PDA

View Full Version : Mike Reinfeldt on UFA

RashanGary
02-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Titans GM Mike Reinfeldt made some excellent points on this issue during the combine.

"You're seeing fewer and fewer Pro Bowl-caliber players in the prime of their careers really reach free agency," he said. "So that behooves you even more to build through the draft.
"There are no more quick fixes. In the first 10 years of free agency, if you had cap room, you could go in and get better pretty quickly. But no more."

RashanGary
02-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Back to Leapers point that Thompson's strength is the draft and weakness is free agency.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Thompson doesn't do as well in UFA because there isn't much in UFA. It has nothign to do wiht him not being able to evaluate NFL talent. He's good at evaluating all talent but it shows up most in the draft because that is where the most opportuntiy is present.

The Leaper
02-29-2008, 10:51 AM
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Thompson doesn't do as well in UFA because there isn't much in UFA.

It is certainly still possible to fill holes through free agency...it just isn't possible to land dynamic, franchise-caliber players. I think that was Reinfeldt's point.

If I remember correctly, it was the New England Patriots who were incredibly active in free agency last year...adding guys like Welker, Stallworth and Thomas...and went 18-1 because of it.

So, the argument that there isn't much in UFA seems a bit of a stretch.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-29-2008, 10:55 AM
I think they traded for Welker and Stallworth was a bad pick up IMO.

Zool
02-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Moss was not a FA, and Stallworth was adequate.

Welker and A. Thomas were their good UFA signings.

The Leaper
02-29-2008, 10:58 AM
I think they traded for Welker and Stallworth was a bad pick up IMO.

You are right...Welker was a trade. I was thinking he was a UFA, but he was a RFA. I think the Pats were considering signing him to a deal that the Dolphins couldn't match...but then just decided to trade for him and not have to put together some crazy cap deal.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-29-2008, 10:58 AM
You can find good ones, whcih is why I was mad last off season that we didn't go after some low level ones. For example, Hamlin is a guy I wanted to go after.

But that being said, that draft is the best way to get better.

HarveyWallbangers
02-29-2008, 11:16 AM
I can find good ones, whcih is why I was mad last off season that we didn't go after some low level ones. For example, Hamlin is a guy I wanted to go after.

But that being said, that draft is the best way to get better.

For every guy you (not just you specifically, but anybody doing this) can name players that turn out good, I'm guessing you can name a handful of players that didn't do much for their new team. It's easy to list 20 FAs we should go after, and then say I wanted a certain guy. However, it's harder to actually sign the right ones. That's why it's kind of Fool's Gold. Who were the other FAs you wanted Thompson to sign? I don't think the cap will keep rising every year, so big contracts will eventually come back to haunt some teams--especially a team like ours that has been built by the last couple of drafts (and rookie FAs). Their contracts are going to have to be redone in the next year or two. I'm not against signing a FA or two, but I think it's best to do like Thompson has done. Be wary. Go after some FAs. You hit on some (Woodson, Pickett). You miss on others (Frank Walker, Klemm). Like you said, you have to build through the draft and supplement with occasional FAs. I think there's something to be said for chemistry in an NFL locker room, and I think paying and keeping your own helps in building that chemistry (Corey Williams notwithstanding, that deal was too good to pass up).

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-29-2008, 12:37 PM
I agree with your post, but I believe that you can sign free agents every year, not mortgage your cap, and still build through the draft. The key is to stay away from the really pricey ones. Like I said before, if you can sign a player like Hamlin for cheap why not? If he sucks, you lose nothing, if he's good, then great. So this year I again would like TT to continue to build through the draft, extend our own players, and if there is a potential upgrade for a decent price then go after him. And there are usually one or two guys like that every year.

The Leaper
02-29-2008, 12:54 PM
The key is to stay away from the really pricey ones.

I think that about sums it up. I think UFA is an absolute must in terms of rounding out your roster, but you can't view UFA as a place to land the one guy who can solve a myriad of problems.

That especially holds true for a team in Green Bay's position right now...where they are one of the top 4 teams in their conference and are viewed favorably by players as being a contender. It is harder to attract FAs when you stink.

Chester Marcol
02-29-2008, 01:21 PM
I don't think the cap will keep rising every year, so big contracts will eventually come back to haunt some teams--especially a team like ours that has been built by the last couple of drafts (and rookie FAs). Their contracts are going to have to be redone in the next year or two.

I've felt that since TT arrived the contracts seemed to be structured better, like more salary in the first year or two, etc. Would be nice to see a projected salary cap for the next year or two to get a better feel. Obviously you only can count the salaries under contract, but would give us something to speculate with.

b bulldog
02-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Adalius Thomas was another big aquisition by the Pats last year.