PDA

View Full Version : What did you cook/have for dinner?

Freak Out
03-01-2008, 08:38 PM
On this Saturday night?
I walked to the market and got a big hunk of fresh Ahi tuna and am cooking in crusted in peppers with a wasabi/aioli sauce to dip/garnish with. Some sticky rice...yum.

MJZiggy
03-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Showoff. I had packaged spinach tortellini tossed with olive oil, herbs and Parmesan cheese. But I bought a slow cooker today. Now I just have to figure out how to use it...

SkinBasket
03-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Pizzaghetti from Sam's club.

It's like pizza, but with spaghetti in it. Clever.

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Cereal and a banana. The wife and kid (and Grandma) went shopping. I'm not a cook.
:D

BallHawk
03-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Ummm, Bagel Bites and French Fries.

GrnBay007
03-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Left over crab from last night.

Left over crab is not very good.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Quick jaunt down to Sweet Tomatoes...where tyrone ate his weight in salad.

Harlan Huckleby
03-01-2008, 10:08 PM
On this Saturday night?
I walked to the market and got a big hunk of fresh Ahi tuna and am cooking in crusted in peppers with a wasabi/aioli sauce to dip/garnish with. Some sticky rice...yum.

well, aren't you special.

I got a take-out sandwich at a deli.

Bretsky
03-01-2008, 10:31 PM
We were out shopping tonight for the new Boy's room....paint...other goodies.

Got done at about 7:30 and we took our two daughers to their favorite restaurant in Janesville. The four year old calls it "Shagy's" but the name of it is Shakeys. It's a Pizza Place that has a good all around buffet with lots of kids grub and is cost effective as well.

Upon pulling in all lights were off and there was a "For Sale" sign in the parking lot. There was a sheet in the window and both girls wanted to get out and see what it said. I read it outloud and the place recently closed it's doors.

Both girls cried in frustration, and we had a sub par meal at Ponderosa :(

Patler
03-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Shrimp scampi, homemade not frozen.

Freak Out
03-01-2008, 10:56 PM

Got done at about 7:30 and we took our two daughers to their favorite restaurant in Janesville. The four year old calls it "Shagy's" but the name of it is Shakeys. It's a Pizza Place that has a good all around buffet with lots of kids grub and is cost effective as well.

Upon pulling in all lights were off and there was a "For Sale" sign in the parking lot. There was a sheet in the window and both girls wanted to get out and see what it said. I read it outloud and the place recently closed it's doors.

Your Shakeys made it about 15 years longer than mine did. Damn...I'm surprised there were any left around. Fond memories for me though.

Painting the room green and gold?

Freak Out
03-01-2008, 11:01 PM
I love this kind of tuna.....heavy metals be damned! You really don't cook it....just kind of sear the outside. Raw is fantastic as well. A friend used to hand line this stuff in Hawaii in the winter and that's how I got hooked on in. I have been eating a load of salmon out of the freezer but am getting tired of it so I had to take a break.
Anyone have a good recipe for a beef stew made with red wine? A good heart one? Thats what I want to do tomorrow with some of OPFs Oregon country beef.

Freak Out
03-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Pizzaghetti from Sam's club.

It's like pizza, but with spaghetti in it. Clever.

Sounds freaky.

Bretsky
03-01-2008, 11:02 PM

Your Shakeys made it about 15 years longer than mine did. Damn...I'm surprised there were any left around. Fond memories for me though.

Painting the room green and gold?

We have a football basketball baseball theme in the room so it's muti colors

There is still a one in Green Bay I think; about the only one left

My daughters want me to buy Shakey's and open it back up

Partial
03-01-2008, 11:44 PM

There is a shakey's right by my house if you're in the area.

Partial
03-01-2008, 11:46 PM
As for me, I made it to Bayshore mall and went to the California Pizza Kitchen. I got the Mango something pizza and a cheapo bottle of red wine. It was ok.

the_idle_threat
03-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Bought some Boboli pizza crusts (trying the whole wheat kind for the first time) and made some pizzas. Went overboard with the toppings, as usual. :D

Tyrone Bigguns
As for me, I made it to Bayshore mall and went to the California Pizza Kitchen. I got the Mango something pizza and a cheapo bottle of red wine. It was ok.

I remember that mall before it went ghetto.

the_idle_threat

You should see it now. Totally redone.

Partial
03-01-2008, 11:56 PM

Yeah dude, its super fricking nice now. It was loaded with fancy cars and upper class white folk. It sounds right up your alley. I was very surprised at the lack of thugs. I wouldn't mind living in the apartments at the mall. They've got some cool places around there.

Jimx29
03-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Brats on the grill during and after the ice races

BallHawk
03-02-2008, 12:08 AM

Yeah dude, its super fricking nice now. It was loaded with fancy cars and upper class white folk. It sounds right up your alley. I was very surprised at the lack of thugs. I wouldn't mind living in the apartments at the mall. They've got some cool places around there.

Yeah, I've also heard it's nice. When I grew up there it was just another mall, only good thing there was the EB Games.

Just looked at the site and damn that place looks nice. Looks like it's trying to cater to all the WFB soccer moms.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-02-2008, 12:51 AM

Yeah, I've also heard it's nice. When I grew up there it was just another mall, only good thing there was the EB Games.

Just looked at the site and damn that place looks nice. Looks like it's trying to cater to all the WFB soccer moms.

Well, it has come full cirlce. First, it was a decent little mall, then it was ghetto..now it is nice again. I guess they really did hold the line at SS.

Ball, what you talking about? You couldn't go wrong with an orange julius. Or a greasy slice at rocky rococcos. LOL

Here is a real question...you ever drink at rhinos/doc hollidays?

BallHawk
03-02-2008, 12:59 AM
If my drink you mean consume alcohol, no. Don't think they serve drinks to 8-year olds. :D

BallHawk
03-02-2008, 01:00 AM
And Rocky Rococos was amazing.

CyclonePackFan
03-02-2008, 03:33 AM
Put down my second (dinner) and third (drunk food) burritos from Flying Burrito here in Ames.

I still miss Freebirds. Everything IS bigger in Texas.

GBRulz
03-02-2008, 10:24 AM

I never knew it not being ghetto, up until they remodeled it recently. It's alot of different colored buildings now. Very trendy.

BTW Tyrone, send a Sweet Tomatoes to WI, will ya? I freaken love that place. Biggest salad bar ever!

Anyhow...yesterday I bummed around St. Cloud for the day and ate lunch there. On my way back to my hotel (hour and 15 away) I stopped at Caribou Coffee and had a caramel high rise for dinner.

LL2
03-02-2008, 05:53 PM

I had that for a late lunch today and I'm still full. I love all the different kinds of soup. I usually have 2-3 bowls of soup.

Last night I had an enchilada bake...yummy!

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 06:00 PM
There's this place in town here that makes sandwiches out of savory waffles. I had that for lunch with a bowl of wild mushroom soup. For supper I had a bowl of Lucky Charms and it's quite possible that will be enough.

Oh and I do have a beef stew recipe that calls for white wine and a pot roast that calls for red, but they're both slow cooker recipes...

oregonpackfan
03-02-2008, 06:34 PM
I had my wife's homemade chicken soup last night. For the past 3 days I have had the worst cold/flu of my life with congested lungs and sinuses along with fever and achy joints! :(

packinpatland
03-02-2008, 07:21 PM
You've got a good woman there OPF........chickent soup = love.

Hope you're feeling better.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-02-2008, 08:39 PM

I never knew it not being ghetto, up until they remodeled it recently. It's alot of different colored buildings now. Very trendy.

BTW Tyrone, send a Sweet Tomatoes to WI, will ya? I freaken love that place. Biggest salad bar ever!

Anyhow...yesterday I bummed around St. Cloud for the day and ate lunch there. On my way back to my hotel (hour and 15 away) I stopped at Caribou Coffee and had a caramel high rise for dinner.

Bayshore went ghetto in the mid 90s. Now, i wouldn't say it was like THE GHETTO, but it certainly changed from the place where the north shore shopped and felt isolated from common thugs like tyrone. Pretty much everyone abandoned bayshore and northridge for shops in mequon.

Tyrone remembers when Bayshore wasn't even an indoor mall. Tyrone and his gang of ruffians terrorized that mall back in the day. That and heading down to winkies!!!

Sweet Tomatoes refuses to go into wisco. Wisconsites can't understand the lack of meat on the buffet and would quickly leave after being told it was 12 bucks for rabbit food. :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
03-02-2008, 08:40 PM

I had that for a late lunch today and I'm still full. I love all the different kinds of soup. I usually have 2-3 bowls of soup.

Last night I had an enchilada bake...yummy!

Tyrone usually starts with two plates of salad..one i make myself, one of premade salads..then it is on to soup, pizza, fruit..and then a soup bowl of brownie and ice cream.

BallHawk
03-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Tyrone usually starts with two plates of salad..one i make myself, one of premade salads..then it is on to soup, pizza, fruit..and then a soup bowl of brownie and ice cream.

Down here in Florida, you have to skip the salad line otherwise you'll be stuck behind senior citizens that can't put salad onto a plate with tongs to save their life.

Screw the salads, though, who goes to a buffet to eat sensibly? You should load up on pizza and pasta then go for a behemoth of a brownie ice cream sundae.

GrnBay007
03-02-2008, 08:47 PM

What is the quality of the soup there......is it similar in any way to homemade? I love soup but I'm really picky about it because I make a lot of homemade soups.

BallHawk
03-02-2008, 08:59 PM

What is the quality of the soup there......is it similar in any way to homemade? I love soup but I'm really picky about it because I make a lot of homemade soups.

It's good. It's not amazing, but it's better than out of a can soup. The chili is one of the only things that has meat there and it is actually pretty good.

Nothing beats homemade soup, though.

Freak Out
03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
WTF is it with you flatlanders and buffets anyway? The Golden Corral came to Alaska last year and when they had the grand opening I drove by just to laugh at the leviathans fighting to be first in line. It was the running of the bulls in reverse.

I like the idea of the Sweet Tomato's salad buffet though.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-02-2008, 09:21 PM

They have like 6 soups. All are homemade..ie, made on premise.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-02-2008, 09:24 PM

Down here in Florida, you have to skip the salad line otherwise you'll be stuck behind senior citizens that can't put salad onto a plate with tongs to save their life.

Screw the salads, though, who goes to a buffet to eat sensibly? You should load up on pizza and pasta then go for a behemoth of a brownie ice cream sundae.

I lived in Florida..i know that problem quite well.

I go for the salad. If i wanted to eat a ton of carbs i'd just stay at home.

Not the crappy pasta. I like meat or something in my pasta..not just veggies or mac n cheese. The pizza is ok, but half the time they don't serve it out here..garlic focaccia or cheese focaccia.

I never eat the baked potatoes and rarely touch the cornbread.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-02-2008, 09:30 PM
WTF is it with you flatlanders and buffets anyway? The Golden Corral came to Alaska last year and when they had the grand opening I drove by just to laugh at the leviathans fighting to be first in line. It was the running of the bulls in reverse.

I like the idea of the Sweet Tomato's salad buffet though.

It isn't a flatlander thing..it is all over. The south loves their buffets..they aren't all all you can eat though..lubys, piccadilly, morrisons, etc.

Course you can always find a chinese buffet or indian food buffet as well all over the country.

Golden corrall is atrocious. In the sucky pantheon with Ryans steakhouse, Old Country, Ponderosa (maybe the name is wrong...something westerny), Souper Salad, and CiCi's pizza.

In orlando they had a sushi buffet..with other things as well like crab legs. 21 beans..not to bad though.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-02-2008, 09:31 PM

It's good. It's not amazing, but it's better than out of a can soup. The chili is one of the only things that has meat there and it is actually pretty good.

Nothing beats homemade soup, though.

the chicken noodle has plenty of chicken. The key is to scrape the bottom and get all the chicken. Learned that from a former co-worker who would load up a whole bowl of just the chicken. :oops:

Freak Out
03-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Tonight it's Hummus, Acorn squash, broccoli.....

Iron Mike
03-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Baked ziti, peas, monkey bread and homemade chocolate chip cookies. 8-)

Freak Out
09-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Fresh watercress is damn tasty.....especially on a fresh salmon burger.

BallHawk
09-16-2008, 11:18 PM

Shouldn't you be having a mooseburger instead?

Freak Out
09-16-2008, 11:33 PM

Shouldn't you be having a mooseburger instead?

My neighbor and I are going to "harvest" one this weekend. I have no need for an entire moose anymore so I always share hunt with someone with kids. He has a bow permit for a spot on Fort Richardson which is more akin to fishing in a barrel...I'll back him up with my 375HH...... :twisted:

Fishing for Coho is very good this time of year and the limits have been raised so I nailed a few more.

Iron Mike
09-16-2008, 11:34 PM

Shakey's is shakin' up pizza people......

Our Shakey's has been gone for a few years now. Pizza Ranch replaced it.

http://www.pizzaranch.com

GrnBay007
09-16-2008, 11:43 PM
SPEAKING of dinner. :D

Does anyone remember what the name of the thread was that many people were posting their favorite way to cook/precook Brats? Family reunion this weekend and we are grilling. We are doing BBQ ribs, burgers (got those two handled. My BBQ ribs are awesome :D ) and Brats. I remember some great suggestions on how to cook them but I don't remember if it was a thread of it's own or otherwise. Anyone remember?

texaspackerbacker
09-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Was there a point to all this?

My wife went with our daughter to a restaurant that I can't stand--that describes most restaurants.

I stayed home and warmed up some delicious roast beef my wife made on Thursday with nice greasy gravy over instant mash potatoes--I like them better than the real thing--and bread, with a side of apple sauce. I followed that up at bedtime with a big dish of raspberry sherbet and vanilla ice cream. I drink water with my meals--so I can snack on pop or orange juice all day long.

I eat for the pure enjoyment of it. I can't stand vegetables or most spices or condiments--nothing but salt, and plenty of that.

And NOBODY is healthier for their age than I am!

MJZiggy
09-17-2008, 06:22 AM

Does anyone remember what the name of the thread was that many people were posting their favorite way to cook/precook Brats? Family reunion this weekend and we are grilling. We are doing BBQ ribs, burgers (got those two handled. My BBQ ribs are awesome :D ) and Brats. I remember some great suggestions on how to cook them but I don't remember if it was a thread of it's own or otherwise. Anyone remember?

It was in the Gourmet Foods thread. And it was posted on the homepage. Cook 'em in beer and onion on the stove first and don't pierce them with a fork so you hold the juices in.

Tex, some threads we have around just because they're fun. That is their point.

Iron Mike
09-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Family reunion this weekend and we are grilling. We are doing BBQ ribs, burgers and brats.

What? No corn????

http://www.grilledcornonthecob.com/images/15-grilled-corn.jpg

Freak Out
09-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Anyone have a good recipe for Gator? A friend was up from Gibson Louisiana and he brought me some Gator. First time I had gator was at the blues fest in Davenport Iowa many moons ago...."Gator on a stick"...damn good. :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
09-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Anyone have a good recipe for Gator? A friend was up from Gibson Louisiana and he brought me some Gator. First time I had gator was at the blues fest in Davenport Iowa many moons ago...."Gator on a stick"...damn good. :lol:

That would depend on the cut.

If you have tail, then it is best cut into smaller pieces and fried.

Ribs...just like any other ribs..on the grill. You can also grill the tail..with some cajun seasoning.

You can always grind up the meat and use it like other ground meats..chili, nachos, etc.

Really, most of the time i lived in Florida and gator was served..it was almost always fried..you can change the prep...buttermilk/flour, salt and pepper/flour, buffalo wing sauce...that was always my fav.

packinpatland
09-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Along with my nice bottle of cabernet........I grilled some catfish and made a nice arugula salad...........'elitist' fare. :wink:

GBRulz
09-18-2008, 07:34 PM

It was in the Gourmet Foods thread. And it was posted on the homepage. Cook 'em in beer and onion on the stove first and don't pierce them with a fork so you hold the juices in.

Brats in a Gourmet Foods thread? :whaa: LOL

retailguy
09-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Along with my nice bottle of cabernet........I grilled some catfish and made a nice arugula salad...........'elitist' fare. :wink:

Citrus marinated sirlion on the grill with edamame and lentils. no wine, I had a diet soda. :wink:

Tyrone Bigguns
09-18-2008, 07:53 PM

And day dreaming about how to run the world and spend other's money. Muah!

packinpatland
09-18-2008, 07:57 PM

Oh Ty............I really only want yours ($)......................... :lol:

HowardRoark
09-18-2008, 08:00 PM
I had a Johnsonville brat with white truffle sauce.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-18-2008, 08:00 PM

Oh Ty............I really only want yours ($)......................... :lol:

Used to worry about the poor
But I don't worry anymore
Used to worry about the black man
Now I don't worry about the black man
Used to worry about the starving children of India
You know what I say about the starving children of India ?

I say, "Oh mama"

It's Money That I Love
It's Money That I Love
It's Money That I Love

hoosier
09-18-2008, 08:17 PM

First boil the brats in beer (low boil) for 15 minutes. Then throw on the grill on mediumish heat (if gas grill; slightly lower for charcoal) for about 4 minutes per side. Turn twice for a total of 12 minutes on the grill. When they start dripping fat, be sure they don't get charred in the flameups. They should be brown and slightly crispy skin when done. Enjoy with lots of beer.

Freak Out
09-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Keep the political BS out of the food thread....save it for when were grilling at the Rats game. :)

Freak Out
09-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Swiss milk maids.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2976181/Swiss-restaurant-to-serve-meals-cooked-with-human-breast-milk.html

Zool
09-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Swiss milk maids.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2976181/Swiss-restaurant-to-serve-meals-cooked-with-human-breast-milk.html

Do they need anyone to harvest the milk?

Scott Campbell
09-19-2008, 10:45 PM
This sounds like one of those awful Jeff Foxworthy jokes.

You know you're in the dairy state when.........

Cheesehead Craig
09-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Friday night is pizza night. Since the wife if off on a scrapbooking weekend, we got take and bake. Usually she makes the pizza herself. Does a fantastic job with the crust.

Partial
09-20-2008, 12:15 AM
Had a burrito at La Perla. And some margaritas. Drunk drunk goose.

mraynrand
10-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Not exactly a low cholesterol meal:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1070290/Former-Mr-Gay-UK-slit-boyfriends-throat-marinated-diced-flesh-fresh-herbs.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/06/article-1070290-02EA832F00000578-192_224x423.jpg

Damian Oldfield: allegedly, he was delicious.

HowardRoark
10-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Not exactly a low cholesterol meal:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1070290/Former-Mr-Gay-UK-slit-boyfriends-throat-marinated-diced-flesh-fresh-herbs.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/06/article-1070290-02EA832F00000578-192_224x423.jpg

Damian Oldfield: allegedly, he was delicious.

This was gay on gay, is it considered hate cuisine?

Zool
10-07-2008, 08:59 PM

:rs:

digitaldean
10-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Did he have it with some fava beans and a nice chianti??

http://bbb.blogs.sapo.pt/arquivo/hannibal_lecter%20copy.jpg

sheepshead
10-08-2008, 08:06 AM

:rs: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sheepshead
10-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Wonder what he did with his junk?

Iron Mike
11-02-2008, 09:31 AM
My ex-wife's Grandmother always used to make a beef/pork roast together in the same pot.

http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/_Images/Meat/beef-n-pork-roast.jpg

I'm gonna make an attempt at the same thing today. :P

Partial
05-16-2009, 10:09 PM
I made this out of some spices around the house, and boneless chicken breasts. It's extremely tasty!!! This will definitely be how I eat bonesless skinless breasts from now on.

Recipe is copy and pasted.

1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 teaspoons onion salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon dried powdered rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried powdered thyme
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

The great thing about these is that you can blend them ahead of time, and store in a baggie.

You'll also need 3-4 whole boneless chicken breasts, cut to serving size desired.
1 large egg or Egg Beaters
Olive Oil (in spritzer, if available)
2 Cups dry bread crumbs

When you're ready to cook:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Pour the dry bread crumbs into a bowl. In a separate bowl, put either 1 large egg white, beaten, or 1/4 cup of Egg Beaters. Spray olive oil into the bottom of a large baking dish to keep your chicken from sticking.

Mix "the kernel's 11 herbs and spices" well into the bread crumbs. One serving at a time, dip the chicken into your egg, then roll in the seasoned crumbs mixture, then place into the baking dish. Once all of your chicken is coated, lightly spritz the top of your chicken with olive oil to aid in browning.

Put the baking dish into the oven, and allow it to bake for 20 minutes. Pull the dish out, flip the chicken, and re-spritz with olive oil. Bake another 20 minutes until golden brown.

Partial
05-16-2009, 10:16 PM

The one in North Chicago is excellent. I had it for the first time about a year ago, and its definitely one of my favorite restaurants. It's a little bit expensive for what it is, but they have a nice bogo coupon good sunday - thursday