PDA

View Full Version : Packers never got close to signing Williams

Partial
03-01-2008, 03:21 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/03/01/packers-never-got-close-to-signing-williams.aspx

He was offered a "Pickett and Jenkins" value contract.

Partial
03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Wow, 23 mil in the first three years. That's some serious cash. He would have been the highest paid player on our defense!!

BF4MVP
03-01-2008, 03:43 PM
A Pickett and Jenkins deal is all he's worth, in my opinion..If he wanted more I'm glad we got rid of him and got a first day pick in the process.

Lurker64
03-01-2008, 03:48 PM
A Pickett and Jenkins deal is all he's worth, in my opinion..If he wanted more I'm glad we got rid of him and got a first day pick in the process.

I agree 100%. I have to give Thompson credit for playing this well. It's clear that Williams should not be the highest paid player on our defense, and if he wasn't going to sign a longterm deal otherwise, we basically got a first day pick for the cost of the use of the franchise tag (in other words, for nothing.)

Partial
03-01-2008, 03:58 PM
I bet he does well for himself in Cleveland, though. He was born to play 3-4 DE imo.

Lurker64
03-01-2008, 04:05 PM
I bet he does well for himself in Cleveland, though. He was born to play 3-4 DE imo.

He's definitely worth more to them than he is to us.

Guiness
03-01-2008, 04:12 PM
1st day pick for nothing is right...because as soon as he signs with Cleveland, we get our tag back!

As far as the money he wanted though, you can't put too much stock in that. As the cap goes up, these sort of inequities creep in. How much will the DT tender go up to next year, with Williams and Oakland's signing? You can't compare the money Picket got 2 yrs ago to what Williams got this year - and I think the players don't either, for the most part. Picket signed a good contract for that time.