PDA

View Full Version : Berrian almost a Viking

Brando19
03-01-2008, 02:31 PM
www.profootballtalk.com

Free agent wide receiver Bernard Berrian is in Minnesota today negotiating with the Vikings, and a contract agreement could be finished before the day is out.

Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that reporters gathered at the Vikings' press conference to introduce free agent signing Madieu Williams saw Berrian in the team's facility, and coach Brad Childress acknowledged that the team is talking to Berrian.

Vikings executive Rick Spielman wouldn't say whether Berrian is planning to make a visit to Oakland, but Zulgad writes, "it would not be surprising to get wind of a Berrian news conference later this afternoon or Sunday morning."

The Vikings are also reportedly interested in free agent wide receiver Javon Walker.

twoseven
03-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Berrian, another very fast deep threat WR to MN that has the dropsies from time to time. Sounds like a match made in heaven, or deja' vu.

Pacopete4
03-01-2008, 02:53 PM
i read somewhere he already left minny and went to oakland.. i wish i could find where i was reading that.. not that it matters, hes not better than our 1,2,3 or 4th wr's...

DannoMac21
03-01-2008, 03:06 PM
The Vikings are also reportedly interested in free agent wide receiver Javon Walker.

twoseven
03-01-2008, 03:11 PM
i read somewhere he already left minny and went to oakland.. i wish i could find where i was reading that.. not that it matters, hes not better than our 1,2,3 or 4th wr's...
Apparently not. All morning long MN's have been calling into sports talkradio to confrim he's still in MN.

Lurker64
03-01-2008, 03:50 PM

According to a rotoworld, a third of the league is interested in the services of Walker. I am proud to be a supporter of one of the teams in the majority here.

BallHawk
03-01-2008, 04:20 PM
A Fergy-Walker combo going up against the Pack? Oh, that'd be nice.

The thought of having Walker come to Green Bay once a year is a nice one. :twisted:

Charles Woodson
03-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Vikings | Berrian agrees to terms on six-year contract
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 14:25:16 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Minnesota Vikings have agreed to terms on a six-year contract with free-agent WR Bernard Berrian (Bears), according to sources. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Its official

BallHawk
03-01-2008, 04:52 PM
It's Troy Williamson III!

Lurker64
03-01-2008, 04:54 PM
He's actually less dangerous to us as a Viking than as a Bear.

gbpackfan
03-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Not a bad signing for the Vikes but damn, that is a lot of money. I do not fear Berrian. He's no Randy Moss!

Rastak
03-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Not a bad signing for the Vikes but damn, that is a lot of money. I do not fear Berrian. He's no Randy Moss!

It's definately an upgrade. I've always liked Berrian but he isn't elite. Lots of money is what it takes these days. Low contract offers most likely gets you crap players as free agency isn't as deep as it once was. A position like WR is a good buy in free agency in the sense that rookies rarely break out right out of the gate. It happens, but not alot.

Scott Campbell
03-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Who's happier about the Berrian signing - Ras or the pack fans?

Iron Mike
03-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Who's happier about the Berrian signing - Ras or the pack fans?

I'd like to hear Bearman's take on it. :P

Lurker64
03-01-2008, 06:25 PM
It's definately an upgrade.

An upgrade over Williamson? Definitely. But I'm personally of the opinion that a small car packed full of clowns or a seal that can balance a beach ball on his nose is an improvement over Williamson.

Iron Mike
03-01-2008, 06:27 PM

An upgrade over Williamson? Definitely. But I'm personally of the opinion that a small car packed full of clowns or a seal that can balance a beach ball on his nose is an improvement over Williamson.

Well played, sir. 8-)

Rastak
03-01-2008, 06:45 PM

Well played, sir. 8-)

Well played to a certain extent. It wasn't exactly chock full of analysis. An upgrade can be small and large and our intelligent friend didn't exactly provide the in depth argument you'll sometimes see on Packerrats. I guess there are several levels of posters here and I was sort of hoping one a bit higher on the logic meter would respond.
But, ya spends yer money and takes yer chance I guess.

Iron Mike
03-01-2008, 06:49 PM

Well played, sir. 8-)

Well played to a certain extent. It wasn't exactly chock full of analysis. An upgrade can be small and large and our intelligent friend didn't exactly provide the in depth argument you'll sometimes see on Packerrats. I guess there are several levels of posters here and I was sort of hoping one a bit higher on the logic meter would respond.

Oh, c'mon Ras.........would you rather read:

BEERIANS GONNA TAEK THE VIKIGNS TO THE SOOPER BOWL, PISS AND MOLD CLOWNS!!11!!!

Lurker64
03-01-2008, 06:50 PM
I think spending my valuable time doing a blow by blow analysis on Berrian isn't really worth my time to write or yours to read. Considering that both Purple fans and Packer fans have seen this guy play at least twice a year for the past three years or so. You know what you're getting, and we know what you're getting too. Berrian's decent, he's an upgrade, but he's not going to fix the Vikings passing offense. He'll get wide open less that Willamson will, but he'll catch a lot more of those passes when he gets wide open. He's not great on the intermediate stuff, so depending on how much Childress is committed to the WCO he might not be a great fit. Still, other than Moss, he was the prize WR FA. The WR FA classes as of the last few years have been pretty amazingly weak, all in all.

Berrian is probably better than the clowns or the seal, but he will make fewer Circus catches.

Rastak
03-01-2008, 06:50 PM

Well played, sir. 8-)

Oh, c'mon Ras.........would you rather read:

BEERIANS GONNA TAEK THE VIKIGNS TO THE SOOPER BOWL, PISS AND MOLD CLOWNS!!11!!!

Yea, it could have been worse....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(That was good)

Iron Mike
03-01-2008, 06:52 PM
I have to admit, I'm kind of surprised the Vikes didn't sign Bubba to block for AD.

Rastak
03-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I think spending my valuable time doing a blow by blow analysis on Berrian isn't really worth my time to write or yours to read. Considering that both Purple fans and Packer fans have seen this guy play at least twice a year for the past three years or so. You know what you're getting, and we know what you're getting too. Berrian's decent, he's an upgrade, but he's not going to fix the Vikings passing offense. He'll get wide open less that Willamson will, but he'll catch a lot more of those passes when he gets wide open. He's not great on the intermediate stuff, so depending on how much Childress is committed to the WCO he might not be a great fit. Still, other than Moss, he was the prize WR FA. The WR FA classes as of the last few years have been pretty amazingly weak, all in all.

Berrian is probably better than the clowns or the seal, but he will make fewer Circus catches.

Yea, that was more what I was looking for.

I think the fact that at some different points during the season teams actually had 9 guys defending the run against Minnesota, anyone who is somewhat decent at getting deep will help. I honestly came within an inch of having a stroke from sheer anger when that dumbass Williamson dropped a sure touchdown for the 4th or 5th time in his career in the Vikings last game. I realize Berrian isn't Jerry Rice when it comes to catching the ball but I've seen him do it enough where I think it will help the Vikings offense. The real issue is Jackson and his very erratic deep game. He's laid a few in there but he's far too often throwing the ball out of bounds deep. I wish they'd use the center of the field more, with a player like Berrian.

jmbarnes101
03-01-2008, 07:16 PM
As reported by ProFootballTalk.com

__________________________________________________ ____________________
POSTED 7:55 p.m. EST, March 1, 2008

BERRIAN BREAKS THE BANK

Receiver Bernard Berrian has officially joined the Vikings. And he will be extremely well compensated for it.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, it's a six-year, $42 million contract, with $16 million guaranteed.

For Bernard Berrian.

Let's be clear on this. Berrian's best season came in 2007, with 71 receptions for 951 yards and five touchdowns.

And he gets $16 million guaranteed?

Randy Moss, in contrast, had 98 catches for 1,453 yards and 23 touchdowns. So if Berrian is worth $16 million in guaranteed money, how much should Moss get? Should he get $20 million? Maybe $25 million?

Dare we say . . . $30 million?

And though we realize that Berrian has been stuck in a vertically-challenged offense, would Berrian have had the impact on the Pats that Moss did?

Hey, it's a good deal for Berrian. But it really throws a wrench in the plans of the Pats, or anyone else who has designs on landing Moss.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

That's a lot of money for a good but not great WR. I thought the Raiders signed him for a minute after seeing that. Other than Moss and Stallworth last year and a handful throughout free agency, usually WR's going to a new team as a free agent are never as good their first year there. It's almost like they become rookies all over again.

BallHawk
03-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Six year, 42 million, 16 of that guaranteed?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! :shock:

Man, that's a lot considering they've got Fergy, who, as we all know, is primed for a breakout year. He's due.

Rastak
03-01-2008, 07:25 PM

Man, that's a lot considering they've got Fergy, who, as we all know, is primed for a breakout year. He's due.

He's an UFA......so maybe they'll lose the great Fergy. I'm still not sure how Green Bay let him get away after drafting him and keeping him so long.

BallHawk
03-01-2008, 07:29 PM

He's an UFA......so maybe they'll lose the great Fergy. I'm still not sure how Green Bay let him get away after drafting him and keeping him so long.

You know, Fergy's 2003 performance wasn't half bad, 520 yards, 4 TDs.

Quick, sign him for 3 years, 18 million!

Do it or else the Browns will snatch him up! :shock:

jramsey495
03-01-2008, 07:46 PM
that money's insane. does anyone know how much driver makes? bernard berrian... wow.

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm not going to rip the signing--even though I think it could be a bad signing. Fans of opposing teams do this when a rival signs a guy. However, there are two philosophies working here. Would you rather have Ted Thompson announce tomorrow that Greg Jennings had been signed to a 6y/$42M extension or announce that the Packers had acquired Bernard Berrian to that kind of money? That's sort of what it boils down. The good GMs find great talent, and then they keep most of the talent they truly want to keep. Indianapolis has kept guys like Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Tarik Glenn, Sanders, Freeney, Mathis, Lilja, etc. with high salaries. They let other guys go that were replaceable (Edge James when they had Joseph Addai waiting in the wings). Ideally, if your GM is good at finding talent, this works. This strategy doesn't work if the GM doesn't do a good job finding talent. Then, you are desperate and have to make moves like this.

RashanGary
03-01-2008, 08:06 PM
I acctually feel bad for some of our guys. About the only guy we have who we think is overpaid is KGB and compared to some of this shit that has gone on, I almost think we're getting a bargain there for one more year.

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2008, 08:13 PM
I also think it does help chemistry if players on a team know that, for the most part, the team they are playing on will reward THEM for doing well. Having extra cap space is a good thing.

Rastak
03-01-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm not going to rip the signing--even though I think it could be a bad signing. Fans of opposing teams do this when a rival signs a guy. However, there are two philosophies working here. Would you rather have Ted Thompson announce tomorrow that Greg Jennings had been signed to a 6y/$42M extension or announce that the Packers had acquired Bernard Berrian to that kind of money? That's sort of what it boils down. The good GMs find great talent, and then they keep most of the talent they truly want to keep. Indianapolis has kept guys like Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Tarik Glenn, Sanders, Freeney, Mathis, Lilja, etc. with high salaries. They let other guys go that were replaceable (Edge James when they had Joseph Addai waiting in the wings). Ideally, if your GM is good at finding talent, this works. This strategy doesn't work if the GM doesn't do a good job finding talent. Then, you are desperate and have to make moves like this.

Yea, I agree to a point. Draft well and you have TT's issue of who to resign. Draft poorly or inherit crap and you have to react. Signing the best guy you can when you can certainly afford him seems to make sense to me. These guys take a while to develop when you draft them. James Jones looked really good in my opnion but he has room to improve, he has upside. Other than Sidney Rice, they had very average talent and crap. Crap got traded so why not get something decent to replace crap? It makes sense to me. Unless I hear that it was structured like Fitzgeralds contract I'm fine with it.

edited cause I can't spell......DRAT!

RashanGary
03-01-2008, 08:37 PM
We just resigned Nick Barnett for 6 years, 36 million. That's not even close to market value. Look what these guys are getting!!

You have to remember, when you resign your own early, you get a discount. They want security and that instant 10 million dollar hit to their bank account. The team ends up getting a really good player for about 65% of what he would have gotten on the UFA market.

It's more than just spending it because you have it. Your goal is to win the Superbowl, right? In order to win, your talent has to be performing at a higher level than everyone elses. If your guys are performing higher than everyone elses but the cap is the same, that means they are underpaid.

Bottom line, you'll never be able to fit SB levels of talent under the cap if you make too many high priced mistakes.

Lurker64
03-01-2008, 09:11 PM
You wonder who the Bears are going to throw the ball to this year? It's not like they had much in the way of WRs last season, and Berrian was far and away the best of the bunch. The FA WR tree is already pretty well plucked this early in the game (only Moss really remains and Chicago can't pay him enough), and 1st year WRs rarely deliver much.

So right now we're looking at a Bears team that doesn't have a QB, doesn't have a RB, and doesn't have WRs. Hopefully we won't lose to them twice next year.

BallHawk
03-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Shocking, yet hilarious stat.

The 4 WRs currently on the Bears roster had 1 TD combined last season.

I doubt we'll see much of Bearman this upcoming season.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-01-2008, 10:11 PM
kinda makes the 20 million for Fitzgerald seem reasonable. The cards know what they are doing. :oops:

Patler
03-01-2008, 10:41 PM
We just resigned Nick Barnett for 6 years, 36 million. That's not even close to market value. Look what these guys are getting!!

A list that was published of all franchise tag values by position showed the five player salaries used in determining the amount. For the 2008 tag on linebackers, Barnett's 2007 salary was the fifth highest.

Seems to have been imminently fair when signed.

Fritz
03-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Sorry Rastak, but your team's management is whacked.

The salary scale there is now effed up. This doesn't bode well for the Queens, in my humble opinion.

Cheesehead Craig
03-03-2008, 01:39 PM
If nothing else, the Vikes are trying to improve in FA where they can. Can't fault a team for doing that.

Fritz
03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Sure you can, if it's a move that's going to cost more than what it's worth - which is the case here.

Zool
03-03-2008, 02:21 PM
This is a good signing IMO. Way too much money, but the one the that Stone Head Jackson does well is throw a deep ball. BB can actually catch unlike the #7 overall pick in the 2005 draft.

Speaking of ole stump hands, does Jax now have the worst hands team in the league?

HarveyWallbangers
03-03-2008, 02:27 PM
This is a good signing IMO. Way too much money, but the one the that Stone Head Jackson does well is throw a deep ball. BB can actually catch unlike the #7 overall pick in the 2005 draft.

Speaking of ole stump hands, does Jax now have the worst hands team in the league?

Actually, Jackson throws a nice slant and has a good arm from about 20 yards or less. He's inaccurate on his deep balls--a couple of balls that bounced off Williamson's hands notwithstanding.

Zool
03-03-2008, 02:28 PM

Actually, Jackson throws a nice slant and has a good arm from about 20 yards or less. He's inaccurate on his deep balls--a couple of balls that bounced off Williamson's hands notwithstanding.

I seem to recall the sails those slants quite often. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.