PDA

View Full Version : Sucks to Be a Browns Fan on Draft Day

Fritz
03-01-2008, 07:29 AM
What is up with Cleveland? They give up this year's first last year for Brady Quinn, sign the guy playing ahead of him to a huge deal, then deal their second round pick away for Corey Williams, a guy who may have hit his ceiling, then deal their third round pick for Shaun Rogers, the magician who does a disappearing act in the second half of the season nearly every year.

I am so, so glad I am not a Cleveland fan. Name a team that traded away its top two or three picks in a draft in order to win now - and then actually won. Curious to see what people come up with. Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

gbpackfan
03-01-2008, 07:42 AM
I can't believe what the Browns gave up to get Rogers. The Browns board is calling Bodden their best CB. I dont think Bodden is all that great, but I guess it depends on the other corners on the team. Then, they also gave up a 3rd round pick! HA HA HA HA.

Either way, I am glad to see Rogers leave the division. He's a ghost sometimes but can really clog the lane when he comes to play.

Patler
03-01-2008, 07:55 AM
I checked a Browns fan site, and someone stated the Browns had traded their 5th round pick in this draft before last season.

Edit: I checked into this more deeply. According to a press conference by Savage last week, the pick that was traded was a conditional pick, and will be their 6th round pick. But, they have Seattle's 6th from another deal.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-01-2008, 08:32 AM
They might not have any draft picks, but they are becoming a very talented team. They might have added to great players in the prime of there careers for only a 2nd and a 3rd. Not that bad IMO. And if Quinn and Anderson are both good players, they will at least get a first back from one of them.

Patler
03-01-2008, 08:43 AM
They might not have any draft picks, but they are becoming a very talented team. They might have added to great players in the prime of there careers for only a 2nd and a 3rd. Not that bad IMO. And if Quinn and Anderson are both good players, they will at least get a first back from one of them.

Time will tell if this was wise or not. The top of their 2008 draft shapes up like this:

1st round - Brady Quinn
2nd round - Corey Williams
3rd round - Shaun Rogers

The salary cap implications aside, it is hard to say those players aren't worth the draft picks spent on them. Williams and Rogers could do well next to each other.

KYPack
03-01-2008, 08:55 AM
I noticed a trend. We have posters on the forum that jump at every FA that comes down the pike. Savage is the GM for them. Cleveland better win now, because they are mortgaging their future big time.

Between the Savage approach and TT, I'll take TT. The "win now" gang has more short term fun, but Thompson's way is far superior.

Patler
03-01-2008, 09:31 AM
I noticed a trend. We have posters on the forum that jump at every FA that comes down the pike. Savage is the GM for them. Cleveland better win now, because they are mortgaging their future big time.

Between the Savage approach and TT, I'll take TT. The "win now" gang has more short term fun, but Thompson's way is far superior.

Generally speaking, I agree. I like TT's approach to things. But what Savage has done is a little different than the typical "win now" approach, because Rogers and Williams are both young (28 and 27). He hasn't mortgaged the future like the GMS who sign the 10 year veterans to huge contracts. Williams and Rogers both could play another 5-7 years at what they are today. You can actually expect to build around them.

The biggest question with both is whether they will be good enough to justify the salary cap impacts of their contracts.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy with the draft pick for Williams (unless TT picks a flop!), and I didn't want Rogers in Green Bay. But this also could work out for the Browns.

KYPack
03-01-2008, 09:42 AM

Generally speaking, I agree. I like TT's approach to things. But what Savage has done is a little different than the typical "win now" approach, because Rogers and Williams are both young (28 and 27). He hasn't mortgaged the future like the GMS who sign the 10 year veterans to huge contracts. Williams and Rogers both could play another 5-7 years at what they are today. You can actually expect to build around them.

The biggest question with both is whether they will be good enough to justify the salary cap impacts of their contracts.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy with the draft pick for Williams (unless TT picks a flop!), and I didn't want Rogers in Green Bay. But this also could work out for the Browns.

It just may work for the Brownies. Williams is a complimentary player. He plays well when he has support. Rogers can be that shoulder to lean on. But, if Rogers pulls his disappearing act. Williams can't carry the line by himself. That will be an interesting situation on Lake Erie.

I still think we got the best of that deal.

oregonpackfan
03-01-2008, 09:46 AM
The Browns remind me of the late George Allen. He was the Redskins coach who would trade away draft choices for proven veterans.

A sportswriter for the 'Skins once wrote, "When George was a kid his Dad gave him a 6 week old puppy. George went out and traded it away for two 12 year old cats!" :)

RashanGary
03-01-2008, 10:05 AM
There are no draft picks that would do what Rogers and Williams will do next year. Next to each other and with other Dlineman in the rotation, they're going to do a fine job.

They also have a good QB, one of the best LT's in the game and a talented Ewards/Winslow 1/2 punch.

Cleveland will be good next year. Will they get to the SB with this approach? I doubt it, but if their goal is to win the most games over the next two or three years, I think they accomplished it.

I prefer TT's approach, but there are some people here who I know would be extatic if we made some of the moves this Savage guy makes.

Scott Campbell
03-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Nevermind. OPF beat me to it.

Freak Out
03-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Makes for a boring draft day but if they win the fans won't give a rats ass. Why did they give up a pick for Rogers? I thought he was a UFA? guess not.

Lurker64
03-01-2008, 10:46 AM
You can actually kind of understand what the mindset of the Browns is. They have passionate loyal fans who have had their heart broken again and again and haven't had a lot of success in recent memory. They've only had two winning seasons since rejoining the league in 1999 and they haven't had a ton of success in the Pre-Ravens days.

It's not so much an issue of "Win Now" I imagine, it's largely an issue of "Win... please?"

Fritz
03-01-2008, 10:52 AM
First, I'm still waiting to see if anyone has an example of any team that has given up the entire top of its draft and been successful in the short term. George Allen in the 70's? Maybe? Did he ever give up his first two or three round picks and make it to the SB that same year? Bobby Beatherd, maybe?

Secondly, my theory - and I'm sticking to it until I'm proven wrong, and at that point I'll hope no one notices - is that Williams and Rogers will get off to gangbuster starts, but after the mid-point of the season both will fade badly.

I also think less of D. Andersen than some other posters here, and dont think as highly of the Winslow/Edwards combo. I see heartbreak for the Browns.

Charles Woodson
03-01-2008, 10:55 AM
First, I'm still waiting to see if anyone has an example of any team that has given up the entire top of its draft and been successful in the short term. George Allen in the 70's? Maybe? Did he ever give up his first two or three round picks and make it to the SB that same year? Bobby Beatherd, maybe?

Secondly, my theory - and I'm sticking to it until I'm proven wrong, and at that point I'll hope no one notices - is that Williams and Rogers will get off to gangbuster starts, but after the mid-point of the season both will fade badly.

I also think less of D. Andersen than some other posters here, and dont think as highly of the Winslow/Edwards combo. I see heartbreak for the Browns.

Im not sold on Anderson, but im drinking braylon edward's koolaid...

Fritz
03-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Well, I've always kinda liked the Browns - an old-school AFC team. I liked Paul Warfield a lot. So I don't root against them, unless they're playing the Pack.

Cheesehead Craig
03-01-2008, 11:14 AM
The Browns offense was good last year, the problem was their defense. They went out and got 2 solid guys to take care of the middle. It's certainly a big upgrade over what they had. Even if the defense improves only 3-5 spots, that could make them an 11-12 win team. I think these moves are very good ones for Cleveland.

Iron Mike
03-01-2008, 06:54 PM
I'd say it sucks to be a Browns fan pretty much every day of the week. :twisted:

Fritz
03-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Hey, what's up with all these teams - the Jets, the Niners, the Queens - spending like a bunch of drunken sailors? Are they trying to buy good off-season press?

]{ilr]3
03-02-2008, 08:23 AM
I'd say it sucks to be a Browns fan pretty much every day of the week. :twisted:

As far as fans go the Browns are the only team in the NFL that compare to the Packers fans that will fill the stadium even if they only win 4 games a season.

They are some die hard fans.

I pick the Browns the win the AFC North next year. The Steelers offense is going to be worse IMO without Allan Faneca. The Bengals will continue to tear themselves apart and the Ravens will be lucky to improve to 6 wins next year. I dont think we will see a Wild Card come out of the AFC North.

b bulldog
03-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Agree, I like what type of team the Browns are. They are a blue collar team that plays in the elements and imo, are what the NFL should be about.

Fritz
03-02-2008, 11:43 AM
I don't know about the rest of the team, but Shaun Rogers is a blue collar player only insofar as he's way overweight and likes to eat.