PDA

View Full Version : Article - The Favre Crisis

MJZiggy
02-29-2008, 08:02 PM
It’s the off season. The NFL combine has just finished up and armchair General Managers have barely begun drooling...Read More!! (http://www.packerrats.com)

Rastak
02-29-2008, 11:27 PM
It’s the off season. The NFL combine has just finished up and armchair General Managers have barely begun drooling...Read More!! (http://www.packerrats.com)

Nice article Zig!

Guiness
03-01-2008, 04:30 AM
Well written - looks like it's from the heart!

MJZiggy
03-01-2008, 07:06 AM
Actually, I was kind of expecting that someone would disagree with me...

Patler
03-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Actually, I was kind of expecting that someone would disagree with me...

We're all scared of you, after all you have 10,000 posts!
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Fritz
03-01-2008, 07:33 AM
I think I have an answer to Favre's conundrum, which seems to revolve around the idea that he just hates the preparation involved.

Just don't do the preparation. Screw it. Sit on your tractor, Brett. Hang out with the kids. Eat hot dogs, drink beer. Belch a lot.

Then just show up i camp, and let Coach McCarthy work the pounds off ya. Give Rodgers the snaps til you're ready.

Ta-Da! Problem solved!

MJZiggy
03-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Maybe you're on to something, Fritz...could it be that the decision is taking so long because for every day he doesn't decide, he doesn't have to train?

RashanGary
03-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I've been saying that for a while. He wants McCarthy to show up and tell poor Brettney that he doesn't have to show up to most of the off season workouts workouts and camps. Then Brettney will happily tell the world he's comming back.

Something a little different happens with M^3 compared to M^2. M^3, rather than giving a shit what Brettney does, tells him if he's not completely committed to showing up and doing his job to wait until he is or don't show up at all. I love McCarthy's attitude and if Brett does decide to come back I think he'll be happy McCarthy made him come in for camps (it's always hard to go, but once you're there it's not bad. That's how work is for me anyway).

packinpatland
03-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Nice job MJ.........and here we thought you were going to bed early all week!

MJZiggy
03-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Uhhhh....I was going to bed early all week.

Fritz
03-01-2008, 11:03 AM
For all the right reasons, we hope.

MJZiggy
03-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Where've you been, Fritz. I got a job. I'm working for da man (turns out he's really nice even if the company peons are terrified of him) in the big, downtown office, commute and everything.

Patler
03-01-2008, 11:55 AM
I got a job.

That's fine for the off-season, but don't let it get in the way when training camp starts! :lol:

GrnBay007
03-01-2008, 12:15 PM
I've been saying that for a while. He wants McCarthy to show up and tell poor Brettney that he doesn't have to show up to most of the off season workouts workouts and camps. Then Brettney will happily tell the world he's comming back.

I've noticed you've been saying this for awhile....a lot! It's so amazing you know exactly what Brett wants. I wish I had that close of a relationship with him. :roll:

MJZiggy
03-01-2008, 12:15 PM
I got a job.

That's fine for the off-season, but don't let it get in the way when training camp starts! :lol:

I should have gotten myself into a rhythm by then... 8-)

Scott Campbell
03-01-2008, 01:31 PM
I've noticed you've been saying this for awhile....a lot! It's so amazing you know exactly what Brett wants. I wish I had that close of a relationship with him. :roll:

This is pretty closely aligned with my thinking. He's going to retire - it's just a matter of when. I have no idea when, so I don't buy into any of the speculation surrounding what other people think he might do or why. He'll retire when he's ready. Then we'll all pay tribute for awhile, and eventually move on. And Brett can take his place beside Bart as being one of the most glorious players in Packer and NFL history - with the emphasis on history.

Nice job Zig!

Rastak
03-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Only thing that interests me in this whole thing is that Favre said after the season he'd make up his mind soon. What events have suddenly thrown this into oblivion? I've said it before and get regularly ripped for it. Talk to the family, think about it hard, make a decision and then tell your employer. How long do these steps take? It varies but I would guess a couple weeks at best.

Lurker64
03-01-2008, 08:03 PM
I would guess that the Packers brass regularly tell Favre to take his time making this decision, since the less pressured he feels to make a decision, the more likely he is to return. Since "I'm retiring" is the decision that relieves all football related pressure forever.

So I'm assuming that things happen like:
Favre: "I'm thinking I'll have a decision next week."
McCarthy/Thompson/Murphy: "No need to rush the decision, whenever you want to tell us will be fine."
Favre: "Okay, maybe not next week then."

The Shadow
03-02-2008, 11:17 AM
No retirement without the Grand Farewell Tour.
No way.

oregonpackfan
03-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Only thing that interests me in this whole thing is that Favre said after the season he'd make up his mind soon. What events have suddenly thrown this into oblivion? I've said it before and get regularly ripped for it. Talk to the family, think about it hard, make a decision and then tell your employer. How long do these steps take? It varies but I would guess a couple weeks at best.

I share these sentiments, Rastak. I find it difficult to imagine you could not make this decision in just a couple of weeks. Part of me suspects that Brett is a pronasticator. He just can't make a decision about retirement unless some one or some situation forces him to make it.