PDA

View Full Version : Are You Satisfied with Poppinga as a Starting LB?

BallHawk
03-02-2008, 10:02 AM
See above.

BallHawk
03-02-2008, 10:05 AM
IMO, the dude played pretty good in the postseason and he's an above average tackler. The guy is solid and I'd be quite happy with him starting next season.

However, I'd also be open to TT spending a 2nd or 3rd round on a LB to compete with Brady.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 10:07 AM
He's OK

b bulldog
03-02-2008, 10:07 AM
If used correctly, he is an underrated LB imo.

Carolina_Packer
03-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing someone brought in to push him to keep his job, or take it if they prove to be better.

Patler
03-02-2008, 10:25 AM
I think it is a position the Packers have to try to get better at, even if that is Poppinga himself getting better.

He is exposed badly at times in the passing game.
He is good against the run, very solid, but not the "beast" I thought he might be generating fumbles.
I had hoped he would be a more effective blitzer than he is. They've tried to use him at times, without much result.

Can you continue to play with him there? Sure.
But, clearly it is a spot to try to improve.

Fritz
03-02-2008, 11:45 AM
I think you all forget that this is really only his second season starting as a linebacker. He's still got some room to improve, and I think he will. He played well in the spotlight of the playoffs.

Patler
03-02-2008, 12:41 PM
I guess another way to look at this question is this;

Who is the weakest starter (for their position) on defense? We can probably argue over whether it is one of the safeties or Poppinga, but those would seem to be the only candidates. My personal opinion is that Collins and Bigby are better safeties than Poppinga is a linebacker.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 12:43 PM
I guess another way to look at this question is this;

Who is the weakest starter (for their position) on defense? We can probably argue over whether it is one of the safeties or Poppinga, but those would seem to be the only candidates. My personal opinion is that Collins and Bigby are better safeties than Poppinga is a linebacker.

I'd completely agree on this; if you are trying to upgrade your team you look at the weakest postitions on both sides of the ball

On defense I'd agree it's our 3rd LB and then Safety
On Offfense I'd say it's clearly OG and then one could say the #2 TE

RashanGary
03-02-2008, 12:57 PM
I agree and disagree with the assertion that a GM should try to fix holes first.

I disagree when the avenue being used is the draft. You cannot predict who will be available when and where in the draft. Because quality players slip all of the time, I think a team is better served by taking the best player and to adjust game planning to revolve around the strengths built. You can also trade players if a glut of really good players develops.

I agree in UFA. UFA prices are set by the open, unrestricted market. Because of this prices tend to get driven way up. By spending more on one position an opportunity cost is implied and less money will be available to use elsewhere on the roster (see 2005 cap troubles) (see current Redskins team). If you are going to use UFA, you don't have control over maximizing value becaue the market controls. In this case, you just take what you couldn't fill through the more affordable avenues. Maybe you can find a somewhat underrated prospect on the UFA market. However, out evaluating NFL execs after everyone sees a player play in the NFL becomes much harder than outperforming the compeition when the uncertainty of competition jump clouds judgement. In general, you get what you pay for on the UFA market. By drafting well, using fringe markets and lockign guys up early, you get more than what you pay for so UFA should be avoided if possible because of the opportunity cost. It can and should be used when impact (related to winning a SB) warrant. I would say a team that is close that has a glaring hole (that when fixed would give a much better chance at a SB victory) would be a very good time to use UFA. I also think it's good if you feel a player is underrated, you need him and the value is good but I don't think this is very often.

Lurker64
03-02-2008, 01:07 PM
I think that Poppinga has showed steady improvement in his game, and did very much step it up in the playoffs. As such, I won't be heartbroken if we don't upgrade at SLB this season.

In terms of upgrading defensive positions I personally think that the three weakest starting positions are: Nickel Corner, Safety, and SLB. Nickel Corner, IMO, is the only one of these that absolutely must be improved in the offseason.

I also think that our overall lack of depth at all of the Linebacker positions is more of a problem than Poppinga.

Patler
03-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't dislike Poppinga.
I believe he can still improve as he gains experience.

But, I did not see any corner turned by him in the playoffs. He made a play or two in the running game as I recall, but in two games he had no forced fumbles, no recovered fumbles, no interceptions, no passes defensed, no sacks, no hurries.. He made a few tackles each game. Nine other players on defense had more tackles than he did against the Giants, who ran the ball very effectively. A game he could have made an impact. He had one tackle against Seattle. I just didn't see anything in those two games that indicated any real change in his play this year.

rbaloha1
03-02-2008, 04:48 PM
BP has pass rush ability. Check out the college stats.

KGB is too expensive to keep. BP could fulfill KGB's role as a designated pass rusher. His relentless motor and good speed are valuable assets for a pass rusher.

Iron Mike
03-02-2008, 04:54 PM
The Swarmin' Mormon!!!! :P

twoseven
03-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Very simply, we have been lucky that our LBs have stayed healthy. Even one injury in the bunch and we've got issues. We need another LB even if it's just for depth, no excuses.

Tony Oday
03-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I think we should bring in a LB that can cover a TE you know incase we want to not set a record for yards and TDs by a TE...

Patler
03-02-2008, 06:18 PM
BP has pass rush ability. Check out the college stats.

KGB is too expensive to keep. BP could fulfill KGB's role as a designated pass rusher. His relentless motor and good speed are valuable assets for a pass rusher.

They've tried him some at that. He showed nothing.

motife
03-02-2008, 06:53 PM
how about that hit he put on Plaxico Burress in the first game against the Giants? He's somewhat of an enforcer. Has made some pretty good stops of runs on the outside behind the line.

http://holdencaulfield.files.wordpress.com/2006/07/jessica-simpson-pink-bikini-cabo-animated.gif

Fritz
03-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm not against bringing in Bailey or Chillar, or drafting a linebacker (or two). As long as you don't break the bank on Bailey or Chillar (and TT won't), it'll be fine. I think Poppinga can be a solid starting linebacker next year, but competition is fine, too.

PackerBlues
03-03-2008, 01:28 PM
I would not mind seeing the Packers keep Poppinga, but I would like to see depth added to the position at the very least. Best case scenario would be for the Packers to find a guy who could start in front of Poppinga, rather than replace him altogether.

Cheesehead Craig
03-03-2008, 01:34 PM
If we went into next season with him as our starter, it's not the worst thing in the world. I think we should draft someone to compete with him. Poppinga may not have been on the job very long, but he's also 28 years old and in 2-3 years, we'll definately need to replace him. Better to have someone getting ready now.