PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else somewhat frustrated?

DannoMac21
03-02-2008, 02:12 PM
I mean, I know. We went 13-3. We went through this same thing last year. We had a great season, but c'mon. At least one signing wouldn't hurt.

pittstang5
03-02-2008, 02:19 PM
I mean, I know. We went 13-3. We went through this same thing last year. We had a great season, but c'mon. At least one signing wouldn't hurt.

Who would you want?

PlantPage55
03-02-2008, 02:32 PM
I would like to see a Guard added or a back-up/competitive Linebacker

But if we don't sign them, I'm not going to be upset. I mean, no signing outside of Randy Moss - who probably doesn't want to play for us - is going to make our team much better vs. the money we'd spend.

vince
03-02-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm not the least bit frustrated. I think it'll be important the next two years that the team maintain its discipline. We don't know what is going to happen with the CBA, and there are a lot of contributing players to re-up, particularly in '09.

2 days into FA though, it didn't take long for the Pack to fall behind in the spending spree... :lol:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/news/teamneeds.php?draftyear=2008
For those not wanting to click, the Packers are the only team in the league not to sign anyone yet...

Patler
03-02-2008, 03:27 PM
2 days into FA though, it didn't take long for the Pack to fall behind in the spending spree... :lol:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/news/teamneeds.php?draftyear=2008

Interesting, all other franchised FAs are listed under the "Key Free Agent Gains" column. But because Williams was traded, he is listed under the "Lost/Released" column as "traded for '08 2nd" I think he should be in the "Gains" column, too, as "Franchised-but traded for '08 2nd".

cheesner
03-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Am I frustrated? Not at all.

I want the Packers to be a great team. However we get there is fine with me. The best path to improving your team is longterm through the draft.

Brohm
03-02-2008, 03:34 PM
No, just curious mostly. One year we got Pickett and Woodson, another we got Frank Walker. Wide range of contributions (or lack thereof) there. Just wondering what diamonds in the rough are out there that TT may be looking at.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 03:40 PM
After witnessing all of last year I don't see how we can be frustrated after two days this year. Heck, after last year TT could hibernate through free agency again this year and it'd be hard to be disappointed. My expectations are nothing. If TT would just sign a starting OG and have a good draft I'd be elated.

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 04:13 PM
After witnessing all of last year I don't see how we can be frustrated after two days this year. Heck, after last year TT could hibernate through free agency again this year and it'd be hard to be disappointed. My expectations are nothing. If TT would just sign a starting OG and have a good draft I'd be elated.

Just wondering as I really haven't been paying much attention, but what guards are available that would fit us?

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 04:21 PM

Just wondering as I really haven't been paying much attention, but what guards are available that would fit us?

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=11279&start=0

The first Colt OG is off the board but Scott is still available

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks. I thought I heard Faneca signed somewhere, but that's just cause you guys said his name so many times that it stuck.

vince
03-02-2008, 04:27 PM

Bedard from the Journal-Sentinel really likes the Miami product and thinks he's athletic and would fit very well with the zbs.
Rex Hadnot 6-2 325
Bedard used to cover the Dolphins.

These guys are also available yet.
Jacob Bell 6-4 295
Jake Scott 6-5 295

And I think these two are as well...
Justin Smiley 6-3 311
Cooper Carlisle 6-5 295

Guiness
03-02-2008, 04:28 PM

Who would you want?

Not frustrated...but I wouldn't have minded Randal Gay.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks. I thought I heard Faneca signed somewhere, but that's just cause you guys said his name so many times that it stuck.

He is very close to signing and probably will sign with the Jets; sounds like 5Yr 40 Million

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 04:31 PM

Bedard from the Journal-Sentinel really likes the Miami product and thinks he's athletic and would fit very well with the zbs.
Rex Hadnot 6-2 325
Bedard used to cover the Dolphins.

These guys are also available yet.
Jacob Bell 6-4 295
Jake Scott 6-5 295

And I think these two are as well...
Justin Smiley 6-3 311
Cooper Carlisle 6-5 295

Jake Scott is the guy it seems that everybody in here would like based on past discussion. It will be interesting to see what money he signs for and if TT shows any interest

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 04:31 PM
What was the knock on him? Age?

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 04:32 PM

Who would you want?

Not frustrated...but I wouldn't have minded Randal Gay.

That is a tough one; Gay is a starter and we already have two solid starting CB's. I'm not sure TT would pay starter like money for a #3. I see them using one of the top 3 picks there or signing a young guy with upside.

KYPack
03-02-2008, 04:59 PM
I like Jacob Bell.

He's mature, young, but no kid.

As others have noted, it's still "stupid money" time. If we can get him at a good price, he'd be a player. The problem at G is we have some interesting choices, guys that might just develop into a good player. It'll be hard to figure who gets cut.

twoseven
03-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Gay signed with the Saints.

RashanGary
03-02-2008, 05:07 PM
I like Jacob Bell.

He's mature, but no kid.

As others have noted, it's still "stupid money" time. If we can get him at a good price, he's be a player. The problem at G is we have some interesting choices, guys that might just develop into a good player. It'll be hard to figure who gets cut.

Right. OL can sometimes take 2-3 years to develop. Spitz seems like a winner to me. After that we have a list of young guys who have chance. . .

Colledge
Coston
Barbre

I'm not ready to put all of my eggs in any one of these guys basket, but we don't have to. We only have to get 1 of 3 to pan out and we have a good starter to pair with Spitz. I do think one of those three will step up.

On top of that it's supposed to be a really good year for the OL. Thompson said in his last press conference that it's good at the top and deep throughout with olinemen. That tells me that if he takes BPA we'll end up with an OL or two.

I think we'll be OK on the Oline even without UFA. We were OK in the second half of last year and should only get better with development.

LL2
03-02-2008, 05:08 PM
After seeing how TT operates the past few years how can anyone be frustrated? It would be nice to see him go out and get a few marquee names, but most of those blockbuster deals fail. Jared Allen is the only one I'd like to see be a Packer, but that's not going to happen anyways.

Lurker64
03-02-2008, 05:08 PM
I think that pretty much everybody who's signing during the first weekend of free agency is a guy who's expecting to start at his new team. We're not going to pick up any definite starters at any position, since our current starters are fine. Anybody we would pick up in FA who might start would have to win that job in camp.

Those guys don't sign during the first weekend.

Expect in a couple of weeks us to sign some guys for backup roles, like Chillar and Smith, for example.

RashanGary
03-02-2008, 05:10 PM
I think we're going to get a couple UFA's this year too. Our roster is getting harder to make, but we're a good team so more UFA's might be willing to talk this year.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 05:11 PM

At this point there does not seem to be a big knock on Scott; he is athletic and at a good age that would allow him to compete several years going forward. He has potential but is just not a star quite yet so he shouldn't get the huge huge bucks. He's been a solid, but unspectacular starter for Indy.

My worry is somebody who sees the same potential in him will overpay to the tune of 5MIL plus per year.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 05:15 PM
I like Jacob Bell.

He's mature, but no kid.

As others have noted, it's still "stupid money" time. If we can get him at a good price, he's be a player. The problem at G is we have some interesting choices, guys that might just develop into a good player. It'll be hard to figure who gets cut.

Right. OL can sometimes take 2-3 years to develop. Spitz seems like a winner to me. After that we have a list of young guys who have chance. . .

Colledge
Coston
Barbre

I'm not ready to put all of my eggs in any one of these guys basket, but we don't have to. We only have to get 1 of 3 to pan out and we have a good starter to pair with Spitz. I do think one of those three will step up.

On top of that it's supposed to be a really good year for the OL. Thompson said in his last press conference that it's good at the top and deep throughout with olinemen. That tells me that if he takes BPA we'll end up with an OL or two.

I think we'll be OK on the Oline even without UFA. We were OK in the second half of last year and should only get better with development.

Spitz may have been the best of the group but I'm not willing to anoint him as a stable starter yet. Any of these guys may or may not turn out. We were OK in the second half; but when we looked bad on offense it was often due to poor OG play. The Giants game just made that point very glaring.

red
03-02-2008, 05:18 PM
i'm fine with TT taking his time. i learned my lesson from last year

and as far as i'm concerned he's done well so far by adding a second round pick

MJZiggy
03-02-2008, 05:18 PM

At this point there does not seem to be a big knock on Scott; he is athletic and at a good age that would allow him to compete several years going forward. He has potential but is just not a star quite yet so he shouldn't get the huge huge bucks. He's been a solid, but unspectacular starter for Indy.

My worry is somebody who sees the same potential in him will overpay to the tune of 5MIL plus per year.

I'm sorry, I was referring to Faneca. Will Scott work in the zone scheme? Are we even going to keep the zone scheme? Hey, now that I mention it :mrgreen:, is Ryan so effective because of the ZS, or is the scheme effective because of Ryan?

RashanGary
03-02-2008, 05:20 PM
I want them to get better too, Bretsky. Whether it be through the draft, through development or by bringing another player in. I'm just not as sure as you that it's all over for our young guys. I'm not so sure they were all that bad even last year. We were the #3 or 4 offense, right? They were gashing teams in the run game later in the season too. It came together.

If there's a way to get better, GREAT. I'm not so sure our guys were that bad and outside of Faneca I'm not so sure this UFA class is all that good. The Giants Dline made 4 probowlers look like punks in the SB so I don't know if that's the best measure.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 05:24 PM

I'm sorry, I was referring to Faneca. Will Scott work in the zone scheme? Are we even going to keep the zone scheme? Hey, now that I mention it :mrgreen:, is Ryan so effective because of the ZS, or is the scheme effective because of Ryan?

Oops; sorry. Fanecca is 30 or 31 I think. He's an all pro and a nasty player. Perfect fit in any scheme. Honestly, the true reason not many pursued him is $$$. He's going to get 7-8 MIL per year and many teams still don't want to pay an OG that much, especially at that age.

Most feel Scott is a very good fit in a zone scheme; he is quick and mobile.

We are keeping the zone scheme from the sounds of it; I think Grant is solid in any scheme. He did well in the Giants scheme and Green Bay's.

When our Running game sucks IMO it's because our interior OL gets blown off the ball. I like the Dorsey Levins comparison but IMO Grant is faster, stronger, and will be better.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Let's start out by saying this when analyzing the 2008 Draft

In the 6th round we got Ryan Grant

This draft could turn out to be incredibly incredibly huge for the success of the Green Bay Packers.

It appears we already have our RB of the future and it was for a late round pick.

With that start it would be hard for this draft to be anything but successful.

Lurker64
03-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Oops; sorry. Fanecca is 30 or 31 I think. He's an all pro and a nasty player. Perfect fit in any scheme. Honestly, the true reason not many pursued him is $$$. He's going to get 7-8 MIL per year and many teams still don't want to pay an OG that much, especially at that age.

That's pretty much it. When he inks his deal with the Jets, Faneca will be the highest paid offensive lineman in football.

The highest paid offensive lineman in football should not be a 31 year old guard. If you're going to break the bank on a lineman, it's on a 26 year old Left Tackle or something.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 06:24 PM
I like Jacob Bell.

As others have noted, it's still "stupid money" time. If we can get him at a good price, he'd be a player. The problem at G is we have some interesting choices, guys that might just develop into a good player. It'll be hard to figure who gets cut.

I'd prefer Jacob Bell as well; but I'm convinced he's going to get more money that TT is willing to spend so that is why I think Scott might be a nice consolation prize.

Here are some recent comments

Word is ...

Jacob Bell, G
Free Agent On Rams' radar March 2: With Alan Faneca off the market, the Rams have turned their sights on Bell, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Bell, the Titans' starting left guard for three of the past four seasons, is scheduled to pay a free-agent visit to Rams Park on Monday. Bell and Indianapolis' Jake Scott are widely considered the best guards in this year's free agency pool other than Faneca

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=35265A469082A5B11152D45670AF45FC? id=09000d5d806a3052&template=with-video&confirm=true

Harlan Huckleby
03-02-2008, 06:50 PM
But because Williams was traded, he is listed under the "Lost/Released" column as "traded for '08 2nd" I think he should be in the "Gains" column, too, as "Franchised-but traded for '08 2nd".

Williams was traded!? How come there aren't some 200-post-long threads about this, and at least a couple polls????

Damn, PackerRats is sagging, I expect to be able to read the thread titles and keep up.

Williams for a 2nd rounder doesn't sound very good to me. I'd rather have an established player than a 2nd round pick. But I don't doubt that was his market value.

Bretsky
03-02-2008, 06:56 PM
But because Williams was traded, he is listed under the "Lost/Released" column as "traded for '08 2nd" I think he should be in the "Gains" column, too, as "Franchised-but traded for '08 2nd".

Williams was traded!? How come there aren't some 200-post-long threads about this, and at least a couple polls????

Damn, PackerRats is sagging, I expect to be able to read the thread titles and keep up.

Williams for a 2nd rounder doesn't sound very good to me. I'd rather have an established player than a 2nd round pick. But I don't doubt that was his market value.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=11454&start=0

Tony Oday
03-02-2008, 06:57 PM
We dont have that many threads on a second tier topped out player ;)

Harlan Huckleby
03-02-2008, 07:02 PM
hey, he was good enough to franchise!

we get multiple threads when Ben Steele gets cut.

Tony Oday
03-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Im just breaking balls...yeah I have been watching a lot of the Sopranos.

Patler
03-02-2008, 07:11 PM

Looks like we will have to take turns reading to Harlan again. :(

KYPack
03-02-2008, 08:14 PM
I like Jacob Bell.

I'd prefer Jacob Bell as well; but I'm convinced he's going to get more money that TT is willing to spend so that is why I think Scott might be a nice consolation prize.

Here are some recent comments

Word is ...

Jacob Bell, G
Free Agent On Rams' radar March 2: With Alan Faneca off the market, the Rams have turned their sights on Bell, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Bell, the Titans' starting left guard for three of the past four seasons, is scheduled to pay a free-agent visit to Rams Park on Monday. Bell and Indianapolis' Jake Scott are widely considered the best guards in this year's free agency pool other than Faneca

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=35265A469082A5B11152D45670AF45FC? id=09000d5d806a3052&template=with-video&confirm=true

Well, we're on the same page, B. That must mean this is all wrong, eh?

Bell is an LG. That would map to our needs better. The Zone blocking that we run (which ain't the ZBS, but that another story) would be no problem for him. I, too, think Bell will get paid at a high rate. A rate higher than our current Oline lads are being paid and we got Tausch coming up.

A lot of teams would like to add a 4 year guard who knows what he's doing

I still can't figure out why Bell is in Fisher's dog house. Tennessee has all kinds of cap room. They could sign 4 "Bells" and still be in good cap shape. Bell must have pissed somebody off.

I like him, but doubt we will sign him.

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Have you seen the list of FAs this team will have after the 2009 season? It's long. We're going to need the extra cap room soon. Those guys will need to be extended this offseason or next--or we risk losing them.