PDA

View Full Version : Vikes sign 2

mngolf19
02-29-2008, 12:34 PM
According to Vikings Website they have signed FB Thomas Tapeh. And according the Star Tribune they have agreed to terms with S Madieu Williams who is on his way to town to sign the contract. Also, WR Bernard Berrian is in Mpls today.

HarveyWallbangers
02-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Williams isn't a bad safety. To me, he's sort of on par with Dwight Smith, but he's younger and doesn't do foolish things off the field. Tapeh is a backup FB type. He's a former Gopher. Kind of a nothing signing, but I guess they needed to replace Tony Richardson.

Deputy Nutz
02-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like Minnesota signs a safety every off season?

mngolf19
02-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like Minnesota signs a safety every off season?

They definitely have the last few. Can't seem to find the right combination of good player and good person.

HarveyWallbangers
02-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Williams is better in coverage than some of the guys they've had, and that's a big weakness for them. I didn't think Smith was a bad safety. I thought both he and Sharper were decent, but not great. Williams is probably better than either one of them at this point.

MadtownPacker
02-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Im surprised Berrian wants to go to MN. I thought he would try to make his way out West.

Joemailman
02-29-2008, 01:01 PM
I would think Berrian would finally want to go to a team with an NFL quarterback.

HarveyWallbangers
02-29-2008, 01:02 PM
From ESPN Insider. Done before last season (they don't update their scouting reports until later in the offseason):

#40 Madieu Williams | S

2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 65

Comment: Williams is coming off his third year in the league and he returned to his rookie season form having a very productive season. He has good size, athleticism, instincts and toughness for the safety position. He is best attacking the line of scrimmage in run support. He aligns as both a free and strong safety along with dropping down in the box in the Bengals? eight man fronts. Williams reads well and has a nose for the ball and gets to the pile often. He is a solid wrap tackler that will insert often into the action. He has solid foot quickness and agility, but is best as a half field coverage defender. He doesn?t have great burst to play tight man coverage but can play intermediate and deep zone schemes well. He leverages the ball well as an alley player and keeps his depth effectively off the hash. His injury in 2005 hindered his development some but he should continue to be a very effective NFL safety in the coming years.

Rastak
02-29-2008, 01:22 PM
I still have insider

From this years:

Grade 72
Expert's Take Williams didn't have his best season in 2007, but he spent much of it trying to mask the deficiencies of Cincinnati's young cornerbacks. He has experience at cornerback and can cover slot receivers, but free safety is his best position. He is fluid, fast and changes directions well. He has good size and a fine build for a free safety. He has very good range and is more than capable of handling the deep half in Cover 2 or playing back in one-deep coverages. He's a decent blitzer out of the slot. He also can play in the box, on a limited basis, as an extra run defender. He is smart, puts himself (and his teammates) in good positions and reacts well. He works very hard on and off the field. But his competitiveness and aggressive playing style have led to some injuries. And though he shows very good burst to the ball, he doesn't consistently wrap up. He misses too many tackles as the last line of defense. He isn't afraid of contact, but he isn't a great run defender. He is around the ball a lot, but he lacks great ball skills and has to finish better. But after finishing last season on injured reserve (quadriceps), Williams' durability may be the biggest concern of potential suitors.

Cheesehead Craig
02-29-2008, 01:27 PM
What's funny is that Richardson was supposed to be such a major signing and he really wasn't all that.

Williams is decent but nothing special. Frankly our safties are better.

If the Vikes don't sign BB then there's nothing left in FA for them at WR really so expect them to offer him huge bucks.

Rastak
02-29-2008, 01:30 PM
What's funny is that Richardson was supposed to be such a major signing and he really wasn't all that.

If the Vikes don't sign BB then there's nothing left in FA for them at WR really so expect them to offer him huge bucks.

Who told you it was a major signing? The dude was in his late 30s. He played just fine last year, I have no problem with Richardson. Good guy in the locker room too.

As for safeties, Williams is pretty solid. He's a good coverage guy which is what they need.

Patler
02-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Packer fans shouldn't look down on a team with a revolving door at one safety position the last few years! :lol:

Zool
02-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Wonder if McCree and Florence from SD will get big deals somewhere. Florence would be a nice pickup as a nickle DB. He's started previously, so maybe he'll want to start again.

Zool
02-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Another big hitter is always welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfkByXGfNRg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTk0_N-RH0E

mngolf19
02-29-2008, 02:07 PM

Who told you it was a major signing? The dude was in his late 30s. He played just fine last year, I have no problem with Richardson. Good guy in the locker room too.

As for safeties, Williams is pretty solid. He's a good coverage guy which is what they need.

He went to the Pro Bowl at age 37. Can't expect more out of a guy than that.

Lurker64
02-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Isn't Williams kind of a carbon copy of Sharper? A decent ballhawking safety that's pretty good in coverage, but doesn't really like to hit and suffers in run support?

With the Williams twins in the middle, run support isn't the biggest concern for the Vikings, but teams did show that they can beat the Vikings defense on the ground by attacking the edge and running misdirection stuff.

It seems to me that Williams is a better replacement for Sharper than a complement to him.

HarveyWallbangers
02-29-2008, 02:28 PM
I still have insider

From this years:

Grade 72
Expert's Take Williams didn't have his best season in 2007, but he spent much of it trying to mask the deficiencies of Cincinnati's young cornerbacks. He has experience at cornerback and can cover slot receivers, but free safety is his best position. He is fluid, fast and changes directions well. He has good size and a fine build for a free safety. He has very good range and is more than capable of handling the deep half in Cover 2 or playing back in one-deep coverages. He's a decent blitzer out of the slot. He also can play in the box, on a limited basis, as an extra run defender. He is smart, puts himself (and his teammates) in good positions and reacts well. He works very hard on and off the field. But his competitiveness and aggressive playing style have led to some injuries. And though he shows very good burst to the ball, he doesn't consistently wrap up. He misses too many tackles as the last line of defense. He isn't afraid of contact, but he isn't a great run defender. He is around the ball a lot, but he lacks great ball skills and has to finish better. But after finishing last season on injured reserve (quadriceps), Williams' durability may be the biggest concern of potential suitors.

Is that the blurb that is accompanying just the FAs? For some reason they aren't working for me here.

There are these, where there is a "Scouting" link (that is an Insider article):
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5581

Then, there are these, where there are "Insiders Only" link.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?univLogin02=stateChanged

I can't get to those right now--even though I'm signed in and can get to to the others.

At home, I can get to them, but not here. I noticed those are different than the others. That's why I prefaced them by saying that these were from before this season.

Cheesehead Craig
02-29-2008, 03:24 PM

Ummm every local sportscaster in the Twin Cities was about creaming their pants when he was signed.

Rastak
02-29-2008, 04:38 PM

Ummm every local sportscaster in the Twin Cities was about creaming their pants when he was signed.

RIIIIIIIIGHT......a fullback that's over 35. Sure they were. Dude, he wasn't even their first choice. William Henderson was. You can't really believe a fullback is some major signing, and the cynical Twin Cities sports writers wouldn't "cream themselves" if they signed Peyton Manning. You're in the Twin Cities aren't you? Do you read the Viking coverage here?

The articles I read at the time indicated Richardson was a great guy and a great lockerroom presence with a year or two left in him.

Cheesehead Craig
02-29-2008, 04:47 PM

RIIIIIIIIGHT......a fullback that's over 35. Sure they were. Dude, he wasn't even their first choice. William Henderson was. You can't really believe a fullback is some major signing, and the cynical Twin Cities sports writers wouldn't "cream themselves" if they signed Peyton Manning. You're in the Twin Cities aren't you? Do you read the Viking coverage here?

The articles I read at the time indicated Richardson was a great guy and a great lockerroom presence with a year or two left in him.
I just remember Rosen and Simon just gushing over the signing. They were positively giddy.

Rastak
02-29-2008, 05:42 PM

I just remember Rosen and Simon just gushing over the signing. They were positively giddy.

Simon, okay that's explains it. He's an idiot. Rosen on TV would probably do the same cause that's his schtik. Now I got ya.

Anyway, I am sad to see him go......back to your regularly scheduled thread.

red
02-29-2008, 05:47 PM
berrian didn't sign in minnie, he's on his way to oakland

according to rotoworld

superfan
02-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Viking fans should be happy to get Madieu Williams, he is a pretty good safety. I wonder if this was in the works, and contributed to the Dwight Smith release? Along with Smith's off the field issues.

The Vikings have had a solid secondary on paper the last couple seasons, but it hasn't translated on field, in terms of statistical performance. Will be interesting to see if their pass defense improves with the addition of Williams. They really need a pass rush.

Cheesehead Craig
02-29-2008, 09:05 PM

Simon, okay that's explains it. He's an idiot. Rosen on TV would probably do the same cause that's his schtik. Now I got ya.

Anyway, I am sad to see him go......back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Maybe I read too much into it. I'm sure my Packer bias doesn't enter into the picture at all. :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
02-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Thomas Tapeh | FB

Grade 53

Most of the action Tapeh saw this season was on special teams. He can be considered a core special team's player since he has value in both coverage and return phases. His role is primarily a blocking fullback on the offensive side especially in goal line and short-yardage situations. He has good pad level when he takes on a defender and knows angles and how to block, but doesn't do it with enough explosion. Tapeh is a good pass protector out of the backfield and he recognizes blitzes very well. He will lunge toward a defender at times, which will get him in trouble and jeopardize the outcome of the play. Tapeh is a solid fullback and can fit on most NFL teams, if they have the need for a second fullback.

Fritz
03-01-2008, 11:05 AM
I have a friend who says he can see the Queens signing Javon Walker. Either Minnie or Seattle.