PDA

View Full Version : Competition for Poppinga?

GoPackGo
02-29-2008, 03:56 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/02/29/packers-express-interest-in-lb-chillar.aspx

Packers express interest in LB Chillar
By Tom Silverstein
Friday, Feb 29 2008, 03:03 PM
As expected, the Packers are looking at potential free agent linebackers who can come in and compete with Brady Poppinga for the strong side position.

One of those free agents is St. Louis' Brandon Chillar, one of the better prospects available. According to a source close to Chillar, the Packers inquired about him and are interested in bringing him in for a visit next week.

However, they have competition. Chillar is scheduled to visit an unidentified team on Monday and it's possible he could be scooped up early.

The 6-3, 242-pound Chillar was a fourth-round draft choice of the Rams' out of UCLA in 2004. He has been used both inside and outside and played as the nickel backer early in his career. He has been more of a two-down player of late whose strength is playing the run.

Chillar has good enough athletic ability to fit the Packers' although he's far from a speed burner. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.71 seconds at the 2004 combine, which is decent for his size.

The Rams don't appear very interested in re-signing Chillar, in part because they have a lot of money sunk into their other two linebackers Will Witherspoon and Pisa Tinoisamoa. Still, there's a good chance the price for Chillar won't be cheap.

Last year, Chillar started 14 of the 15 games in which he played and had 85 tackles, two sacks, four passes defended and three forced fumbles.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Chillar. Perfect name for Green bay.

GoPackGo
02-29-2008, 04:09 PM
I agree. i've never heard of the guy, but he's young and the stats quoted in the article aren't to bad.

Joemailman
02-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Chillar's strength is playing the run, and his weakness is man coverage. If the Packers were looking to replace Popp, I think they would be looking to find someone who is better in coverage than him. If Chillar is signed, I think it would be primarily to add depth, which certainly is needed, especially if Hodge can't make it back.

KYPack
02-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Chillar's strength is playing the run, and his weakness is man coverage. If the Packers were looking to replace Popp, I think they would be looking to find someone who is better in coverage than him. If Chillar is signed, I think it would be primarily to add depth, which certainly is needed, especially if Hodge can't make it back.

I have the same suspucion. I'm pretty sure Hodge is done. He's mainly a MLB. He was never fast & this injury may have put him out of the league.

Patler
02-29-2008, 04:51 PM

His weakness could be pass coverage, and he still might be better than Poppinga at it. He might be what they are looking for; a moderate step up, no worse against the run than Poppinga, but somewhat better in pass coverage.

HarveyWallbangers
02-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Hey, he's on my list of intriguing FAs.
:D

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=11440&start=0

With Thompson, I never got convinced that a player is going to get signed.

RashanGary
02-29-2008, 05:09 PM
He does look like an upgrade to Poppinga. Poppinga is tough against the run, but so bad against the pass that it's hard to run him out there and feel confident on most plays.

I like the idea of Chilar starting and Poppinga sliding into Tracy Whites backup LB/ST demon position. Then the other one or two LB positions can be developmental or ST's oriented depending on what's available.

twoseven
02-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Last year, Chillar started 14 of the 15 games in which he played and had 85 tackles, two sacks, four passes defended and three forced fumbles.

Not sure what kind of defensive scheme they play in STL, but he put up some pretty damn good numbers as the 'other guy' next to Witherspoon and Pisa. His numbers rival Hawk's, but like I said I have no clue what scheme they play.

I like the sound of this guy better than the idea of converting the Lions Smith into a bigger slower version of the same thing.

Merlin
02-29-2008, 05:38 PM

I think Hodge is pretty much done. I would be surprised if he makes the roster this year.

Lurker64
02-29-2008, 05:42 PM
I think Hodge is pretty much done. I would be surprised if he makes the roster this year.

He's either done this year, or he begins this year. He tried to play his first season with an injury that limited his already unenviable speed, and missed the second season getting that injury fixed. If he's recovered, he'll likely be better this year than he was his first year when he was catching people's eye in places. If he's not healthy, he gets cut. He has the capacity to play, but bum knees have held him back.

Guiness
02-29-2008, 05:59 PM
I agree. i've never heard of the guy, but he's young and the stats quoted in the article aren't to bad.

Stats are just stats, but you have to like the four passes defended. Wonder if he got those while covering TEs???

Fred's Slacks
02-29-2008, 06:03 PM
I am pretty sure Chillar was the one who forced a Ryan Grant fumble on a screen pass early in our game this last year. I remember thinking he made a nice play on that and you couldn't really blame Grant. Could be a good pick up if we get him.

CaliforniaCheez
02-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Don't count Poppinga out yet.

More realistic viewpoint may be that depth behind Poppinga and Hawk is needed. White is not that special and Havner being ready is questionable.

Didn't Poppinga signed a 4 year deal in 2005 and is in the last year of his contract?

Lurker64
02-29-2008, 06:22 PM
White is not that special and Havner being ready is questionable.

White is also a free agent, and I understand that the Broncos have been inquiring after him. I'd be upset to lose him, personally.

Fritz
03-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Ah, some other team will overpay Chillar, he'll never even visit Green Bay, and we'll all bitch about Ted's purse strings.

I wonder if he could mollify the fan base by shelling out a monster contract to a free agent who has name recognition? Wouldn't matter who it was, or whether the guy could still play - as long as he was a "big name."

Woner if it'd be worth it to Ted, just to get us off his back - until the big name guy played for crap...

SkinBasket
03-01-2008, 07:48 AM
White is not that special and Havner being ready is questionable.

White is also a free agent, and I understand that the Broncos have been inquiring after him. I'd be upset to lose him, personally.

White was probably the biggest reason our special teams weren't "special" this year and it's not like he's going to break the bank to keep. It would be upsetting if he left.

RashanGary
03-01-2008, 07:52 AM
I like the idea of Poppinga and Tracy White being backup LB/ ST extraordinaires.

LL2
03-01-2008, 10:02 AM
I kind of wish TT would go out and spend moeny to get Briggs. Can you imagine having Briggs / Barnett/ Hawk on the field. It's not like the Packers don't have the money to spend. I know it's not going to happen though.