PDA

View Full Version : Williams says he wanted out of Green Bay

Brando19
03-01-2008, 03:51 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/03/01/williams-i-wanted-out-of-green-bay.aspx

What a loser. He's a two face fat ass.

packers11
03-01-2008, 03:54 PM
sorry c.williams the packers weren't going to make you the highest paid player on our defense because you are not the BEST PLAYER on the defense...

Partial
03-01-2008, 03:56 PM
It's just propraganda for his new team. He would have resigned if given the same contract. He was probably not happy about getting the franchise put on him. He probably wasn't happy after that, but before that I think he enjoyed it here.

Green Bay is a good place to play because you're worshipped as a player. I am sure if given equal dollars he'd much rather be here. Than again, he might not have been happy about TT bringing in Harrell.

RashanGary
03-01-2008, 08:46 PM
I misspoke.

Corey Williams is VERY disappointed. The UFA market is a joke in what players get paid. Williams would have gotten far more.

Did he tell you that personally or how do you know this?

It's just propraganda for his new team. He would have resigned if given the same contract. He was probably not happy about getting the franchise put on him. He probably wasn't happy after that, but before that I think he enjoyed it here.

How do you know this? Did he tell you personally?

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2008, 09:44 PM
JSO has a note about how Ron Wolf put the Packers over the top in the 1995 draft with the selection of Craig Newsome, Brian Williams, and Antonio Freeman with 3 of the top 60 picks. Those were good picks.

Thompson had 3 of the top 58 picks in 2005 and selected Aaron Rodgers, Nick Collins, and Terrence Murphy. Hard to judge. Rodgers hasn't played. Collins has been decent for a 2nd round pick. Murphy looked like he was going to be good, but then got injured.

Thompson had 3 of the top 37 picks in 2006 and turned them into A.J. Hawk, Daryn Colledge, Greg Jennings, Jason Spitz, Will Blackmon, and Johnny Jolly. That turned out to be pretty damn good.

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Signing Williams to a long-term deal would have made it harder for the Packers to re-sign ends Aaron Kampman and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Pickett and Jolly, all of whom have contracts that expire after the 2009 season.

"We were in position and felt comfortable in tendering Corey the franchise number," Thompson said. "We were less comfortable given our structure about a longer-term deal."

RashanGary
03-01-2008, 09:59 PM
I think Ted is just trying to say something without saying he didn't think Williams was worth what he wanted.

Partial
03-01-2008, 11:38 PM
I misspoke.

Corey Williams is VERY disappointed. The UFA market is a joke in what players get paid. Williams would have gotten far more.

Did he tell you that personally or how do you know this?

How do you know this? Did he tell you personally?

No, but he has been quoted many times saying he loved GB. You don't go to a new team and say you wish you were still a Packer.

Kiwon
03-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Almost predictable these days for guys to rag on their old teams whether they mean it or not. Even if someone's got something negative to say that he feels is legitimate the smarter move is to keep it to himself.

The way that coaches and executives move around in the NFL the person you may offend might show up again in your future.

Don't burn bridges ....until after retirement.

Merlin
03-02-2008, 03:40 AM
I think people read too much into it. A good coach doesn't talk to his players about why they brought someone else in. If Williams expected that then he never really understood what competition was all about. Besides we all know he will end up in Denver in a few years because Denver likes Cleveland DL personel as they grab one seemingly every other year from there.

twoseven
03-02-2008, 05:51 AM
'I enjoyed my time in GB, but it was time for me to move on, I can't wait to help CLE get to the next level.' That is the easiest thing in the world to say to your new team, and it doesn't burn bridges, doesn't insult the previous employer, and doesn't make the player look like a money loving malcontent..cough..Javon Walker. That he didn't get grossly overpaid by us and was temporarily not allowed to be overpaid by another is hardly grounds for getting pissed off and then speaking ill of GB.

CW is obviously not the brightest bulb on the tree. If he and his agent couldn't see the franchise tag coming, or understand that you don't need to trash on your old employer (which is exactly what he did in his speech), then we are good to be rid of him. There are all kinds of things a player can say to his new team to praise his new club without speakng poorly of his old team. CW did not handle it this way.

Scott Campbell
03-02-2008, 07:28 AM
It's one article. Trades are tough on players. I won't let this change my perception of the guy unless he continues to rag on GB for a while.

Fritz
03-02-2008, 07:52 AM
I'm just not feeling the love any more, CW.

Actually, TT's comments about a big, long term contract for Williams not really fitting in with his structure for the long term makes a lot of sense. If he has to look at Aaron Kampman's agent, or perhaps Jolly's agent, in a couple of years and know they're looking right at Williams's big fat contract, TT's going to run into sal cap problems.

TT is always peeking ahead. Good move.

Patler
03-02-2008, 08:24 AM
I can't really blame Williams for feeling as he does. His remark was very mild, and he tactfully refused to elaborate. From his perspective:

He worked his tail off, coming from a low draft spot to be a starter in 2006.
Then, a DT was drafted, who hadn't played much as a senior, and was listed as the starter immediately after the draft.
CW commented at the time that it wasn't right to list Harrell the starter without earning it.
The Packers apparently didn't come close to offering what he correctly realized he could get elsewhere.
The Packers seemingly blocked him from realizing that financial windfall.

Put in his position, I could easily feel a little resentment.
We forget the players are athletes, not trained PR spokesmen for them selves. Their emotions can cause them to say things they wouldn't if they thought about it a little more. He did not openly trash the organization, the town or individuals like Longwell, Sharper and Walker did. It was not a comment made after a period of reflection on the events. For him it was the end of a whirlwind couple days of negotiations and life changing events. He simply said he wanted to get out, which I suspect has been true the last few weeks when he realized he would not get the contract others would give him. It looked as if the Packers did not value him highly, yet blocked his ability to go somewhere that did.

falco
03-02-2008, 08:33 AM
I can't really blame Williams for feeling as he does. His remark was very mild, and he tactfully refused to elaborate. From his perspective:

Then, a DT was drafted, who hadn't played much as a senior, and was listed as the starter immediately after the draft.
CW commented at the time that it wasn't right to list Harrell the starter without earning it.
The Packers apparently didn't come close to offering what he correctly realized he could get elsewhere.

We forget the players are athletes, not trained PR spokesmen for them selves. Their emotions can cause them to say things they wouldn't if they thought about it a little more. He did not openly trash the organization, the town or individuals like Longwell, Sharper and Walker did. It was not a comment made after a period of reflection on the events. For him it was the end of a whirlwind couple days of negotiations and life changing events. He simply said he wanted to get out, which I suspect has been true the last few weeks when he realized he would not get the contract others would give him. It looked as if the Packers did not value him highly, yet blocked his ability to go somewhere that did.

well said Patler.

RashanGary
03-02-2008, 08:39 AM
That's a pretty good summary Patler. From my understanding, we play a 4-3, but it's a little different than a typical 4-3. We like our ends up wide to get better angles at the QB and then have our DT's both be space eaters (similar to Pickett, Jolly and Harrell if he becomes the guy he was at Tennessee).

Williams really struggled holding position in the run game. He got regularly washed out and run on (not that Harrell didn't, but Harrell was a rookie who was set back in his development. He has more of an excuse than CW).

In some one gap schemes I think he would have been more effective becuase so much wouldn't have been asked, but our defense asks a lot out of our DT's, CB's and DE's.

RashanGary
03-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Thompson gave a little hint as to what he thought of C-dub at the combine. He said they like their group as a whole more than if they broke it apart and anylized it seperately. He said he liked how they rotated in and out. . . . I think Thompson was saying that Williams is more of a pass rusher. They like him. They wanted to keep him in the rotation, but they don't value him as a top all around DT because he's not complete.

Meanwhile, many teams saw C-dub as a starter and wanted to pay him as such. The Packers did the right thing to tag him and maximize his value but to Williams, this was his life. It's not personal, but it's hard not to take it that way when a team takes away your opportunity to make mega dollars and has no intention of giving you close to what you're worth on the open market.

cpk1994
03-02-2008, 09:27 AM
I think Ted is just trying to say something without saying he didn't think Williams was worth what he wanted.And Williams is just pandering to the fanbase of his new team.

GBRulz
03-02-2008, 10:34 AM
He didn't say that Applebee's was the classiest restaurant in GB.....he's still ok in my book :lol:

Scott Campbell
03-02-2008, 10:55 AM
So there you have it. Good luck to you Corey Williams, and may time put your entire Packer experience into the proper prospective.

KYPack
03-02-2008, 10:56 AM
He didn't say that Applebee's was the classiest restaurant in GB.....he's still ok in my book :lol:

I knew that was comin'.

(I wonder what Applebee's thought of Longwell's comment?)

Freak Out
03-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Sure he was pissed about getting the tag...it's a business. He should be smart enough to know that and he should be smart enough to keep his mouth shut as well. He got what he wanted in the end, a chance to start and make some big money. Shit like that just makes you sound like an idiot.

Patler
03-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Williams said:

"I wanted out of Green Bay and I'm glad Cleveland called me," Williams said during a news conference in Cleveland. "I feel like I am wanted here. It feels like home to me, and I've only been here one day. I already feel like I got the love that I have been looking for. I'm happy and excited about it."

Asked why he sought a ticket out of Green Bay, Williams said, "There's a bunch of different reasons and I don't care to talk about it right now. I just wanted out."

Thompson said:

"We were in position and felt comfortable in tendering Corey the franchise number," Thompson said. "We were less comfortable given our structure about a longer-term deal."

Did Williams really say anything worse than Thompson did? Williams said he didn't want to stay in Green Bay, and that he didn't feel "love" in GB. Thompson effectively said he didn't want to keep him. Big deal!

PackerBlues
03-03-2008, 03:37 PM

Great post Patler. I had not seen anyone else mention this, perhaps because it is so obvious, but by putting the franchise tag on Williams, GB didn't just take away Williams' chance at a monsterous payday, but they also took away his choice of where he would go.

I am happy for how things turned out for the Packers, but Williams did kind of get screwed on this deal. It may turn out to be a great situation for him in Cleveland, but I would not blame him for being upset with how he ended up there. :|

The Leaper
03-03-2008, 03:41 PM
I am happy for how things turned out for the Packers, but Williams did kind of get screwed on this deal. It may turn out to be a great situation for him in Cleveland, but I would not blame him for being upset with how he ended up there.

Still no reason to bash your former team.

Business is business...Green Bay did what they had to in order to maximize the value they got for him, and it was all within the rules. It should not have been unexpected or surprising to CW that events turned out as they did.

Bottom line is he still got paid, and Green Bay got a fair value for him. Seems like a win-win to me.

Scott Campbell
03-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Still no reason to bash your former team.

Business is business...Green Bay did what they had to in order to maximize the value they got for him, and it was all within the rules.

It's not against the rules to bash your former team - is it?

The Leaper
03-03-2008, 04:42 PM
It's not against the rules to bash your former team - is it?

No, but it isn't necessarily a good career move either...see Javon Walker.

MadtownPacker
03-03-2008, 06:41 PM
The fatass didn't talk too harshly but as mentioned he personally would have looked like a classy person for just taking it in stride and being happy that in the end he got what he wanted.

Hope he has plenty of help on the Browns DL because based on how he wore down in 2007 he is gonna need it.

KYPack
03-03-2008, 08:26 PM
The fatass didn't talk too harshly but as mentioned he personally would have looked like a classy person for just taking it in stride and being happy that in the end he got what he wanted.

Hope he has plenty of help on the Browns DL because based on how he wore down in 2007 he is gonna need it.

They just signed Shaun Rogers. Another fat man not known for his stamina.

Should be interesting.

Harlan Huckleby
03-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Williams isn't fat.

http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/11/22/1195783134_6974/300h.jpghttp://images.packers.com/images/action/041019williams_c_a.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
03-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Shaun Rogers is a big boy.

http://www.nextgenprofootball.net/images/fatty.jpghttp://bp3.blogger.com/_6mLvg0kXnPs/Rm3luoYW8SI/AAAAAAAAFbM/YbBn1u6o_Z0/s320/shaun+rogers.jpg

MadtownPacker
03-04-2008, 02:18 AM
Im guessing you are somewhere between Williams and Rogers. Does that make you fat?