PDA

View Full Version : Corey Smith

Merlin
02-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Packers staying in the division?

FOXSports.com has learned Detroit defensive end Corey Smith is tentatively scheduled for a Monday free-agent visit with Green Bay. A seven-year NFL veteran, Smith saw action in 16 games last season with two starts.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7852370

Not sure if this was posted before. If the Packers are serious about signing a FA DE that may mean that Jenkins will probably be moved back inside on more downs and could have something to do with Cory Williams being traded.

Just a thought.

Lurker64
02-29-2008, 05:39 PM
I believe he's being brought in as a Special Teams signing. He's sort of a DE/SLB Tweener, so I don't know where he'd fit in our system. He might back up Poppinga, but I couldn't see him getting a lot of play at DE.

Then again, I'm not a scout and I can't read minds.

Ballboy
02-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Don't want him, never will.........from Bedard at JSOnline:

At 6-foot-2 and 250 pounds, the Packers could be looking at Smith as possible competition for Brady Poppinga at strong-side linebacker. However, he's not very quick and isn't good in coverage. Smith basically defines the term "tweener" as he's not quite big enough for end, and not fast enough for linebacker

enough said.

Merlin
03-02-2008, 03:50 AM
So basically you described any DT with that remark. So you support letting some DL depth go, support Poppinga, and Thompson is a genius because he got a draft pick? Not really sure here what to think.

Basically, if our DL has no depth, we have no DL. Late season proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt. outside of Picket and Kampman, no one else can play every down. I would call that a problem. So are we back to the same old build through the draft mentality for the 4th year in a row? Harrell definitely is no0t an every down DT, not even close to a starter right now. So we must go a 4th year in a row with rookies?

I love the optimism of fielding the most inexperienced team in the NFL 3 years in a row....

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Basically, if our DL has no depth, we have no DL. Late season proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt. outside of Picket and Kampman, no one else can play every down. I would call that a problem. So are we back to the same old build through the draft mentality for the 4th year in a row? Harrell definitely is no0t an every down DT, not even close to a starter right now. So we must go a 4th year in a row with rookies?

I love the optimism of fielding the most inexperienced team in the NFL 3 years in a row....

We let ONE d-lineman go (one who really isn't an every down player either) and we have NO depth? And you can't say Harrell isn't a starter because he was starting at the end of the season, so that's really not true. Who said we were going with all rookies? That team of "rookies" almost made the Super Bowl, why not be optimistic when the whole class of them is now experienced vets. We don't have one rookie on our team right now.

Scott Campbell
03-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Basically, if our DL has no depth, we have no DL. Late season proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt. outside of Picket and Kampman, no one else can play every down. I would call that a problem. So are we back to the same old build through the draft mentality for the 4th year in a row?

You just listed Pickett as being one of only 2 DL's that can play every down. Then you complain about another year of only building through the draft.

Pickett was a free agent you ninny.

falco
03-02-2008, 08:21 AM

correct me if i'm wrong, but weren't we inches away from being the superbowl last year???

cpk1994
03-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Don't want him, never will.........from Bedard at JSOnline:

At 6-foot-2 and 250 pounds, the Packers could be looking at Smith as possible competition for Brady Poppinga at strong-side linebacker. However, he's not very quick and isn't good in coverage. Smith basically defines the term "tweener" as he's not quite big enough for end, and not fast enough for linebacker

enough said.and becuase Bedard says it it must be fact. :roll:

KYPack
03-02-2008, 10:13 AM
I believe he's being brought in as a Special Teams signing. He's sort of a DE/SLB Tweener, so I don't know where he'd fit in our system. He might back up Poppinga, but I couldn't see him getting a lot of play at DE.

Then again, I'm not a scout and I can't read minds.

Yeah, he's mainly a ST guy. He's a DE. He has no career INT's and has only started 3 games in his NFL life. He's a look/see kind of player. I don't think we'll sign him.