PDA

View Full Version : Jason Taylor to the pack???

packers11
03-01-2008, 12:17 PM
pft.com

POSTED 1:14 p.m. EST, March 1, 2008

NO TRADE FOR TAYLOR, YET

There are highly unsubstantiated Internet rumors of a trade that would send Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor to the Packers for a second-round pick and a fourth-round pick.

Though it's possible that the Fins and the Packers are talking, there's a key component in all of this that hasn't occurred. Specifically, no one has broached the subject with Taylor.

And we're convinced that no team would swing a trade for Taylor absent a clear and unequivocal commitment from him that he'd welcome the deal and not retire.

Taylor currently is in preparations for the next season of Dancing with the Stars. Unless he pulls a Kenny Mayne, Taylor won't be available for a big chunk of the offseason workouts. So who would want to give up a 2008 draft pick or two for a guy that can be had later for selections in 2009?

We're not saying a trade won't happen. In fact, we wouldn't be surprised to learn that Taylor wants out of Miami. But we're convinced that nothing is going to happen in the short term, and we believed that nothing will happen at all until Taylor's time on television ends.

Meanwhile, we've got a feeling that anyone who wants Taylor is going to have to pay him. It's the Tommy Kelly effect; if a so-so guy coming off a torn ACL gets $18 million guaranteed, what is a high-end player worth?

Partial
03-01-2008, 12:25 PM
This would be a great pick-up even with his age.

LL2
03-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I would trade for him if the price was right, but at his age I wouldn't give him "Kelly" type money. Also, would a life time Miami person do well in the elements of GB week in and week out?

Patler
03-01-2008, 12:35 PM
I would trade for him if the price was right, but at his age I wouldn't give him "Kelly" type money. Also, would a life time Miami person do well in the elements of GB week in and week out?

I might be willing to give him the money on an annual basis, but I wouldn't give Miami a 2nd and 4th round picks for a 34 year old DE.

Brando19
03-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Hell yeah! Bring him on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arcilite
03-01-2008, 12:45 PM

I might be willing to give him the money on an annual basis, but I wouldn't give Miami a 2nd and 4th round picks for a 34 year old DE.

This.

Why do we want a 34 yr old DE who is considering retirement?

We must hold onto our draft picks.

Lurker64
03-01-2008, 12:52 PM
He is not worth a first day pick. If you can get him for a fourth or something, maybe.

Bretsky
03-01-2008, 12:59 PM
3rd max; highly doubt this will ever happen

BallHawk
03-01-2008, 01:14 PM
3rd max; highly doubt this will ever happen

Agreed.

Draft picks for an already banged up DE? Doesn't sound like T.T's M.O.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Even though it wouldn't make much sense, just offer them KGB. :)

Scott Campbell
03-01-2008, 01:34 PM
The headline would have to read:

Extreme Personality Makeover - Ted Thompson edition.

CaliforniaCheez
03-01-2008, 01:59 PM
The Packers are not the Vikings.

Two draft picks for 2 declining years of production does not make sense.

Is he 4th DE ahead of Montgomery?? That's no deal.

b bulldog
03-01-2008, 02:01 PM
He is a talent but his age and the money he would want are red flags imo, not to mention what Miami would want for him in exchange.

KYPack
03-01-2008, 02:33 PM

Kelly doesn't deserve Kelly money.

Jason Taylor was born in Pittsburgh (A McCarthy guy, eh?) and played at Akron. He was an outside LB at Akron, one of the best draft hits ever.

No way do you give any high picks for him. Tuna will weasel a 5th or so for him eventually. Big Bill will have that whole roster turned over, maybe by this year. There ain't anybody on it they "need" to keep.

Pacopete4
03-01-2008, 02:54 PM
i think giving up a 2 and a 6 or a 3 and a 5 would be good.. but not a 2 and 4, he would bring that defensive end needed for our D to really turn the corner and be stellar

Guiness
03-01-2008, 04:33 PM
First Zach Thomas and now JT, eh? Wow, they've been the face of that D for some time.

This is pretty much modus operadi for the Tuna though. I'm a little surprised, because neither of these guys had caused much trouble, and can still play. Maybe not cornerstones anymore, but not overpriced big name trash, either.

Charles Woodson
03-01-2008, 04:34 PM
First Zach Thomas and now JT, eh? Wow, they've been the face of that D for some time.

This is pretty much modus operadi for the Tuna though. I'm a little surprised, because neither of these guys had caused much trouble, and can still play. Maybe not cornerstones anymore, but not overpriced big name trash, either.

actually it makes sense,

Thomas didnt play much last year because of concussions.

If your trying to rebuild a team, might as well get all the older players out and in return get something for them...

Iron Mike
03-01-2008, 05:58 PM
I'd rather pick up Justin Smith from the Bengals. Think of it........two skinny white guys for DEs.

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2008, 06:02 PM
I'd rather pick up Justin Smith from the Bengals. Think of it........two skinny white guys for DEs.

Smith isn't really that skinny. He just signed with San Fran for 6 years/$45M with $20M guaranteed. He had 2 sacks last year, and I don't think he was injured.

green_bowl_packer
03-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Don't forget that JT played in this defensive scheme before when Bates and Sanders were back in Miami. I don't know what position he played OLB or DE, or what his performance was. Should be interesting to follow, I don't know that he's worth a 2 and a 4, but I'd like him on the cheap.

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2008, 06:09 PM
If it's a 2nd and 4th for Taylor, I don't like it.

twoseven
03-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Hypothetically, if they were to trade for Taylor what becomes of KGB and his 7 mil? What becomes of Jenkins and his recently signed deal?

In my GM fantasy, if we're in the mood to give up multiple picks for an impact DE.. I say we draft for depth with our high picks this year and say the hell with it and surrender the first and the third next year and pony up for Jared Allen right now, hoping the depth we add this year will make up for the lack of a 1st and a 3rd in 09'. Then trade KGB to a team with a needy pass rush for anything we can get.

Hey, it's not that crazy if we are actually debating multiple picks for Taylor and his old arse.

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2008, 07:37 PM
The compensation would be two 1st round picks for Allen--unless a trade could be worked out. Let's not forget that the guy is one strike away from being suspended for the year.

the_idle_threat
03-01-2008, 11:42 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/the_idle_threat/samir.jpg

BallHawk
03-01-2008, 11:45 PM
JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS!!!!

Tyrone Bigguns
03-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Good evening Sir, my name is Steve. I come from a rough area. I used to be addicted to crack but now I am off it and trying to stay clean. That is why I am selling magazine subscriptions.

Merlin
03-02-2008, 03:38 AM
Reggie White was no spring chicken when he came to Green Bay. Even when he got to Green Bay, he was not a dominant player. Although he commanded attention and Jason Taylor would do that too. Sometimes it's about the name not the age.

twoseven
03-02-2008, 05:28 AM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/the_idle_threat/samir.jpg
It would be nice to have that kind of job security..

I too am not a pussy..

the_idle_threat
03-02-2008, 07:02 AM
"What am I going to do with 40 subscriptions to Vibe?"

LOL @ "I too am not a pussy."

Brando19
03-02-2008, 11:07 AM
www.profootballtalk.com

On Saturday, Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported that the Dolphins and defensive end Jason Taylor are headed for an amicable divorce.

In response, Dolphins V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells says that Taylor won't be leaving.

Parcells told Chris Mortensen of ESPN that Taylor's options for 2008 will be to play for the Fins, or to retire.

"This latest report is just another example of journalistic irresponsibility," Parcells said.

Ouch.

Though we're not sure how this is all going to play out, we strongly believe that Taylor isn't interested in playing for the Dolphins in 2008. So if the choice is to play for the Fins or pack it in, Taylor might very well do the latter.

Especially if this Dancing With The Stars thing ends up being the gateway to the kind of Hollywood career that guys like Matt Leinart and Braylon Edwards can only dream of.

Fritz
03-02-2008, 11:49 AM
I try to be reasonable about differing opinions, but I can't quite help my reaction to those of you who think that it'd be a good idea to part with a 2nd and 4th round pick and then shovel a big contract out to a 34 year old defensive lineman whose greatest interest at the moment appears to be Dancing with the Stars:

ARE YOU OUTTA YOUR FLIPPIN' MINDS???

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 12:39 PM
a Packer Report.com writer indicated most likely Miami would just be able to get a 3rd or 4th for Taylor at this point in his career.

I would not give up a 2nd, I'd be hesitant about a 3rd, but I'd give the 4th up without hesitation

Patler
03-02-2008, 12:44 PM
I would not give up a 2nd, I'd be hesitant about a 3rd, but I'd give the 4th up without hesitation

That's about the way I feel, except I wouldn't hesitate about the third, I simply would not do it. A 4th is as high as I would go, especially now that the 3rd round is the first round of the second day.

A big front end contract doesn't bother me, as long as the long term implications are not significant if he retires or declines.

Iron Mike
03-02-2008, 04:28 PM
http://www.gothamist.com/images/milton_looks.jpgThe ratio of people to cake is too big.

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 04:38 PM
www.profootballtalk.com

"This latest report is just another example of journalistic irresponsibility," Parcells said.

Ouch.

Spectacular.

rbaloha1
03-02-2008, 04:41 PM
JT is an every down player with much left in the tank.

I would trade KGB and a draft pic. Move Cullen Jenkins
back to dt.

Pass rush improves. Adding another pro bowler only enhances an already good defense.

Lurker64
03-02-2008, 04:42 PM
I don't put any stock in Parcell's comment, as I expect everything said by an NFL GM, Coach, or other team executive between the start of Free Agency and the Draft to be a carefully calculated lie in order to increase or decrease the market value of certain players.

The Dolphins might not be actively looking to trade Taylor, but certainly they're looking for a big enough offer to come in (probably on draft day) in order to justify letting him walk.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 05:07 PM
The Dolphins are a few years away from success; that puts Taylor at 36-37. Of course they will trade him if the price is right for them.

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Reggie White was no spring chicken when he came to Green Bay. Even when he got to Green Bay, he was not a dominant player. Although he commanded attention and Jason Taylor would do that too. Sometimes it's about the name not the age.

Reggie was 31 when he signed him. Not young, but you knew he had a good 3-4 years left in him. He was also a freak of nature. Not dominant? Hardly. Dude was an All-Pro the year before he came to Green Bay.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1992/allpro.htm

BallHawk
03-02-2008, 08:52 PM
TT should learn to work the phones like this dude.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/10221_office_space_stapler_with_milton1.jpg

I'll give you a 5th rounder for Jason Taylor or else I'll burn your stadium down.

Brando19
03-02-2008, 09:56 PM
http://gnb.scout.com/2/733950.html

Dolphins executive VP of football operations Bill Parcells told ESPN's Chris Mortensen and the South Florida Sun-Sentinel Sunday that Taylor will be playing for Miami in 2008, contrary to published reports.
There has been widespread speculation that the Packers would be willing to trade a couple of draft picks to Miami for Taylor, who is entering his 12th season. The Packers are seeking to improve the defensive end position this offseason and Taylor, who has had 33 1/2 sacks in the past three seasons, could be the perfect fit opposite Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Kampman.

The speculation grew in intensity over the weekend when a report on Yahoo.com Saturday said that Taylor, 33, had moved out of South Florida to Los Angeles. Taylor is practicing for his stint on the upcoming "Dancing With the Stars" television show.

The report also said that Taylor, the 2006 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, and the team, "have graciously agreed to part ways between now and the NFL draft April 26."

Parcells shot down the report, telling the South Florida Sun-Sentinel on Sunday evening, "The latest report is just another example of journalistic irresponsibility."

Taylor would provide an immediate impact in Green Bay's defense. With defensive tackle Corey Williams in Cleveland, the Packers could move Cullen Jenkins, who started opposite Kampman last season, inside next to Ryan Pickett to form a very potent starting front four.

It is believed that the Dolphins were trying to get at least a first round draft pick for the six-time Pro Bowl player. However, Parcells isn't listening to any trade offers at the moment for Taylor.

MadtownPacker
03-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Taylor for a 4th is gold. This guy wants to win now, is a character guy and he already knows the Packers D scheme. Easy choice if available IMO.

fan4life
03-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Taylor for a 4th is gold. This guy wants to win now, is a character guy and he already knows the Packers D scheme. Easy choice if available IMO. I agree.

pittstang5
03-03-2008, 11:19 AM
I like the idea of Taylor coming to GB and like most have posted...but at what price. I think a 3rd or 4th is feasible and fair.

Maybe because of the FA period now here and seeing other teams signing all kinds of players, I really want this to happen. Even Parcells disspelling rumors means nothing to me. How many times do we see this in the NFL... A coach or GM saying...no, we're not interested in parting with X player. Two weeks later, X player is on a plane headed to his new team.

MadtownPacker
03-03-2008, 11:46 AM
www.profootballtalk.com

In response, Dolphins V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells says that Taylor won't be leaving.

Parcells told Chris Mortensen of ESPN that Taylor's options for 2008 will be to play for the Fins, or to retire.Yeah, Taylor's really gonna want to work for that asshole. Tuna has made it clear he doesnt want Taylor with those comments IMO. Parcells will trade him, who will bite is the question.

The Leaper
03-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Taylor for a 4th round pick is a no-brainer IMO...just as Moss for a 4th last year was a no-brainer. Sure, he's older...but he has 1-2 more solid seasons left in him IMO. Everyone said Strahan was washed up too...whoopsies.

Taylor for a 3rd...it becomes a little less yummy, but I think I'd still hit it.

I wouldn't give up a first day pick for Taylor though.

MTPackerfan
03-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Taylor for a 4th round pick is a no-brainer IMO...just as Moss for a 4th last year was a no-brainer. Sure, he's older...but he has 1-2 more solid seasons left in him IMO. Everyone said Strahan was washed up too...whoopsies.

Taylor for a 3rd...it becomes a little less yummy, but I think I'd still hit it.

I wouldn't give up a first day pick for Taylor though.

I agreed with your thinking. He has a couple of good years left and is a quality player.

Fritz
03-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Is he really going to put this team over the top next year?

I might - might - risk a fourth rounder for him, and a two year, front-loaded deal. And that's if I'm feeling crazy.

Partial
03-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Are you serious Fritz? This guy was defensive player of the year two years ago. He is a heck of a player on a bad team. Pair him with Kampman and two big fatties up the gut and he gets 12-15 sacks.

BallHawk
03-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Are you serious Fritz? This guy was defensive player of the year two years ago.

Bold=emphasis.

Partial
03-03-2008, 02:55 PM

Bold=emphasis.

OK, but if he was named that about 400 days ago, do you think he went from the best defensive player in the NFL to terrible that quick? At the very least, he'd be solid. I am all for getting him.

KYPack
03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Taylor for a 4?

That's an OK deal. He's got at least a year, year and a half left. If TT would do that one, he'll wait until the draft. It's still fan/stupid money time. If Tuna can't move Taylor, he will be open to a draft day deal.

A 2 & a four?

No way.

That's SFran deal.

This guy can play and he knows how to be a RDE in that Bates D.

Taylor playing the wide spot makes our D tough on all 3 bdowns.

I doubt we will get it, but if it comes up, pull the trigger Mr. Thompson.

HarveyWallbangers
03-03-2008, 03:11 PM

Bold=emphasis.

OK, but if he was named that about 400 days ago, do you think he went from the best defensive player in the NFL to terrible that quick? At the very least, he'd be solid. I am all for getting him.

He's 34 years old. You just don't see trading a 2nd and 4th for a guy who might have two years left.

The Leaper
03-03-2008, 03:38 PM

How likely is it that a late 4th round draft pick will put us over the top?

Taylor is still a solid DE. Have any of you complainers actually looked at the guy's stats from last year?

11 sacks
4 forced fumbled
1 blocked kick
1 interception...for a TD
4 tipped passes

And mind you...this is on a defense of a ONE WIN TEAM without any real playmakers around him. He also showed no real sign of decline as the season wore on, despite the situation he was in. Taylor is a stud who doesn't turn 34 until September. He still has 2 good years left in him, and would instantly spice up our pass rush significantly.

Apparently, some of you forgot why the Giants won the Super Bowl this year. Taylor should be a priority if he is made available.

IMO, he is precisely the kind of player that COULD put our team over the top...which is why you don't hesitate to give up a 4th round pick to obtain him, and would consider offering a low 3rd to get the deal done if necessary.

twoseven
03-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Our fourth round pick is almost a fifth round pick. Our third round pick is almost a fourth. Who are we going to outbid with our fourth round pick, leave for NYG and NE? IMO, trade the third and get it over with or don't bother becuase it won't be enough.

I think Taylor would be the answer to finally complimenting Kampy for the next two years (or more, Taylor is a great athlete in great shape). Does it move Jenkins inside and create more DT depth? In my GM fantasy mode I think our third is a no brainer, but could see us being outbid pretty easily. There are many desperate teams out there for defense. Taylor is a bigger playmaker than many that have been overpaid in FA so far.

We seem content to put up with KGB for another 1-2 years, then we'll probably cut him. I don't see how Taylor's potential 1-2 years are any more temporary and unworthy than KGB's. If you could choose, who would you rather have for the next one-two years, Taylor or KGB?

PackerBlues
03-03-2008, 04:25 PM

Taylor is still a solid DE. Have any of you complainers actually looked at the guy's stats from last year?

11 sacks
4 forced fumbled
1 blocked kick
4 tipped passes

And mind you...this is on a defense of a ONE WIN TEAM without any real playmakers around him. He also showed no real sign of decline as the season wore on, despite the situation he was in. Taylor is a stud who doesn't turn 34 until September. He still has 2 good years left in him, and would instantly spice up our pass rush significantly.

Apparently, some of you forgot why the Giants won the Super Bowl this year. Taylor should be a priority if he is made available.

IMO, he is precisely the kind of player that COULD put our team over the top...which is why you don't hesitate to give up a 4th round pick to obtain him, and would consider offering a low 3rd to get the deal done if necessary.

GB recieved a 2nd for Williams. Wouldn't that make Taylor worth more in comparison?

#1 reason Taylor will not come to GB...........

Thompson's sale pitch to Taylor: "We really want you to come play for GB. We want you in GB so much, that we are willing to give up a late 4'th round draft pick. We will of coarse want to put a few clauses in your contract because we are worried about your behavior becoming a problem, but just as long as you realize that Kampman is the man in GB, and that you are not to step on his toes, you should be a great fit in GB."

twoseven
03-03-2008, 04:33 PM

11 sacks
4 forced fumbled
1 blocked kick
4 tipped passes

I have heard more than a handful of times that 'we were only 3 points away from the super bowl.' Well, if that's the case then I guess my opinion is..you're damn right I think Taylor, if he is putting up those kinds of numbers above on a crappy defense, could help put us and our not crappy defense and team over the top.

The Leaper
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
GB recieved a 2nd for Williams. Wouldn't that make Taylor worth more in comparison?

No. The situations are completely different.

The tag factors in.
The age of the players factors in.
The rebuilding/new front office in Miami factors in.

Miami is rebuilding from square one...and holding on to Taylor makes little sense at this point for them, as he'll be in decline well before the Dolphins are competitive again. As such, getting what they can for him now allows the team to move forward and start developing their young talent. However, other teams also know this...and won't offer a premium package for him. That wasn't true in CW's case...Green Bay was willing to pay him the tag number and have him on the roster if other teams wouldn't offer a premium package.

Ultimately, I think it would take a 3rd round pick to snare Taylor from the Dolphins...since our slot is so low in the round. I'm sure numerous teams would consider giving up a 4th for him...but not too many will consider giving up a 3rd, so we benefit from being at the bottom of the 3rd round.

twoseven
03-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Ultimately, I think it would take a 3rd round pick to snare Taylor from the Dolphins...since our slot is so low in the round. I'm sure numerous teams would consider giving up a 4th for him...but not too many will consider giving up a 3rd, so we benefit from being at the bottom of the 3rd round.
Or for a little bit more, possibly our second round pick (from the Browns) and our third round pick FOR Taylor and THEIR third round pick.

This allows them a few more slots as we give up our third and swap about 7 slots by trading our earlier second for their third (swap #56 for #63).

Charles Woodson
03-03-2008, 06:40 PM

11 sacks
4 forced fumbled
1 blocked kick
4 tipped passes

Thompson's sale pitch to Taylor: "We really want you to come play for GB. We want you in GB so much, that we are willing to give up a late 4'th round draft pick. We will of coarse want to put a few clauses in your contract because we are worried about your behavior becoming a problem, but just as long as you realize that Kampman is the man in GB, and that you are not to step on his toes, you should be a great fit in GB."

what are you talking about? When has he had behavior problems? if thats your only concern than thats pretty good. I watched him play and he still has it.Putting him opposite of kampman would be a good fit. an upgrade over jenkins. Im not expecting it, much like i didnt expect moss to come to green bay

Lurker64
03-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Taylor is so beloved by Dolphin fans that trading him is going to be hard for Parcells to do even if he was actively doing so. He won't be traded for anything that's not a clearly good value in picks (2nd and 4th sounds about right), picks and a young up and coming player, or picks on draft day that allow the Dolphins to immediately pick up a player who is perceived to be an exceptional value. This changes, however, if Taylor demands a trade to a contender.

If Parcells trades Taylor for a low fourth round pick, he's looking at an abject public relations disaster on his hands. Dolphin fans are happy to keep Taylor, no matter how bad the team is around him because he's really the soul and face of the franchise.

A few years ago, after we finished 4-12 remember how you felt when all of the media outlets were banging the drum calling for Favre to be traded to a contender because we "obviously weren't going anywhere" and "you might as well get something for him." I imagine that's kind of how Dolphins fans feel about this.

MadtownPacker
03-03-2008, 07:12 PM

Thompson's sale pitch to Taylor: "We really want you to come play for GB. We want you in GB so much, that we are willing to give up a late 4'th round draft pick. We will of coarse want to put a few clauses in your contract because we are worried about your behavior becoming a problem, but just as long as you realize that Kampman is the man in GB, and that you are not to step on his toes, you should be a great fit in GB."Your pathetic attempt to take a swipe at TT has only solidified my opinion that you dont really want to argue about Taylor or any FA. Instead you just wanna talk about your mancrush on the GM.

Taylor is is pretty much the anti-moss. A dominant player who plays hard every play even on a shitty team that isnt going anywhere. Plus I have read he is a health freak. Thats why he is still putting up great stats at his age.

And before you pull the "no black man wants to play in GB" card (because eventually you will), you do know he was married to Zach Thomas' sister (a whitegirl) right?

PackerBlues
03-03-2008, 07:23 PM

Thompson's sale pitch to Taylor: "We really want you to come play for GB. We want you in GB so much, that we are willing to give up a late 4'th round draft pick. We will of coarse want to put a few clauses in your contract because we are worried about your behavior becoming a problem, but just as long as you realize that Kampman is the man in GB, and that you are not to step on his toes, you should be a great fit in GB."Your pathetic attempt to take a swipe at TT has only solidified my opinion that you dont really want to argue about Taylor or any FA. Instead you just wanna talk about your mancrush on the GM.

Taylor is is pretty much the anti-moss. A dominant player who plays hard every play even on a shitty team that isnt going anywhere. Plus I have read he is a health freak. Thats why he is still putting up great stats at his age.

And before you pull the "no black man wants to play in GB" card (because eventually you will), you do know he was married to Zach Thomas' sister (a whitegirl) right? :drma: :drma: :drma: huh?

MadtownPacker
03-03-2008, 07:32 PM
:drma: :drma: :drma: huh?I guess I covered everything huh?

Partial
03-03-2008, 08:02 PM

Bold=emphasis.

He's 34 years old. You just don't see trading a 2nd and 4th for a guy who might have two years left.

I wouldn't trade a 4th, but I'd lose Corey Williams gladly if it meant two years of JT.

KYPack
03-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't trade a 4th, but I'd lose Corey Williams gladly if it meant two years of JT.

Does this mean you would trade the 2nd.

er what?

Bretsky
03-03-2008, 08:32 PM

I might - might - risk a fourth rounder for him, and a two year, front-loaded deal. And that's if I'm feeling crazy.

Oh stop being such a wimp :lol: Giving up a fourth is not much of a risk if we want to try to win near term

pack4to84
03-03-2008, 09:15 PM
If TT trades our 2nd rd and 4th rd pick to get Taylor. We basicly just trade Williams who didn't want to be here for Taylor. Plus moved up in the 2nd rd.

Our 2nd rd pick 60 = 284 points
4th rd = 46 points
both together = 344 points

Browns 2nd rd pick =340

Partial
03-03-2008, 09:33 PM

Does this mean you would trade the 2nd.

er what?

Precisely. If you look at which player would have a greater impact in 2008, than answer is clearly JT. Super bowl or bust guys.

MadtownPacker
03-04-2008, 02:15 AM
If TT trades our 2nd rd and 4th rd pick to get Taylor. We basicly just trade Williams who didn't want to be here for Taylor. Plus moved up in the 2nd rd.

Our 2nd rd pick 60 = 284 points
4th rd = 46 points
both together = 344 points

Browns 2nd rd pick =340Very interesting. I still wouldnt give up a #2 but those numbers are convincing.

twoseven
03-04-2008, 03:52 AM
Taylor is so beloved by Dolphin fans that trading him is going to be hard for Parcells to do even if he was actively doing so. He won't be traded for anything that's not a clearly good value in picks (2nd and 4th sounds about right), picks and a young up and coming player, or picks on draft day that allow the Dolphins to immediately pick up a player who is perceived to be an exceptional value. This changes, however, if Taylor demands a trade to a contender.

If Parcells trades Taylor for a low fourth round pick, he's looking at an abject public relations disaster on his hands. Dolphin fans are happy to keep Taylor, no matter how bad the team is around him because he's really the soul and face of the franchise.

A few years ago, after we finished 4-12 remember how you felt when all of the media outlets were banging the drum calling for Favre to be traded to a contender because we "obviously weren't going anywhere" and "you might as well get something for him." I imagine that's kind of how Dolphins fans feel about this.
IMO Favre is different, he WON a title in GB amongst numerous other achievements, Taylor has not been a part of anything other than a playoff caliber team in his time in Miami. Favre leaving GB is a much bigger deal than JT leaving MIA.

Let's say 06' and 07' would have been 4-7 wins for Favre here in GB instead of 8 and 13. I would have rather had AR getting to play and had Brett's cap space to build on than Brett hanging on with us versus retired OR traded for picks to a contender and trying to win one more ring elsewhere. The Dolphins were 1-15 and are years away from actually contending.

I know JT is still under contract, but considering the whole nostalgic feelings towards long time players angle and how the fans would react, what about Zach Thomas and how his MIA days ended? He went off to a contender when he was deemed no longer worthwhile in MIA. I bet there are some MIA fans that thought Zach deserved a small contract to play it out in MIA, but Parcells didn't think so.

I agree for MIA it might be better to just hold onto JT because he is signed. But the team is coming off 1-15, they need help everywhere, they need draft picks, and they don't need a higher priced vet that could be gone in 1-2 years and getting nothing for him in return leave for cap space. Bill Parcels owes the Miami organization, its players, and the fans a winning football program as soon as possible. MIA has no QB, they traded their best player Chambers last season, their RB is coming off of knee surgery, they've already unloaded several vets in the last month. Their situation is so grim that it is widely specualted they'll trade the first pick in the draft becuase no one player is worth the chance to trade down and get more picks. Is JT really worth hanging onto? I dunno, and Parcells is known for making tough decisions for the good of the team.

I think it's asking a lot to be shipping a second round pick and something else straight up for a 34 year old. Other players traded for those kinds of deals were younger. However, Parcells will get more than a low fourth round pick for Taylor, no doubt in my mind.

Fritz
03-04-2008, 07:52 AM

Oh stop being such a wimp :lol: Giving up a fourth is not much of a risk if we want to try to win near term

Sorry, Bretsky. Okay, okay, I'd give up the fourth.

If TT pulled the trigger by giving up a third, I'd be nervous, but I suppose I'd be kinda excited. Kinda. But man, a 34 year old defensive end...that's a high price to pay for a guy who plays a sport in which you can lose your physical edge very, very quickly. Just look how worried we all are about Al Harris losing it very suddenly. And you'd give up a third rounder, and some of you a second, for that risk?

It's a big risk - bigger than I think some posters are willing to admit. People throw around "deals" like giving up seconds and thirds like those picks don't mean much. But those are picks that form the heart of many drafts.

So, okay, I'd give up the fourth. I'd probably not risk the third but would be willing to go along with it if it happened. I do think, as some posters have pointed out, that there are crazy people in the league, and some numbnut will give up a high third or second to get Taylor, and none of this will matter for GB. Probably a team like San Fran or Minnesota or Oakland or the Jets.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Taylor is so beloved by Dolphin fans that trading him is going to be hard for Parcells to do even if he was actively doing so.

I don't know. Dolphin fans probably wish Taylor could have a chance to win a Super Bowl as well...and he ain't getting that chance staying in Miami. Miami fans probably realize it is time to blow the team up and start from scratch. A one win season will do that to you.

Sure, losing Taylor would be a blow to the Dolphins...but what does hanging on to him really bring the team? Parcells doesn't give a crap about how the Dolphins fans or media think either...so the notion that he'll be wary of a media frenzy is ridiculous IMO.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 08:21 AM
I do think, as some posters have pointed out, that there are crazy people in the league, and some numbnut will give up a high third or second to get Taylor, and none of this will matter for GB. Probably a team like San Fran or Minnesota or Oakland or the Jets.

I don't think anyone will give up a 2nd round pick for Taylor. Can anyone cite recent examples of guys obtained via trade for a 1st - 3rd round pick that were over 32 years of age? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I would think those instances would be very rare.

Even Moss last year only garnered a 4th round pick.

Partial
03-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Well, lieu of today's events, I am no longer interested in Jason Taylor for a second round pick or trading up in the draft. In fact, I think I'd like to trade down a bit and pick up a few more top 80 picks.

Brohm
03-04-2008, 02:43 PM
I agree. With Favre retiring (still time to change your mind!?) I don't see any tangible aged vet being brought in, and why would they want to come now. Not that the team is going to be bad, but they may want a more sure thing, and along with how TT works in FA, I don't think he goes for it with a big signing until he knows (really knows) what he has in Rodgers.

The Leaper
03-04-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't think he goes for it with a big signing until he knows (really knows) what he has in Rodgers.

Then TT will NEVER go for it...because you aren't going to get any better QB under center than Brett Favre.

Brando19
04-19-2008, 08:28 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/19/report-taylor-wants-out-of-miami/

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, citing multiple unnamed sources, reports that Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor has told the team that he would like to be traded.

The request has been made, as Cole characterizes it, “politely” — without any threats or demands. And Cole believes that, if the Dolphins don’t trade Taylor, Taylor might indeed retire.

The rumor mill has linked Taylor to the Jaguars. Cole throws out possibilities like the Browns, Packers, Eagles, Patriots, Cowboys, and Steelers. (The Vikings are another team with an obvious need, if they can’t get Jared Allen from the Chiefs.)

We also think that Taylor will prefer to play for a team located in a big market (like the Giants, Jets, or Redskins) or that carries a high national profile (like the Patriots or Cowboys).

The Dolphins denied comment for Cole’s story. Previously, the team refuted a report from Cole that a trade would occur, with V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells calling the item “journalistic irresponsibility.”

But we’re siding with Cole on this report, and his prior one. We’ve heard some of the same rumblings, and believe that Taylor is committed to trying to get to a new team without being viewed as a villain in Miami.

After all, if/when he becomes a movie star, he’ll want Dolphins fans to buy tickets. That’s far more likely to happen if the perception is that he didn’t try to abandon the team when it arguably needed his skills the most.

Even if, you know, he is.

woodbuck27
04-19-2008, 08:53 AM
He is not worth a first day pick. If you can get him for a fourth or something, maybe.

Well if we would give up a third, for a 26 year old CB Lito Sheppard? Would we trade a pick higher than a third for a 36 year old with his eyes in the limelight?

I vote 'no'.

Yes. The move fron Miami to Green Bay may be a wee bit of a shock for Jason Taylor.

Is he (Jason Taylor) still a player? Oh yes. I'd rather see, if TT will even go there. A trade of that third for a positional player we all know we need. A CB. Lito Sheppard.

That move also gives TT more flexibility next Saturday. Why does this stuff seem so easy to see from my seat? What am I missing? Is it the political factor?

ie Our relationship with the Eagles. Philly has always dealt with the Packers in the recent past. I still hope TT is talking to the Eagles Re: an acquisition of CB Lito Sheppard from Philadelphia.

That's our TOP FA not Jason Taylor.

Packers Forever!

Brando19
04-19-2008, 09:13 AM

Well if we would give up a third, for a 26 year old CB Lito Sheppard? Would we trade a pick higher than a third for a 36 year old with his eyes in the limelight?

I vote 'no'.

Yes. The move fron Miami to Green Bay may be a wee bit of a shock for Jason Taylor.

Is he (Jason Taylor) still a player? Oh yes. I'd rather see, if TT will even go there. A trade of that third for a positional player we all know we need. A CB. Lito Sheppard.

That move also gives TT more flexibility next Saturday. Why does this stuff seem so easy to see from my seat? What am I missing? Is it the political factor?

ie Our relationship with the Eagles. Philly has always dealt with the Packers in the recent past. I still hope TT is talking to the Eagles Re: an acquisition of CB Lito Sheppard from Philadelphia.

That's our TOP FA not Jason Taylor.

Packers Forever!

Lito Sheppard? The guy has injury written all over him. He's played in 14 games in the last 3 years. Plus, the Eagles have already said they won't accept anything under a 1st round pick, so what makes you think the Eagles would take a 3rd? I think a 2nd is more realistic, but they can keep Sheppard.