PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Packer Rats Draft Psychology

Lurker64
03-02-2008, 01:54 PM
As Packer fans, in the last 2-3 years we've become accustomed to the fact that (other than the annual Favre retirement saga) the highlight of our offseason is the draft. My amateur opinion is that whether a draft is viewed as "successful" or "unsuccessful" by fans and pundits is largely a function of expectations. Therefore, in anticipation of the reaction to whatever happens in the draft and in the interest of introspection, I'm curious about the expectations that we Packer fans have formed.

If you'd be so kind as to answer whichever of the following questions you feel like answering, I'd be grateful.

1) Are there any players which the Packers could draft that you, personally, have fallen in love with? Which ones?

2) Are there any players which the Packers could draft that you, personally, have a strong aversion towards and would be unhappy if they are drafted? Which ones?

3) Are there any positions that you'd be upset if the Packers picked a player at that position in the first round, even if the player selected was a good value? Second round? Third round? Which ones?

4) Are there any positions that you'd be upset if the Packers did not address in the first three rounds, regardless of the value available at those positions when we pick? First two rounds? First round? Which ones?

5) Would you be upset if Thompson continues his program of trading down for more picks? How much would he have to trade down before you would be disappointed (assuming he got a fair deal)? Would you be upset if Thompson traded 2008 draft picks for future draft picks, even if he got a good deal?

6) Would you be upset if Thompson acted uncharacteristically and took a risk to trade up? Assuming he got a fair deal, how much would he have to give up to trade up before you're uncomfortable with the deal?

BONUS NON DRAFT QUESTION: Do you want Moss this year? Did you want Moss last year? If you want Moss, how much would you pay to get him?

Thank you for your time.

packrulz
03-02-2008, 03:02 PM
1. Cromartie. DB, Tenn. State. 6-1.5/183/4.47 I think if he drops this far, TT is stupid not to pick him, Harris and Woodson are getting old.
2. Fred Davis, TE, USC. He's good but not in the first round.
3. TE. I just don't think most of them are 1st round caliber.
4. In terms of need I'd like TT to draft a CB, RB, & Safety on the first day.
5. I don't want TT to trade up or down, sit tight, some other team will reach on a player, then pick the BPA who slips down to him.
6. I'd be pissed if TT traded picks to trade up.

I think Moss is good but too expensive and I don't want him taking snaps from our good, young WR's who will be with the Pack for years to come, I think with the WR's we had the Pack could've beat the Patriots and Moss in the SB but coulda, woulda, shoulda...

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 03:12 PM
As Packer fans, in the last 2-3 years we've become accustomed to the fact that (other than the annual Favre retirement saga) the highlight of our offseason is the draft. My amateur opinion is that whether a draft is viewed as "successful" or "unsuccessful" by fans and pundits is largely a function of expectations. Therefore, in anticipation of the reaction to whatever happens in the draft and in the interest of introspection, I'm curious about the expectations that we Packer fans have formed.

If you'd be so kind as to answer whichever of the following questions you feel like answering, I'd be grateful.

1) Are there any players which the Packers could draft that you, personally, have fallen in love with? Which ones?

NOT AS OF YET

2) Are there any players which the Packers could draft that you, personally, have a strong aversion towards and would be unhappy if they are drafted? Which ones?

NOPE

3) Are there any positions that you'd be upset if the Packers picked a player at that position in the first round, even if the player selected was a good value? Second round? Third round? Which ones?

I DON'T WANT AN OT IN ROUND ONE

4) Are there any positions that you'd be upset if the Packers did not address in the first three rounds, regardless of the value available at those positions when we pick? First two rounds? First round? Which ones?

DEPENDS ON FREE AGENCY; I'D BE A BIT DISAPPOINTED IF WE DO NOT ADDRESS AN IMPROVEMENT AT THE OG POSITION AND THE CB POSITION SOMEHOW

5) Would you be upset if Thompson continues his program of trading down for more picks? How much would he have to trade down before you would be disappointed (assuming he got a fair deal)? Would you be upset if Thompson traded 2008 draft picks for future draft picks, even if he got a good deal?

NOT REALLY; HE'S GOING TO DO THIS MOST YEARS SO WE MIGHT AS WELL GET USED TO IT

6) Would you be upset if Thompson acted uncharacteristically and took a risk to trade up? Assuming he got a fair deal, how much would he have to give up to trade up before you're uncomfortable with the deal?

NOT AT ALL

BONUS NON DRAFT QUESTION: Do you want Moss this year? Did you want Moss last year? If you want Moss, how much would you pay to get him?

SURE I'D TAKE MOSS IF FAVRE COMES BACK; HE EXCELLED LAST YEAR AND HE'S LOADS BETTER THAN MOST OF OUR WR'S. I WOULD NOT BREAK THE BANK FOR HIM. PROBABLY A TWO YEAR DEAL IN THE 6MIL PER YEAR RANGE

I ALSO WANTED MOSS LAST YEAR

Thank you for your time.

Lurker64
03-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Might as well answer for myself.

I have personal affection for Owen Schmitt (FB, WVU), I don't know how well he fits in this offense but I'd be happy getting him in the later rounds. I'm increasingly intrigued by Calais Campbell's (DE, Miami) potential. I'm also higher on Patrick Lee (CB, Auburn) than most people are and think he would be a great fit for this system. I'd be overjoyed if we could have him in the 2nd, and I'd be okay with taking him in the first (even though the move would probably be roundly panned as a reach.)

I think Jake Long is Robert Gallery II, but he won't be there when we pick so this is irrelevant. I don't want DeShaun Foster, he's Ted Ginn II. All the other guys I'm down on are later round picks.

I think a QB in the first round would absolutely be questionable, as would a WR (though that's more justifiable than a QB). None of the TEs are probably first round grade, but they'd be fine in the later rounds. Third round or later, should be pure BPA though.

Not really, I think this team could win the division next year if they didn't show up to the draft and didn't participate in free agency. This draft is all about depth for me, I'm looking to get a nickel or dime corner, backup LBs, a backup TE, and some OL prospects, but if we don't do any of that we should still be okay.

Thompson trading down never bothered me, assuming he gets a good value. Obviously if he did something ridiculous like trade his first for a bunch of 3rd, 5th, and 7th round picks I'd raise an eyebrow though. We could stand to pick up some 6th round picks though, that round did well for us last year.

I'm very leery about this. I do understand that we could trade up to about 16 if we package our first and a 2nd, but I don't think there's anybody up there worth reaching for.

I'm actually slouching towards "pro-Moss" this year, even though it really doesn't make a lot of sense for us. I was against him last year, I thought he was done and a troublemaker. I wouldn't want to sign him for more than 3 years, but I could imagine giving him like 8 million per. I also recognize that this makes no sense.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Lurker,

If a WR with top tier talent falls I could see TT pulling the trigger. Typically WR's take a couple years to develop anyways and in our 5 WR set an upgrade from Ruvell Martin would help all the more.

I'm OK with Moss either way.

The Shadow
03-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Just finished scanning my first draft publications and, as per usual at this early point - EVERYONE seems too full of flaws.
That being said, LB Dan Connor would be a great pick, even though linebacker is not a crying need (except for backup spots).
I never think you can have enough of those heady, instinctive, tough types on your team.

vince
03-02-2008, 04:43 PM

I'm all over a guy who's dropping right now and might fall into our lap as the BPA, that is a hard hitting, athletic, fast and a playmaking db who will be a future pro bowler :wink: ...Ziggy's got me writing an article about him, so I don't want to ruin the article, so I'll leave it at that...

No. Go BPA. We need depth and talent at every position.

No. Go BPA. We need depth and talent at every position.

I hope he does trade down. This is a deep draft and that means that there are a lot of guys that Ted likes if he's trading down...

No. Ted has earned my trust that he knows what he's doing.

I wanted him last year, but this year I don't. Whoever signs him this year will need to pay for years beyond that which he'll be effective and will end up giving too much guaranteed money - thus creating a cap headache. Plus, I don't see a good fit chemistry-wise. McCarthy doesn't deal well with me-first attitudes, and he's not one to walk on eggshells trying to make a guy like Moss happy. And not the least of which, we established a great passing attack with the guys we have. Don't *&^% it up by bringing in a wild card and potential disruption.

twoseven
03-02-2008, 05:46 PM
RB Stewart or Mendenhall, LB Rivers, CB Cromartie

No.

No OL in first round.

I think we need to address CB, LB, TE, RB, OG wherever

Trading down would bother me only if we are, to make room we don't have, cutting young players from previous seasons that haven't had enough time to blossom yet. Otherwise, do whatever.

If he did so it must be for a good TT reason, so no.

I wanted him last year and would not be upset this year. I want to see him in GB if for no other reason than TO END THE SPECUALTION of what he would actually do if he came here. I am tired of hearing what he would or would not do, I'd prefer proof. I'd offer 8 mil a year, he's not Berrian.

Thank you for your time.

BallHawk
03-02-2008, 06:27 PM

Not one.

I don't like DRC. Too much hype around him.

RB at any point on the first day (rounds 1-2 now.) LB at any point on the first day.

OG and CB.

No. He's proven that he knows the draft as well as any GM in this league. I have complete confidence that whatever moves he makes are for the best of the franchise. Personally, I'd like to trade out of the 1st round. Maybe we could pick up a 2nd and a 3rd for our pick? 3 2nds and 2 3rds? That's enticing with TT's eye for talent leading the way.

Yes. Trading up in the 1st round from our position is foolish if you're a 13-3 team. We don't need to trade draft picks for what we hope to be "playmakers." TT just needs to continue picking up Greg Jennings and Johnny Jolly's of the world. I'd be open to trading up to the early 20s, maybe late teens, but trading up any higher than that is stupid, especially if it is for something like a RB.

I was luke-warm on Moss last year. I would of been fine getting him, but I was also fine not getting him and I would say I was partially guilty, as many on here were, of acting like not getting was no big deal. I would of liked him in GB, but I was not heartbroken that we didn't get him.

That being said, I would be open to having him play for us this year. Money-wise, I wouldn't care how much we paid him looking at all our cap space.

RashanGary
03-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Mines like Vince's except I like Mendenhall (even though he's out of our reach) and I think the guy he's talking about is Talib and I think I'm with him on that. Talib seems like a guy who could drop and would be great in the Green and Gold.

The other thing I have differing is that I would take Randy Moss even if we had to pay top dollar. He's a unique playmaker and will be for at least one or two more years. Evne if the third year is garbage, he gives us an instant real chance at the SB this year and next year if Brett comes back or Rodger is really good (the first is more likely than the second). I wanted him the first time and still want him now.

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Mines like Vince's except I like Mendenhall (even though he's out of our reach) and I think the guy he's talking about is Talib and I think I'm with him on that. Talib seems like a guy who could drop and would be great in the Green and Gold.

The other thing I have differing is that I would take Randy Moss even if we had to pay top dollar. He's a unique playmaker and will be for at least one or two more years. Evne if the third year is garbage, he gives us an instant real chance at the SB this year and next year if Brett comes back or Rodger is really good (the first is more likely than the second). I wanted him the first time and still want him now.

So what you're saying is you're writing an article about your favorite player?

Fritz
03-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Great questions, well thought out. I will respond in full later - I haven't brushed up on the draft yet - but I will say that I'm always uncomfortable with a GM moving up in the draft, especially at the cost of second, third, and fourth round types of picks. So if TT moved up and gave up a second and first, or more, I'd be might uncomfortable. There's ahell of a lot of very good NFL starters who are drafted in the second and third rounds. Keep them picks!

Lurker64
04-03-2008, 06:33 PM
I think, a month later and a month closer to the draft people might well have more things to say about this, so I'm bumping the thread, in case someone cares to comment.

Gunakor
04-03-2008, 07:15 PM

Rodgers-Cromartie in the first (won't happen) and Ray Rice with one of the seconds (highly doubtful)

Anyone who plays DT

See above

Cornerback, Offensive Tackle, Tight End, Runningback - in order of importance, not necessarily the order selected

I think we've gotten to the point where we don't need quantity as much as we need quality, so I'd be fairly dissapointed if TT traded down when a quality player at a position of need is still on the board.

If he could move up in the first to grab Rodgers-Cromartie, I'd be okay with that. There might be an OT available worth trading up for as well, but without knowing how much longer Taucher and Cliffy will be around for I don't know if you wanna spend mid-upper 1st round money on one just yet.

I've never liked Moss. He's the greatest reciever ever that occasionally makes an impact when he's on a winning team and has a pro bowl quarterback. I say occasionally, because on the New England Patriots with Tom Brady as his quarterback he sure disappeared in this years playoffs. On top of that, I really like the guys we have now. They are good guys who work hard and always show up when it matters.

Thank you for your time.

The Leaper
04-04-2008, 08:54 AM

Won't do any deep draft analysis until after the Final Four...so I've got nothing right now since we are picking so late.

There are 3 positions where I feel there is no need for a high (top 100) pick...QB, FB, LB. Anything else is fair game in the first 3 rounds IMO.

We need to take a CB on the first day...the position is too strong in this year's draft, and it is one of our biggest need areas. I would be extremely upset if we did not take a CB on day one.

I'm indifferent. Previously, I was strongly in favor of it to build depth. However, we've reached a point where no more than 10-12 spots on the roster are up for grabs in camp, and half of those already have previous draft picks from the last 2-3 years lurking...so stocking up with picks really isn't necessary. With 2 second round and 2 fourth round picks, I think we have plenty of ammunition as it is for retooling areas of need in a deep draft. Since we are picking low and have plenty of cap space, trading down to save $$$ is moot.

Not at all. Moving up in the 3rd or 4th round would not be shocking to me at all in a draft this deep. Guys of a high talent level are going to fall...depending on who and when, it may be someone Thompson has a strong interest in.

Had a lot of interest in Moss last year. Had no interest this year...too expensive and he won't come to GB without Favre anyway.

woodbuck27
04-04-2008, 03:05 PM

I feel really wanting this or that player and TT's mentality are non -congruent.

TT will take best player available and we really have need to develop at CB and OLT.

The talent may not be there in this draft for a LT but T bwetter be looking there soon.

NO see above. That's a waste of TIME given TT's style of just really surprising us.Hahahaha :D

He better not go DT. If he does I'll stink this place up. :D

CB

NO!

Moot question as he won't.

I wanted Moss and LOVE this WR anytime.

Fritz
04-06-2008, 09:00 AM
My new philosophy is to not spend as much time combing over the draft - TT ends up picking a guy like Brandon Jackson in the second round, who, in my researches, looked very generic, vanila, just a guy - no one I was remotely interested in. But he's a Packer now and I kinda wasted my time being disappointed. Now I'm rooting for him.

Same with James Jones.

I would be mildly unhappy if TT took a player at any one of these positions in the first round, because I don't think we need immediate help in any of these areas: linebacker, safety, and wide receiver. I think you can get guys at those positions who are talented but undeveloped in later rounds. You don't need a starter at any one of those spots.

If TT took a QB in round one I'd be okay with that. The dude took A-Rod in his first draft when the Packers needed lots and lots of help and Brett Favre was the QB, and I think that pick will prove wise if A-Rod can stay healthy.

If he takes an offensive lineman in round one I'd be okay with it.

Personally I think you can never get enough defensive lineman who can rush the passer, so if he took a defensive end I'd be fine with that.

I'd be good with a corner for the first pick.

I wouldn't mind if TT traded down - this is supposed to be a deep draft, so if anybody can mine the talent at the lower end of the draft, it's Ted.

Conversely, I'd be bummed if he traded up early. If he wants to trade up in like the fourth round, then fine. But not in the first three.