PDA

View Full Version : Here they come... Favre to Moss articles...

packers11
03-01-2008, 12:45 PM
just like someone posted about ESPN stiring the controversy up... Here we go again...

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?id=09000d5d806f8d4f&template=without-video&confirm=true

Posted: 25 minutes ago
Moss willing to listen to offers; Favre nearing decision on future

By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

Free-agent deals continue rolling in, but it's two deals that haven't been completed that are creating the most intrigue.

Two days into the free-agent signing period, the New England Patriots have yet to re-sign wide receiver Randy Moss and the Green Bay Packers still have not heard from quarterback Brett Favre regarding his decision about whether to return or retire.

Now, the two storylines could connect the way Moss and Favre have hoped to in past offseasons.

Those who know Moss say he is inching closer to the point of frustration at the lack of progress he has made for a new deal with the Patriots. The longer the Patriots wait to sign him, the more they invite other teams to begin recruiting Moss.

Moss is, at the very least, now willing to take free-agent visits and listen to other offers, according to sources. The contract the Patriots have proposed is not enough for Moss to sign now. The record-setting wide receiver believes he gave New England a discount last year and is unwilling to do the same this year.

This is where it gets interesting.

Favre openly campaigned for the Packers to sign Moss last offseason. When they didn't, he spoke out against the organization.

With Favre nearing a decision on his future –- some believe he will inform Green Bay of his plans as early as this week -– the Packers could make the decision for him. If they signed Moss now, those who know Favre believe it would be a dead-lock cinch for the Packers quarterback to play another season.

As it is, some people believe Favre now is prepared to walk away from the game.

But if Favre is willing to walk away from Green Bay, and Moss is willing to walk away from New England, then this could alter the dynamics of two of the biggest storylines of Free Agency 2008.

Maybe Favre and Moss could wind up walking into the 2008 season together.

Brando19
03-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Are they suggesting the Packers sign Moss or do they believe Favre and Moss both leave their teams to play together on another?

Lurker64
03-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Are they suggesting the Packers sign Moss or do they believe Favre and Moss both leave their teams to play together on another?

Probably the first, since the second makes no sense. Assume Brett Favre wants to play football this season, why would he want to play anywhere other than here? He'd be coming back to an upper tier team that has a lot of talent and is in a good position to compete next year, and moreover he'd be coming back to a place where he knows everybody and is absolutely worshipped by a good portion of the fans. Moreover, any other team where he'd be likely to compete as well as he would here already has their QB situation worked out.

So while Favre might have a better chance winning a Superbowl in New England than Green Bay next year, New England already has a QB.

Anyway, what halfway decent team would have the ability to pick up the salaries that Favre and Moss would command on the FA market?

DannoMac21
03-01-2008, 01:30 PM
I must say, I'd welcome Moss with open arms.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-01-2008, 01:32 PM
This made sense last year, but not this year. Last year Moss could only get a one year deal and he had to prove he was still among the best in the league. Well, he did that and he's now looking to cash in. Why would he sign a long term deal with us when it’s clearly Favre he wants to play with and Favre is not going to be here long term? Also, does anyone really see TT giving Moss close to 10 mil a year for about 5 years? I sure as hell don't.

To me this made sense last year and that’s why I said that I wanted him, but this year it just is doesn't seem probable or make much sense for it to happen.

Packgator
03-01-2008, 02:21 PM
[quote=Brando19]Assume Brett Favre wants to play football this season, why would he want to play anywhere other than here?

He wouldn't. He has said so.......many times.

Brando19
03-01-2008, 02:27 PM
I must say....although there's not a huge need for a WR because we have Driver, Jennings, Jones, Robinson, and Martin...I'd LOVE to see Moss sign a 2 year deal with the Packers. We could put K-Rob as a return man only and have Driver, Moss, Jennings, Jones, and Martin as our 5 wideouts.
It'll probably never happen...but it would bring Favre back and possibly an undefeated season to Titletown.

Scott Campbell
03-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Based on the needs of our team, I've got to believe that Moss can get better money from a team desperate for a receiver. Maybe the Raiders.

:lol:

twoseven
03-01-2008, 02:46 PM
I am shocked that JAX and their 46 million dollar cap space have traded a 6th for Dropsies Williamson and overpaid for Jerry Porter with Moss out there waiting to go to another winner.

Surprised Dan Snyder hasn't signed him yet.

Surprised a whole bunch of teams haven't gone after him yet.

Soon?

GrnBay007
03-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Are there any rumors of teams interested in him? Who knows because the Pats are involved. .....the team with sneaky as their middle name. :P

KYPack
03-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I am shocked that JAX and their 46 million dollar cap space have traded a 6th for Dropsies Williamson and overpaid for Jerry Porter with Moss out there waiting to go to another winner.

Surprised Dan Snyder hasn't signed him yet.

Surprised a whole bunch of teams haven't gone after him yet.

Soon?

I know, man.

Troy Williamson and Jerry Porter are right around the two recievers I WOULDN'T sign for any money. One can't play and one won't.

JAX is a tough team, they gotta get some yards passing and they aren't help Garrard a bit.

BF4MVP
03-01-2008, 03:41 PM

Probably the first, since the second makes no sense.
I agree with you that Favre wouldn't want to play anywhere else, for the reasons you stated..But they're suggesting that Favre and Moss would both play together on a team other than the Packers..It says "If Favre is willing to walk away from Green Bay, and Moss is willing to walk away from New England....."

packers11
03-01-2008, 04:08 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d806f94b1

at the 2:00 mark they start talking about it...

packers11
03-01-2008, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't mind Moss but I doubt we get him...

My only problem is that IF ... a big IF... we do get him will Jennings be pissed off?

Remember last preseason Jennings was mad about something (playing time or lack of seeing the ball), well if Moss comes in that would move Jennings to the #3 spot... Although the "fab 5" would be upgraded a bunch, I don't think Jennings would like that idea of going back to #3...

Brando19
03-01-2008, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't mind Moss but I doubt we get him...

My only problem is that IF ... a big IF... we do get him will Jennings be pissed off?

Remember last preseason Jennings was mad about something (playing time or lack of seeing the ball), well if Moss comes in that would move Jennings to the #3 spot... Although the "fab 5" would be upgraded a bunch, I don't think Jennings would like that idea of going back to #3...

True...but if the Packers worry about pissing players off or upsetting someone over a signing...then they'll never reach the Super Bowl. Players don't run the team, they just play. I believe Jennings would welcome Moss because he can learn from him and they'd have a better shot at the Super Bowl.

MJZiggy
03-01-2008, 05:29 PM
That may be true, but usually when you start hearing/reading the stories of the Super Bowl team, those stories are ones of a cohesive locker room, teamwork, chemistry. It's rare in my memory to go to the SB when you bring in a temperamental ballhog (as opposed to a ballhawk) that pisses off the players that are already a part of the locker room.

Rastak
03-01-2008, 06:01 PM
That may be true, but usually when you start hearing/reading the stories of the Super Bowl team, those stories are ones of a cohesive locker room, teamwork, chemistry. It's rare in my memory to go to the SB when you bring in a temperamental ballhog (as opposed to a ballhawk) that pisses off the players that are already a part of the locker room.

Actually I think Moss has been well liked in every locker room he's been in. He's a good guy from everything I've heard. The problem is between him and management. He's a non-conformist and a really odd duck. It doesn't play well with the powers that be. Plus, when he decides to shut it down for whatever reason, he's done being an effective player. Most teams don't want to deal with trying to keep him in the proper frame of mind and motivated. If you do, the payoff can be substantial, but few teams have the patience.

MJZiggy
03-01-2008, 06:02 PM
You think M3 has the patience for a player who turns himself off?

gbgary
03-01-2008, 08:01 PM
You think M3 has the patience for a player who turns himself off?

You think M3 has the patience for a player who turns himself on? http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/images/smilies/sm_laughing.gif

MJZiggy
03-01-2008, 08:12 PM
What they do in the shower is their own business...:mrgreen:

Brando19
03-01-2008, 08:36 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

In early 2007, there were strong rumors making the rounds regarding the possible addition to the Green Bay Packers of receiver Randy Moss. Quarterback Brett Favre was thought to be lobbying heavily for the move, and at one point we heard that Favre was convinced that Moss would be coming to town. After Moss was traded by the Raiders to the Pats for a fourth-round pick and a half-gallon of chili, Favre was unable to conceal his displeasure.

Now, with Moss unsigned and believed to be unhappy with the terms proposed by the Patriots, Adam Schefter of NFL Network suggests that the Packers might pursue Moss as a way to persuade Favre to come back for another season.

It's an intriguing concept, but we're not sure how realistic it is. The Packers have Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones, and Koren Robinson. Then again, the Pats had a crowded house at the position a year ago when they acquired Moss, and Bill Belichick and company didn't bat an eye when the time came to pull the trigger.

Then there's the fact that Favre is a year-to-year proposition in Green Bay. After 2008, Moss could be a pricey luxury that the team can't fully utilize.

The bigger question, as we see it, is whether Moss is merely trying to scare up a big-money offer that would then be used to leverage the Pats. If he has agreed to give the Patriots a chance to match any proposals that he might receive elsewhere, why should the Packers or the Cowboys or the Eagles or anyone negotiate the contract that Moss ultimately will sign in New England?

Frankly, we think that Moss has badly misplayed this one. By creating the impression that he is committed to staying in New England, teams aren't going to be likely to make him a big-money offer during the early days of free agency. And if he ever convinces folks that he's serious about leaving, the wallets that currently are wide open will be quickly closing.

In hindsight, the best opportunity for Moss in Green Bay was a year ago. His presence likely would have been enough to propel the Pack to a Super Bowl win. And then Favre could have retired and Moss could have hit the market and other teams would have believed that he was serious about moving on.

Maybe he would have then signed an Adalius Thomas-style long-term deal with the Patriots.

Merlin
03-02-2008, 03:44 AM
Why do they even feed into this crap?

Moss won't be a Packer because Thompson won't pay for him.

Thompson "likes who we have" and has said so as recently as what? the 22nd?

cpk1994
03-02-2008, 09:29 AM
I must say, I'd welcome Moss with open arms.I'd say with the five WR we have, I wouldn't want Moss within 1,000 miles of GB.

DannoMac21
03-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I must say, I'd welcome Moss with open arms.I'd say with the five WR we have, I wouldn't want Moss within 1,000 miles of GB.

Ah yes, because Ruvell Martin, Koren Robinson, James Jones, Greg Jennings, and Donald Driver are miles better than Randy Moss.

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 04:19 PM

Ah yes, because Ruvell Martin, Koren Robinson, James Jones, Greg Jennings, and Donald Driver are miles better than Randy Moss.

No, more because they're all selfless players who come in and run the routes they're asked to run and catch the balls without counting how many they get and have a friendly little competition going to see who can get the most YAC. They work as a team--as a unit and I wouldn't want to bring in a high priced dude who thinks he's entitled to something or doesn't have to run across the middle when that's his assigned route. The guys we have don't do that stuff. They get along with each other and they get along with the coaches and management.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 04:26 PM

No, more because they're all selfless players who come in and run the routes they're asked to run and catch the balls without counting how many they get and have a friendly little competition going to see who can get the most YAC. They work as a team--as a unit and I wouldn't want to bring in a high priced dude who thinks he's entitled to something or doesn't have to run across the middle when that's his assigned route. The guys we have don't do that stuff. They get along with each other and they get along with the coaches and management.

There are selfless players with less talent at every position that get cut for players with more ability, whether it be at RB, WR, and about every other position. I can dig somebody trying to argue Moss will be a cancer or he'll cost too much, even though he didn't cause trouble last year. It's hard for me to accept the theory that we want to keep the better attitude players with far less talent just because they are selfless and we assume Randy Moss would not be and will not do what we ask for him. He went over the middle plenty of the times for the Patriots.

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Far less talent? Maybe they have less talent, but Moss is not God and he does not sweat pearls last I checked. Before last season everyone was wondering if he'd even perform and now for some reason, the Pats aren't even signing him. He should have teams swimming around him like sharks around a piece of fresh meat. I'm intrigued as to why.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Far less talent? Maybe they have less talent, but Moss is not God and he does not sweat pearls last I checked. Before last season everyone was wondering if he'd even perform and now for some reason, the Pats aren't even signing him. He should have teams swimming around him like sharks around a piece of fresh meat. I'm intrigued as to why.

Because he'll cost a lot of money and he's showed character issues in the past. And typically NE does not pay players top tier $$.

Ruvell Martin has FAR LESS talent than Randy Moss; it'd be hard for even you to argue with that. Heck, Ballhawk would even agree :lol:

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 04:36 PM
You KNOW I was referring to Driver and Jennings. So they get demoted, huh? That sends a great message to one of the best in the business. And Driver IS one of the best. And Jennings has a lot more left to give than Moss.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 05:06 PM
You KNOW I was referring to Driver and Jennings. So they get demoted, huh? That sends a great message to one of the best in the business. And Driver IS one of the best. And Jennings has a lot more left to give than Moss.

I compare him to the guy he replaces

If they are selfless like you proclaim them to be then you should also feel that they won't care if they are the #1, #2, #3 etc...WR so why would you infer about any type of message being sent ?

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Because having your boss give you a demotion is different than asking you to go across the middle or handle Winston's perfectionism.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Because having your boss give you a demotion is different than asking you to go across the middle or handle Winston's perfectionism.

All in the presentation; that IMO would be an easy one for MM with professionals like DD and Jennings who also want to win a Super Bowl.

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 05:19 PM
You said in the other thread that you don't care. So why are you arguing with me? Bored?

twoseven
03-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Because Moss hasn't agreed to meet with any other teams yet. He has been patiently sitting back giving NE a chance to meet his price, they haven't yet. When Moss is ready to meet with other teams he will.

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Last article I read said he's ready. He just has nothing scheduled.

twoseven
03-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Last article I read said he's ready. He just has nothing scheduled.Regardless, he will have plenty of suitors.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 05:28 PM
You said in the other thread that you don't care. So why are you arguing with me? Bored?

Yes, I'm bored and instead of visiting Grail Sites I'm debating with you; feel honored :?: :lol:

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 06:06 PM
:knll:

:bump: