he had 86 catches and 1200+ yards in 2005 despite being constantly double teamed doesnt mean anything. This one really pissed me off bad. They rated a bunch of receivers with less production and skill above Driver, like they know what they're talking about !!

OG: They had great things to say about Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera...who rated 3.8 and 3.3 respectively...figures...

They also said good things about Chad Clifton...and not so good things about Mark Tausher, who I still think is one of the betetr tackles in the game.

They rated KGB a 2.75 and Kampman a 2.6...I guess 5 years in a row of leading the team in sacks, 4 of them double digit years doesn't count. Yes KGB isn't strong against the run but he is still a premier pass rusher, and they don't figure that in.

And basically they chew Kampman for having no talent (exactly half as much as KGB they say) but having heart and brains. OK, I'm sure a Defensive End with no talent racks up 105 tackles and 6 sacks. Retards. I don't even want to list some of the names they put higher than Kamps and KGB because its a disgrace.

Defensive Tackles: They didnt even put down Ryan Pickett's name. I guess leading all NFL DTs in tackles in 2005 doesnt mean a thing.

Inside Linebackers: They have Barnett at #20, a 3.0/5....I don't even want to say anything about this it drives me nuts. They say he's a tackling machine but he makes a lot of mistakes. Ok, he's had a few gaffes but he has led the team in tackles for how many years now? And the cornerstone of the league's 7th ranked defense. He deserves more than that.

Outside Linebackers: They put Julian Peterson above Derrick Brooks...shows how smart these "experts" are.

Cornerbacks: They said Al Harris was a shutdown corner with more quickness than speed, and that he isn't that fast in the long stretch, things that I have observed to be true over the years. Says he's excellent in bump and run too, which is true

but they have Charles Woodson at #21, a 3.0/5...I guess 4 Pro Bowls don't matter at all.

Safeties: They got Darren Sharper at #6 and says he makes tons of plays. I wish we still had him...

I don't even wanna go on about how they think the Lions will finish 7-9 and the Pack will finish 4-12...

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2006, 11:21 PM
QB Brett Favre: Ranked #4 out of all QBs, 3.95/5, basically says that he is declining over the last 20 or so games but still has the tools and is one of the best to ever play the game. I can live with that

Honestly, I don't think he's top 5 anymore, but he's still top 10.

RB Ahman Green: Ranked #8 of all RBs, 3.85/5. They say he's lost a step but is still a big play threat basically, which is fine with me, especially after that severe injury.

That seems high for him.

TE Bubba Franks: Ranked #9 out of all TEs, 3.25/5. They say he's a good blocker and a reliable but unspectacular pass catcher, which are both true. They've got Jason Witten and Chris Cooley rated above him, which is some --- because Bubba's been to 3 Pro Bowls and hes a great red zone threat while the other two are some no-namers, but also Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez and Alge Crumpler are rated higher than Bubba, which I wont argue with.

Witten is definitely better, and I'd take Cooley over Bubba also, but he's at the edge of the top 10.

WR Donald Driver: ranked #27th out of ALL WRs...given a 2.6/5. They didn't even consider him good enough to give him an analysis. I guess 3 1000 yard seasons in the last 4 years and 2 consecutive 1200+ yd seasons don't mean a thing. I guess the fact that he had 86 catches and 1200+ yards in 2005 despite being constantly double teamed doesnt mean anything. This one really pissed me off bad. They rated a bunch of receivers with less production and skill above Driver, like they know what they're talking about !!

This is a crime.

OG: They had great things to say about Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera...who rated 3.8 and 3.3 respectively...figures...

Wahle is a top 3 OG. Rivera has lost a little bit, and I don't think he ranks top 10 anymore.

They also said good things about Chad Clifton...and not so good things about Mark Tausher, who I still think is one of the betetr tackles in the game.

Tausch is one of the best RTs in the game.

They rated KGB a 2.75 and Kampman a 2.6...I guess 5 years in a row of leading the team in sacks, 4 of them double digit years doesn't count. Yes KGB isn't strong against the run but he is still a premier pass rusher, and they don't figure that in.

And basically they chew Kampman for having no talent (exactly half as much as KGB they say) but having heart and brains. OK, I'm sure a Defensive End with no talent racks up 105 tackles and 6 sacks. Retards. I don't even want to list some of the names they put higher than Kamps and KGB because its a disgrace.

I don't have a problem with that rating for KGB after last season, but Kampman should be rated higher (higher than KGB).

Defensive Tackles: They didnt even put down Ryan Pickett's name. I guess leading all NFL DTs in tackles in 2005 doesnt mean a thing.

He's among the top 20 DTs in the NFL.

Inside Linebackers: They have Barnett at #20, a 3.0/5....I don't even want to say anything about this it drives me nuts. They say he's a tackling machine but he makes a lot of mistakes. Ok, he's had a few gaffes but he has led the team in tackles for how many years now? And the cornerstone of the league's 7th ranked defense. He deserves more than that.

Probably should be higher. I'd be interested in knowing who ranked higher. There are a lot of 3-4 teams now, so there's more than just 32 ILBs.

but they have Charles Woodson at #21, a 3.0/5...I guess 4 Pro Bowls don't matter at all.

I don't have a problem with that. He has a lot to prove. He has the potential to be top 10 corner.

Joemailman
05-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Michele,

Keep in mind that the publisher of the magazine, Hub Arkush, covers the Bears on radio in Chicago. If you've ever listened to Chicago sports radio, you know how objective they can be. It bugs me that Wayne Larrivee still does part of his pre-game show before Packer games with Arkush. He can't seem to sever his Chicago ties.

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2006, 11:35 PM
I think PFW, as a whole, is a pretty good magazine.

prsnfoto
05-26-2006, 09:41 AM
[They rated KGB a 2.75 and Kampman a 2.6...I guess 5 years in a row of leading the team in sacks, 4 of them double digit years doesn't count. Yes KGB isn't strong against the run but he is still a premier pass rusher, and they don't figure that in.

I found a site a while back that ranked defensive player stats like fantasy numbers and Kampman ranked #9 last year, KGB is horrible can't stop the run and gets all his sacks in 3-4 games like his 5 sack performance against the bears a few years back. Sherman has made him a salary cap anchor at his 7 million this year face it he sucks. Favre is too high also he is top ten but not #4.

pbmax
05-26-2006, 01:57 PM

I found a site a while back that ranked defensive player stats like fantasy numbers and Kampman ranked #9 last year.
Total number of tackles are a very rough gauge of a players ability. Barnett and Kampman faced an inordinate amount of run plays (6th most) last year compared to a very small number of pass plays (2nd fewest). That plays into a DE making a larger number of tackles, and Barnett, as the MLB in the over defense Bates taught, traditionally gets runners funneled to him in the middle.

Their tackle totals probably do confirm their ability to execute a play and make a tackle. But even below average run stopper KGB made a high number of tackles this past year. I think concentrating on their tackle number inflates both players abilities.

Harlan Huckleby
05-26-2006, 04:12 PM
When Hardy Nickerson came to the Packers coming off a season with a high number of total tackles, then played like he was wearing hip waders, I vowed to forever ignore this stat for linebackers.